The writing is in the Cloud.

It's the cloud or bust for Adobe and its customers.
Can you feel the ground shaking? That's just Adobe, which today made an earth-rattling announcement regarding its plans to go all-in with the cloud. Adobe Creative Cloud is the company's new flagship offering, a re-imagining of the Creative Suite, if you will, which will no longer see new releases (so no Creative Suite 7, which many anticipated would be announced today) but will continue to be supported.

Adobe Says Goodbye to Creative Suite, Hello to Creative Cloud | Maximum PC

Et tu, Microsoft?

Hi there
CS6 will work for YEARS -- also if you don't use all the CS6 features CS2 is available FREE on the adobe site as "Abandonware" - but grab it while you can. I only upgraded to CS6 because I use the extended version with 3-D support.

If you use CS2 --99% of CS2 is more than enough for non Pros (and even for a lot of pros too) then you can convert RAW files for unsupported newer cameras by simply using the CAMERAS own software to convert the RAW file to TIFF etc --then carry on working in photoshop.

It will be a long time --if ever before I pay Adobe a subscription to use Photoshop.

Link for CS2 software - includes PUBLISHED serial numbers --100% legit on Adobes OWN SITE

Adobe - CS2 Downloads

Cheers
jimbo

Getting off track for a minute, but...

One of the things that make people upgrade their Adobe products is the new versions of ACR (Adobe Camera Raw). If you have a new DSLR (Digital SLR) and shoot RAW, the older versions of Adobe & Lightroom may not support the camera's new RAW files - For Nikon those are .NEF, for Canon they are CR2.

Example, I have a Nikon D800E, and though CS5's ACR can read the NEF files from the camera, it is version 6.7, contrast that to CS6's ACR which latest version is 7.4 - upgraded features, better interface.

CS5 - Adobe issues ACR 6.7 - final version of Camera Raw for CS5: Digital Photography Review

Lightroom & CS6 - Adobe releases Lightroom 4.4 and Adobe Camera Raw 7.4: Digital Photography Review

So, you buy a new DSLR today, but your old version of Adobe is CS2, or Lightroom 2... guess what? They aren't going to support the Camera's new RAW format. So, you either have to upgrade, use the default (often inferior) software, or find something else.

This of course is for those of us who shoot RAW exclusively, which is the best way to shoot (DLSR) as the file can be manipulated much more easily without losing or destroying data. It is considered the "master" negative.

Anyway I thought I'd drop that bit of tid-bit in.

Hi there
If you read the post completely -- you can ALWAYS convert RAW to TIFF (LOSSLESS CONVERSION) via the cameras own software and then simply use photo shop just as before. You don't always have to wait for a ne w RAW plugin to be available before using Photoshop with RAW files --the trick is to LOSSLESSY convert the files to a format photo shop can handle.

Actually there aren't that many PRO DSLR's that CS2 won't handle the RAW format for (with the latest available plugin for that version of photoshop) - still available.

I'm talking here of Professional Full FRAME DSLR's like Canon 5D, 1D MKII, 1D MK III etc.

Most Pro photographers don't change reliable Gear that often anyway -

In any case try this

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 7.4

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
It is the menu that users want.

Not just a button.

MS look as if they are playing selective hearing.

We won't know for sure till we see it of course
What part of saying over and over again and Microsoft saying over and over again, THE START MENU IS NOT COMING BACK.

Deal with it.

M$ is the one that has to DEAL WITH IT the low sales the constant bitching and above ALL the bad press.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    System Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Hi there
CS6 will work for YEARS -- also if you don't use all the CS6 features CS2 is available FREE on the adobe site as "Abandonware" - but grab it while you can. I only upgraded to CS6 because I use the extended version with 3-D support.

If you use CS2 --99% of CS2 is more than enough for non Pros (and even for a lot of pros too) then you can convert RAW files for unsupported newer cameras by simply using the CAMERAS own software to convert the RAW file to TIFF etc --then carry on working in photoshop.

It will be a long time --if ever before I pay Adobe a subscription to use Photoshop.

Link for CS2 software - includes PUBLISHED serial numbers --100% legit on Adobes OWN SITE

Adobe - CS2 Downloads

Cheers
jimbo

Getting off track for a minute, but...

One of the things that make people upgrade their Adobe products is the new versions of ACR (Adobe Camera Raw). If you have a new DSLR (Digital SLR) and shoot RAW, the older versions of Adobe & Lightroom may not support the camera's new RAW files - For Nikon those are .NEF, for Canon they are CR2.

Example, I have a Nikon D800E, and though CS5's ACR can read the NEF files from the camera, it is version 6.7, contrast that to CS6's ACR which latest version is 7.4 - upgraded features, better interface.

