4gb DDR2
    Sound Card
    Bitstream to Home Theater
    Case
    Antec Fusion HTPC Case
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Chrome
@tabascojoe, I have noticed another oddity with Microsoft Accounts; I use a program called Rohos Logon Key that will not do remote desktop connections unless I specify the user as "MICROSOFTACCOUNT\USERNAME@Outlook.com". However, if I try to login locally I have to use just "USERNAME", if I try to use the full "MICROSOFTACCOUNT\USERNAME@Outlook.com" it does not work.

Seems like this whole MICROSOFTACCOUNT domain/workgroup might be the root of the issue here too.
Not sure if this is helpful but to connect a share from linux to Windows (where Windows share is called 'Share' and is everyone rw and the account is microsoft account) I found I had to use the name of the original local user I defined before switching to a microsoft account (which was called 'adam') and domain of 'WORKGROUP'. I couldn't get the microsoft account to work.

So connection in /etc/fstab is
Code:
//ADAM-X201/Share /mnt/ADAM-X201/Share cifs credentials=/root/secret.txt,iocharset=utf8,uid=1000,gid=1000,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

where the credentials are
Code:
  GNU nano 2.3.1            File: /root/secret.txt
username=adam
domain=WORKGROUP
password=xxxxxxxxx

Using RDP (both from Mac and Windows) I connect using xxxxxxx@outlook.com

I'm new to this and just trying all combinations until it works I'm afraid.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
Hello, eldonmcguinness and tabascojoe. Welcome to Windows EightForums.

Not going to pretend I know a lot about the subject, but this may have to do with encryption within the realm of MS accounts, so perhaps things have changed a bit? A controversial issue with 8.x, although I agree with the methodology. Anything to keep hackers out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I found this trick and tested. It worked, but I find it silly you have to manually create an entry for each server you want to connect to. Let me know if this is the answer you are seeking as well...

How to get read/write access to WHS v1 shares from Windows 8 using a Microsoft Account? - Super User

Hey Tabascojoe and thanks for the post. I ultimately had to do just this, but with one tweak, I had to create a local account for the users in question that is separate, not link to their MS Account, on the file server in addition to saving the credential as you mentioned. This does give the desired effect, but is completely asinine. The end result is the user uses a MS account on both pcs and the local account is just for authentication.

As I thought, it came down to the fact that the MS account is not linked to the group even though the local user is a part of it. Once you link the account, for all intents and purposes, you are not longer in the group when it comes to access to files.

Thanks MS for making this issue clear as mud...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Back