Start menu replacements

If you want an exact replica of Windows 7 Start Menu, use Ex7forW8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Y520
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 7300HQ
    Motherboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Memory
    4GB DDR4-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 1TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    OEM Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Internet Speed
    100 Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Other Info
    PC:

AMD Athlon X4 760K
    8GB DDR3-1866
    AMD Radeon RX 460
    Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM
My suggestion is that if you want windows 7, then keep it. Don't try and turn windows 8 into 7, you won't be satisfied with it.

When I got 8 I quickly went and got Start8. It was a waste of money, not because its bad (its an excellent program), but because I never use it. The start button is irrelevant in windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Other Info
    Surface RT
I would counter that the Modern UI, apps and the start screen are irrelevant in Windows 8 on a desktop/laptop PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
But without the Metro interface, isn't it just windows 7.1?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Other Info
    Surface RT
I am no less productive. My legacy programs are all right there on my start screen. There are lots of 'productive' metro apps too btw. I am fortunate that I do have a touch pc, and the metro tiles ARE better for touch of course, but my old laptop works just fine on 8 with it's old school trackpad.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Other Info
    Surface RT
The use of a start menu, like start8, is nice if you don't want to keep bouncing between two different UI paradigms. I suppose that's a matter of personal taste. You could get used to anything. So functionally, sure, a Windows 7 like start menu on the desktop may not be necessary. But some like it for usability as they don't like the back and forth bounce and are comfortable with what they were familiar with before. For me, personally, I can only say that the Start screen might provide the same functionality (not quite, actually, but close enough), but really provides no functional benefit.

I think a person can be satisfied using a start menu add-on to make Windows 8 behave like Windows 7 since Windows 8 does then appear like a Windows 7.x. This also then allows the user to dabble on the Metro side when they want to. The drawbacks are (a) if you really want the Aero look/feel of Windows 7, you don't have it - not functional, just eye candy, and (b) there are some apps and drivers that work on Windows 7 but are not compatible with Windows 8. It's up the individual user to figure out whether they have issue (b). But most common programs seem to work fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 / Win 8
    Lenovo T510 / HP ProBook 4540S
    CPU
    Intel i5-510m / Intel i3-3110m
    Memory
    4GB / 8GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6"
How many of you use a start menu replacement in 8?

If so, what do you use and why do you want a start menu?

Personally, I'm a big fan of Start8, it's insanely customizable and feels like 7.

I hate the start screen,it's so odd..

I'm really liking Windows 8 and the removal of the start orb was a turning point but I don't feel the need to install one now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hewlett-Packard
    CPU
    Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz
    Motherboard
    FOXCONN 2A8C 1.0
    Memory
    4GB DDR3 PC3-8500
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD (up to 1.26 GB) VGA
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 32" LCD LE32C450E1W
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500GB Internal
    PSU
    450w
    Case
    Generic HP Casing
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K270
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless M210
    Internet Speed
    Virgin Media 120MBp/s
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Free 2014
I got this Windows 8 PC right after Black Friday. I tried to use the PC without modification for a while. Just couldn't get used to it. For about a month now I have not seen the Start screen nor any of the apps, unless I happen to accidentally open a file that is set for an app then I fix that right away. Classic Shell gives me the Start menu I want and need, and allows me to never see the stupid Charms bar or any other corner popups. I made a QuickLaunch toolbar for my most used shortcuts. With all that done my new PC behaves almost exactly like my Win 7 PC at work, right down to the same very old programs that cannot run or install. I probably won't ever use the Metro screen unless I am bored and want to go in there and mess around on it. And I'm not one to shy away from a new OS experience, I have been thru many - from my first Atari PC in 1982, to Apples, to mainframes, to UNIX Cad systems, to MS-Dos, and on thru all Windows versions. With all MS products I have found third party software to be a great help in fixing Microsoft's shortsightedness and stupidity. I am glad the desktop was left in place with Windows 8, they could have really crippled it, I fear the next version of Windows will move in that direction.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
I got this Windows 8 PC right after Black Friday. I tried to use the PC without modification for a while. Just couldn't get used to it. For about a month now I have not seen the Start screen nor any of the apps, unless I happen to accidentally open a file that is set for an app then I fix that right away. Classic Shell gives me the Start menu I want and need, and allows me to never see the stupid Charms bar or any other corner popups. I made a QuickLaunch toolbar for my most used shortcuts. With all that done my new PC behaves almost exactly like my Win 7 PC at work, right down to the same very old programs that cannot run or install. I probably won't ever use the Metro screen unless I am bored and want to go in there and mess around on it. And I'm not one to shy away from a new OS experience, I have been thru many - from my first Atari PC in 1982, to Apples, to mainframes, to UNIX Cad systems, to MS-Dos, and on thru all Windows versions. With all MS products I have found third party software to be a great help in fixing Microsoft's shortsightedness and stupidity. I am glad the desktop was left in place with Windows 8, they could have really crippled it, I fear the next version of Windows will move in that direction.

I guess I just don't understand why you bought the windows 8 machine at all. If all you wanted was windows 7, why not just stay with it?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Other Info
    Surface RT
If you want an exact replica of Windows 7 Start Menu, use Ex7forW8.

Ex7forW8 is free, crippled version of StartisBack. Ex7forW8 is great if you are not planning to use Metro UI. Because Ex7forW8 blocks it. Also, you won't be able to create a new user via control panel, only via command line (net user etc.) or change user picture, plus trying to play media files assigned to Metro apps will give you an error, coz metro is totally blocked. Have to forget about Windows store too.
Well, with Ex7forW8 you basically get good old Windows 7 as its name states! Great free program!!! :geek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I guess I just don't understand why you bought the windows 8 machine at all. If all you wanted was windows 7, why not just stay with it?

I had to get a new PC in a hurry due to my old one crapping out randomly. Old PC ran XP, was not upgradable past 1G memory, not worth spending time or money to fix, so no choice had to get another PC. The selection of new Windows 7 PCs locally was pretty thin and little to no discount on them. I got this PC the week after Black Friday for the BF price of $280. Any other PC with 1TB hard drive and 6G memory was near $400 or more. Past budget PC's I've had always ran low on memory and filled the HD within 1-2 years, there is little chance of that happening with this box. I debated getting a used PC off Craigslist, figured if I did that I'd probably have to spend the same $300 to get a very similar PC in 2-3 years anyway. Staples has a good 14 day return policy so I figured if I absolutely hated Windows 8 I would return it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Back