The PC industry just doesn't get it

The PC industry still doesn't get it - Neowin

"The OEMs need to learn that whether it’s with Windows, Android, Linux, or some other future platform, the only way to win people’s hearts and minds is through good design and execution of products and marketing. Simply packing the most numbers possible into a generic plastic case, and pricing it as low as you can is not a solid marketing strategy. Apple changed the game, and average consumers no longer care, and don’t want to learn what terms like quad-core, GPU, multi-touch, IPS, OLED, etc. mean."

I bloody don't care if you can't use the 520, I'm using that to make a point which you obviously dodged.

I didn't dodge anything. What's the point of citing as an example, something that one can't use?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I bloody don't care if you can't use the 520, I'm using that to make a point which you obviously dodged.

I didn't dodge anything. What's the point of citing as an example, something that one can't use?
I didn't even use that as an example as something YOU can use, I used that as an example to show how a smartphone can be built and designed cost effectively, not cheap. I can use the 520 here in the US, I don't care about that nor do I care if you can.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Yeah, it's like how great the Surface Pro is, but kind of a moot point if you can't get one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Yeah, it's like how great the Surface Pro is, but kind of a moot point if you can't get one.

What's the difference if you've interacted, played around with, and used one?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
As the song goes 'You can't touch this':

Microsoft won't reveal sales figures, but according to market watcher IHS iSuppli, of 1.25 million Surface tablets shipped during the fourth quarter of 2012, only 55 per cent to 60 per cent were purchased, leaving half the stock to gather dust on shop and warehouse shelves.

Adding to Microsoft's Surface RT woes, along with the lukewarm response, IHS reported a ''very high'' return rate on the device, which it attributed to the steep learning curve required to use the Windows 8 OS.

There are no Microsoft stores in Australia, so consumers willing to buy the Surface RT online (and wait up to three weeks for a pre-order) had to take a leap of faith. Smart says that's not a risk an average consumer is willing to take. ''People like to feel the weight, touch the interface and understand the accessories, and when they can't do that, there are a lot of great alternatives out there. You've got to be a fanboy to wait three weeks for one pre-ordered online.''

With the Surface RT languishing in warehouses and the Surface Pro just about unobtainable - stores estimate a month's wait on orders - Microsoft seems to know no middle ground.

Microsoft takes stock of strategy

My Computer

System One

• OS
As the song goes 'You can't touch this':

Microsoft won't reveal sales figures, but according to market watcher IHS iSuppli, of 1.25 million Surface tablets shipped during the fourth quarter of 2012, only 55 per cent to 60 per cent were purchased, leaving half the stock to gather dust on shop and warehouse shelves.

Adding to Microsoft's Surface RT woes, along with the lukewarm response, IHS reported a ''very high'' return rate on the device, which it attributed to the steep learning curve required to use the Windows 8 OS.

There are no Microsoft stores in Australia, so consumers willing to buy the Surface RT online (and wait up to three weeks for a pre-order) had to take a leap of faith. Smart says that's not a risk an average consumer is willing to take. ''People like to feel the weight, touch the interface and understand the accessories, and when they can't do that, there are a lot of great alternatives out there. You've got to be a fanboy to wait three weeks for one pre-ordered online.''

With the Surface RT languishing in warehouses and the Surface Pro just about unobtainable - stores estimate a month's wait on orders - Microsoft seems to know no middle ground.

Microsoft takes stock of strategy
What does this have to do with anything?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Your words, to which I refuted:

What's the difference if you've interacted, played around with, and used one?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I don't have a single solitary clue what either of you are talking about :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
LOL! They've been at it the greater part of the day. :huh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I don't have a single solitary clue what either of you are talking about :)

I'm not quite sure what robot's on about either. It's always a guessing game when it comes to deciphering what he means.

My Computer

System One

• OS
The PC industry still doesn't get it - Neowin

"The OEMs need to learn that whether it’s with Windows, Android, Linux, or some other future platform, the only way to win people’s hearts and minds is through good design and execution of products and marketing. Simply packing the most numbers possible into a generic plastic case, and pricing it as low as you can is not a solid marketing strategy. Apple changed the game, and average consumers no longer care, and don’t want to learn what terms like quad-core, GPU, multi-touch, IPS, OLED, etc. mean."

Whats really going to make or break the PC is how well-received Blizzard's new nextgen MMORPG codenamed Titan is, as games like that tend to drive new hardware sales. WoW has really been showing its age, and there needs to be a new flagship product that pushes PC Gaming.

There is also Everquest Next, which is also in the pipeline for a release at the end of the year. Its also supposed to be its own take on Sandbox MMO's and something completely different from what has been seen before. Time will tell.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
Back