Uncontestable proof that "Metro" is touch only

Thank you, pparks1. That was awefully nice of you.

The article is based on opinion rather than fact for the most part. He points out a few examples of what he thinks are flaws, such as the learning curve of where to find items such as the Control Panel and history. Things change.

It seems to me that no business will touch any new OS for some time, so no big news there. In fact it's a no-brainer.

This is typical Me generation thinking. "There's been a change and I don't like it. How can we ever cope?" Not to say that all in that generation think that way, but it seems to me he does. I'm even wondering if he has a precription for an antidepressant.

I don't have the time to expound, so I'll end with a quote from a commenter from the article page of whom I agree with.

Contrived

Whilst, I've no problem with your conclusion, I don't think the reasoning is illustrated well.

You're talking about touch on the desktop and m/k use in metro - the opposite of what's intended.

control panel is easy enough - power users will find out Win+X or right-click on start tip. The rest can do a search for it - typing no more than the letter 'C'.

"Stretching compatibility" - all applications developed for Win7 run fine in Win8 - that's NOT compatible?

Tablets need a clear business justification to not choose iPad? What does the iPad have that these won't? Even Windows RT will be more manageable than iPads (iPads don't have much beyond EAS policy enforcement). Businesses running a handful of apps don't care about 600,000 apps in an app store. They care that they can begin using their applications right now on an x86 tablet whilst metro-style equivalents are developed, that these same apps can be run from employees tablets and desktops (employee needs to only familiarise with one application that runs on any hardware).

Touch hardware will help too.

Minimal flipping back and forth between metro and desktop is needed.

I've made counter-comments but to be honest I don't want to, I'm not bothered by someone saying they don't like windows 8 but too much of this article is just "blaah, it's yucky I don't like it", rather than points fleshed out properly with examples. Only paragraphs 6 and 7 seem to have anything which could be remotely called an example.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Thanks for the link pparks.

I read the article. Though I agree with Mr. Honeyball on some points, I'm afraid I can't agree at all here:

Any existing user will be tearing their hair out at this nonsense: the flipping backwards and forwards between Metro and the desktop, the lack of a Start button, the way all that history has been hidden away. Ask a user to find Control Panel and see the laptop being thrown into a nearby bin.
I'm an existing user and I'm not at all tearing my hair out :thumbdown:
Ask a user to find Control Panel and see the laptop being thrown into a nearby bin.
:what: Is he kidding?? I'm afraid, he must have lost his mind while writing that line!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
Contrived

Whilst, I've no problem with your conclusion, I don't think the reasoning is illustrated well.

You're talking about touch on the desktop and m/k use in metro - the opposite of what's intended.

control panel is easy enough - power users will find out Win+X or right-click on start tip. The rest can do a search for it - typing no more than the letter 'C'.

"Stretching compatibility" - all applications developed for Win7 run fine in Win8 - that's NOT compatible?

Tablets need a clear business justification to not choose iPad? What does the iPad have that these won't? Even Windows RT will be more manageable than iPads (iPads don't have much beyond EAS policy enforcement). Businesses running a handful of apps don't care about 600,000 apps in an app store. They care that they can begin using their applications right now on an x86 tablet whilst metro-style equivalents are developed, that these same apps can be run from employees tablets and desktops (employee needs to only familiarise with one application that runs on any hardware).

Touch hardware will help too.

Minimal flipping back and forth between metro and desktop is needed.

I've made counter-comments but to be honest I don't want to, I'm not bothered by someone saying they don't like windows 8 but too much of this article is just "blaah, it's yucky I don't like it", rather than points fleshed out properly with examples. Only paragraphs 6 and 7 seem to have anything which could be remotely called an example.
Thanks for quoting this brilliant comment, Tony. I agree with this comment hundred and ten percent. :thumbup:

I don't know if Mr. Honeyball wrote that control panel thing seriously. If he did ....... well, then he didn't use Windows 8 for more than an hour and he should have thought twice before writing that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
Thanks for the link pparks.

