• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home
Hmm... let's see, to start of, please stop treating me like some sort of a computer newbie so we can reach an understanding.

• Startup in Task Manager is empty.
• I checked "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" and there are nothing in it.
• I restarted my system and still the same.
• A program that I put in that startup folder in order to run on start-up doesn't open on start-up anymore, obviously.
• Of course the default programs on startup are still running, like video card and other stuffs that goes on system tray.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Sorry, my bad! It's my 'wording'; didn't mean to 'sound' condescending, my apologies!

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home
I've had this same issue on one of the Win 8.1 machines on my desk, never had it with any of the others I've serviced and updated over the last few weeks. I've discovered something.

I used Ccleaner to view the startups.

On the Asus (blank startups tab in Task Mgr) Ccleaner has all the things which ARE starting up, but greyed out, and all show 'No' in the Enabled column. If I right-click one (I'll use Skype as an example) and select 'View in RegEdit' it leads me to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Msconfig\startupreg.

On the HP (startups tab in Task Mgr looks normal) the Enabled column says the same as Task Mgr - those I've disabled say 'No', the others say 'Yes'. Viewing the registry for the Skype entry leads me to an entirely different place: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

So now what do I do?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Back