This will be Microsofts biggest ever flop, far bigger than Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we all will learn how to live with Windows 8. It is not the end of the world and geeks always find ways to taylor it to their needs.

But I am thinking about the 800 folks of my computer club - practically all folks over 60 years old. 90% of them have no clue how the system works and hardly manage the 10 buttons that they have been taught in extensive classes. When they see Windows 8 for the first time they will think that someone put them on another planet.

I will make the test next Thursday when I run a class for the "advanced" crowd (last of 6x2 hour sessions on Windows 7 features). I plan to give them a presentation of Win 8 for about 45 minutes and ask for their initial opinion. I will do my best to be as positive and factual as possible. I am open minded towards Win 8 and think it is fun to play with it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
The winner is going to be ...

To be honest I would LOVE if Ubuntu or some other distro could replace Windows. Who knows, with the way mobile development is going and Ubuntu for Android, maybe it will some day.

The winner is going to be the software maker who produces the best:
  • Desktop OS (for stationary users).
  • Mobile OS (for mobile users).

I don't think that the two types are compatible.
I think that W8 will probably be good on a phone or tablet (not that I'm likely to buy either).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
To be honest I would LOVE if Ubuntu or some other distro could replace Windows. Who knows, with the way mobile development is going and Ubuntu for Android, maybe it will some day.

The winner is going to be the software maker who produces the best:
  • Desktop OS (for stationary users).
  • Mobile OS (for mobile users).
I don't think that the two types are compatible.
I think that W8 will probably be good on a phone or tablet (not that I'm likely to buy either).

Have you checked out Ubuntu for Android yet? I think that fits your description perfectly (Not just right now, but eventually). With ridiculously powerful phones coming out, quad core 1.5GHz with over a gig of ram, etc, Ubuntu for Android will run like a breeze. I think having access to all your mobile games and apps in a desktop environment like Ubuntu will help a LOT of people who would never even consider Linux make the switch.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP 8250
    CPU
    i5 2500k 5.0GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 G.SKILL Ripjaws
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 CFX HiS Radeon HD 6950 IceQX Turbo 2GB
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Storage: Hitachi Desktar 7k1000.d 1TB | Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Verbatim USB 3.0 1TB External
    PSU
    Corsair HX850W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF 912
    Cooling
    Corsair H50
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
    Mouse
    Mionix NAOS 3200
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbit down | 4 Mbit up
No I haven't

Have you checked out Ubuntu for Android yet?
For Desktop users I agree this is very Counter intuitive but surely every man and his dog as has least ONE and probably TWO phones so people must be used to this way of working ...

Sorry.
I have less than "ONE and probably TWO phones".
I don't need one and I'm certainly not paying (a minimum of) $30/month to have one.

No I haven't.

The thought of trying to use a phone to create a database, document or spreadsheet, fills me with indescribable feelings of horror. :eek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Originally Posted by Spaisekraft

I remember during the early previews with W7 everyone was saying it was terrible and windows had doomed itself and it wasn't any better than vista.

I don't know where you were at the time. I have lived thru the whole Win7 Beta and never heard such a statement. If I remember right, there was nothing but praise. Maybe there were a few guys that made derogative comments who only knew Win7 from hearsay - the same crowd like the one in the Mojave project.

+1 I never heard any bad things about Windows 7 while testing and I was in it from the very start. :confused:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Enterprise (x64), Windows 8 Enterprise (x64), Windows Server 2012
    Memory
    32GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    4 Dell 24'
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    RAID 6 (8 x 2TB)
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Dell Mouse
    Internet Speed
    100meg
Originally Posted by Spaisekraft

I remember during the early previews with W7 everyone was saying it was terrible and windows had doomed itself and it wasn't any better than vista.

I don't know where you were at the time. I have lived thru the whole Win7 Beta and never heard such a statement. If I remember right, there was nothing but praise. Maybe there were a few guys that made derogative comments who only knew Win7 from hearsay - the same crowd like the one in the Mojave project.

+1 I never heard any bad things about Windows 7 while testing and I was in it from the very start. :confused:

You can go google early reviews and find people complaining about W7 almost as bad as people complain about W8. It's there, it happened, and it happened frequently.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP 8250
    CPU
    i5 2500k 5.0GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 G.SKILL Ripjaws
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Storage: Hitachi Desktar 7k1000.d 1TB | Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Verbatim USB 3.0 1TB External
    PSU
    Corsair HX850W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF 912
    Cooling
    Corsair H50
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Mionix NAOS 3200
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbit down | 4 Mbit up
I must disagree. Microsoft has decided to intentionally risk their entire Windows brand for the sake of radical change. Windows 95 was the last radical change for Windows and further versions only evolved the Start menu and Taskbar UI. Windows 8 throws much of that out. They obviously realize that it's going to be a risk, and it's going to be difficult for users to relearn a few things and find out the newer ways to do things are actually easier than they realize.

