What problem does Windows 8 solve?

Summary: Windows 8 is intended to be Microsoft’s platform that does everything for everyone. The problem is it doesn’t solve anyone’s problems, so who will need it?

As Microsoft gets Windows 8 ready for the Consumer Preview coming shortly I am spending a lot of time thinking about the next OS from Redmond. There is a lot to consider given its multiple personalities. It’s a desktop OS, mobile OS, tablet OS, and touch OS all rolled into one. Rather, all rolled into multiple SKUs depending on the hardware involved. I admit to feeling more uneasy about Windows 8 the more I consider what problem(s) it intends to address. Fact is I just don’t see any.

Source

A Guy

It also solves a lot of problems for specific groups like multimedia designers such as myself. Most of the tools used for design benefit the most from touch input. Photoshop is the best example. You would ideally want a touch input to draw on screen.

Huh? I'm not a pro but I do some photo editing and I can't imagine doing it on a touch screen. "Let's mark this area" and have my big ol' finger wobbling all over the screen.

I've used touch screens for work as a control system but I would hate to have to use it for continual use for writing letters and other normal tasks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
Funny how on Android this change is called a "Launcher" and costs less than $5.00....Not sure what Microsoft is thinking when they add a launcher and convince themselves that it justifies more than $100 upgrade cost per PC. Windows 7 is a great OS and I for one cannot really see any reason to pay to upgrade at this point. As someone else posted this release fixes........A Microsoft revenue problem and position's them to play in the tablet market.....not sure why we should pay for that but, to each their own. I for one will be watching for a long....long time before I spring for an upgrade from Windows 7.....I suspect that Business will take a skip on this iteration of Windows and opt for Windows 9 next (skip every other version).Xp -> skip Vista -> Win7 -> Skip 8 -> yup......next upgrade Windows 9.

Yup your right there about the Launcher! I have an Android tablet and I can already customise it to look like W8 and it wouldcost less than £5!
To be honest this feels more like W7.1 + metro

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
To be honest this feels more like W7.1 + metro

Yeah, that's exactly what it is. An OS (or partial one) shoved on top of another OS. Should have been seamless between Metro and the rest of it but it's not. I've warmed up to 8 since the DP and will be using it on my laptop from now on, but MS did a too half-assed a job on this thing. That's my principle criticism now. Although, I wish (among many others) that you could change the five stupid icons that pop up when you move the mouse to the lower right. Is that possible?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
I wish the would bring the Windows 7 style Start Button and Start Menu plus the show Desktop button on the right edge of the Taskbar cause I've been used to using it. I'm still using the "de-Metroed" Developer Preview right now because these stuff are still present there given the tutorial I found on this forum that was removed just a few hours ago because it won't work on the Consumer Preview.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
I wish the would bring the Windows 7 style Start Button and Start Menu plus the show Desktop button on the right edge of the Taskbar cause I've been used to using it.

Show desktop is still there, just not an official button. Go down to the lower right as always and left click to go to the desktop, or right click to get an option to go or peek. If you want to always peek, right click, change the option, then when you go down there you will peek. Don't have to click.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
I wish the would bring the Windows 7 style Start Button and Start Menu plus the show Desktop button on the right edge of the Taskbar cause I've been used to using it. I'm still using the "de-Metroed" Developer Preview right now because these stuff are still present there given the tutorial I found on this forum that was removed just a few hours ago because it won't work on the Consumer Preview.

Hey Vertex, just download and install ViStart. It will give you your start button back, and access to your programs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail

Hey Vertex, just download and install ViStart. It will give you your start button back, and access to your programs.
Yes, thanks for that. I saw someone on this forum post a screenshot of Vistart this morning. Was considering it as an option but looking at the screenshot, it may not be that perfect.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built
One problem it solves is all the confusion and problems when setting up a home network.

Windows 7 and specifically Home group had quite a few problems. The biggest problem was that the networking interface in Windows 7 wasn't very consumer "idiot" proof.

In contrast the new networking interface is much simpler to use, has no bugs far as I can tell and is pretty much idiot proof with less possibility of pushing the wrong buttons. It's easier to set up a Home group now and it will be easier to keep people on the network from snooping into personal files on other machines.

I worked in the networking section over in the Windows seven forum so I'm very familiar with all the shortfalls that Windows 7 had in the networking department.

It seems that Microsoft put great effort into improving the network interface in Windows 8. It's more secure, easier to set up and share files, seems to have no obvious bugs far as I can tell.

