Solved Unable to use built-in ASUS recovery partition

I've had this same problem, I called microsoft and asus support (and of course they were useless) so i've tried too many ways and finally i found a "solution".
I opted for a fresh windows install, you can generate a windows 8.1 install media for free with this tool from microsoft: Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

I made a usb install device and run the installer from within windows.

I managed to get the product key just in case, but fortunately it didn't ask for any product key while installing.
I also liked the fact that this fresh install doesn't include any bloatware contrarily to recoverys from OEMs.

Have fun recovering your PC, and use at your own risk !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1
Hi people!
I'm the next in this trouble.
like in the last page have an asus 550cc and win8 updated to 8.1.
Have 7 partitions, 6 volumes and my pc does not work anymore. Can't srart win and can't reset, it does not find the correct partition and can't use safe mode, only cmd.
Reagentc says it is all ok..... Reading this forum I could not see a way from prompt (the only tool i can use now) to start, do you have any idea?
Is a dvd or an usb pen the only way?
I don't have serial number of win. From cmd i can't read i tryed but it is not possible.

Hopefully you will give me a help. Without this pc i'm lost
thank's
Alsi

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8,1
Tried the various suggestions to no avail

Computer Management.jpg

Reagentc and Partition Info.jpg
Like many others here, when I try to Reset the system to factory settings on my Asus X75A, it errors with the message that the partition is missing. I guess it is the Windows 8.1 update that has done that. I have taken some screen shots of what is going on. I have tried the Backtracker program and the Windows Reset route but they both cannot see the relevant Recovery partition. I have tried the various suggestions here but have got nowhere. I'm sure it is just something that needs doing that I haven't done. The Reagentc /info result seems to say that all is in order, so I am now tearing my hair out for a solution, if someone could be so kind as to point me in the right direction. Thanking you in advance.
Ken

Whoa!! Just spotted post #462 that Marcus wrote:
"Has anyone tried the Asus Recovery Utility specifically designed for users who are unable to downgrade? Does it work? Here's the link ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download ASUS Recovery
Also, the Asus FAQ article about downgrading issues and Asus Recovery ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-"

I decided to try it, thinking I was going to end up with the same result. But no, the process went further and it is finally Resetting and at 14%!! Woo hoo!! Nice one, Marcus! I downloaded the first file for downgrading Win 8.1 to Win 8 and I did not receive a message about not finding the Recovery Partition. It's looking promising so far... watch this space!

Update... it is now installed, the Recovery Partition worked fine. Many thanks to all those who have contributed here, without whom I would not have achieved my goal. Best wishes to all!!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus X75A
    CPU
    Intel i3 2.4GHz
    Memory
    6GB
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Avast
yes exactly my situation, I can´t start win too
actually I´m having a copy of c: by dos and have prepared win dvd that you can see one or two pages before, after I´ll try to install win by this dvd but I´m not sure if it will accept the serial number oem since I don´t have any possibility to see from dos. If you can start writing this and preparing your DVD.
Have to say that since the partitions are there ready I think that there should be a way to let start again a recovery (the old for win 8 or the new for win 8,1) but here or in any other forum I couldn´t find any way

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8,1
I have to say tha I could use the win dvd regularly and reinstall win 8.1 seems to be working but still I have to give a look

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8,1
win is working even if actually win is not activated did someone try to activate?
However now I will read again the posts to see what it is possible to do from win, since now I can run win, so thank's for the solution and let me know if It is possible to activate regularly

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8,1
yes exactly my situation, I can´t start win too...

Hi Alsi1976, I think your situation is different to mine. Are you having a problem starting Windows or the Recovery process?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus X75A
    CPU
    Intel i3 2.4GHz
    Memory
    6GB
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Avast
I had some problems in the last weeks and afther restarting the system could not start. So using register recovery for one or two times could start. The last could not anymore.
I could already save all my data, then i tryed to reset the pc ( ASUS X550C) and it was impossible. the partition could not be found. Looking in internet could see that afther my upgrade from win 8 up to win 8.1 the partitions are changed and the recovery started from pos (F6) could not work anymore.
now I have installed a new Win 8.1 and still don't know if this version will be correctly registred and if I can recovery in the original status of the computer. However since I'm 600 km away from my other PC now I can work and can find easier to recover in the right way.

what is really the same is the HD situation, the number and the order of partitions. And even DISKPART doesn't recognize any problem, but can't reset

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8,1
I had some problems in the last weeks and afther restarting the system could not start. So using register recovery for one or two times could start. The last could not anymore.
I could already save all my data, then i tryed to reset the pc ( ASUS X550C) and it was impossible. the partition could not be found. Looking in internet could see that afther my upgrade from win 8 up to win 8.1 the partitions are changed and the recovery started from pos (F6) could not work anymore.
now I have installed a new Win 8.1 and still don't know if this version will be correctly registred and if I can recovery in the original status of the computer. However since I'm 600 km away from my other PC now I can work and can find easier to recover in the right way.

what is really the same is the HD situation, the number and the order of partitions. And even DISKPART doesn't recognize any problem, but can't reset

Post a screen print here like mine, using Disk Management so that we can see the drives and Diskpart so that we can see the partitions, assuming you can get into Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus X75A
    CPU
    Intel i3 2.4GHz
    Memory
    6GB
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Avast
Has anyone tried the Asus Recovery Utility specifically designed for users who are unable to downgrade? Does it work? Here's the link ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download ASUS Recovery

