Solved USB sticks and possible effects on startup/shutdown times

Something seems to be scheduled to run at startup - maybe a virus scan (the little clock). Run a schtasks /query command in command prompt and check for unusual tasks scheduled at startup.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Something seems to be scheduled to run at startup - maybe a virus scan (the little clock). Run a schtasks /query command in command prompt and check for unusual tasks scheduled at startup.

Yes, very much this too.

I noticed funk in the stack text of the crash that very well might be indicative of what you're saying. (Maybe, maybe not. Could even be some malware present.)

I'm just shying away from this machine, because I gave it a huge amount of tlc already and results are back to (or worse than) square one. Also, I've offered a way to foolproof the system by suggesting a clone when the machine is in excellent state.

Clonezilla rocks.

Okay, but what does it mean and what can I do?

"Teach how to fish..." so Google can help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky integrated into ZoneAlarm+Antivirus
The only antivirus I have is Windows Defender at Masterchief's suggestion. Does Windows Defender put that icon on?

I'll check when I go home on other possibilities. The only other thing I can think of offhand is the Intel Management Engine which was among the drivers I was told to install. But then Smart Connect was among those drivers too, and Masterchief told me to get rid of it, which I did. Does anyone know if the Intel management engine is really necessary? There seems to be differing opinions on the web.

As for the state of my computer, it is for the most part reasonably better than it was when I started at the beginning of all this. With Masterchief's help, Windows Update no longer crashes the system which is a big plus. I haven't had to reinstall, refresh, or reset Windows in over a week which is a record for this year. The two remaining issues are these startup, restart, and shutdown problems and the temporary freezes on the system. Even so, once things start up, things act normally.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Windows To Go is only available on the Enterprise version. What I mean is you can only create a Windows To GO drive on Windows 8 Enterprise. Windows To GO will show up in control panel on Enterprise but not Pro. I've only ever seen that screen shot in post #4 on my laptop after creating a Windows to go drive. I think it does that so you can test it on the reboot. There is a BIOS boot option for it to on my laptop. No such window or option on my desktop that's running Pro. If you've never ever booted from a Windows To Go drive you likely won't find anything when you search for it on 8 Pro.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Windows To Go is only available on the Enterprise version. What I mean is you can only create a Windows To GO drive on Windows 8 Enterprise. Windows To GO will show up in control panel on Enterprise but not Pro. I've only ever seen that screen shot in post #4 on my laptop after creating a Windows to go drive. I think it does that so you can test it on the reboot. There is a BIOS boot option for it to on my laptop. No such window or option on my desktop that's running Pro. If you've never ever booted from a Windows To Go drive you likely won't find anything when you search for it on 8 Pro.
Are you sure? I did clean install of 8.1 Pro. I did try Enterprise in a VM but never had a license so I dropped it. The screen print is from standard clean install of 8.1 Pro.

EDIT - you can't make a Windows to go except with enterprise but you can boot from one. Perhaps I made the Windows to go after the clean install - I'm not sure. It was in a VM anway though so I'm surprised i changed my standard installation. If you can't see that option then you must be correct.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
Are you sure? I did clean install of 8.1 Pro. I did try Enterprise in a VM but never had a license so I dropped it. The screen print is from standard clean install of 8.1 Pro.

EDIT - you can't make a Windows to go except with enterprise but you can boot from one.

Yes, you can boot from Windows To Go on any PC that meets the hardware requirements. It doesn't even have to be running Windows, or any OS for that matter. On my desktop 8.1 Pro searching for "windows to go" turns up nothing except documents I have on that topic. I have never booted from my Windows To Go drive on that PC. If I did I might see the screen shot you posted in post #4. As or right now I don't have that option on my desktop that is running 8.1 Pro. I did see that prompt on my laptop after creating my to go drive though. What I was trying to say was if the OP had never messed with a Windows To Go drive they likely wouldn't see that boot option.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
I nade my own Windows to go. You might need an extra key though.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5349-windows-8-go-setup-usb-flash-drive-usb-disk.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Okey Dokey. I thought I had a clean install and that was part of it. I take it back.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
I nade my own Windows to go. You might need an extra key though.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5349-windows-8-go-setup-usb-flash-drive-usb-disk.html

I knew about that but didn't want to maybe confuse things by mentioning it. That's the roll your own version. The official Microsoft version can only be made from the Enterprise edition of Windows 8. I have access to Windows 8 Enterprise so I went that route. No worries of activation issues etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Yeah, you are fortunate. But for us plain folk, we have to go with more modest solutions, LOL.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Yeah, you are fortunate. But for us plain folk, we have to go with more modest solutions, LOL.

:thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Getting closer. Eliminated a number of software, from printer utilities to the USB driver to some software that came with my camera and my video camera. Restart seems to work normally now. I'm still having trouble with shutdowns and startup, so I eliminated a few more things (printer drivers, a remaining USB webcam camera startup thing that was still there even after uninstalling) and stopped the skype updater service. We'll see how things go this evening.

<edit>

After eliminating the other stuff, things shut down normally. Again, we'll see how things go when I come back. I still haven't had a normal hybrid bootup since I took out the USB sticks (by the way I took out all the greyed out stuff from the device manager), but maybe it will when I get back. I can't figure out why that would make any difference at all, but there it is. Maybe it had to do with the USB camera driver or something. Come to think of it, when I use my camera, I usually put it where one of the USB sticks are, although I later tried putting it in one of the USB slots in the back.

On a side note, I was able to find the screen shown in 4 on my Windows Pro installation. Never have touched Windows Enterprise, and when I got to the Window it was set for off. There is, however, no Windows to go option on my control panel.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Black clock?

Things are looking pretty good. Restarts are definitely fine. And things booted up pretty quickly. Here's my question, though. Is this black clock on the notifications flag Windows defender? Or is it something else? When I hover the mouse over it, it says scheduled scan. It's usually shortly after it appears that things slow down for a few minutes.

Black clock.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
I'll be checking how things go the next several days, but it seems like everything is now fine. My only concern is the USB driver for my webcam. I tried to find the latest one, but it doesn't seem any different from the last one I used. If it causes problems, I may just have to get a new webcam.

There were two Canon pieces of software that were definitely causing problems, and so I got rid of those.

At any rate, thanks everyone for your help. Masterchief, I know you got more than a little annoyed at the whole process. Believe me, so was I. All I can say in my defense is I still can't figure out why all this software that caused no problems with Windows 8 for one year before my computer went down with the BSODs suddenly started causing problems when I reinstalled Windows. Same hardware. Nothing changed. It's probably a mystery I'll never figure out.

But I just wanted to say thanks for all your advice and help. Couldn't have done it without you. My2Cents, ditto on your advice at looking at the Event Logs. That was also invaluable.

Hopefully, you won't have to hear from me again, except on other topics. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
lol it's all good man.

Can I be perfectly honest? Yes, just a little bit annoyed...well...that's not even really the right word for it....more like bemused.

That's because after doing all the stuff necessary to get the machine stable, you specifically asked about the utilities. I was like, "ehhh nah, not really a good idea" or something like that, and next thing I know, system is crashing and utilities are on it.

lol sometimes ya just gotta laugh. But in all honesty, the truth of the matter is that I am glad that it seems to working out now...

but just one more thing before I conclude in this thread:

Clonezilla makes good backups!!!

:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
I believe you said, "You can try your luck."

I guess I'm just not very lucky...or good at taking hints. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back