CS5 - Adobe issues ACR 6.7 - final version of Camera Raw for CS5: Digital Photography Review

Lightroom & CS6 - Adobe releases Lightroom 4.4 and Adobe Camera Raw 7.4: Digital Photography Review

So, you buy a new DSLR today, but your old version of Adobe is CS2, or Lightroom 2... guess what? They aren't going to support the Camera's new RAW format. So, you either have to upgrade, use the default (often inferior) software, or find something else.

This of course is for those of us who shoot RAW exclusively, which is the best way to shoot (DLSR) as the file can be manipulated much more easily without losing or destroying data. It is considered the "master" negative.

Anyway I thought I'd drop that bit of tid-bit in.

Hi there
If you read the post completely -- you can ALWAYS convert RAW to TIFF (LOSSLESS CONVERSION) via the cameras own software and then simply use photo shop just as before. You don't always have to wait for a ne w RAW plugin to be available before using Photoshop with RAW files --the trick is to LOSSLESSY convert the files to a format photo shop can handle.

Actually there aren't that many PRO DSLR's that CS2 won't handle the RAW format for (with the latest available plugin for that version of photoshop) - still available.[/URL]

Cheers
jimbo

Hi there,

I did read the post completely! I added MY comments for a different perspective. You might re-read my post.

I'm talking here of Professional Full FRAME DSLR's like Canon 5D, 1D MKII, 1D MK III etc.

Most Pro photographers don't change reliable Gear that often anyway

Cheers
jimbo

And, FYI - The Nikon D800E is a FULL FRAME PRO camera body ;)

- Nikon D800 D-SLR Camera | High Dynamic Range Camera
- Nikon D800 and D800E 36MP full-frame DSLRs announced: Digital Photography Review

And, yes, a lot of Pro photographers DO upgrade to newer camera bodies.

At any rate, this isn't the forum for that debate so moving right along.

Peace :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v
Just to throw a little something into the mix; HDR Toning, and Healing Tool in PS CS6. . .enjoy the day. . .:thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
Originally Posted by SIW2 It is the menu that users want.

Not just a button.

MS look as if they are playing selective hearing.

We won't know for sure till we see it of course

MS could make 8 much more palatable without sacrificing their push to online services.

Not the way you might think.

They are welcome to contact me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
[h=1]The meter's on all the time: Tech's 'greed is good' era arrives[/h]
Adobe Systems is forcing its Creative Suite users to pay a monthly subscription of $50 to $70 for what it is calling Creative Cloud; you'll pay $80 per month if you don't sign a one-year commitment. There'll soon no longer be a version you can buy once and use forever, as the version 6 Creative Suite will be available only for an unspecified time. Along the same lines, Microsoft says it won't guarantee that Office will always be available in the traditional one-time-purchase license, and it's clear that Office 2013 is the transition step to a subscription-only model like Adobe's. Expect every major software publisher to do the same in the next few years.

The meter's on all the time: Tech's 'greed is good' era arrives | Consumerization Of It - InfoWorld

The meter is running it has already happened with phones next it will happen with cable and the list will go on and on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
The meter's on all the time: Tech's 'greed is good' era arrives

Adobe Systems is forcing its Creative Suite users to pay a monthly subscription of $50 to $70 for what it is calling Creative Cloud; you'll pay $80 per month if you don't sign a one-year commitment. There'll soon no longer be a version you can buy once and use forever, as the version 6 Creative Suite will be available only for an unspecified time. Along the same lines, Microsoft says it won't guarantee that Office will always be available in the traditional one-time-purchase license, and it's clear that Office 2013 is the transition step to a subscription-only model like Adobe's. Expect every major software publisher to do the same in the next few years.

The meter's on all the time: Tech's 'greed is good' era arrives | Consumerization Of It - InfoWorld

The meter is running it has already happened with phones next it will happen with cable and the list will go on and on.

Hi there
Don't panic -- latest versions of Office and Cs6 will still continue to work for DONKEYS YEARS yet --I'll probably be long since gone into the proverbial box 2 metres long (would be a tight fit for me though) and buried 2 metres under the ground before this stuff stops working.

And if it does SOMEBODY will design equivalent applications that we can turn to -- after all remember Lotus 1-2-3 and Ami Word -- which were almost the de-facto standards in spread sheet and word processing applications - both these soon got absolutely CANED by a new upstart called "Microsoft".

Human ingenuity will soon develop suitable alternatives when the conditions are right. Libre Office for example isn't yet fit for prime time - and there isn't a huge pressure on any body to develop it a lot further yet since Office 2007/2010 and even 2013 can be had relatively cheaply. Remove these versions and the whole ball game changes radically.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
The meter's on all the time: Tech's 'greed is good' era arrives

Hi there
Don't panic -- latest versions of Office and Cs6 will still continue to work for DONKEYS YEARS yet --I'll probably be long since gone into the proverbial box 2 metres long (would be a tight fit for me though) and buried 2 metres under the ground before this stuff stops working.

