There is no Plan B

Microsoft has not made much of a dent in Apple's and Google's domination of mobile computing, but a top executive has hinted that it will not stop trying and does not have an alternative strategy.

"We're very focused on continuing the success we have with PCs and taking that to tablets and phones," Microsoft's chief financial officer Peter Klein said at the annual Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference in San Francisco.

Given Microsoft's lack of success so far, he was asked if there was an alternative strategy or 'Plan B' in reserve.

"It's less 'Plan B' than how you execute on the current plan," said Klein. "We aim to evolve this generation of Windows to make sure we have the right set of experiences at the right price points for all customers."

Microsoft Mobile | Windows Phone 8, Surface Tablet | No Plan B

Then listen to your customers, separate the desktop from the MPI and give people what they want!

Well ,Ray, it looks like you have brought the hornets out of the nest.

Difficult for many of us to comprehend why some are offended because not everyone loves a piece of software they seem besotted with.

It's as if you called their wife an ugly cow.

What is it about them that makes them like that ?

I don't know.

It does seem they don't know what win 8 is for.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Well ,Ray, it looks like you have brought the hornets out of the nest.

Difficult for many of us to comprehend why some are offended because not everyone loves a piece of software they seem besotted with.

It's as if you called their wife an ugly cow.

What is it about them that makes them like that ?

I don't know.

It does seem they don't know what win 8 is for.

Nice try, but belittling me with hyperbole doesn't weaken my argument. Offended? lol No, I'm being practical. Seems kind of pointless to turn a newer operating system into an older one. If you have the option to use the older one, which will be relevant for at least a few more years, why keep complaining and trying to turn it into the old one? Use the old one. Problem solved. If you don't like the new interface, go back to the old one. Or is constantly complaining about 8 more productive?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 920 2.66GHz (OC to 3.8GHz)
    Motherboard
    MSI Pro x58
    Memory
    6GB OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    Two GTX 460s in SLI
    Sound Card
    Xonar DX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 21.5" Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    PSU
    Corsair 750tx
    Case
    Xclio Windtunnel
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
Why do you imagine it is about the interface per se ?

The interface is a symptom of the disease.

It is unfortunate the UI weirdness has distracted attention.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Why do you imagine it about the interface per se ?

What other reason is there? Most of Metro is completely optional. What's left is the interface. Instead of doing everything in your power to avoid the interface, why not do the easy thing and go back to 7?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    MSI Pro x58
    Memory
    6GB OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    Two GTX 460s in SLI
    Sound Card
    Xonar DX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 21.5" Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    PSU
    Corsair 750tx
    Case
    Xclio Windtunnel
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
And do you have any documentation? Links? Etc about this Markmonitor being associated with Windows 8? ISPs might be utilizing it. That's a different story.

Yes, the Cloud is becoming a bigger thing now. It's still entirely optional.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    MSI Pro x58
    Memory
    6GB OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    Two GTX 460s in SLI
    Sound Card
    Xonar DX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 21.5" Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    PSU
    Corsair 750tx
    Case
    Xclio Windtunnel
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
Why do you imagine it about the interface per se ?

What other reason is there? Most of Metro is completely optional. What's left is the interface. Instead of doing everything in your power to avoid the interface, why not do the easy thing and go back to 7?

Oh, they think MS is leading the blind sheep astray to "soak" more money out of them. Never enough wool kind of thing.

MS the evil monopoly empire they think. Geez....Talk about hornets....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
And this is why the fight continues so many thick skulled can comprehend that Windows 8 can do whatever the user wants it to do.

No it doesn't. Without resorting to third party programs, I can't have the user interface that I enjoy with Windows 7.

In case you haven't realized, this isn't Windows 7. If you want Windows 7 that badly, go back to Windows 7. Honestly, if you're still complaining about the Start Screen, which is faster and more convenient to navigate than the 7 start menu, you obviously just dislike Metro. No one is going to chastise you for going back.

Another one that doesn't have a clue.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Seems kind of pointless to turn a newer operating system into an older one.

Who is actually wanting to turn a new operating system into an older one? All we are talking about is the look and feel of the interface - personalisation.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I didn't post that Ray, it might look like I had from a quick glance at your above quote. Please correct it. Wouldn't want anyone to think I would say anything like that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Cash or not:

Android and Apple have extended their near duopoly with a whopping 91 per cent of the global smartphone market in the fourth quarter, a survey shows.

Google's Android system was used on 70.1 per cent of smartphones shipped in the quarter, while Apple held 21 per cent, according to research firm IDC.

Android, Apple Extend Smartphone Market Share Dominance | iPhone

Good luck.