I read the article. Though I agree with Mr. Honeyball on some points, I'm afraid I can't agree at all here:

Any existing user will be tearing their hair out at this nonsense: the flipping backwards and forwards between Metro and the desktop, the lack of a Start button, the way all that history has been hidden away. Ask a user to find Control Panel and see the laptop being thrown into a nearby bin.
I'm an existing user and I'm not at all tearing my hair out :thumbdown:
Ask a user to find Control Panel and see the laptop being thrown into a nearby bin.
:what: Is he kidding?? I'm afraid, he must have lost his mind while writing that line!!

Impossible! There are many ways in finding the control panel.
If you don't find control panel then maybe you should not use it, it's hidden so than normal users don't mess thing up so easily.

But as it seems some users really need voice control: you speak "control panel" and it should open...:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
The article is based on opinion rather than fact for the most part. He points out a few examples of what he thinks are flaws, such as the learning curve of where to find items such as the Control Panel and history. Things change
Technically, Windows 8 works fine behind the scenes. But there will obviously be widespread opinions on how the desktop/start screen works. I cannot prove that 1 is better than the other, but I do know that one suits me and the way that I work a ton better. So, while it might be just my own opinion, it's more of a worthwhile metric for me when evaluating which to use than some facts.

It seems to me that no business will touch any new OS for some time, so no big news there. In fact it's a no-brainer.
It used to be that businesses didn't venture near a new OS until a service pack. However, the businesses I have been in, did have people move to Vista (before a SP) and there was fairly fast adoption of Windows 7 right out of the gate. But I haven't heard much about businesses going to Windows 8. Aside from my playing around with it, the company really hasn't looked at it, and doesn't seem to care about it whatsoever.

This is typical Me generation thinking. "There's been a change and I don't like it. How can we ever cope?" Not to say that all in that generation think that way, but it seems to me he does. I'm even wondering if he has a precription for an antidepressant.
This is a rather substantial change. Many don't really like it. Others do. I think this is more than being fearful of change. This is a fundamental questioning of whether this change is for the better or not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
The easiest way for me is WinKey (brings up Start Screen) type c possibly o and maybe n -> enter. Or pointer lower left corner, right click mini Start Screen), guts menu. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
I'm no fan of TIFKAM myself but even an old fogie like me learns to adapt rather quickly.

The opinions on Windows 8 will vary far and wide: when XP was introduced some people hated it. Then when Vista came along some of those same people cried out "I hate Vista - don't take away my XP!" Surely some folks remember what a radical change Windows 95 was from Windows 3.x running under DOS but I haven't heard anyone wishing we still did things the Windows 3.x way.

I am staying with Windows 7 as my primary OS for a variety of reasons. I can't say that I "hate" Windows 8 but also cannot say that I "love" it. It's a different way of doing things, and I've gotten used to how it works, but I think it's a little too soon to jump in with both feet. That's why I love being able to run it as a VM: best of both worlds that way.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
OK ... it's time that a developer chime in. :p

app bar != context menu. There is a reason the context menu comes up near the mouse pointer.

No ... not correct. "Context" means that the contents of the menu are based (as closely as possible) on the subject matter that is "in focus" where the mouse caret is located when right-clicked. The menu does not have to come up near the mouse but in most implementations does so for convenience. (A design idea I agree with, BTW). If the pop-up app bar has targets that perform functions that are based on the context from where the click took place, it too is a "context menu". If it does not, then it is not, regardless of its screen position. Proximity to the mouse caret does not make it a context menu.

Headache anyone?

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
OK ... it's time that a developer chime in. :p
app bar != context menu. There is a reason the context menu comes up near the mouse pointer.
No ... not correct. "Context" means that the contents of the menu are based (as closely as possible) on the subject matter that is "in focus" where the mouse caret is located when right-clicked. The menu does not have to come up near the mouse but in most implementations does so for convenience. (A design idea I agree with, BTW). If the pop-up app bar has targets that perform functions that are based on the context from where the click took place, it too is a "context menu". If it does not, then it is not, regardless of its screen position. Proximity to the mouse caret does not make it a context menu. Headache anyone? -Max
Taken literally, context menu means a context sensitive menu. In modern usage, it is often considered to refer to the specific user control that pops up near the mouse on a right click.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)
    CPU
    i5 2500
    Motherboard
    msi p67a-g43
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3 1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Nvidia 9800 GTX+
The point about the "control panel" is pretty easily understood. People who aren't enthusiasts, probably don't come to this site, they haven't seen or used Windows 8 and they know nothing about the new metro/start screen layout.

