The Windows 8.1 Start Button Is a Sign of Defeat for MSFT

Windows 8.1 will represent not only the first major makeover for Windows 8, but it will also mark the return of the Start button, a very popular feature removed by Microsoft from its latest OS.

While this should be great news for consumers who have already migrated to Windows 8, some of them think that bringing back the Start button in Windows 8.1 is actually a sign of defeat for Microsoft, even though the company has clearly explained that it wants to get closer to its users.

The YouTube page of Microsoft’s first Windows 8.1 video preview is filled with comments that criticize Microsoft for its decision, but also call for a real Start button that would launch the traditional Start Menu.

In Windows 8.1, the button would only get users to the Start screen, thus providing them with a quick option to access the Metro UI.

“Windows 8 to have the start button in the lower left corner is a sign of defeat and, ultimately, it's a sign of Windows 8's failure to attract customers with its new features. I think that Microsoft just threw way too many new things at us in one package. If they did what Apple and Android do and increment new changes at a steady pace (every 6 months or so), Windows 8 could have been a lot more successful,” one user explained.

The Windows 8.1 Start Button Is a Sign of Defeat for Microsoft, Users Claim

3) For a menu like system simply create a custom toolbar with the programs you want to appear .

Thanks for mentioning this, I hadn't discovered this feature yet. Pretty cool!

Now we get a page that eventually becomes chock full of difficult to find icons.

You know that you can unpin anything and everything from the Start Screen? The only icons on my Start Screen are shortcuts for the dozen or so programs I use, including links to the File Manager and Control Panel. Launching a program is as easy as Winkey + boom! Not difficult to find at all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Gateway FX6840
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 860
    Memory
    8 GB