But honestly, if you look through the past few months of threads here, you'll already see the debate of metro vs. no metro. Windows 8 is just like 95, people had to relearn things. I find Windows 8 to be refreshing and new, though I find the Consumer Preview to have some grievances, like having to use the touch way of using the Charms and not actually clicking on the new Start logo on the bottom left. There will be the initial resistance, but people change....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I must disagree. Microsoft has decided to intentionally risk their entire Windows brand for the sake of radical change. Windows 95 was the last radical change for Windows and further versions only evolved the Start menu and Taskbar UI. Windows 8 throws much of that out. They obviously realize that it's going to be a risk, and it's going to be difficult for users to relearn a few things and find out the newer ways to do things are actually easier than they realize.

But honestly, if you look through the past few months of threads here, you'll already see the debate of metro vs. no metro. Windows 8 is just like 95, people had to relearn things. I find Windows 8 to be refreshing and new, though I find the Consumer Preview to have some grievances, like having to use the touch way of using the Charms and not actually clicking on the new Start logo on the bottom left. There will be the initial resistance, but people change....

Agreed. Windows 8 is much diferent from what we now as OSes, and Microsoft knows that, and that's the point: they arent in the track of another Windows ME or Windows Vista.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    My Build - Vorttex Ultimate
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 @ 1822 MHz (OC)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon R9 280X 3GB @ 1180 / 6800 MHz
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    3 x 500 GB HDD (Data/Media)
    1 x 2000 GB e-HDD (Backup)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps (Down) 5 Mbps (Up)
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Internet Security 2015
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff

I don't think Microsoft is done tweaking the interface for desktop users yet. I'd be really surprised if they were.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP 8250
    CPU
    i5 2500k 5.0GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 G.SKILL Ripjaws
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX850W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF 912
    Cooling
    Corsair H50
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Mionix NAOS 3200
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbit down | 4 Mbit up
Defenders of the Metro would often use the argument that its like Windows 95 that was a radical risky change but right now, times have changed. It still won't change the fact that the Metro screen blocks everything on the Desktop once launched getting in the way as I view the things going on in there like my opened Desktop programs. However, having Desktop shortcuts or items pinned on the Taskbar will lessen this headache but still, I miss the old Start Menu because there are things I still like to do in it that I feel are easier and takes less space than doing in the Metro and I miss the old Start button, as I'm not a fan of the one on the Charms bar.

Windows 8 will be in a few months but I feel it won't be as successful as Windows 7 but not as bad as Vista. Anyways, what I would like MS to do with this is that they should still give the user the end choice of making Metro optional and still have the old Start button where it used to be without installing anything third-party like Vistart and how about adding formal close and minimize buttons on Metro apps so they will have some advantage over other tablet apps on other tablet OSs?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built
.To be honest I would LOVE if Ubuntu or some other distro could replace Windows. Who knows, with the way mobile development is going and Ubuntu for Android, maybe it will some day.

Until peoples have to jungle with the terminal to install some applications it will not happen, if peoples have hard time to learn Windows 8, they will not get around the "sudo- "

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, Windows XP SP3 32-bit
    Own build computer
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 E6600
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q SE Plus
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GT240
    Sound Card
    Creative X-FI Sound Blaster Xtreme Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Samsung Synchmaster 2494HM
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 [1080p HDMI connection]
    Hard Drives
    Internal: OCZ Vertex 4 128Gb SSD, 2 x 400Gb SAMSUNG HD403LJ External: 1 x Iomega 2Tb, 1 x Iomega 1Tb,
    PSU
    Corsair AX750 [750w]
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian 550D
    Keyboard
    Wireless Desktop 3000 v2.0
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    120Mbps download/ 10Mbps upload Cable Connection via UPC Nederland
if you use it with 2or 3 monitors, it's very productive

first pic, I have all my programs at the tips of my mouse

5.jpg

second pic , the new mail is amazing, it's easy to read, no need to open an email. I can work and I can read my email at same time

2.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
This already looks worrying. Every single comment in the 'Comments Section' is negative. Redmond has a problem by the looks of things.
https://www.pcworld.com/businesscen...g_around_the_windows_8_beta_with_a_mouse.html

Metro breakdown! Windows 8 UI is little gain for lots of pain ? The Register

Like the top recommended comment on that site says, I just don't get why people are having so much trouble. I've always launched stuff by clicking their pinned taskbar icon or desktop icon, and hitting windows key + typing the program name and hitting enter for less frequently used programs. The Metro UI hasn't changed a thing for me. I am a big multi tasker and I don't feel hindered.

I don't think I'll ever understand why people dislike not being able to see the desktop while launching a new program, or why they're constantly launching programs from their start menu anyways.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP 8250
    CPU
    i5 2500k 5.0GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 G.SKILL Ripjaws
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX850W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF 912
    Cooling
    Corsair H50
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Mionix NAOS 3200
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbit down | 4 Mbit up
I don't think I'll ever understand why people dislike not being able to see the desktop while launching a new program, or why they're constantly launching programs from their start menu anyways.
I tell you what, its called personal preference. I am thinking the vice versa of this sentimant you just posted but I must admit to myself that everyone has his own taste and I won't insist that my taste or preference should be the same for all. We just like doing things "differently" but those who did not like the new change will have different reasons at some point too.

