U.S. consumers hesitant to make switch to Windows 8

Most Windows users in the U.S. know about Windows 8 but few have immediate plans to upgrade to Microsoft's newest operating system.What's more, about one-third of Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP users who are ready to buy a new personal computer say they intend to switch to an Apple product.
Those are the findings of an unusually broad survey of Windows PC users conducted by antivirus company Avast and released exclusively to USA TODAY.
The survey results underscore lukewarm response to Windows 8, which introduces a radical new PC user interface involving use of a touch screen in addition to a keyboard and mouse.

Rest of story here:

Hi there
trying to follow this thread seems to me people have been smoking too much of that "funny smelling tobacco" sold in Amsterdam's famous coffee shops.

First the statistic from AVAST -- totally not needed in Windows any more so why on earth should they have any worthwhile comment about W8 --where did they get their statistics from.

Then people have short memories -- W7 WAS a success because people wanted to ditch VISTA so a lot did upgrade. Remember though even now a lot of machines STILL RUN XP. And before we forget XP was not treated at all warmly when it first arrived -- used to be called Windows eXPensive and remember the initial fuss when Ms introduced the whole activation stuff.

Sales of PC's are declining -- but they will continue as a mainstream product for a while yet. Laptops in particular will still be sold as tablets can't do everything a real computer user wants to do. Some of the new tablets are getting better in this regard -- the new surface PRO for example and the touch interface is fine.

For a traditional desktop W8's UI STINKS.
If Ms wanted to bring back the start menu with a proper menu screen they could do this really quickly and easily -- just pay the developer of Classic Shell a decent wodge of money and work from his code. It probably would take Ms about a week to fix W8 to have a proper desktop menu.

The whole idea of "Metro apps" on large external monitors is a bit of a poor joke as who uses a large monitor in Full screen mode unless watching a movie.

As others have suggested make the tiles like the old gadgets then they could be viewable live tiles rather than the half baked system you have now where you need to go into the start screen -- someone was DEFINITELY smoking that Amsterdam stuff when they designed the screen to work like it does now. What on Earth is the point of having live tiles updating in the background where you can't see them - you need to be able to pin these to the desktop.

The whole concept of "The Store" is also a flawed concept for something like Windows -- it might be fine for mobile phones -- but even here I might have several apps downloaded from google -- but PAID ONE's -- about ZERO and nearly everybody I know has never paid for a phone app -- so it puzzles me how this stuff really is expected to produce zillions of dollars profit. It works to a degree with Apple because they have ITunes and apple users have been used to this type of business model -- but this concept is totally ALIEN to the millions of Windows users out there who will probably just ignore the whole idea of getting stuff from "The store" and will continue to source products like they always have.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Scan Info Pop-up

First the statistic from AVAST -- totally not needed in Windows any more so why on earth should they have any worthwhile comment about W8 --where did they get their statistics from.

After Avast has scanned your PC an information pop-up appears.

Sometimes it has a second section with other links (e.g. download Google Chrome).
A couple of weeks ago the second section had a link to an online survey about W8.

Note:
I've only been using Avast since September.
There may have been survey links prior to the one I mentioned.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,

After Avast has scanned your PC an information pop-up appears.

Sometimes it has a second section with other links (e.g. download Google Chrome).
A couple of weeks ago the second section had a link to an online survey about W8.

Note:
I've only been using Avast since September.
There may have been survey links prior to the one I mentioned.
Been using Avast for a couple of years now, ever since Avira kept reporting false positives, and it's memory did not retain ticking those items as safe. Totally satisifed for what you pay. Even includes Sandbox and mega options include/exclude various functions. :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Back