What REALLY is the windows 8 pro upgrade

If you had a full oem disc, why would you not have a full oem key?

because as i stated i plan to torrent the full oem disc but purchase the upgrade key, since i technically am upgrading and its a helluva lot cheaper.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    CovertDeath
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5Ghz
    Motherboard
    AsRock 990FX Extreme 4
    Memory
    G-skill 4Gb @ 1600 DDR3 x 2 (8Gb @ 1600)
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 670
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    WD 500Gb
    64Gb SSD Sata3
    PSU
    TX750W Corsair 80 Silver plus certified
    Case
    AzzA
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Logitech MX518
    Internet Speed
    15/2.5
its the same thing as long as your HDD remains functional, in the event of a HDD failure would a pure upgrade copy only kind of screw you over???

say i purchase the upgrade copy and make a day 1 image right after install... 3 months down the road my OS HDD crashes and can't be restored so i run down to my local best-buy and purchase a new HDD. i throw it in my system when i get home, now what? it seems to me like in this situation i have to install windows 7 first just so i can install my upgrade copy of windows 8 again.

now if i had a full OEM win8 pro DVD that i torrent from the internet then can i just use this to install win8 using the CD-Key i legally purchased for that UPGRADE version of windows?

I've had this situation happen before and don't want to leave myself hanging in the event it happens again

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    CovertDeath
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5Ghz
    Motherboard
    AsRock 990FX Extreme 4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 670
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    WD 500Gb
    64Gb SSD Sata3
    PSU
    Case
    AzzA
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Logitech MX518
    Internet Speed
    15/2.5
You can restore an image to a different hard drive, I do it all of the time.

Yes, you would need to reinstall 7 if you didn't want to use an image.

I would suggest if clean installs are this important to you, just but the system builder OEM full license. Or get a technet subscription which has lots of software for just 199.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
how do you use a system restore though if all you have is a upgrade copy? will it still boot from bios and give the option to restore or is that a full oem option?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    CovertDeath
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5Ghz
    Motherboard
    AsRock 990FX Extreme 4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 670
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    WD 500Gb
    64Gb SSD Sata3
    PSU
    Case
    AzzA
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Logitech MX518
    Internet Speed
    15/2.5
I image with either acronis or macrium, and I boot from their recovery media disks and lay the iamge back down from there.

I would have to believe the ugrade disc would boot and let you do a system restore.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Speaking from Experience, if you have an upgrade disk you will have to upgrade from a pre-installed windows deployment because it seems that Microsoft has stopped people from using a fresh install on an upgrade installation.

I received Win8 Pro from the MSDN, and I could not get it to fresh install on any of my Hard drives, I actually had to install a copy of windows 7 and then install from the running version of windows 7.

Just a heads up of what to expect.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel i5 3750k
    Motherboard
    P8Z77-LX 3
    Memory
    16GB Vengence Corsair
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX770 Windforce OC
    Sound Card
    C-Media 7.1 Surround Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq 24" & AOC 23.5" 3D & 19" LG
    Screen Resolution
    3840*1080 & 1440*900
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 500GB SSD
    WD 1.5 TB
    WD 500Gb
    PSU
    Silverstone 800MW
    Case
    inWin DragonRider
    Cooling
    X31 Kraken CPU Coller, 4 * 140mm LED Akasa, One 92mm Fan Akasa
    Keyboard
    Corsair K95
    Mouse
    R.A.T Contagion
    Internet Speed
    150Mb / 10Mb
    Browser
    Chrome x64
    Antivirus
    ESET Nod32
    Other Info
    I'm an old windows 7/Xp User
Speaking from Experience, if you have an upgrade disk you will have to upgrade from a pre-installed windows deployment because it seems that Microsoft has stopped people from using a fresh install on an upgrade installation.

I received Win8 Pro from the MSDN, and I could not get it to fresh install on any of my Hard drives, I actually had to install a copy of windows 7 and then install from the running version of windows 7.

So you can't format the partition/drive you're going to put Win 8 on?? When you start the upgrade can't you select the advanced(custom install option) and from there format the drive??

