SSD hardware encryption, but no UEFI, TPM or HDD password?

There are plenty of reasons to encrypt a computer: Judge orders defendant to decrypt PGP-protected laptop - CNET

Admittedly, the person was a suspected criminal, but who is to say in the future, that law enforcement does not use these rulings as precedent to spy on people, etc? Just like owning a gun in the US is not necessary, but people do it, so too can you encrypt your computer, because you have the means to do so. Nothing wrong with it. Why not, really? If a thief steals it, they will have to purchase a new OS (lol). Your husband or wife cannot install key loggers (exaggeration because I lack a creative mind!) to help them in divorce proceedings, etc. It can be very useful.

How-to guide: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/21271-bitlocker-turn-off-os-drive-windows-8-a.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3820 CPU OC @ 3.80GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1.Assassin2
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator 16GB Quad Channel DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia by EVGA - GeForce GTX 670 4GB
    Sound Card
    On board Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    acer 24" H243H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Main 500GB Hybrid Drive @ 7,200RPM
    Secondary OCZ SSD Vertex 3 Max IOPS
    PSU
    Silent Pro 1000w gold 80+
    Case
    Azza Hurrican 2000
    Cooling
    Liquid CPU cooler & fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000
    Mouse
    Tek Republic Wired Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    5ms Ping 5.15Mb/s Download .64Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer
    Antivirus
    Defender, Malwarebytes
Hi, everyone.
I've just registered, and this is my first post.

I don't know how much use this would be to the op, but I've been looking at the CipherChain range of hardware encryption modules from Addonics as a solution to what I was originally after in a new PC build.

Before finding this, I had read other forums describing the ATA password function and how it was needed to make use of SEDs, and how few, if any, motherboards actually support it. Only one manufacturer that I know of, Asrock, do provide some support via their custom tailor made beta bios if you request it of them, and if it's available for a particular motherboard model. But having read a few newegg Z97 reviews, there are just too many unknowns with that option.

I'm still reading up on it, but on the surface, the advantages I see with the CipherChain option are as follows:
1> It is OS agnostic, and operates transparently between the drive and controller. No drivers are needed anywhere.
2> It is not tied to any motherboard or dependent on a specific motherboard function. If a motherboard fails, the module and encrypted drive can still be used on another motherboard.
3> A drive with SED functionality does not need to be used at all. Any SATA drive can be used.
4> A removal physical Cipher key is used instead of a password. (Personally, I do like passwords. But that's just me.)

I'm not totally sold on the idea of using one of their products, and if there are other alternatives to CipherChain, I'd be interested to know about them. CipherChain just happens to be the best solution I have found for my set of circumstances. One aspect of this option that concerns me is the lowly 150MB/s transfer rate that they state.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    linux
Back