If Windows 8 and RT had been separated and RT was just for the mobile space, maybe they would have had a chance. Device manufacturers are shying away from RT and Apple/Android users don't see a need for it or Windows 8. And Windows 8 users don't want RT on their desktop (excepting those Windows 8 luvvies on this forum).

Have you noticed the polls on this Forum, you're the one in the minority, about 70% are warming up to Windows 8, while you keep on hating. You hate Windows 8, you hate Windows RT, you hate Surface RT and you hate Surface Pro, you're a hater not a lover.

Ya, and what's wrong with that? He doesn't like Windows 8. A lot of people don't like Windows 8. Why does this bother you?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Pssh. Who buys prebuilts?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Asus 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    OCZ SSD boot drive. Spinny secondary drive.
    Case
    Diablotek
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Toureny edition.
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50 down 10 up
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AV is for noobs.
    Other Info
    I like Macs.
Just one example:

Windows 8 Tells Microsoft About Everything You Install, Not Very Securely | Nadim Kobeissi

You really didn't know ?

For those who find little squares easier:

windows-evolves.jpeg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I didn't post that Ray, it might look like I had from a quick glance at your above quote. Please correct it. Wouldn't want anyone to think I would say anything like that.

Sorry about that. The quote system on this forum is awkward, as everything in a thread is quoted, rather than just the poster's statement, and if not careful, you tend to stuff things up at times.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Oh well, if that's the case, I'll probably have another break from the site for a while, because it becomes a bit boring, well a lot boring really. That's why I took a few months off not long ago it's a bit depressing hearing the same stuff over and over.

Just once, well more than once, I'd like to come on here and listen to some positive stuff.....
Perhaps you should consider, given your words above, whether you are part of the problem you are complaining about! :huh:

I'm personally actually seeing a lot of positive stuff about how Win 8 could be remediated by MS to be actually useful to ordinary users, and lot of negativity from fanbois who just wont tolerate anyone suggesting its not perfect as it is. :rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
I'd just like to point out another issue that I discovered with the MPI. I have managed now to get the MPI to open up in the right hand screen of my dual monitor setup and have the left hand monitor clear for desktop programs. However, every time I open a desktop program, the MPI disappears.

I can attach a second monitor to my tablet, but again I hit the same snag, the MPI disappears the moment you want to do something on the other screen. It's clear that the design has completely ignored the desktop user and it's been created solely for single screen use. Everything is designed around a mobile phone screen. That's plain dumb.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Who is actually wanting to turn a new operating system into an older one? All we are talking about is the look and feel of the interface - personalisation.

So if personalization is the issue why are you against 3rd party tools? You realize that millions of users heavily theme Windows 7 and do so using 3rd party tools, it's not available OOTB. So why is it accepted to personalize W7 with 3rd party tools and not W8?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP

So if personalization is the issue why are you against 3rd party tools? You realize that millions of users heavily theme Windows 7 and do so using 3rd party tools, it's not available OOTB. So why is it accepted to personalize W7 with 3rd party tools and not W8?

I'm not against third party tools, but Microsoft removed the very basics that so many want. But then you know that already and all you are doing is trying to deflect the patently obvious. No gold stars or elephant stamps for you my boy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
And this is why the fight continues so many thick skulled can comprehend that Windows 8 can do whatever the user wants it to do.

No it doesn't. Without resorting to third party programs, I can't have the user interface that I enjoy with Windows 7.

Also, there is a definitive difference between criticism and constructive criticism. No one listen to criticism unless if it's constructive. So far, there hasn't been a single person against Windows 8 that has offered a good piece of constructive criticism.

"It needs a start menu!" Said every Windows 8 dissenter.
"It needs a facebook app!" Said every person that doesn't understand what the term "desktop browser" means.

Very noble of you to so bluntly disparage anyone who doesn't agree with your view of the world or who doesn't come up to your standards.
Then why continue complaining about a product you don't use, don't like, nor don't care for? If you don't like it, then just use Windows 7 and be done with it. Seems like a waste of your time to complain on a forum that isn't related to Microsoft directly or indirectly, it'd be better worth the while to complain directly to them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

I'm not against third party tools, but Microsoft removed the very basics that so many want. But then you know that already and all you are doing is trying to deflect the patently obvious. No gold stars or elephant stamps for you my boy.

This is how the Start Screen is like the menu, no one wanted to theme or skin the menu EVER. Becomes a screen, demand customizations. I don't see how the "basics" were removed. The basics are there and are just very basic. Third parties can change that, much like EVERY other facet of Window.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Back