This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cloud features are pretty cool in 8. I can go to another PC running 8 and setup a new user account and use my Microsoft account and my settings, email, calendars, social networks and such transfer over without setting it up in each individual app or having to change settings in the Desktop.

Those features could be useful for some people (i.e. people who use multiple W8-based devices).

However it also means that your info can be easily scrutinised and then sold to advertisers.
It could also be used by cyber-criminals to gather info about your system.

I bet it will take a LONG time until Windows Cloud. A vast majority of the US doesn't have FIoS internet service with a gigabit of speed. It would be a major PITA to have to stream an operating system through a DSL connection.

Sure.
It wouldn't be Microsoft's problem though, it would be yours.

I'm sure terms, like "Luddite" and "Cheapskate", would be bandied about on forums.

I don't think the user data would be sold off to advertisers, not yet at least. But in the long run, I don't think Microsoft would open that avenue up. Even with their Bing search engine, they focus on search, not advertising like google, or with Hotmail, the adverts are usually Microsoft products or something from their OEMs. They kind of pride themselves on not doing what google does with email.

And probably yeah, I would bet those terms would be slandered. It would be like vista all over again: just get new hardware. Instead, it would be: just get a new service provider that charges more than yours currently does. :sarc:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Now finally some people that see win 8 for what it is almost ten years ago I frequented the forums of iexbeta when one in my lvl would have 4 or five windows pcs an xp,longhorn,server 03,98 on a live cd with a persistance file and my favorite windows freestyle that one day I made the connection myself by pure coincedence as I was trying to create an open session rewritable cd of xp much how linux has always had a live cd but back to the here and now win 8 has a boatload of hidden gems no the famous file system didn't make the cut because it was adapted. To take on journal file system a hybred that is incomplete because of meta stream data that ruins the performance and the tecnique was used in linux to allow one high performance file system communicate with all others and windows failed at that. Now comes security issues that have plagued since the days of 95 and windows millenium with service packs and such so they take power shell a dos hybrid and include explorer commands in it so one can run the pc without utilities like vnc and actually use virtualization to its proper lvl now I've only been playing with this release for a few weeks but it is the "heir appearent" without a doubt lol look at distros like pclos that strive for "works out of the box" well that is been windows forever now comes the dawn of cloud and virtualization box no more people that box can be on the other side of the world now and take the metro desktop does anyone remember the green pc sold at walmart it was a linux setup that had all apps just like win 8 and logon was very similar with respect to it controlled you more than you controlled it that said win 8 is a gem in itself waiting for people to tear it apart and try to keep microsoft from turning into another monopoly with everything having to go thru them first

A big problem that could erupt with using Linux is configuring a lot of things. I've heard from many Linux users that they always use Terminal for a lot of things to get them to work correctly. But that could be different.

That sounds like android ICS or whatever that you're speaking of.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
A good analogy would be like Longhorn being a cool airplane that crashed and its parts got scattered across the years....

...with the significant pieces yet to be recovered.

Well of course WinFS never made it. But I'm talking about how a lot of features and design elements from Longhorn either made it as it is in vista or 7 or 8 or they made it as a morphed version; like WinFS. In Server 2012, it has the new ReFS and Microsoft has hinted that it will eventually come to the client OS of Windows 8.

WinFS has been Microsoft's Duke Nukem Forever since, well, forever.

Back in Longhorn, when you opened your Pictures Library (a feature that ended up in 7) and hovered over a picture, it would expand to be a bit larger. In Windows 8 within a metro file picker, you hover over a picture and it expands a bit larger and it also shows some details about it.

I always turn all that nonsense off because of the endless disk groveling and the fact that it frequently interfered with deleting files. I configure Windows Explorer to display details for all folders, and it's much faster and more reliable that way. No one really needs features like that because they're present in programs that are dedicated to dealing with pictures and are far better at it. The Music Library is especially stupid, because there was an endless library rebuilding bug affecting WMC/WMP, and those programs have no way to catalog files that aren't in a library. A few months after Windows 7 was released, Microsoft crapified the Zune software in the same way, and after hundreds of protests on the old Zune forum, they finally relented and published a registry hack to free people from using libraries. The next version of the Zune software added it to the UI. There's just lots of fail WRT libraries, and I could list more.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
MS has always been behind on getting many things fixed! Take for example how long XP longed for numerous fixes until MS extended support after releasing SP3. The final service pack holds over 1,000 OS and security fixes for the now 11yr. old version.

