Touch is NOT the "near" future of computing. Keyboard & mouse is.

@ Rickkins, you don't get out much do you, there are literally millions of people who don't use anything but touch, think iPads and iPhones and Android phones.
Windows 8 is going to fail just like Windows 7 did.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Yeah, I don't know if you have noticed, but EVERY SINGLE new smartphone has a touch screen. Some have a keyboard, that but that tends to be mid range android 2 devices. Even then, there aren't a lot of keyboarded phones anymore. Touch has become mainstream there. The ipad came out in 2009 and many criticized it as being one device too many in an already connected world. Now the ipad is just as popular as the iphone and just as ipods were all the rage a decade ago. Touch has gone mobile and touch has become mainstream. Windows 8 will then command the market of touch, just as it usually does with operating systems. It's not even out yet and PC manufacturer's are showing off their latest prototypes of slider tablets, RT tablets, convertibles, slates, ultrabooks, and touch AIO PCs and non-touch AIOs. I literally haven't seen this much excitement from PC manufacturer's about a new Windows release in ever. I don't think 7 had this much attention. Not only will there a whole plethora of touch PCs out in the market, it will signal an end of some manufacturer's using android 4 for their tablets.

There is a true threat to the reign of ipads as being called "PCs" for some despicable reason and there is a true threat to android's future on tablets and phone due to Windows Phone 8's release as well as Windows 8. Verizon Wireless has said that they may in fact support Windows Phone 8 as they do with android because higher end phones will be able to rock it. Not only that, they have an opportunity to market something they can't realistically do with an ipad and iphone: an affordable bundle. They can sell a Windows Phone 8 bundled with a Windows 8 tablet with their network with two devices that share a common UI. Things be a changin' and they're changing for the better.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Well said Coke, I think a lot of people must walk around with blindfolds not to see what we can see. These are exciting times, more exciting than anything in the last few years.
There will be all kinds of new devices and hybrid laptops and tablets, even phones are now becoming mini PC's, even more so when Windows 8 comes out.
I must admit to falling in love with Apps, they are so simple to use and can give heaps of information at the touch of a screen. Windows 8 is definitely heading in the right direction, no matter what the detractors are saying.
One of the better ideas coming out are touch screen laptops, sometimes it's just easier to touch your screen than fiddle around with a touchpad or mouse.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Yes.

they have an opportunity to market something they can't realistically do with an ipad and iphone: an affordable bundle. They can sell a Windows Phone 8 bundled with a Windows 8 tablet with their network with two devices that share a common UI

Together with the slew of new devices the oem's are delivering.

MS has been working with them on these - I don't know MS have been subsidising /incentivizing/cutting all sorts of deals.

MS may be spending billions on the marketing push - a last ditch desperate effort to get a vast presence in the marketplace - that alone will get some sales.

If the devices are attractive - and if they are marketed right- they will sell.

Mass market consumers don't buy an o/s, they buy a device.

Win8 just happens to be on them .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
@ Rickkins, you don't get out much do you, there are literally millions of people who don't use anything but touch, think iPads and iPhones and Android phones.
Windows 8 is going to fail just like Windows 7 did.

~yawn~
Windows will not supplant either apple or android, on these "millions of users who use touch"
And, also literally, there are hundreds of millions who use mouse and keyboards.

I'm not saying there's no place for touch... I have a touch screen phone, as well as a hp touchpad(with CyanogenMod, of course).

Try a little harder to understand what point(s) I'm trying to make.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
It is not that touchscreens don't have their place, they do... but they are limited. Fine for texting on the go, when folks are at home or at work, the two places where the vast majority spend the majority of their time, folks won't be reaching for touch devices, they will turn to their comfortable work stations, the family pc and/or laptops. And no amount of hyperbole will change that.

I am not totally wrong, not even a little wrong. Even the ones who use touch a lot now, when they are on the go, will tend to gravitate to the far more physically comfortable mouse and keyboard.

Nice points Rickkins....

I don't think anyone is discounting the place for touch screens on the go in situations where non-intensive data entry is required, like brief texting and similar, but correct you are that anytime most people need to do intensive entry of data they DO prefer the physical keyboard and mouse.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
It is not that touchscreens don't have their place, they do... but they are limited. Fine for texting on the go, when folks are at home or at work, the two places where the vast majority spend the majority of their time, folks won't be reaching for touch devices, they will turn to their comfortable work stations, the family pc and/or laptops. And no amount of hyperbole will change that.