When a person, with say 10+ years experience with Windows, sits down at the start screen they are faced with a bunch of tiles. I haven't found a single person YET, who natively knows to simply start typing to find an app (like the control panel). So, after a few seconds of scanning the tiles, they find Desktop. They click on it. It takes them to the "classic desktop". So, now they are over there, without a start button. Some people struggle trying to figure out how to get back to the tiles. Almost everybody I have seen use the OS without a tutorial gets stuck in the desktop. Sure, the Windows key on their keyboard "could" do it, but many don't use this key. And many don't drive the cursor to the extreme corners, the hot corners don't come up.

So, once you know a few tricks, getting to the control panel IS quite easy. But no doubt many might be confused at first and get frustrated with this new OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info

Nice read -- thanks for the links

I'm sure everybody knows that there has to be some difference between using a "Tablet" / smartphone compared with serious use on a "Real classic computer" where the traditional desktop is still absolutely needed.

Windows 9 will undoubtedly solve this problem -- as in a few years companies who are just beginning to upgrade from XP==> W7 will be looking for their next upgrade. We do need to have some sort of choice -- Desktop / Metro / "Dogs legs mix of the 2" .

However for CONSUMERS W8 can be OK -- needs some messing around with to get it to work sensibly. I know people like Coke Robot probably use full screen apps all the time so Metro is a no brainer in his case -- but a lot of us work totally different -- we DO need a WINDOWED desktop - with multi monitor support etc.

I can honestly say that at the present time I don't know of a SINGLE large company who is even THINKING of upgrading their computers to W8. (Another reason Ms needs to make a distinction between home "Hobbyists" and Enterprise work users).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Taken literally, context menu means a context sensitive menu. In modern usage, it is often considered to refer to the specific user control that pops up near the mouse on a right click.

Ahh ... so you have to have the last word in this thread, eh? OK ... you did start the thread. You just re-stated what I already said!

:roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
When a person, with say 10+ years experience with Windows, sits down at the start screen they are faced with a bunch of tiles. I haven't found a single person YET, who natively knows to simply start typing to find an app (like the control panel). So, after a few seconds of scanning the tiles, they find Desktop. They click on it. It takes them to the "classic desktop". So, now they are over there, without a start button. Some people struggle trying to figure out how to get back to the tiles. Almost everybody I have seen use the OS without a tutorial gets stuck in the desktop. Sure, the Windows key on their keyboard "could" do it, but many don't use this key. And many don't drive the cursor to the extreme corners, the hot corners don't come up.

So, once you know a few tricks, getting to the control panel IS quite easy. But no doubt many might be confused at first and get frustrated with this new OS.
You most certainly NEED TO KNOW a few tricks.

Its a bit of awkward feeling I get when somebody says "Why do you need to learn W8 to use it??".

My question is, if you haven't learned playing guitar, you can't expect somebody to just pick up the instrument and start playing it perfectly, can you??? Why go to guitar, lets take an example of any program in our pc. I don't know how to use Photoshop. Can you expect me to just install a Photoshop suite and start using it from the word go without any trouble?? I don't know programming in C++, can you expect me to just open an IDE and start coding??? This is childish!!!!

Can this be a point that if someone hasn't read any small tutorial or guide on Windows 8, he/she has to fumble a bit to go to control panel?? I mean this is once in a life, isn't it? Once you know how 8 functions you can find any app out, not just Control Panel.

Just because users will need to take 30 mins to get used to the new changes, Microsoft shouldn't be creative and they don't have the right to make changes in their OS like they have?? If they do make changes, for people like Jon Honeyball that becomes a car crash??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
My question is, if you haven't learned playing guitar, you can't expect somebody to just pick up the instrument and start playing it perfectly, can you???
But take a person who has played guitar for 10+ years. Now, rearrange all of the guitar strings and put them in a different order. So, when they try to play the guitar and struggle and complain...just assure them that they are "afraid of change". If there weren't complains or concerns, I would be convinced that they weren't really a guitar player in the first place.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
But take a person who has played guitar for 10+ years. Now, rearrange all of the guitar strings and put them in a different order. So, when they try to play the guitar and struggle and complain...just assure them that they are "afraid of change". If there weren't complains or concerns, I would be convinced that they weren't really a guitar player in the first place.