The next version Vista saw multiple set backs trying to implement new things there. On the other hand 7 was the "right out of the box" working OS for most who run it. MS paid far more attention to detail with 7 over any previous version to insure better results. Unfortunately with 8 they decided to deploy a radical gui change over following a successful trend of two consecutive champion versions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
Agreed. Windows 8 is a joke. It really is pathetically bad. I'd rather switch to OS X than use metro on a desktop.

And this is coming from a big Windows fan.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate
One does not simply switch to osx. It costs a lot of money, because you must buy new hardware to, plus you can just stay with 7 ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ljkhlj
Not true at all one can switch to osx very easily without software and even if you don't belive that then google bootcamp for windows

My Computer

System One

• OS
    android
No, you just can't switch to osx from windows, because 1) it's illegal to run osx on non-apple computers (but possible), 2) osx supports very little hardware, so it's like 99,666% that it will not support your new pc or laptop.
But the most important thing is that you don't understand what you talking about - bootcamp is for apple computers, not for all :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ljkhlj
warning   Warning
Let's keep this friendly and on topic.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
To be correct yes the term bootcamp applies to running windows software on mac hardware but I gues you never knew what a hackintosh is then either? Lol costly its free as a bird and illegal like um as long as you buy it no its not illegial at all

My Computer

System One

• OS
    android
warning   Warning

:ditto:
Good point, folks are getting a bit hot under the collar over this.

For me as an individual to change to Apple would cost more than a few $$$'s simply to stand still performance wise with the Win7 rig I've already got. No one is forcing anyone to change to Win8. If you've already got a perfectly good Win7 or Vista PC setup and working as you want it to then stay with it. I know more than one person who owns an Apple and things are not as rosy as they are made out. Visit some of the Apple forums and you'll see what I mean.

I wish MS hadn't called Win8, well Win8. Maybe MS Metro or Windows Metro. Clearly it is not for conventional laptop/desktop use unless you are prepared to compromise how you work. It is designed primarily IMO for phones and tablets. There are apparent speed improvements but I haven't experienced them but I guess it all depends on what hardware you are running. So unless there is a radical last minute change by MS I will not be 'upgrading' if that's what it's going to be called.

I hope though Win8 is a success in the market - phones and tablets as it's about time the fruit company had some real competition. MS would do well to concentrate on this alone and leave the laptop/desktop market to continue developing with Win7. Introduce some of the Win8 speed improvements (if possible) into Win7 via a service pack release. We can all then stay happy campers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
warning   Warning

You won't hear any objections from me on that! ;) As I said from the start there will be a ton of mixed opinions about 8!

As far as the Metro UI itself that's only one part of the next version to begin with. Most simply want some option or method of disabling that part of it and simply go with 3rd party tools like Start Menu 7 or Classic Shell as the workaround to get past the gui change(unpopular no doubt!).

I think the two of us each on our own have been looking at other things and finding out that something still isn't right! MS has spent too much time pushing the Metro and Metro Apps but is slipping up on the essentials! The term "buggy" seems to fit best.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
To be correct yes the term bootcamp applies to running windows software on mac hardware but I gues you never knew what a hackintosh is then either? Lol costly its free as a bird and illegal like um as long as you buy it no its not illegial at all

1) it's illegal to run osx on non-apple computers (but possible), 2) osx supports very little hardware, so it's like 99,666% that it will not support your new pc or laptop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ljkhlj
1) it's illegal to run osx on non-apple computers (but possible), 2) osx supports very little hardware, so it's like 99,666% that it will not support your new pc or laptop.

Utter rubbish, you show me the country that passed a law making it illegal to run OSX on a non-apple computer, it is however against apples licensing agreement which is where I think you are getting confused.

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    me
    CPU
    i9
Didn't Apple set the lawyers on the Mac cloners (and crush them)?