I am not totally wrong, not even a little wrong. Even the ones who use touch a lot now, when they are on the go, will tend to gravitate to the far more physically comfortable mouse and keyboard.

Nice points Rickkins....

I don't think anyone is discounting the place for touch screens on the go in situations where non-intensive data entry is required, like brief texting and similar, but correct you are that anytime most people need to do intensive entry of data they DO prefer the physical keyboard and mouse.

The point is Legacy, you said "touch is not the near future", you're right, it is the now, and also I have never said the keyboard is going anywhere, it will just be used less and less.

My Computer

System One

• OS

Nice points Rickkins....

The point is Legacy, you said "touch is not the near future", you're right, it is the now, and also I have never said the keyboard is going anywhere, it will just be used less and less.

I was (as you well know) referring to it in the context of data intensive usage like in the enterprise fields. Not casual use. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
Sorry, but no, I am not totally wrong, not even a little wrong. Even the ones who use touch a lot now, when they are on the go, will tend to gravitate to the far more physically comfortable mouse and keyboard.

Touch on a laptop computer makes no more sense than it does on the desktop, which is zero except maybe for programs like DAWs that emulate physical devices with lots of dial and sliders and whatnot. For other programs, the only way to use touch is as a tablet. I think convertible computers will end up a niche product about as popular as convertible cars. Most people who buy one soon after Windows HE comes out will end up using it mostly one way or the other and regret paying extra. If the screen doesn't detach, it's a bulkier, heavier tablet, and if it does detach, well, you've got two things to keep up with. For either, you've got a tension between detaching and not, i.e. "I'd sure like to be using this as a tablet, but is it worth the trouble to flip it or detach it right now?" I think most people will grow tired of it and just say, "Ah screw it."

Again, no. Ms's push to get into the smartphone & tablet market will ultimately fail, as Apple & Android will continue to dominate, despite ms's best effort. In the meantime, they will have alienated their core, most of whom despise the metro nonsense. Mark my words, win9 will see ms retreat at least insofar as offering a choice, a real choice between metroturd and desktop.

I agree completely with this. People will see how bad Windows HE is on the desktop/laptop, and that will make them avoid Windows mobile devices even more than they do now. There will of course be a spike when all this comes out due to Microsoft spending a fortune to promote it, but it won't last. Word of mouth will be bad, and they won't penetrate much beyond the fanboy base. Metro and its apps are shockingly horrible.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
Again, no. Ms's push to get into the smartphone & tablet market will ultimately fail, as Apple & Android will continue to dominate, despite ms's best effort. In the meantime, they will have alienated their core, most of whom despise the metro nonsense. Mark my words, win9 will see ms retreat at least insofar as offering a choice, a real choice between metroturd and desktop.

I agree completely with this. People will see how bad Windows HE is on the desktop/laptop, and that will make them avoid Windows mobile devices even more than they do now. There will of course be a spike when all this comes out due to Microsoft spending a fortune to promote it, but it won't last. Word of mouth will be bad, and they won't penetrate much beyond the fanboy base. Metro and its apps are shockingly horrible.

Are you guys for real, I'll bet you said the same thing about the Automobile, McDonalds and PC's.:think::think::think::think:

:dinesh::dinesh::dinesh::dinesh::dinesh::dinesh:

My Computer

System One

• OS

Are you guys for real, I'll bet you said the same thing about the Automobile, McDonalds and PC's.

You're the fanboy base, of course.

My Computer

System One

• OS

I think the point crawfish is trying to make is that many loyal MS customers would have gladly bought up WindowsPhone, and WinTablets, but because MS is sticking it to us (loyalists) we'll end up defecting, which I have to say if MS refuses to change the situation with metro options in Windows 8, I too will look elsewhere (not crApple) of course, but not MS either.

My Computer

System One

• OS

I think the point crawfish is trying to make is that many loyal MS customers would have gladly bought up WindowsPhone, and WinTablets, but because MS is sticking it to us (loyalists) we'll end up defecting, which I have to say if MS refuses to change the situation with metro options in Windows 8, I too will look elsewhere (not crApple) of course, but not MS either.

What are you going with Meego :) :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
Silly as it sounds,
and it may be silly, Oh, Yes...
how many keyboards and mice are used in Star Trek?

Oh, Oh,...
Opinions vary...
We move forward...

I happen to like
and use all of the following and look forward to more!