Also, the Asus FAQ article about downgrading issues and Asus Recovery ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-

Many thanks for your links above. After much hair loss, I finally got what I wanted and that was a fresh install of Windows 8, using the Recovery Partition. At least I have the relevant software/drivers installed and accompanying Asus apps that came with the system. I just have to install the hundreds of Windows updates now and update any necessary drivers! Best wishes,
Ken

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus X75A
    CPU
    Intel i3 2.4GHz
    Memory
    6GB
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Avast
need your RE64v7i files

d/l this:

slightly different versions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dd2jecmia3s0x00/RE64v7i.zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rzaxya9kuip47xk/RE86v7i.zip

extract like this:

View attachment 35428

you will have this:

View attachment 35424

put your 8.0 winre here:

View attachment 35425

Run as admin on cmd file:

View attachment 35426

It will ask if you want to d/l recuva to be included. Up to you.

It also asks if you want to make an iso. Up to you.

After it has finished ( about 2 mins) you will see a folder called iso.

Copy all the folders from inside that (not the iso folder itself - all the folders from inside it ) onto your fat32 formatted flash drive.

View attachment 35427

Then copy your install.wim, or install.swm files into the sources folder on the flash drive.

That's it.

Boot it up and you will get a menu. To install from .swm files, click the SWMINSTALL button on the menu. Browse to the Install.swm file. You will want to select the image called Push Button Reset or similar, it is probably image 2.

Hi SIW2, after reading much here, I can't get your RE64v7i.zip because deleted from dropbox, I need it to recover my ASUS Win 8 OS from recovery partition
hope you can help me :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64 SP1
Has anyone tried the Asus Recovery Utility specifically designed for users who are unable to downgrade? Does it work? Here's the link ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download ASUS Recovery

Also, the Asus FAQ article about downgrading issues and Asus Recovery ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-

Many thanks for your links above. After much hair loss, I finally got what I wanted and that was a fresh install of Windows 8, using the Recovery Partition. At least I have the relevant software/drivers installed and accompanying Asus apps that came with the system. I just have to install the hundreds of Windows updates now and update any necessary drivers! Best wishes,
Ken

Glad I could help. I was checking if upgrading to Windows 10 would cause similar issues to recovery partitions, and I found this official Asus workaround for Windows 8 users. Best wishes to you too. Peace and good

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
Can someone upload the install.wim file? I acquired an Asus s500ca laptop that had Ubuntu on it. I'm trying to get it back to factory settings. I installed a non oem copy of 8.1 but the touchscreen would not work. So I need the original software.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    Intel I5-2500K @3.3GHz
    Motherboard
    Asrock P67 Extreme4
    Memory
    16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X (4x4GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce 750 Ti SC 2GB
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    auria eq2367
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
    1TB WD Blue
    1TB Hitachi
    PSU
    SeaSonic X 650W 80 Plus Gold
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian 750D
    Cooling
    Corsair H60, Three 140mm case fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Keyboard K520
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless Mouse M310
    Internet Speed
    Wave Broadband ~ 100 dn 5 up
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
    Other Info
    Laptop specs: HP g7-1365dx /
    CPU: AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics /
    RAM: Crucial 8Gb (2x4Gb) /
    SSD: Crucial M4-CT128M4SSD2 ATA Device/ FW 000F /
    GFX: AMD Radeon HD 6520G /
Can someone upload the install.wim file? I acquired an Asus s500ca laptop that had Ubuntu on it. I'm trying to get it back to factory settings. I installed a non oem copy of 8.1 but the touchscreen would not work. So I need the original software.

We can't upload that. Your best bet is to try option one here,

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/18309-windows-8-windows-8-1-iso-download-create.html

I kinda figured that but it was worth a try. I ended up grabbing a fresh 8 copy. Thanks, One question though, has anyone gotten the touchscreen working on this model?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
I've spent the whole day going through this thread and trying various possible solutions. I too have bought an ASUS laptop with win8 preinstalled and later upgraded to win8.1.
I'd like to factory reset my laptop but have had so much trouble. I would greatly appreciate any pointers. I have attached several screenshots.
I have three 'recovery' partitions.
- 20GB [contains the recovery image folder with "install.wim" in it] {mounted as R using diskpart}
- 350MB [contains the "recovery\WindowsRE" path that reagentc is looking for. ] {mounted as T using diskpart}
- 900MB

From what I have read on this forum already, I think I have configured 'reagentc' correctly with the RE Location path on partition5 and image location path on partition 7 [see screenshot]

Thanks in advance.

diskpart.PNG

reagent.PNG

20150717_134500.jpg

computer.PNG

intall.PNG

RecovImage.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (64bit)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS S550C
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia 740M
    Hard Drives
    1TB + 24GB(SSD)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G580
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3230M
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Browser
    Microsoft Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, standard user account
    Other Info
    UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8 product key.
I think I have configured 'reagentc' correctly

your winre is set to the new windows 8.1 RE (5) when it should be (2)

Code:
reagentc /disable
Reagentc /Setreimage /Path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition2\Recovery\WindowsRE /Target C:\Windows
reagentc /enable

reboot and create recovery media via control panel > recovery > create recovery media - to test..
if copy "Recovery Partition" is available able to make recovery media - You can then Reset PC back to factory

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB