Taskbar Shows on Start Screen After Windows Updates

The rule seems to be that changing between the Desktop and Start Screen using the Start Button, keeps the Taskbar showing on the Start Screen and any Apps that are opened.

To hide the Taskbar on the Start Screen and any open Apps, use the keyboard's Windows Key to switch between the Desktop and Start Screen.

Not too bad once used to doing that but this seems more like a bug than a feature.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
That's how it's suppose to work with auto-hide turned on and off.

Since the August 12th 2014 Windows Updates in Windows 8.1, the taskbar will always show on the Start, apps, and PC settings screens if you do not have the taskbar set to auto-hide and you open the Start screen by pressing the Start button on the taskbar while on your desktop. If you multiple screens, then you can click on another screen to hide the taskbar.

If you do not have the taskbar set to auto-hide or you open the Start screen by pressing the Windows :winkey: key, you will not see the taskbar on the Start, apps, and PC settings screens unless you open the taskbar.

How to Open the Taskbar in Windows 8.1

I'm a little confused here because, yes, when you click the start button, the taskbar does show up on the start screen, however as soon as I move the mouse away from the taskbar it auto hides... even though I have auto hide disabled :confused:

Anyway I think there are two different things going on here and thus causing some confusion...

1 - when you click the start button you are taken to the "Start" screen, there the taskbar is shown and than auto hides when you mouse off of it.

2 - Now, when you click the circular down arrow on the Start screen, you are than taken to the "Apps" screen, where you can scroll from left to right, and... you will get the taskbar if you mouse way down to the bottom of the screen, but moving away from the bottom here will return to the scroll bar.

3 - I'm also sure that if your Start screen is full of apps requiring a scroll bar, there will be one there, if not, no scroll bar necessary.

At least that's the way I see it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v

Since the August 12th 2014 Windows Updates in Windows 8.1, the taskbar will always show on the Start, apps, and PC settings screens if you do not have the taskbar set to auto-hide and you open the Start screen by pressing the Start button on the taskbar while on your desktop. If you multiple screens, then you can click on another screen to hide the taskbar.

If you do not have the taskbar set to auto-hide or you open the Start screen by pressing the Windows :winkey: key, you will not see the taskbar on the Start, apps, and PC settings screens unless you open the taskbar.

On my desktop PC, with all the updates applied, checking or unchecking the auto hide the taskbar has no effect on how it operates in Metro Apps and the Start Screen. The only thing it does is auto hide it when I'm on my Desktop screen. I have my taskbar set to show on all three monitors, and auto hide is unchecked. If I open Metro App on a screen the taskbar hides on that screen. It will pop up again if I mouse down to the bottom of that screen. If I launch the Start Screen from the taskbar it will stay visible until I mouse away from the Start Button. Moussing back down brings it up again. Same thing with All Apps, it only shows if I mouse down to the bottom of the screen. If I use the Windows Logo Key to launch the Start Screen it opens with the taskbar hidden. I have to mouse down to get it to pop up. 8.1 Pro update 64 bit with Media Center and Nvidia graphics, if that matters. No third party "start menu" program installed.

EDIT: I just fired up my laptop which has all the same updates applied and its working as I posted above. Just the one monitor though and AMD graphics. I have show Metro Apps on the taskbar checked on both PC's.

Yeah, I've noticed it doesn't do this with multiple displays.

On my laptop with just one display, the taskbar always shows as I posted above. Odd.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
The rule seems to be that changing between the Desktop and Start Screen using the Start Button, keeps the Taskbar showing on the Start Screen and any Apps that are opened.

To hide the Taskbar on the Start Screen and any open Apps, use the keyboard's Windows Key to switch between the Desktop and Start Screen.

Not too bad once used to doing that but this seems more like a bug than a feature.

Mine works the same way.

I guess the biggest problem (like the op) is that if the taskbar is on the bottom it covers the scroll bar on the apps screen. This also would make it a bug. The main screen height or width needed to be adjusted to allow for the taskbar.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Built in the basement with the usual thunder, lightning and scary organ music
    CPU
    Intel i5 4690 Quad Core 3.5Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z97-G55 SLI, AMI BIOS v1.9
    Memory
    Corsair DDR3 - 8GB (2x4GB) 1600Mhz
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 24"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB,
    HDD: WD 1TB
    PSU
    Corsair HX750
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF 912
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

I'm a little confused here because, yes, when you click the start button, the taskbar does show up on the start screen, however as soon as I move the mouse away from the taskbar it auto hides... even though I have auto hide disabled :confused:

Anyway I think there are two different things going on here and thus causing some confusion...

1 - when you click the start button you are taken to the "Start" screen, there the taskbar is shown and than auto hides when you mouse off of it.

2 - Now, when you click the circular down arrow on the Start screen, you are than taken to the "Apps" screen, where you can scroll from left to right, and... you will get the taskbar if you mouse way down to the bottom of the screen, but moving away from the bottom here will return to the scroll bar.

3 - I'm also sure that if your Start screen is full of apps requiring a scroll bar, there will be one there, if not, no scroll bar necessary.

At least that's the way I see it.

That's the way it works for me too, as soon as I mouse away from the Start Button the taskbar auto hides. As near as I can tell the "auto hide the taskbar" option only affects the Desktop Taskbar. It has no effect on how the taskbar behaves on Metro Screens/Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2

On my desktop PC, with all the updates applied, checking or unchecking the auto hide the taskbar has no effect on how it operates in Metro Apps and the Start Screen. The only thing it does is auto hide it when I'm on my Desktop screen. I have my taskbar set to show on all three monitors, and auto hide is unchecked. If I open Metro App on a screen the taskbar hides on that screen. It will pop up again if I mouse down to the bottom of that screen. If I launch the Start Screen from the taskbar it will stay visible until I mouse away from the Start Button. Moussing back down brings it up again. Same thing with All Apps, it only shows if I mouse down to the bottom of the screen. If I use the Windows Logo Key to launch the Start Screen it opens with the taskbar hidden. I have to mouse down to get it to pop up. 8.1 Pro update 64 bit with Media Center and Nvidia graphics, if that matters. No third party "start menu" program installed.

EDIT: I just fired up my laptop which has all the same updates applied and its working as I posted above. Just the one monitor though and AMD graphics. I have show Metro Apps on the taskbar checked on both PC's.

Yeah, I've noticed it doesn't do this with multiple displays.

On my laptop with just one display, the taskbar always shows as I posted above. Odd.

It works the same on my laptop as it does on my desktop. I can't reproduce this glitch even if I switch to a single display on my desktop. The taskbar auto hides on any Metro Screen I open, just like it did before I did my Windows updates.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
From what I read elsewhere on the Internet (search for: windows 8.1 taskbar bug august update), some experience the Taskbar peculiarities and some don't. That's what makes me think the behaviour is unintended (a bug). I wonder what the difference is between the Windows 8.1 computers that do this and those that don't?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I've restored the original image and installed all updates.

Odd, it doesn't seem to be doing it now.

I double checked and checked for updates and there were none, except an optional one.

Is the optional update a Windows update?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Built in the basement with the usual thunder, lightning and scary organ music
    CPU
    Intel i5 4690 Quad Core 3.5Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z97-G55 SLI, AMI BIOS v1.9
    Memory
    Corsair DDR3 - 8GB (2x4GB) 1600Mhz
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 24"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB,
    HDD: WD 1TB
    PSU
    Corsair HX750
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF 912
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
From what I read elsewhere on the Internet (search for: windows 8.1 taskbar bug august update), some experience the Taskbar peculiarities and some don't. That's what makes me think the behaviour is unintended (a bug). I wonder what the difference is between the Windows 8.1 computers that do this and those that don't?

It appears that it is affecting PCs with only a single display screen.

I don't have the issue on my desktop with 3 screens.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
I've restored the original image and installed all updates.

Odd, it doesn't seem to be doing it now.

I double checked and checked for updates and there were none, except an optional one.

Is the optional update a Windows update?

Yes, it's from one of the August 12th 2014 updates, but don't know which update caused it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone

I agree, its not intended, its a glitch. I have two more PC's here to update, 1 laptop and 1 desktop. The two I've done already don't have this glitch, 1 laptop and 1 desktop. I'll post back in a bit when I'm done.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

I agree, its not intended, its a glitch. I have two more PC's here to update, 1 laptop and 1 desktop. The two I've done already don't have this glitch, 1 laptop and 1 desktop. I'll post back in a bit when I'm done.

Yeah, it appears to be a glitch.

I have the issue on the laptop (1 display), but not on the Surface Pro 2 tablet (single display) or desktop (3 displays).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone

It appears that it is affecting PCs with only a single display screen.

I don't have the issue on my desktop with 3 screens.

My desktop (3 monitors) doesn't have it and neither does my laptop that only has the one screen. Both are fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
I just ran Windows update on my wife's laptop, it did 13 updates, KB2975719 wasn't listed at all though. The only thing listed under recommended was a AMD driver update. This one didn't glitch either. I ran Windows update again and still no KB2975719? I'm running Windows Update on my other desktop now, it showed 32 updates listed, no KB2975719 listed for it either? Did Microsoft pull it already? When its done updating I run Windows update again, this PC hasn't been updated / used for a while.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
KB2975719 is MIA on my other desktop PC too. I think they pulled it? I ran Windows update three times and its saying its all up to date. This PC also does not have this glitch.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
KB2975719 is MIA on my other desktop PC too. I think they pulled it? I ran Windows update three times and its saying its all up to date. This PC also does not have this glitch.

I think you're right, I hid the update here and now it's gone.

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home
yep its gone

did my patch tuesday updates 3 hours ago, all smooth, but left this optional alone todo it seperately, was there 5mins ago RE-Ran check for updates and its gone
(laptop)
Roy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    x55a asus
    Antivirus
    bitdefender
    Other Info
    this laptop was/is still posted on asus website as W7
I just uninstalled it on my desktop PC. No issues that I know of after the fact. I made a restore point first just in case.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
I uninstalled KB2975719 on the laptop, restarted, and I still have the issue. :(

KB2975719 doesn't show back up when I check for updates.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
I uninstalled KB2975719 on the laptop, restarted, and I still have the issue. :(

KB2975719 doesn't show back up when I check for updates.

That sucks. I'm just lucky I guess. I haven't rerun windows update after uninstalling it but I will now. please stand by. :)

EDIT: It's listed under optional for me? 169.6 MB. I'm almost positive the original was 170 + MB? :confused:

EDIT No.2 I'm not installing it, don't want to press my luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard