SSD & Defrag

"Optimizers" I was talking about are likes of IObit, AVG system optimizer etc. There's tones of them and has been proven over and over that their usefulness is somewhere between nothing to downright dangerous and counterproductive.
I agree and that is exactly why I get frustrated when some automatically lump CCleaner with those "optimizers" that promise to make your system run better than new. CCleaner is probably the least aggressive, and IMO, that is a good thing. Not to mention, CCleaner always prompts you to backup the registry before making any changes and more importantly, its backup restore feature actually works.

As far as defragging starting right away, what I am saying is the system will start creating holes and filling holes as soon as you start using the computer again because every time you start Windows, temp files are created, temporary Internet files are downloaded, open files are locked and if modified, are then saved elsewhere, etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
WE've been told over and over again, that SSD's to not need to be defragmented and that's good advise.
That's true, they don't and even though Windows Optimize Drives status screen may make it appear defragging is enabled on SSDs, the actual defragging of files feature is not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
"Optimizers" I was talking about are likes of IObit, AVG system optimizer etc. There's tones of them and has been proven over and over that their usefulness is somewhere between nothing to downright dangerous and counterproductive.
I agree and that is exactly why I get frustrated when some automatically lump CCleaner with those "optimizers" that promise to make your system run better than new. CCleaner is probably the least aggressive, and IMO, that is a good thing. Not to mention, CCleaner always prompts you to backup the registry before making any changes and more importantly, its backup restore feature actually works.

As far as defragging starting right away, what I am saying is the system will start creating holes and filling holes as soon as you start using the computer again because every time you start Windows, temp files are created, temporary Internet files are downloaded, open files are locked and if modified, are then saved elsewhere, etc.
No I don't lump CCleaner in with those "optimizers" it is what it's name imply, a CLEANER and one of safest ones too. I have nothing against it, it's just that I don't have use for it because all of that could be done some other way, mostly thru windows own utilities.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
:eek: Oops. My apologies.

I see now what you are referring too and sadly, while trying to quickly respond here, I cannot find what I am looking for but I don't believe the problem is as bad as it seems. That is, Disk Optimize's consolidating free space feature is not as aggressive as it sounds - though it can take some significant time if not run in some time (another reason to let it automatically run in the background)

I will try to find the MS article that explains it detail.

Sorry again for not thoroughly reading and understanding your point.

It is too aggressive. While file defrag may complete instantly, it can then spend hours pointlessly thrashing a drive it reports as having 0% free space fragmentation. I documented this in that thread I linked to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
It is too aggressive. While file defrag may complete instantly, it can then spend hours pointlessly thrashing a drive it reports as having 0% free space fragmentation. I documented this in that thread I linked to.
I understand your point but I don't think your case represents the norm. If allowed to do its thing from day one after installation, it is not going to thrash a hard drive for hours on end. I have several W8 systems here and it is just not happening as you describe - nor do I see wide-spread complaints of that either.

I see this the same as Indexing. It can take almost forever for Indexing to completely finish indexing a large, loaded drive. But once done, it takes next to nothing to stay on top of it.

I would suggest you let it finish and see how it goes after that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I understand your point but I don't think your case represents the norm. If allowed to do its thing from day one after installation, it is not going to thrash a hard drive for hours on end. I have several W8 systems here and it is just not happening as you describe - nor do I see wide-spread complaints of that either.

I see this the same as Indexing. It can take almost forever for Indexing to completely finish indexing a large, loaded drive. But once done, it takes next to nothing to stay on top of it.

As I wrote in that thread I linked to, "What really sucks is that this is a freshly formatted drive restored from a backup using SyncBackSE and file-based copying."

I would suggest you let it finish and see how it goes after that.

See the thread I linked to for why I will not. That was kind of the whole point of the thread, stopping Windows from grinding a drive for hours on end to no useful purpose.

My Computer

System One

• OS
SSDs and Hybrids are two different things. A SSD should never be defragged but a hybrid is essentially a HDD with a SSD cache and should be defragged if really required.

Defrag is a strain even on a HDD - so use with moderation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Still, if this were a common problem, there would be millions of complaints about it. And since that is not happening, it would seem it is something unique with your system. Even your other post got very little attention and this is a pretty busy site. So my recommendation stands. For the vast of users, just Windows manage handle it unless you are one who enjoys and does not mind regular baby sitting of your system.

As far as grinding a drive for hours on end, that would not bother me much. Even standard hard drives are designed for 8 hours a day of constant use. Enterprise class drives for 24/7. If every time Windows ran Optimize Disk, it ran for many hours on end, then it might concern me because it would lead me to believe something else is wrong with the drive - which is what I fear with your drive.

Have you run chkdsk /r on it?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Still, if this were a common problem, there would be millions of complaints about it. And since that is not happening, it would seem it is something unique with your system.

As far as grinding a drive for hours on end, that would not bother me much.

Or, perhaps people don't notice it. After all, it's supposed to get out of the way and not decrease performance while it's taking place. My WD Green drive seeks are inaudible in my system designed for quiet computing, and IIRC, I only noticed it because I was looking at Task Manager at the time. Or, people do notice it, and like you, they don't care. God knows there are other Microsoft background tasks that regularly come alive to grind a disk endlessly. It used to drive me nuts back when seeks were audible, and if the cause of it was not worth it, like it is here, I would disable it.

Even standard hard drives are designed for 8 hours a day of constant use. Enterprise class drives for 24/7. If every time Windows ran Optimize Disk, it ran for many hours on end, then it might concern me because it would lead me to believe something else is wrong with the drive - which is what I fear with your drive.

Have you run chkdsk /r on it?

Oh please. :think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
Or, perhaps people don't notice it. After all, it's supposed to get out of the way and not decrease performance while it's taking place.
That would be a lot of people not paying attention - especially with default sleep mode settings.

They may not hear it but they should see the drive activity light without going into TM.

Oh please??? :( I have to say the same to you if you honestly believe 10s (100s) of millions of users don't notice their computer's drive activity lights are busily flashing for hours on end, week after week after week after week as you would have us believe.

And for the record, I would care if it was doing that week after week after week. But what I am telling you is that is NOT happening on the any of the W8 (or W7) systems here.

So you can be convinced your system is fine, and that's okay. But I am not because what you describe is happening on your system is NOT normal. Whether you choose to accept that is up to you. But I would still recommend you run chkdsk /r (and expect it to take a long time to complete - overnight if a large drive.

And for sure, note that every defragging program uses their own algorithms. So if you, for example, defrag with Defraggler, then immediately defrag with CountMike's Disk Speedup, Disk Speedup will report the disk needs defragging and will take a very long time to complete because it uses different algorithms. Then run Windows Optimize Disk and it will report it needs defragging again and take many hours.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
From what I have heard, SSD's can't be defragged. Since they don't write on random spots in the storage area, defragging would be useless and a waste of time. My friend claims that he had to get a new SSD because he defragged his 2 year old one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Inspiron M731R (5735, Late 2013)
    CPU
    1.70 GHz AMD A8 5545M Elite Quad Core
    Motherboard
    No idea
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 8510G Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" Inch Display
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    500GB 6GB/s Crucial BX100 SSD
    Case
    Blue Aluminum Finish
    Cooling
    Laptop Fan (Currently Unknown Name)
    Keyboard
    Came with it
    Mouse
    Utech Smart Optical Gaming Mouse US-D4000-GM
    Browser
    Google Chrome / Safari (On my iPod and iPad)
    Antivirus
    Vipre InternetSecurity2015/MalwareBytes Anti-Malware PREMIUM
From what I have heard, SSD's can't be defragged. Since they don't write on random spots in the storage area, defragging would be useless and a waste of time. My friend claims that he had to get a new SSD because he defragged his 2 year old one.

That is not quite correct. You can defrag a SSD but it is useless because the access time to any point of the SSD is the same. The SSD does write to random locations, but it does not matter. Access time to all locations is the same - typically 0.1ms.

I don't think a SSD breaks when you defrag it but it is unnecessary wear and tear.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I don't think a SSD breaks when you defrag it but it is unnecessary wear and tear.
Agreed. It won't break a SSD, it just wastes write cycles while providing absolutely no performance gains, nor does it free up any space. As whs noted, when the SSD needs data, it goes directly to the storage location electronically and gets the data. With a hard drive, it has to physically move a mechanical arm to position the read/write head over the spinning platter.

While the latest generation of SSDs don't really suffer from their limited number of writes (because that limit is in the many millions) earlier generation SSDs were very limited so running defrag not only provided no performance gains, it could noticeably impact the life expectancy of the SSD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back