The loss of the Start button was a huge blow to those of us who loved it. Being on the side who dislike this new design, I am not totally against it but I and many others are hoping that M$ is seing this and listening so that they could make something more favorable to most of us.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Custom Built
I tell you what, its called personal preference. I am thinking the vice versa of this sentimant you just posted but I must admit to myself that everyone has his own taste and I won't insist that my taste or preference should be the same for all. We just like doing things "differently" but those who did not like the new change will have different reasons at some point too.

The loss of the Start button was a huge blow to those of us who loved it. Being on the side who dislike this new design, I am not totally against it but I and many others are hoping that M$ is seing this and listening so that they could make something more favorable to most of us.

Yeah I do understand that much lol. I hope that Microsoft includes a way for people to use only the old W7 UI start button and all, because beyond the UI W8 is a really good OS. Lower resource use than W7, better 64 bit support (so I've read), the whole thing is just snappier. So I really hope everyone will be able to experience it with their preferred UI.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP 8250
    CPU
    i5 2500k 5.0GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 G.SKILL Ripjaws
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX850W
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF 912
    Cooling
    Corsair H50
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Mionix NAOS 3200
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbit down | 4 Mbit up
In Metro, how do you see the path to a program. F.I. the new pinball game. In W7 you would rightclick on the icon, and under "properties" you could see the path. Rightclicking on a tile in Metro does nothing, so how do you do that?

I don't have a smart phone nor a tablet PC. I just have a stationary gaming PC, so I'm totally unknown to this sort of interface

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64bit Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3570K @4,4Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77A GD65
    Memory
    16Gbyte DDR3 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX770 lightning
    Sound Card
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ BL2411
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840EVO 240Gbyte, Samsung 830 256Gbyte SSD, Seagate 4TB , Western Digital black edition 1,5Tbyte
    PSU
    Zalman ZM850 HP
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 500R
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    60/60mbit fiber
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    BitDefender total security

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, Windows XP SP3 32-bit
    Own build computer
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 E6600
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q SE Plus
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GT240
    Sound Card
    Creative X-FI Sound Blaster Xtreme Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Samsung Synchmaster 2494HM
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 [1080p HDMI connection]
    Hard Drives
    Internal: OCZ Vertex 4 128Gb SSD, 2 x 400Gb SAMSUNG HD403LJ External: 1 x Iomega 2Tb, 1 x Iomega 1Tb,
    PSU
    Corsair AX750 [750w]
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian 550D
    Keyboard
    Wireless Desktop 3000 v2.0
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    120Mbps download/ 10Mbps upload Cable Connection via UPC Nederland
Yeah I do understand that much lol. I hope that Microsoft includes a way for people to use only the old W7 UI start button and all, because beyond the UI W8 is a really good OS. Lower resource use than W7, better 64 bit support (so I've read), the whole thing is just snappier. So I really hope everyone will be able to experience it with their preferred UI.
I hope they work on that System Reset and System Refresh thing that makes your system fresh again but they must make those possible without the need of inserting the installation media or whatever. I do hope, that they make things that automatically "tidies" up your computer from the inside so it stays in good shape without having you to reinstall it. The need for maintenance and reinstalls are Windows' weakness compared to Macs and Linux that need less maintenance.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Custom Built
Hi there
What an absolute lot of BOVINE SCATOLOGY is referred to in this thread at various points --usually from journalists who have an axe to grind or that STUPID Gartners organisation which has about as much credibility as a Major Banking institution these days saying they really feel for the small individual customer. !!!

After only 10 Mins I LOVE this edition already and am far more at home with it than almost any previous release of Windows

Of course you need to remove a load of the rubbish stuff from the standard metro apps - just right mouse click and choose remove from Start.

To get a SHORTCUT on to the desktop just choose from the apps OPEN File location -- this will then bring you to the desktop where you can with a right mouse click create a desktop short cut.

navigation is easy from any of the 4 corners of the screen (just think of "The 4 Horsemen of The Apocolypse")

If you want to get quickly back to the desktop from the metro page just hover your mouse to the LEFT HAND bottom of the screen.

To add missing apps to the start screen -- I want the control panel for example -- just search the app in Search, right mouse click and chose add to start.

Can't see what all the fuss is about -- and I am almost old enough to be some peoples Grandad.

I think this will be the best yet (Or as the Brits say "The Dogs Bol---s").

After just 2 hours of using it I'm regarding my W7 system as a piece of outdated Dinosaur technology already !!!!!.

To Burguyne : It's easy

Just Right mouse click on the metro app you want and then choose open file location -- from here you'll be taken to the desktop and folder with the program

You can then send this to your desktop as a short cut in the normal way etc. Enlarge the image to make it clearer.

Screenshot enc

cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• w83.png
    w83.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 187

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type