What happens when you delete the EFI partition?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo G580 20157
    CPU
    i3-3110M
    Memory
    4gb ddr3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel HD 4000
A PC with uEFI BIOS & Secure Boot, will only boot a DVD/CD that is signed by Microsoft for use wth Secure boot.
Try a Windows 8 x64 DVD or Windows 8 Startup Repair CD, the repair disk must be made on a PC with uEFI BIOS & Secure Boot.

I made a Windows 8 repair drive, USB, and it booted up fine. But then it just gives me the same set of tools you get with the advanced restart menu. Choosing UEFI change, even though now booted from USB, still just restarted and took me into windows, didn't get me into BIOS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Lenovo G580 20157
    CPU
    i3-3110M
    Memory
    4gb ddr3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel HD 4000
Hi, I have a Lenovo G580 with Windows 8 pre-installed also. I just got it 3 weeks ago, since then I've wanted to install a Crucial SSD 128 GB as the main bootable drive. I was able to get into the BIOS several times but can not anymore ... it seems that once in BIOS you have to disable the secure boot mode or you will be locked out. Seems Windows doesn't like any other entities trying to boot their software.

My last computer was an old Pentium 4 that could barely run win 7 32bit and the old GPU wasn't able to handle any kind of HD video lol. I am very happy with this Laptop but it would sure be nice to be able to get my bios back so I can install my SSD instead of having it as an extra USB 3.0 eternal drive.

I've let Lenovo know what's happened and am waiting for them to (hopefully) post a downloadable BIOS in their support site so I can re-flash the BIOS and disable secure boot. Please let me know if you've found an answer ... they're people out there that build custom BIOS' if you ask nicely haha. Anyways ... I hope we can find a "fix" or "work around" ...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Hi, I have a Lenovo G580 with Windows 8 pre-installed also. I just got it 3 weeks ago, since then I've wanted to install a Crucial SSD 128 GB as the main bootable drive. I was able to get into the BIOS several times but can not anymore ... it seems that once in BIOS you have to disable the secure boot mode or you will be locked out. Seems Windows doesn't like any other entities trying to boot their software.

My last computer was an old Pentium 4 that could barely run win 7 32bit and the old GPU wasn't able to handle any kind of HD video lol. I am very happy with this Laptop but it would sure be nice to be able to get my bios back so I can install my SSD instead of having it as an extra USB 3.0 eternal drive.

I've let Lenovo know what's happened and am waiting for them to (hopefully) post a downloadable BIOS in their support site so I can re-flash the BIOS and disable secure boot. Please let me know if you've found an answer ... they're people out there that build custom BIOS' if you ask nicely haha. Anyways ... I hope we can find a "fix" or "work around" ...

Welcome to EightForums.

Check out the above thread from Lenove Community.

No need to set Secure Boot to DISABLED to install Windows 8 on a SSD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Does this happen with Windows 8 on all brands/models, or just G580 lenovos? ha

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Lenovo G580 20157
    CPU
    i3-3110M
    Memory
    4gb ddr3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel HD 4000
Just G580 lenovos at this time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Just a quick addition. I recently purchased a Lenovo Z580 and had exactly the same problems as described by MadWoLF. I also tried all the possible solutions other posters have suggested without success.

PCWorld (UK) where I purchased the laptop were unable to resolve the problems. Lenovo (UK) tech support seemed unaware of the problems I were explaining and unable to suggest a solution.

I have seen posts on other sites where the people have the same problems but the only solutions anybody could suggest was a BIOS upgrade that does not seem to be available.

Luckily for me, as mine was new, my solution was to return the Lenovo Z580 to PCWorld for a refund. I purchased a ASUS N56VZ as a replacement which after the initial personalisation of Windows 8, also lost the keyboard access to the BIOS.

I then went into Windows 8 and was able to access the same BIOS screen, I had previously accessed via the keyboard, via the change UEFI firmware settings button.

Like MadWoLF this did not work on my Lenovo Z580 and just continued as if you were just rebooting the system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Windows 7 Vista XP
    ASUS N56VZ
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GFORCE GT 650M 2GB
C/P
My issue is not fixed, but somehow i'm able to open my bios

1. turn off your laptop (no hybrid shutdown)
2. Press and hold F2 (while ur lappy is still off)
3. now power on laptop
(still holding F2,)
4. "Please wait" will appear, where previously was "F2 = Bios, f12= boot device" (similar to this text), with big bold lenovo logo in center
5. now release F2
voila its BIOS, which actaully functioning (no freeze)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G580
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3230M
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, standard user account
    Other Info
    UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8 product key.
I love it,

I have a lenovo lapflop as well.. this company.. i won't.. i wont. i promise..

i'm just going to say this, even if you get into your bios, you ain't gonna be able to change anything anyway. Lenovo is the absolutely worst for locking bios and settings..

but when you fully power down your lapflop. and then you only press the "novo" button on the side, if you can't get into your bios that way then it's time for a major overhaul.. that's ridiculous if you can't get into the bios that way.

Have you tried the old crap of turning the computer completely off with shift shutdown,take out the power cable, then take off the battery pack..and then holding the power button for 15 seconds or longer and then put the battery back in, then power cable.. then press the novo button ...

oh my god you have a lenovo.. my deep humble sincere apologies..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
i have to.. i'm so sorry i have to.. haha..

chineselvono.JPG

ok i'm done, I promise.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5