Control Panel isn't called Action Centre in Windows 8 and vice versa.

The strings haven't been rearranged. All the strings in the guitar are same as they were (Desktop). Only some extra strings are added (Metro or whatever they call it now) which you need to learn.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
The strings haven't been rearranged. All the strings in the guitar are same as they were (Desktop). Only some extra strings are added (Metro or whatever they call it now) which you need to learn.
But instead of the strings being made optional and put at one end of the other, they are placed in the center and people are being forced to use them. I'm just saying that I understand the concerns and the complaining, not necessarily that I agree or disagree with them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
First off, it's simply not fair to present any OS to anyone without some instruction. There is a minor tutorial on hot corners when one is installing 8. I'm sure MS will further this in final releases, like "What's New" or "Let's Get Started" as in past OSs.

F1 has been around since I don't know when. Do enterprise IT teams know that? How about anyone that works in enterprise? Anyone that knows Windows and has half a brain knows that opens the Help file. If it was the very first time one turned on a computer that had a Windows OS installed, that would be a different story. I hate to be so blunt, but I'm sick and tired of reading the excuse that 8 is evil because of the learning curve. It may take a little longer to leasrn 8, but not impossible. Enterprise may fear it's cost for training, but 8 is a change just like any OS. Everything in the universe changes. It's a scientifically proven constant in Spacetime.

As soon as I type the period at the end of this sentance everything will have changed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
First off, it's simply not fair to present any OS to anyone without some instruction.
Understood. But in the past, we have been able to rely on the fact that there is some type of Start menu system in the lower left corner. It's been that way since Windows 95. And some people really would like to keep it that way, but don't have a choice..so there are complaints. These complaints seem reasonable.

There is a minor tutorial on hot corners when one is installing 8. I'm sure MS will further this in final releases, like "What's New" or "Let's Get Started" as in past OSs.
Yes, that video change in the RTM was the best change I had seen in a while. But it could really be a lot longer.

F1 has been around since I don't know when. Do enterprise IT teams know that? How about anyone that works in enterprise? Anyone that knows Windows and has half a brain knows that opens the Help file. If it was the very first time one turned on a computer that had a Windows OS installed, that would be a different story. I hate to be so blunt, but I'm sick and tired of reading the excuse that 8 is evil because of the learning curve. It may take a little longer to leasrn 8, but not impossible. Enterprise may fear it's cost for training, but 8 is a change just like any OS. Everything in the universe changes. It's a scientifically proven constant in Spacetime.
Yes, we know that F1 exists.

So, new user installs OS, gets to desktop. Cannot figure out how to get back to Start screen. They hit the F1 key and get the help. What do they search on, because I've searched for "how to get back to start screen", "where is the start button", and I can't find anything helpful.

The cost to a business or enterprise for these types of changes will be significant. Documentation needs to be rewritten and updated for all of these visual changes, title changes and location changes. Many people who work with computers aren't enthusiasts or tech nerds. I believe you are oversimplifying greatly the costs of this training and the # of manhours this will actually take.

^However, I think the above is a moot point because most businesses are not going to go to Windows 8. They will stay on Vista or 7 and XP. This will alleviate them from having to build new desktop OS images, prevent them from having to test and support Windows updates on Windows 8, prevent additional expense from licensing of Windows 8, etc. 8 simply doesn't provide them with anything advantageous over 7 to get them to deal with an upgrade. If nothing else, it just presents more problems and confusion.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
I can agree that 8 may not provide businesses anything advantageous over 7 but that certainly doesn't mean 8 is bad or car crash. Its a good os. Businesses might not feel 8 worth upgrading. Thats fine. But does this make 8 bad?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
I can agree that 8 may not provide businesses anything advantageous over 7 but that certainly doesn't mean 8 is bad or car crash. Its a good os. Businesses might not feel 8 worth upgrading. Thats fine. But does this make 8 bad?

Bad in these cases is purely subjective. From a functional standpoint, it's a fine OS. Runs good, good on system resources, and faster than previous versions of Windows in many respects. But if people don't want to use it, perhaps because they hate the new UI, or not having a start button...or not wanting to flip back and forth from the desktop to the new Start Screen....they will say it's bad.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Back