I think people will be much happier with this new network interface and it will also greatly reduce the number of complaints associated with Home groups and networking in general.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
It feels faster. Although I don't know in the end will it actually be as smooth and fast as it is now since there probably isn't as much going on right now compared to the final version. But if it can be this quick then performance-wise it feels even better than ever before. I installed it on my cousin's computer that was slug-like with vista but this feels very smooth.

Their attempt at combining a mobile and desktop world is a failure though. The contrast is very obvious it doesn't feel like it could be part of the same world. In metro everything is flat to an ugly degree. There is no depth and while that is nice for things like content when you are looking at a video, reading on a browser the minimalism really lets the content show through other parts are too awkward like the metro menu. It's so flat that it takes away from the experience. The transitions are nice but just seeing type slapped onto a white background with flat buttons that just look like boxes(or looks like any of the metro tiles) just isn't aesthetically pleasing nor is it all that user friendly.

The desktop has some nice changes the borders are no longer round so now it matching with the "metro look" but at the same time I don't think the roundness was the problem it's more of the badly done glassy aero effect. All that blue in the hover effect in the scrollbars. The addition of the ribbon just makes windows more cluttered than ever before. I hope they really rethink the User-interface design. They seem to be confused if they are really trying to blend these two mobile and desktop because it just feels like two different worlds. I mean obviously they are for two different uses but testing out the features for example if you search instead of going through your desktop you are brought to the metro search which just feels uncomfortable, aesthetically and confusing as to where are you looking through and since the user is searching in the desktop it makes it weird that it would go to the metro same thing for settings.

They keep claiming you can just use one or the other but then if you keep moving into one or the other for task then it makes that statement false. They don't help by making the aesthetics so obviously different. Hopefully they work on the user-interface and the graphics a little more and that isn't the final look of everything. Usually I complain about the start button it's so ugly and they need to work on how they implement the "superbar" but removing the start menu is just off. The old search through the menu was much better and less cluttered feeling. Also where would one access programs? They put it on the start screen but they keep getting the metro part into the mix. The fact is if you are on the desktop installing a program you obviously don't want to have to be in the metro space to get to your programs. They automatically add that program to the metro screen which is weird because it's not like you can actually use it in the metro interface it brings you back to the problem they say you can use one or the other or both. But it feels like they are forcing you into using the metro interface. Also the desktop needs a little more time I mean with the useful start menu removed(which I hope they add back they still need to make hover effects and other effects with the programs pinned to the super bar better. They also need to make the arrangement of the superbar more aesthetically pleasing.

So far the only thing it seems to solve if they can keep it up is making things feel faster and smoother(maybe it's using less memory which is great) but as for the actual user experience and interface they need a whole lot of more work.(especially since this could become another vista)

My Computer

Their attempt at combining a mobile and desktop world is a failure though.

Could not agree more and even Apple, whether you like them or not, still have iOS and OSX. Touch screen works fine on my mobile but simply does not transfer to the desktop - it really is that simple. Like many have already commented, I know companies that refuse to 'upgrade' from Office XP or 2003 simply to get the ribbon look that takes up more screen real estate. They question the benefits and there are none.

Many of the early press previews are negative about the Metro UI but nonetheless probably a good representation of users in general. Contributors to these forums may be willing to play around and drill down to get things looking just how they like them. In the real world though that doesn't happen and unless things are intuitive from the start, folks loose interest very quickly. I hope MS take many of the comments on board but don't hold your breath. They dug their heels in over the ribbon toolbar. So this could be a Vista moment.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
windows 9 is another increment increase, windows 10 will really present us with a wow factor, it's a few years off though :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro ($39.99 upgrade)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel I5 3570K overclocked to 4.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V LX
    Memory
    Cosrair DDR3-1600 (4 x 4gb)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GT 610 2GB
    Sound Card
    None
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 27" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x0180
    Hard Drives
    Seagate HDD 500gb (windows)
    Seagate HDD 1.5tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    PSU
    CoolMax 700watt
    Case
    Cosiar R400 Carbide series
    Cooling
    Cool Master H212
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    PowerUp 3 button mouse
    Internet Speed
    12mb down, 1mb up
    Other Info
    qty. (5) 120mm fans, four are monitored by motherboard.
    Logitech T650 Touchpad for touch screen gestures
I'm a gamer; I moved from XP to 7 mostly because DirectX11 is 7-only. Sure, XP was getting long in the tooth, but I could play all my games in it, even the old crap from DOS and not-so-old 16-bit crud. The move to 7 also coincided with my first foray into 64-bit.

