What did people do when Windows 95 came out?

When 95 rolled out, it wasn't, I'd say, incredibly easy to use right off the bat because it was that new of a UI?

I never used any manual. I was able to figure most of it out pretty quickly. And what I couldn't figure out there was plenty of various forum users to fill in the blanks. However, right from the start, win95 just seemed right.

Metro, just seems wrong, on the desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
The information available on a forum does not compare to the complexity of systems administration.
There were literally thousands of configuration details and troubleshooting tasks that needed to be addressed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
Windows 95 was well received. There was some sarcastic comments, like why do you have to click on start to stop it. But, in general, other than the OS/2 people, it was well liked.

There wasn't anywhere near the installed base as there is now. The average machine had 1-4 MB of memory (yes, that's Megabyte, not Gigabyte) and there was some complaining that Windows 95 really needed 8MB (and 8MB of memory at the time cost about $400).

There was a lot to like about it, and it was a LOT more stable than Windows 3.11. And you could really multitask.

Hi there
It seems the whole of I.T is fraught with "Inconsistences" like pressing the Start button to get to the SHUT DOWN screen.

For the life of me I can't understand when some I.T colleagues are saying things like "Error occured when program code ENTERED a USER EXIT ??? in normal speak you don't usually ENTER an EXIT ??? ( Or do you just to be obtuse !).

Then in say Visual basic it's quite common to see things like I = I + 1.

Now I'm sure no mathematician on this planet (or anywhere else in the Universe for that matter) would possibly agree with that statement.

However this sort of stuff works so we just let them get on with it.

Even outside I.T these things happen -- ever been to a Football Stadium where you SIT in the STANDS too. !! or at a BOXING match where THE RING as actually a SQUARE.

Win 95 WAS fine. W7 IS fine W8 NEEDS mega changes TO BE fine.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Well said, Jimbo. I remember the DOS-to-Windows transition much better than the 3-to-95 because the first Windows was so dramatic. To me, Windows 95 was just better, not jolting in any way. Always hated DOS, thought it was archaic. Remember distinctly in March 1991 because we were at a spring training game in Arizona, a friend and I talking to my friend's dad who was asking us if Windows 3 was easy to use. We said - you have to be a total moron to not be able to use Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
Has no one here made themselves familar with linux? Ubuntu maybe? Lol take a look at what linux users have been doing for over six years and now windows comes running like a dope dealer trying to make a sale. Everything that someone has been complaining about the new windows 8 has already been tried and true in linux the metro desktop linux perfected so well that what the I phone and android phones have come to resemble now comes windows playing catchup and they were slow into the transition why because they control the mass market not many. People will know that windows 8 technology has been out for almost a complete decade in linux

My Computer

System One

• OS
    android
Has no one here made themselves familar with linux? Ubuntu maybe? Lol take a look at what linux users have been doing for over six years and now windows comes running like a dope dealer trying to make a sale. Everything that someone has been complaining about the new windows 8 has already been tried and true in linux the metro desktop linux perfected so well that what the I phone and android phones have come to resemble now comes windows playing catchup and they were slow into the transition why because they control the mass market not many. People will know that windows 8 technology has been out for almost a complete decade in linux

I've used Ubuntu 10 and 11. Meh. 10 feels like mac os, which is partly the reason why I wanted to use so I get a feel for how the mac os works. It's basically the same in mac except for bland gray colors with some blue highlights. 11 is a strange beast, it's like Windows 7 clashed with mac clashed with 8. It's weird....