EDIT: And yes the drive in question would have to have an approved version of Windows(Xp, Vista, 7 or 8RP)..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built: Atomic City Computer
    CPU
    AMD A4-4000 3.0/3.2Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI FM2-A55M-E33
    Memory
    8BG of Corsair DDR3 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    On Board
    Sound Card
    On Boardi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic 27" VA2703
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 500GB, Crucial 120Gb SSD
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    N/A
    Keyboard
    Corsair Raptor K40
    Mouse
    Amazon Generic Optical
    Internet Speed
    56Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox, Chrome and Opera
    Antivirus
    Micro Soft Defender
    Other Info
    Getting this on May 1st:
    AMD A8-6600K

All versions from msdn is retail or volume, there is no upgrade iso.
You must have done something wrong.
There are no special dvd / iso for windows 7 or 8 upgrade. It is the same as retail.
It is the keys which differ only.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Acer 5750 laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2.40 GHz
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 3000
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung ssd 128 GB
    Internet Speed
    100/10

All versions from msdn is retail or volume, there is no upgrade iso.
You must have done something wrong.
There are no special dvd / iso for windows 7 or 8 upgrade. It is the same as retail.
It is the keys which differ only.

I must have done something wrong the three or four times i tried to install it onto a cleanly formated SSD?

Put in disk, run from disk, install to SSD, create the necessary partitions, installation, reboot and back to square one?

The ISO i am using is from the MSDN, and it worked the one time i used it for a legit upgrade and i have had no problems after that, aside from the few glitches and stuff when playing games...

There is really nothing i could have done wrong, i even tried a custom install on my laptop and it did nothing, So speaking from experience if you purchase an upgrade version you will have to upgrade from a previous windows Installation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel i5 3750k
    Motherboard
    P8Z77-LX 3
    Memory
    16GB Vengence Corsair
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX770 Windforce OC
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    3840*1080 & 1440*900
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 500GB SSD
    WD 1.5 TB
    WD 500Gb
    PSU
    Silverstone 800MW
    Case
    inWin DragonRider
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Corsair K95
    Mouse
    R.A.T Contagion
    Internet Speed
    150Mb / 10Mb
    Browser
    Chrome x64
    Antivirus
    ESET Nod32
    Other Info

So you can't format the partition/drive you're going to put Win 8 on?? When you start the upgrade can't you select the advanced(custom install option) and from there format the drive??

EDIT: And yes the drive in question would have to have an approved version of Windows(Xp, Vista, 7 or 8RP)..

I would say you probably CAN format the drive, assuming Win8 installs work similarly to Win7:

Windows 7 Setup does its compliance checking before the phase of Setup where you format the disc. (Unlike with Windows Vista.) This means that you can format your existing hard drive, and blow away a previous Windows version, and not worry about activation. If it was there, Windows 7 will still activate.

From here: Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Pro

I would say you probably CAN format the drive, assuming Win8 installs work similarly to Win7:

Windows 7 Setup does its compliance checking before the phase of Setup where you format the disc. (Unlike with Windows Vista.) This means that you can format your existing hard drive, and blow away a previous Windows version, and not worry about activation. If it was there, Windows 7 will still activate.

Your missing the whole point of my statement,

I could not install windows 8 Pro from MSDN onto a clean SSD, Which means that it was a fresh format. So i plugged the new SSD in, put in the installation media, install > Custom > Create new Partition on SSD. <--- That didn't work.
I had to install a copy of windows 7 pro and then upgrade to get windows 8 to work...

Bunnyj then went on to say that you have to have an approved version of windows to upgrade with.

And if i wanted to format a drive there are tons of other ways to do it, and linking me back to some old Vista - Windows 7 upgrade media tut doesn't even compare to an upgrade from win7 to win8 as it is a completly different kettle of fish.

Oh and can you read the lasts posts in a thread to see if something else has been said regarding the issue instead of grabbing a chunk from the middle, Thanks :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel i5 3750k
    Motherboard
    P8Z77-LX 3
    Memory
    16GB Vengence Corsair
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX770 Windforce OC
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    3840*1080 & 1440*900
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 500GB SSD
    WD 1.5 TB
    WD 500Gb
    PSU
    Silverstone 800MW
    Case
    inWin DragonRider
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Corsair K95
    Mouse
    R.A.T Contagion
    Internet Speed
    150Mb / 10Mb
    Browser
    Chrome x64
    Antivirus
    ESET Nod32
    Other Info

Your missing the whole point of my statement,

I could not install windows 8 Pro from MSDN onto a clean SSD, Which means that it was a fresh format. So i plugged the new SSD in, put in the installation media, install > Custom > Create new Partition on SSD. <--- That didn't work.
I had to install a copy of windows 7 pro and then upgrade to get windows 8 to work...

Bunnyj then went on to say that you have to have an approved version of windows to upgrade with.

And if i wanted to format a drive there are tons of other ways to do it, and linking me back to some old Vista - Windows 7 upgrade media tut doesn't even compare to an upgrade from win7 to win8 as it is a completly different kettle of fish.