FUN...Interesting...Useful!
Daily Motion
Auto Trader
Free Books
The LA Times
The Chicago Tribune
Weather
I Heart Radio
Tom's Hardware
Nature Space
Slap Dash Podcasts
Music Maker Jam
Slacker Radio
News Republic
Yellow Pages
Metro Internet Explorer
The Big Picture

I agree with Legacy, keyboards and mice are necessary for now.
Especially for Data Processors, Office people, Technicians, everyone using a PC desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.

That's not the point I'm trying to make at all. Probably most of the true "loyalists" have already bought Windows Phones. I'm talking about everyone who hasn't but might consider it. They already have iPhones and Android phones, and they will need some motivation to switch. Windows HE ain't gonna be it, and sadly that's the whole reason for its existence. It's going to be some number of wasted years for Microsoft and other companies who follow them down this pointless path. BTW, I agree with you on many things, but not the Apple bashing. I wrote a long post detailing my transition from Zune to iPod Touch and why Microsoft has become irrelevant to me for all multimedia except for CableCARD DVR in Media Center where it's the only game in town, and as someone who hadn't owned an Apple product for almost 20 years, I simply love the thing and even bought an Apple TV to use as an audio-only Airplay bridge to my bedroom stereo. This is all just great, great stuff, and it continues to get better.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Mass market consumers don't buy an o/s, they buy a device.

Win8 just happens to be on them .
And that's the point for the push.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Silly as it sounds,
and it may be silly, Oh, Yes...
how many keyboards and mice are used in Star Trek?

Oh, Oh,...
Opinions vary...
We move forward...

I happen to like
and use all of the following and look forward to more!

FUN...Interesting...Useful!
Daily Motion
Auto Trader
Free Books
The LA Times
The Chicago Tribune
Weather
I Heart Radio
Tom's Hardware
Nature Space
Slap Dash Podcasts
Music Maker Jam
Slacker Radio
News Republic
Yellow Pages
Metro Internet Explorer
The Big Picture

I agree with Legacy, keyboards and mice are necessary for now.
Especially for Data Processors, Office people, Technicians, everyone using a PC desktop.
And how many mice were used in Minority Report and how many Kinect sensors? :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

That's not the point I'm trying to make at all. Probably most of the true "loyalists" have already bought Windows Phones. I'm talking about everyone who hasn't but might consider it. They already have iPhones and Android phones, and they will need some motivation to switch. Windows HE ain't gonna be it, and sadly that's the whole reason for its existence. It's going to be some number of wasted years for Microsoft and other companies who follow them down this pointless path. BTW, I agree with you on many things, but not the Apple bashing. I wrote a long post detailing my transition from Zune to iPod Touch and why Microsoft has become irrelevant to me for all multimedia except for CableCARD DVR in Media Center where it's the only game in town, and as someone who hadn't owned an Apple product for almost 20 years, I simply love the thing and even bought an Apple TV to use as an audio-only Airplay bridge to my bedroom stereo. This is all just great, great stuff, and it continues to get better.

I think it's interesting how brand switches happen. I used to be for apple, I had an itouch, wanted to get an iphone, used and installed iTunes even if the needed didn't exist. I always used and installed safari and ignored the Microsoft alternatives. I used Windows as my OS since forever.

But until I discovered the Windows Phone and the concept of it and how so different it was, I was hooked. I started using the Zune software and that's when I ditched apple. Realizing I was part of their grand scheme of a capitalistic-communist regime of "can't live with it, can't live without" I forever despise them....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Have you seen from the taskbar of Windows 8,
right click and select toolbars,
TOUCH KEYBOARD,
and there it is!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
Zune was interesting and overall I found the zune HD pretty fun and new compared to the other players however their was definitely bads to the software on the player as well as on the computer. Also there really was no marketing for either the original players or the zune HD. Microsoft desperately needs help in this department. They finally had a pretty good design wise product but no one knew about it. I learned about the zune but I never was interested in it because there were no commercials I learned about the Zune HD because I went to a website. I don't like how they are rebranding it though. Xbox Music sounds stupid, zune has a much better ring to it. Also the logo doesn't really fit music on top of that the software/app looks horrid. Besides they should be marketing ALL their stuff under one place which is the store/marketplace. Making the store and then a separate center for music, xbox games and videos will just make things more confusing. Overall I would prefer they come up with another player and update the software and make it have the store and brand the software something else that all downloadables can fall under. But I guess that won't be happening. I don't want to use a windows phone for music plus there I like the bold text that the Zune HD uses the phone keeps using that same light weight EVERYWHERE. The zune hd was a nice touch device that was different (kind of) and felt like it was in the future. That was a good touch device. First they kill off the player now they make the brand sound goofy. Sigh.

My Computer

Back