Apple vs Pystar
On December 15, 2009, the judge in the California action issued a permanent injunction barring Psystar from manufacturing, distributing, or assisting anyone with any sort of device or technology "that is primarily designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing a technological measure". The ruling applies to all current and future versions of Mac OS X and Judge Alsup made it clear that "Psystar will be selling Rebel EFI at its peril, and risks finding itself held in contempt if its new venture falls within the scope of the injunction." The ruling also requires Psystar to destroy all of its equipment and material that it used in the circumvention of Apple technologies by December 31.
Wikipedia
Psystar Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Valve's Newell: Windows 8 "catastrophe" driving Valve to embrace Linux

Valve's Newell: Windows 8 "catastrophe" driving Valve to embrace Linux

Valve head—and one-time Microsoft employee—Gabe Newell has branded Windows 8 "a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space" at videogame conference Casual Connect in Seattle. The Valve boss continued, saying that in the fallout from Windows 8, "we'll lose some of the top-tier PC/OEMs, who will exit the market. I think margins will be destroyed for a bunch of people." Newell criticised Windows 8 while talking about the future of the gaming industry, and you can read everything he said at VentureBeat.

He argued that one of the last remaining things keeping people away from Linux was the lack of games. Valve is working to bring Left 4 Dead 2 and other Steam titles to Linux in a move that Newell describes as "a hedging strategy." If his predictions about Windows 8 come true, he says "it will be good to have alternatives to hedge against that eventuality."

Full article at:
Valve’s Newell: Windows 8 “catastrophe” driving Valve to embrace Linux | Ars Technica

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX8320
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 7870
^ Even as a linux fan and everyday linux admin, I don't forsee windows 8 being the thing that pushes gamers over to Linux. I don't honestly see any reason why games aren't going to run well under Windows 8, they will just do so on the classic desktop...like most other apps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Sounds like he is taken a cheap shot at Win8 to promote his games on Linux!

I looked at Linux & tried it but "No Thanks" it is trying to be everything for everybody!

Tully

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Beta
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Assembled
    CPU
    Intel I5
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z&&-V LX
    Memory
    8 GB DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel on board
    Sound Card
    INTEL ON MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung TD390 HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
    2TB Storage
    External Seagate "Dashboard" File Backup Drive USB3
    WD "My Cloud" 4TB
    Samsung Super Write Master 24 DVD Writer
    PSU
    Cosair
    Case
    Corsair
    Cooling
    AIR
    Keyboard
    Advent USB Keyboard
    Mouse
    Advent USB
    Internet Speed
    200 MB dwn 30MB up
    Browser
    IE 11 Win 10
    Antivirus
    MS Essentials
    Other Info
    USB2 & USB3
He doesn't seem to be talking about whether games will run on Win8.

His concern is the implemetation, leading to the reduction of desktop pc's- and the nature of MS app. store.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Agreed! He seems to be addressing the potentials for the sales of new 8 machines thus effecting overall sales of existing plus new game titles. Most are likely to be appauled by the way 8 has been introduced as well as the not so user friendly changes made just to bring Metro and touchscreen as the absolute new gui for desktop as well as portables like Tablet PC, Windows Phone, etc.

Despite all that it would be something to see having something like Steam on another OS for a change rather then the other OS only able to carry the "Geek's OS" label. For the most part not so many will be rushing at the next version following the success 7 has seen to start with.

While the core elements would be bound to be seeing improvements the initial experience by most is an automatic turnoff as far as the pre-retail releases have been so far. The one thing is certain however that this will prove to be the version that you either love or hate with a passion due the way MS trashed the destkop operatiion side of things.

Hidden side bar to find not only the Settings and Apps but also Power options button for the shutdown options. Having fun looking for the Control Panel now seen as a right click menu right where the Start screen popup is throwing everyone off. The need to bring up the Start screen constantly going back and forth to that without any 3rd party app added on for Start>Programs, etc are the tasks making 8 a rough experience for many and a sloppy way of introducing a new gui!

That very much sums up what is being pointed at by Gabe Newell as well as the critism's seen with blog writer's.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back