Oh and can you read the lasts posts in a thread to see if something else has been said regarding the issue instead of grabbing a chunk from the middle, Thanks :D

Thanks for this post. :) It's just a shame you can't do the install on a clean SSD. My plan is to organize the software I want to install. I have all of it on a separate partition and it's organized well. So all I need to do is write down what I want to do to reinstall the software after I upgrade. I have things on here now I want to get rid of. SO on the 24th I'll finalize my doc, then on the 25th I'll reinstall Windows 7 HP. At that point all I'll install are the two drivers I need and an antivirus. AVG for me right now.

From there on the 26th I'll perform the upgrade to Windows 8 and start to reinstall the software I use.

Yup.. that covers it. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built: Atomic City Computer
    CPU
    AMD A4-4000 3.0/3.2Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI FM2-A55M-E33
    Memory
    8BG of Corsair DDR3 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    On Board
    Sound Card
    On Boardi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic 27" VA2703
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 500GB, Crucial 120Gb SSD
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    N/A
    Keyboard
    Corsair Raptor K40
    Mouse
    Amazon Generic Optical
    Internet Speed
    56Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox, Chrome and Opera
    Antivirus
    Micro Soft Defender
    Other Info
    Getting this on May 1st:
    AMD A8-6600K
Thanks for this post. :) It's just a shame you can't do the install on a clean SSD. My plan is to organize the software I want to install. I have all of it on a separate partition and it's organized well. So all I need to do is write down what I want to do to reinstall the software after I upgrade. I have things on here now I want to get rid of. SO on the 24th I'll finalize my doc, then on the 25th I'll reinstall Windows 7 HP. At that point all I'll install are the two drivers I need and an antivirus. AVG for me right now.

From there on the 26th I'll perform the upgrade to Windows 8 and start to reinstall the software I use.

Yup.. that covers it. :)

Its no problem at all, and i'm glad it helped you :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel i5 3750k
    Motherboard
    P8Z77-LX 3
    Memory
    16GB Vengence Corsair
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX770 Windforce OC
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    3840*1080 & 1440*900
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 500GB SSD
    WD 1.5 TB
    WD 500Gb
    PSU
    Silverstone 800MW
    Case
    inWin DragonRider
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Corsair K95
    Mouse
    R.A.T Contagion
    Internet Speed
    150Mb / 10Mb
    Browser
    Chrome x64
    Antivirus
    ESET Nod32
    Other Info
GUYS:

You absolute CAN install a copy of Windows 8 Pro, from either Technet or MSDN without having anything on the hard drive. It's a full retail release, I am not sure what problem Windows Sniper had, but his experience is not what anybody should expect.

I've loaded the MSDN release onto VM's (they had nothing at the start), I've loaded them onto physical test machines which had Linux previously. I've installed them onto brand spanking new SSD's that I just took out of the box, and they all loaded just fine without having to perform an upgrade.

There is really nothing i could have done wrong, i even tried a custom install on my laptop and it did nothing, So speaking from experience if you purchase an upgrade version you will have to upgrade from a previous windows Installation.

From an upgrade disc, I completely agree with you. You will have to have an OS to install it. However, if you got a download already from MSDN or Technet, they are full versions...not upgrade versions. They come with full retail keys. If you somehow got an upgrade key, it would be the first one that I have ever heard of.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
GUYS:

You absolute CAN install a copy of Windows 8 Pro, from either Technet or MSDN without having anything on the hard drive. It's a full retail release, I am not sure what problem Windows Sniper had, but his experience is not what anybody should expect.

I've loaded the MSDN release onto VM's (they had nothing at the start), I've loaded them onto physical test machines which had Linux previously. I've installed them onto brand spanking new SSD's that I just took out of the box, and they all loaded just fine without having to perform an upgrade.

From an upgrade disc, I completely agree with you. You will have to have an OS to install it. However, if you got a download already from MSDN or Technet, they are full versions...not upgrade versions. They come with full retail keys. If you somehow got an upgrade key, it would be the first one that I have ever heard of.

Could it be that mine was from the MSDN Dreamspark Premium Page, because i just installed it onto my laptop by upgrading from windows 7, where it wouldn't work as a clean install on a new partition.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel i5 3750k
    Motherboard
    P8Z77-LX 3
    Memory
    16GB Vengence Corsair
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX770 Windforce OC
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    3840*1080 & 1440*900
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 500GB SSD
    WD 1.5 TB
    WD 500Gb
    PSU
    Silverstone 800MW
    Case
    inWin DragonRider
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Corsair K95
    Mouse
    R.A.T Contagion
    Internet Speed
    150Mb / 10Mb
    Browser
    Chrome x64
    Antivirus
    ESET Nod32
    Other Info
I don't have a DreamSpark account myself, so I cannot be sure, but as far as I have read these are full retail releases as well and not an upgrade.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Back