Speaking of such, what Linux versions act like Windows 8? I kind of want to take a gander at those...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Every linux is the same just update your packages and and repositories linux is the most powerful system in the world even on a computer from 6 years ago you can't know half of what linux has to offer by just installing the live cd lol there are literaly weeks and months worth of options available to all who care to see past the immediate ui. What you see when you install any linux distro is possibly only the immediate feel you get because linux has been trying to emulate the out of box experience you get from windows go past that and you will see how bad windows is trying to be like linux the graphics is literaly amazing when it is configured windows has droves of people that can't configure a dam thing past putting there but in the chair in front of their pc. Beyond graphics is the sheer capability that you see windows has taken away from the computer in general . Ie windows 8 and all of its features has been on linux computers since about 06-08 when computers weren't half as powerful as they are now and yet no one knew this unless they've been usin linux for a handfull of years

My Computer

System One

• OS
    android
Well said, Jimbo. I remember the DOS-to-Windows transition much better than the 3-to-95 because the first Windows was so dramatic. To me, Windows 95 was just better, not jolting in any way. Always hated DOS, thought it was archaic. Remember distinctly in March 1991 because we were at a spring training game in Arizona, a friend and I talking to my friend's dad who was asking us if Windows 3 was easy to use. We said - you have to be a total moron to not be able to use Windows.

So Colonel, when you went onto 3.1 how did you connect to the Internet, how did you install a hard drive, how did you add a video card, how did you connect to Bulletin Boards. Sure if you liked clicking on icons, you'd have to be a moron not to be able to do that anything else was terribly hard, I know, I used to repair computers in those days.
The only way to get Windows running properly was if you knew how to use DOS. Also how did you connect to a network, all the games were DOS. I could go on and on, but I can assure you, if you didnt know DOS, the chances of running Windows 3.1 properly were minimal.
There also was no way you could build a computer if you didn't know DOS very, very well. I know because I built plenty, out of second hand parts and old HDD's, motherboards and the odd video card that was around in those days. Windows was just sitting on top of DOS, so if you didn't have that right you had no chance of running Windows.
I can pretty well guarantee that if you didn't know how to use DOS in those days you didn't know how to run a computer. When Windows came out most companies were still running Word Perfect 5.1 and Lotus,Plus various DOS databases so again, nothing to do with Windows.
Actually Colonel what you said is one of the funniest comments I've read about the transition from DOS to Windows 3.1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Hi,

I'd say the chances of keeping W3.x running without knowing DOS were indeed very slim.
Yet, compared to any current OS it was still child's play for anyone willing to dig into it. It was quite a bit of fun to play with cache settings, memory management, defrag utilities and so on.
Basically anything could be tuned to suit your system and your own needs.

Knowing DOS is always a good start as it gives a pretty good insight of how computers actually work. Makes you wonder how many of the young ones still do nowadays....

O, since someone asked earlier, W95 and plug and play.
Ah, the problem with that one was that there were of course still so many legacy (non p&p) cards about and quite often the install logic for the p&p ones was badly written. Especially so in the early years of p&p.
So you had a bios setting to deactivate the presence of a P&P ready OS so you could manually install cards pretty much the old way. Then you often also had to reserve IRQ or memory adress lines so card a took those and card b could not take any other free yet reserved resources etc.
Next in line were the manual edits of the registry so you could fix some stuff install routines had mucked up and so on.
Even then there was no gaurantee for it to work in the long run and if someone pulled a card or replaced one for something else you could quite often start all over again....

Still, after a while you'd know the tricky hardware and we sure were determined to get it working even with the quite limited resources of those days as you see, there was no such thing as a virtual IRQ or dynamic adressing.
In those days you had to reboot a machine for just about any change you made to a system. Never rebooted so many machines so many times as back in those days....
Yep, you had to know your stuff. But when you were good at it everyone was quite impressed.....

Cheers, ;)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W2K8S R2 STD, W7 ULTIMATE X64
    DELL OPTIPLEX 745
    CPU
    INTEL Q6600
    Motherboard
    DELL
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL INTEGRATED CHIPSET Q965
OMG, I loathed trying to fix IRQ clashes. :mad:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
.....So Colonel, when you went onto 3.1 how did you connect to the Internet,.

Internet with Windows 3.1 ????? a very limited number of peoples was using Internet before 1995, Windows 3.11 was not supporting natively TCP/IP, With the release of Windows 95 we see more peoples connecting to Internet.

Less young peoples like me will remember the first advertising of Windows 95 with the sound " Start Me UP" of the Rolling Stone, that was the start of a long series of Windows with a Start button, we was starting to so thing, it end with Windows 8

here the ad of Windows 95

Microsoft Windows 95 Launch Video - Start me Up - YouTube

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.