Turns out quite a few things broke, especially plenty of foreign language 16-bit stuff. I picked up 7 Pro recently because of the VM feature albeit I've actually yet to try it out yet (although I've read some articles that don't really give me a good feeling about it).

Don't really see any reason to switch to 8, considering the switch to 7 felt like "just yesterday". It's got to be (1) really compelling - and I don't see this happening since MS's much-delayed "next gen file system" isn't in 8 last I heard - and (2) more time has passed. I'm only just now feeling semi-comfortable doing on-the-fly reg edits and manually moving stuff around at the file/folder level instead of wading through the UI. Not gonna junk all that just for a cosmetic upgrade, unless 8 is really the same beast as 7 under the surface.

Admittedly I could install it on one of the throwaway laptops we have lying around here, but you know what... these days it's like I'm always installing and tinkering with something. Screw that. When I get home from work I want to do something else.

In the meantime I'll learn about 8 from the fine folk here, and by watching over the shoulders of more adventurous colleagues. In these things it pretty much always pays off to "look before you leap", as the saying goes. I figure there's plenty of time to wait before a few service packs come along and people have had time to argue over who has the best "top X tips on how to tweak Windows 8" lists.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Pro x64
    Self-built rig
    CPU
    Koa i5-2550K
    Motherboard
    N/A
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire ATI 6870 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    RealTek HD Audio / ATI HDMI Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung HDTV Monitor T23A350
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    - SSD (C:)
    - HDD (D:)
    - BD-ROM (E:)
    PSU
    N/A
    Case
    N/A
    Cooling
    N/A
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    N/A
    Internet Speed
    Unifi home (5mbps)
    Other Info
    N/A
I'm a gamer
MS's much-delayed "next gen file system" isn't in 8 last I heard

It's definitely their Duke Nukem Forever. Are they even still talking about it? It had passed the point of being embarrassing several years ago.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
windows 9 is another increment increase, windows 10 will really present us with a wow factor, it's a few years off though :(

We've hit the jackpot then as MS have stated Win7 support for several years to come. Seriously though, I've heard from others that Win8 does offer under the hood improvements. If MS could just overcome the resistance to the Metro UI and offer a classic desktop option then they may just pull it off. From reports though I doubt if they will change much between now and release and I for one cannot be bothered to go through the learning curve to replace the Win7 rig I've got a the moment which is working just fine.

So for me at least Win8 doesn't solve any problems. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
It solves the problem of a heavily infected used computer with no recovery partition or OS disc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8 Consumer Preview
    Toshiba Satellite A105-S4397
    CPU
    Intel Centrino Duo 1.73 GHz T2250 2MB L2, 533MHz FSB
    Motherboard
    Mobile Intel 945GM Express
    Memory
    4GB PC4200
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA 950
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.4" built-in
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    160GB 5400RPM Hitachi
    PSU
    15VDC@5A or 12VDC at 6600MaH Li
    Case
    Plastic
    Cooling
    Smallest fan on the planet
    Keyboard
    Querty Eng/German
    Mouse
    Yes, but I've set traps
    Internet Speed
    10M
    Other Info
    Clean install from a corrupted and virus laden Vista original factory install on this ancient laptop.

Runs like it was at Indy!
I for one cannot be bothered to go through the learning curve to replace the Win7 rig I've got a the moment which is working just fine
I assume you are not over 90 years old. And if you are a bit younger, like me, it should be fun to learn new things. Although I do not agree with every gizmo they put into Windows 8, it is fun to explore.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Windows 7 and specifically Home group had quite a few problems. The biggest problem was that the networking interface in Windows 7 wasn't very consumer "idiot" proof.

Could they not have just changed that with an upgrade to Win 7?

The differences I saw weren't something that an update would normally be able to fix.

It's now near impossible to share the same file twice. With Windows 7 sharing a file twice would result in the file share icon showing up twice on the "shared with" machines. To fix the problem you had to run back and forth between machines to "unshare" the double shared file so that the extra Icon goes away. There are also notices when doing this with Windows 8 that allows for the subfolders to inherit the permission of the parent folders which simplifies the process and makes it much more idiot proof.

I see quite a few changes in regard to idiot proofing the Homegroup set up also. There are too many to list really but it's safe to say that the network and sharing problems associated with Windows 7 will now be a thing of the past.

I mostly work in the networking section over at the Seven forums so I've seen just about every flaw in regards to the network set up with Windows 7 and believe me there were quite a few of them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
The differences I saw weren't something that an update would normally be able to fix.

I did notice that home networking has gotten more confusing with the past few versions but if they really wanted to do it, it could have been an update. It is amazing what sort of patching you can do if you put your mind to it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
Back