And if it does SOMEBODY will design equivalent applications that we can turn to -- after all remember Lotus 1-2-3 and Ami Word -- which were almost the de-facto standards in spread sheet and word processing applications - both these soon got absolutely CANED by a new upstart called "Microsoft".

Human ingenuity will soon develop suitable alternatives when the conditions are right. Libre Office for example isn't yet fit for prime time - and there isn't a huge pressure on any body to develop it a lot further yet since Office 2007/2010 and even 2013 can be had relatively cheaply. Remove these versions and the whole ball game changes radically.

Cheers
jimbo

It is not the software I am worried about it is the internet usage charges that will be affected phone internet was all you can eat now it is not. Email is next they will charge both ways for email like I said the list goes on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
remember Lotus 1-2-3 and Ami Word -- which were almost the de-facto standards in spread sheet and word processing applications - both these soon got absolutely CANED by a new upstart called "Microsoft".
Lotus 1-2-3 lasted until earlier this week!
Goodbye, Lotus 1-2-3 | ZDNet

I was quite surprised it was still around to be honest. I did use it until Excel 4.0a came along, but then never looked back.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
It is not the software I am worried about it is the internet usage charges that will be affected phone internet was all you can eat now it is not. Email is next they will charge both ways for email like I said the list goes on.

In Australia, we've never had an 'all you can eat' option with internet, it's always been charged on speed and/or download quantity.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Here is what they really want.

App metering: A nonsensical licensing model
For applications like Creative Suite and Office, there is no justification for metering. There is no capacity issue; after all the software runs locally on your computer. It's like trying to charge people each time they read a book they bought, each time they play an album they bought, or each time they watch a DVD they bought. No wonder Creative Suite users are angry!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
I found this comment quite ironic, considering how Microsoft removed the boot to desktop and start button options:

But Microsoft, as it made plain on Tuesday when it took a swipe at Adobe's decision, has retained perpetual licenses for Office 2013, which runs on Windows, and Office for Mac 2011.

"Unlike Adobe, we think people's shift from packaged software to subscription services will take time," said Clint Patterson, director of communications for Office, in a blog post. "We are committed to offering choice -- premier software sold as a package and powerful services sold as a subscription."

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
"Unlike Adobe, we think people's shift from packaged software to subscription services will take time,"

Let me translate that for you:

We are going to bleed you dry. Unlike the other nasty companies, we are going to do it slowly. Isn't that nice of us.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
What I really meant was that if Microsoft feels that moving to a subscription service will take time (for people to accept this model), then how on earth did they presume that moving to the MPI, in one fell swoop, wouldn't cause acceptance issues and also take time?

My Computer

System One

• OS
They have only decided to act peoples champion recently.

They had stiff resistance to 8/metro and they smelt it was coming when they proposed changes to office licensing.

They backed off that - temporarily.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Massively Overreact

"Unlike Adobe, we think people's shift from packaged software to subscription services will take time,"

We are going to bleed you dry. Unlike the other nasty companies, we are going to do it slowly. Isn't that nice of us.

What I really meant was that if Microsoft feels that moving to a subscription service will take time (for people to accept this model), then how on earth did they presume that moving to the MPI, in one fell swoop, wouldn't cause acceptance issues and also take time?

Perhaps they mean, they are planning to "miss the boat" and then massively overreact. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,

Perhaps they mean, they are planning to "miss the boat" and then massively overreact. ;)

Hi there
A more realistic translation would be

"We'll introduce this so slowly and stealthily that people won't notice until it's too late and we'll also avoid any bad publicity. By the time people notice it will be too late for them to resort to alternative solutions as we will have long since withdrawn all our standard perpetually licensed offerings".

That's the way companies tend to operate --sucker the customers (nowadays increasingly called punters so it shows what they really think of their customers) in with a lot of sweet talk and then rely on the usual inertia of people to avoid change by then raising prices etc etc. How often do people change their Bank accounts for example.

You can usually see examples of this type of practice everyday on TV commercials. On a recent visit to the UK you can see almost half hourly TV commercials for special offer low priced or even FREE broadband (always for NEW customers !!) for the first six months and then Bang the full price. Also what they often don't show (or show in Tiny letters right at the bottom of the screen) that you HAVE to pay XX.XX GBP per month for "Line Rental" regardless of whether or not you actually want or need their phone service,

Mind you what on earth is "Line Rental" on a fibre optic high speed digital cable system -- I'm an Engineer and I still can't work out what that is yet --anybody in the telecoms 'biz --please explain. (I know what the old "traditional Line" is but on a fibre optic digital system ????).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives