Solved Stange Issue with uEFI and Bios on Acer AO756 Netbook

You might want to tone down the attitude.

I noticed on my Wife's Acer Laptop that the UEFI Firmware Settings option is missing from the Troubleshoot > Advanced Options screen in Windows 8. Disk Management shows a EFI partition though. I'm not sure what's up with that. "Windows Boot Manager" is listed as no.1 in the Boot Priority Order and "HDD ST500L is no 2. On her BIOS Boot screen, above the Boot Priority Order listing is Boot Mode [UEFI] and Secure Boot [Enabled]. I see from your screen shots that those two options are missing on your PC. I have no idea why though. My ASUS laptop that is UEFI also lists "Windows Boot Manager" as the first option in the Boot list.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Just following up with an update for anyone encountering the same weird issues as i was.
Thinking about how my mac would fail to start up from external devices sometimes, i remembered that purging the NV ram would sometimes fix things, i looked for how to do that with an acer laptop.

Bridging the CMOS reset would not flush items from the NVram.
Flashing new bios apparently does not clear it either, it only writes to the EPROM (odd, id thought it would flush out the nvram as well, just to get rid of any configs and start anew)

According to acer you can clear the NVram with the following steps :
Disconnect the A/C power > Remove the Battery > then press and hold the power key for 1-2 minutes to drain all power from any capacitors still holding a charge (and thus clearing the NVram (isnt it then still volatile if you clear it by removing power?) )

After that i was finally able to boot off my windows 7 DVD and the flash drive i had made as well.
An elegantly simple solution to a rather frustrating issue.

Apparently windows 8 writes the uefi stuff to the NV ram?
Im still not sure what happened, or why it was causing so much trouble, or how it even functioned. But hopefully it either happens to no one else, or that if it does, this helps someone

My Computer

System One

• OS
    OSX 10.6.8
    Computer type
    Laptop
Back