What is your favorite default app? Which do you use most?

Just a quick question here, @mikeytg is it completely safe to always sleep your computer instead of rebooting it for months? I mean I never thought about it really. Doesn't doing that have any downsides? Kinda feels a bit awkward to me, but I can get used to it if it is technically safe to do so.

In practice I reboot about once a month for various reasons, from updating software to "seems like a good idea". For the most part it is safe to use sleep as long as your OS and applications (mainly the browser for me) are solid enough to take it. Older versions of windows were rife with memory leaks and other programming deficiencies that would make them eventually crash or slow down to a crawl. I have found that Windows 8.1 and Chrome can run continuously without these kinds of failures.

There are still some caveats to doing this. One I know of is in Google Chrome. It is not capable of updating itself unless it is closed and reopened (a reasonable requirement!). If an update is available to Chrome but it has been running continuously, the only indication you'll see is that the three-line menu marker on the toolbar will turn red. Most windows updates, on the other hand, will happen as it is running and it will tell you if it needs a restart.

There is also a security consequence to leaving the PC in sleep mode. Even with full disk encryption your full running system remains in RAM when the computer is sleeping. It is theoretically possible if someone (NSA?) stole the PC that they could access this RAM and get the downlow on your most secure info like passwords and encryption keys. I am willing to take this risk when my PC is home, when I travel I shut it down.

I'm sure others here have differing opinions on this, the above are mine alone!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 consumer 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire M5 481PT-6644
    CPU
    Intel Core I5
    Memory
    6 GB
    Hard Drives
    Spinning/SSD hybrid 500GB/20GB
    Mouse
    ELAN Trackpad
    Internet Speed
    18mbs/5mbs
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
For laptops, it makes more sense to use Sleep Mode because of battery. My PCs (Desktop) never get shut down for long time except when I go out of town for few days or need to upgrade or test something. Internet is always active and so are few sites open on one monitor an TV running on other one, day and night, 24/7.
For people using automatic windows maintenance should leave it running overnight at least once a week so it can do the job it's supposed to do. If you want you can schedule it for that time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Thanks for the explanation mikeytg! :thumbsup: I usually use hibernate a lot more than I use sleep.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics