Survey request

Do you use a 3rd party "Start Menu" program?

• Yes

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 60.0%

• Total voters
I don't use one, I'd rather learn the features of the new OS instead of trying to make it look like an older one, what's the point of that, you might as well stick with the older one.

The reason I have configured my Windows 8 Pro to run like Windows 7, is that it has features that my Windows 7 Home Edition installation does not. Windows 8 is also designed to be more secure than 7. I can run Windows 8 from the start screen, but I still prefer having the Windows 7 start menu.

One of the strengths of the Windows 8 platform is that it has always considered backward compatibility. I originally thought the thing would completely upset my ecosystem when, in fact, it does not. Though I'm not a heavy user of the "Modern" side of the thing it's there for me to study and keep an eye on as a developer. Aside from that it runs as my existing system was running on Win7 so I can literally "have my cake and eat it too".

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
I don't use one, I'd rather learn the features of the new OS instead of trying to make it look like an older one, what's the point of that, you might as well stick with the older one.

The reason I have configured my Windows 8 Pro to run like Windows 7, is that it has features that my Windows 7 Home Edition installation does not. Windows 8 is also designed to be more secure than 7. I can run Windows 8 from the start screen, but I still prefer having the Windows 7 start menu.

One of the strengths of the Windows 8 platform is that it has always considered backward compatibility. I originally thought the thing would completely upset my ecosystem when, in fact, it does not. Though I'm not a heavy user of the "Modern" side of the thing it's there for me to study and keep an eye on as a developer. Aside from that it runs as my existing system was running on Win7 so I can literally "have my cake and eat it too".

-Max

Everybody has their own preferences and what is "right" for one person, is "not" what another might want. I have read all the discussions on this forum about the pro and cons of the start screen as opposed to the start menu and in the end, I just simply do it "my way". :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    CyberPower
    CPU
    i5 2500K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe
    Memory
    8 gigabytes Corsair PC3-12800 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 460 superclocked
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic 23" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    128 Gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD
    128 Gb Kingston Hyper X SSD
    1 Tb Western Digital Caviar Black HDD
    PSU
    1000 watt Coolermaster modular
    Case
    Coolermaster Haf X full tower
    Cooling
    Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitec M310 USB cordless
    Internet Speed
    1.5 mb/s download 300 kb/s upload
I agree Max Peck, to me it is like have two operating systems. Right now the desktop is for work primarily
and I play on the metro. When a Metro app. meets my productive needs I will incorporate it into my routine.

walex

My Computer

System One

• OS
    MS Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1070T
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A87TD/USB3 (AM3)
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 688MHz (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    DELL ST2421L (1920x1080@60Hz) 1023MB GeForce GT 430 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Back