Watermark won't go away on Windows 8.1 upgrade

I was a bit perplexed about their suggestion myself. I don't wannna spend all day resetting and reinstalling with no result. The HP tutorial said for a computer preinstalled with windows 8 to go into the setup utility and then go to secure boot configuration but my PC came with win 7 preinstalled I don't have that option. I haven't tried setting my bios to legacy yet. I'm not sure how to do this. My bios version is AMI 7.10, date 4/9/2012 if anyone has any further suggestions.

If have installed Windows 8 in UEFI mode, & reset the UEFI/BIOS firmware to Legacy, Windows 8 will NOT BOOT.

I agree with Theog who has the best track record in the business (in the area) IMHO. So, I would recommend that you go back to HP and ask them for a step by step upgrade process; however, be prepared for the worst because I have a Lenovo laptop, that I purchased in late 2010 (I think), and Lenovo has no intention of supporting an installation of Windows 8 and there will be no new BIOS issued accordingly. So, first confirm that HP is supporting Windows 8 upgrade to 8.1, and then ask the for the complete step by step upgrade path. Good luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
I was a bit perplexed about their suggestion myself. I don't wannna spend all day resetting and reinstalling with no result. The HP tutorial said for a computer preinstalled with windows 8 to go into the setup utility and then go to secure boot configuration but my PC came with win 7 preinstalled I don't have that option. I haven't tried setting my bios to legacy yet. I'm not sure how to do this. My bios version is AMI 7.10, date 4/9/2012 if anyone has any further suggestions.

If have installed Windows 8 in UEFI mode, & reset the UEFI/BIOS firmware to Legacy, Windows 8 will NOT BOOT.

I agree with Theog who has the best track record in the business (in the area) IMHO. So, I would recommend that you go back to HP and ask them for a step by step upgrade process; however, be prepared for the worst because I have a Lenovo laptop, that I purchased in late 2010 (I think), and Lenovo has no intention of supporting an installation of Windows 8 and there will be no new BIOS issued accordingly. So, first confirm that HP is supporting Windows 8 upgrade to 8.1, and then ask the for the complete step by step upgrade path. Good luck.

I will try that and see what happens. Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion P6-2120
    CPU
    AMD A6-3620 APU
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3 ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6530D
    Hard Drives
    ST10000DM 003-9&N162 SATA Disk Device @ 1TB and WD My Book Essential External Hard Drive @ 1TB
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Pro
One more thing, will I be able to get a step by step upgrade path if my PC is no longer in warranty?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion P6-2120
    CPU
    AMD A6-3620 APU
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3 ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6530D
    Hard Drives
    ST10000DM 003-9&N162 SATA Disk Device @ 1TB and WD My Book Essential External Hard Drive @ 1TB
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
UM i'm not going to mess with system files there will i hope be a fix from MS since when i called them they direct connected to my PC and snapped shot my desktop to record the error, the guy told me allot been calling on it i think MS may be getting a fix but i'm not sure.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Myself
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77A-G45
    Memory
    8 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    PNY GeForce GTX 660 Ti
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung Sync Master s27B550
    Screen Resolution
    1080p
    Hard Drives
    1 TB internal driver and one 1TB external drive.
    PSU
    Antec NeoECO 620 watt
    Case
    custom case
    Cooling
    Fans
    Keyboard
    steelseries apex
    Mouse
    stellseris sensel
    Internet Speed
    Unknowen
    Browser
    Google chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton 360 from comcast
I updated from windows 8 to windows 8.1 on my computer and I don't have a watermark? Have you tried changing your background? I think it was on my default background at the start.

If that doesn't work you probably need to activate your windows to do so follow these steps.

1) Right click on your start button (windows 8/8.1) and select "Command Prompt"

34945e5dc77c02fc5281.png

2) Type in the following: "slui 3" WITHOUT QUOTES!

sHj0gjo.png

3) A display bar should open asking your to activate windows, simply insert the key that you were given and press activate.

XcEgUpr.png

Give it a try, should work for you, this method is untested as I have not used it myself since I don't have the watermark for 8.1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD FX-8320
    Motherboard
    970A-DS3
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 7970
    Sound Card
    Built In
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung LED 23 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1080p
    Hard Drives
    1TB Western Digital
    PSU
    550w Cosair
    Case
    Aerocool X-Warrior
    Cooling
    2 case fans
    Keyboard
    Standard
    Mouse
    Standard
    Internet Speed
    30MB/S
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Avast
according to Control Panel\System and Security\System my windows is activated so this is not the case here, on a side note at least it's in the bottom corner but makes very hard to read y clock and stuff there. Why MS puts this stuff in there OP is beyond me trying to push something on someone is sick. OH i heard from PNY the maker of my card and guess what most if not All cards on the market are not UEFI compatible most if not all have a standard BIOS on them, so like he said MS can't expect all card makers to make one that is UEFI boot compatible just for there operating system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Myself
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77A-G45
    Memory
    8 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    PNY GeForce GTX 660 Ti
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung Sync Master s27B550
    Screen Resolution
    1080p
    Hard Drives
    1 TB internal driver and one 1TB external drive.
    PSU
    Antec NeoECO 620 watt
    Case
    custom case
    Cooling
    Fans
    Keyboard
    steelseries apex
    Mouse
    stellseris sensel
    Internet Speed
    Unknowen
    Browser
    Google chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton 360 from comcast
Yeah I tried to reenter my product key but it did not work. Thanks for the suggestion. I will be calling a Microsoft support rep tomorrow. I hope they're working on a fix for this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion P6-2120
    CPU
    AMD A6-3620 APU
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3 ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6530D
    Hard Drives
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Hi there
I don't know about you guys but my watermark disappeared immediately after activating windows and re-booting.

I had to enter a NEW product key as the automatic activation failed -- slui 3 cmd or simply enter product key at the Windows activation screen

Updating from Enterprise RTM to the 17/ Oct release - worked fine -- all my settings and programs were fine as well - took around 15 mins for the whole process.

I see you tried entering a product key -- did you REBOOT afterwards - that's when the watermark disappears.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion P6-2120
    CPU
    AMD A6-3620 APU
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3 ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6530D
    Hard Drives
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Hey I know it's been a couple weeks since anyone has replied to this thread. Microsoft has worked out a fix for this. Go to Update removes the "Windows 8.1 SecureBoot isn't configured correctly" watermark in Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 , there will be a download option for x86 and x64 versions of windows 8.1. click download now for your respectable version. Computer will reboot. After reboot watermark goes away.

Excellent...that EXACTLY solves the issue. I want Secure Boot OFF and Windows NOT to plaster my desktop with garbage telling me about it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, Windows 7, Ubuntu 12.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, and Slackware
Yeah it also helped me out too. Also give give thanks to jimbo45. I didn't know that he also posted this solution before I did.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion P6-2120
    CPU
    AMD A6-3620 APU
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3 ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6530D
    Hard Drives
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back