Internet with Windows 3.1 ????? a very limited number of peoples was using Internet before 1995, Windows 3.11 was not supporting natively TCP/IP, With the release of Windows 95 we see more peoples connecting to Internet.

Less young peoples like me will remember the first advertising of Windows 95 with the sound " Start Me UP" of the Rolling Stone, that was the start of a long series of Windows with a Start button, we was starting to so thing, it end with Windows 8

The Start button technically hasn't gone, it's just moved to the right of the screen and now Start has gone from a menu to a screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

I was using the Internet with Windows 3.1, that's why I asked how did he connect to it. Windows 3.1 was not a Morons platform, far from it, to do anything meaningful you had to know a lot of stuff, even things like sound on Windows 3.1 was very tough, sound cards had their own settings and were very hard to set up. I would love to see any normal person repair a computer with Windows 3.1 without having an extensive knowledge of DOS, it just wouldn't happen, as a matter of fact impossible.
Windows 8 is a 100 times easier than Windows 3.1, it really is Child's play. All they need for the retail version is a couple of minutes video and a half page PDF and you're good to go. On a tablet you wouldn't even need that much time, in a lot of ways I think it will be simpler than IOS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Same and the friggen reboots caught a neve like nothing else hell a game back then might take a whole day to configure because of hardware conflict and then there was driver issues that seemed to come anew with every reboot

My Computer

System One

• OS
    android

I was using the Internet with Windows 3.1, that's why I asked how did he connect to it. Windows 3.1 was not a Morons platform, far from it, to do anything meaningful you had to know a lot of stuff, even things like sound on Windows 3.1 was very tough, sound cards had their own settings and were very hard to set up. I would love to see any normal person repair a computer with Windows 3.1 without having an extensive knowledge of DOS, it just wouldn't happen, as a matter of fact impossible.
Windows 8 is a 100 times easier than Windows 3.1, it really is Child's play. All they need for the retail version is a couple of minutes video and a half page PDF and you're good to go. On a tablet you wouldn't even need that much time, in a lot of ways I think it will be simpler than IOS.

And also tell the user with a mouse system, "Now where is the Start button usually at?" Works every time! :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Same and the friggen reboots caught a neve like nothing else hell a game back then might take a whole day to configure because of hardware conflict and then there was driver issues that seemed to come anew with every reboot

Oh my GOD. I would had died. And I get pissed when something menial goes awry.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Not to mention the stack of boot-disks (all different), and tweaking your
base memory to eke out those few extra kb.....:geek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)
    Acer Aspire Ethos AS8951G 'Super-Laptop'.
    CPU
    Intel Sandy-Bridge i7-2670QM quad-core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 3000HD / Ge-Force GT555M 2 gigs
    Sound Card
    Realtek/5.1 Dolby built-in including speakers.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    18.4" full-HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1024
    Hard Drives
    2x750GB Toshiba internal, 1x500GB Seagate external, 1x2TB Seagate external, 1x640GB Toshiba pocket-drive, 1x640GB Samsung pocket drive.
    PSU
    Stock
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    Air-cooled
    Mouse
    I/R cordless.
    Internet Speed
    Borderline pathetic.
The disks the god damn boot disks oh man anyone remeber putting together tons of boot disk utilities way befor bootdisk .com or hirens boot wow I kinda forget all those techniques I used back then and hell before all that was lotus how I hated lotus it never did anything but impressed ma "oh how the heck did you do that you know I've been reading this book for a month and put one disk in lmao there were like eight I think

My Computer

System One

• OS
    android
Actually Colonel what you said is one of the funniest comments I've read about the transition from DOS to Windows 3.1.

Bill, I didn't say I didn't know how to get around in DOS. I said I hated it. Big difference.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps

Bill, I didn't say I didn't know how to get around in DOS. I said I hated it. Big difference.

Fair enough, that's probably why you hate Metro, the minimalist style, and that's why I like it, sort of reminds me of the old DOS interfaces.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back