What Chance of Windows 8 being the new Vista?

Bandwidth is a huge issue in most of the world.

We are getting more performance with lower bandwidth, much more improvement needs to be available before any cloud based OS would be viable.

Big business will start using it first.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
Regardless of bandwith, I would not think that it is a very practical proposition for an individual user. For corporations and WW teams that may be practical, buth with whom do I share my stuff.

On the other hand I would think that some rarely used programs may be handy in the cloud. Then we need not install and maintain them on our systems.

To a certain extent we already make use of such services today, e.g. Google translator or on-line pdf to docx converters. Plus we all use upload sites for something. So maybe "cloud light" is the answer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I seriously doubt 8 will be another Vista. It will take alot of time to catch on for sure, because it introduces so many radical changes and many people are hesitant to make the jump. So, at least for a good long while, i predict that 7 will continue to be the most popular and currently used Windows OS. Also, 8 is not just a rehashed version of Vista/7 with some minor extras thrown in. It's very, VERY different. And dont forget, in just a few yrs Windows 9 will be out. MS also has a history of making big mistakes, so I wouldnt necessarily bet that they wont put out another Vista-tastrophe in the future. Let's hope not though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Windows Server 2012 R2 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G700
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3632QM, 2.20 GHz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 720M, Intel HD 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 (max)
    Hard Drives
    1 TB HDD (5400 RPM), 1.5 TB HDD (5400 RPM) installed in a 12.7mm disc drive caddy
    Case
    Lenovo
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Laptop/notebook keyboard/touchpad
    Internet Speed
    It varies, since I'm mobile most of the time
    Browser
    Chromium (the open-source browser which Google Chrome is derived from)
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Privatefirewall
    Other Info
    I will add more information here later
Also, 8 is not just a rehashed version of Vista/7 with some minor extras thrown in
But that is exactly what it is. The underpinnings are Windows 7 with a tablet GUI. There is really very little new function that rock my boat. Even $1 is too much for that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
But that is exactly what it is. The underpinnings are Windows 7 with a tablet GUI. There is really very little new function that rock my boat. Even $1 is too much for that.

But that is exactly what it is NOT.

What you call a "Tablet GUI" is not just a GUI. It's actually an entirely new Operating System, called WinRT (for Windows RunTime). It's *NOT* Win32. It's quite different.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX

What you call a "Tablet GUI" is not just a GUI. It's actually an entirely new Operating System, called WinRT (for Windows RunTime). It's *NOT* Win32. It's quite different.
Yeah, if you talk about the RT, that's a different story. I was talking about the x86 version.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

Yeah, if you talk about the RT, that's a different story. I was talking about the x86 version.

NO. WinRT is not Windows RT. Althought Windows RT uses WinRT. I know it's confusing. WinRT is a new Operating System, with a new API. Windows RT is the ARM version of Windows, which includes an ARM version of Win32 and WinRT.

WinRT is the OS agnostic virtual machine subsystem that runs on all platforms (x86, x64, ARM, etc..). Windows Store apps are written to run on WinRT, regardless of platform.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650