Specific upgrade paths to get to all versions Windows 10

If you have a device with an older version of Windows or Windows Phone, Microsoft has now revealed more information on the specific upgrade paths that will available to get to Windows 10.

The company first revealed the seven Windows 10 SKUs last week, and a new blog post on the Windows Australia Partner Network has more details on the upgrade paths for Windows 7 and 8.1 users, along with Windows Phone 8.1:

• Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices in the first year. After the first year, upgrades will be paid via boxed product and VL Upgrades.
  • Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 7 Home Basic and Home Premium devices upgrade to Windows 10 Home
  • Windows 8/8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate devices upgrade to Windows 10 Pro
  • If upgraded within the first 12 months following launch, the device will receive ongoing Windows 10 updates for free for the life of that device
  • Excludes Windows Enterprise and RT devices
  • The free Windows 10 upgrade is delivered through Windows Update; domain-joined machines can manually get the update via Windows Update. The upgrade cannot be deployed through WSUS.

As previously announced, Microsoft's free upgrade to Windows 10 for Windows 7, 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 users will only last a year after the OS officially launches. Microsoft has yet to reveal pricing for the full version of Windows 10. Surface and Surface 2 owners with Windows RT are supposed to get an update that will add some features of Windows 10, but specifics about that update have not been revealed.

Read more: Here are the specific upgrade paths to get to all versions of Windows 10 | Windows Central

Say I upgrade to windows 10 (within 1 yr of the release)and then If I happen to revert back to windows 8.1(after a year) and then will it be possible to go to 10?

On the same PC you did the upgrade on, most likely yes. I say most likely because all the details haven't been released by Microsoft. If you get a Windows 10 product code with the free upgrade you could use that to reinstall it again latter on. I'm also assuming they don't lock out your key for the Windows 8.1 install you upgraded from. A lot of the answers to questions like the one you just asked are going to be guesswork on our part. There just isn't enough info out there yet to give a definite answer.

Will MS issue a key for each and every genuine customer? I really think they won't.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 professional x64 + WMC
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 5920
    CPU
    Core 2 duo T5550
    Motherboard
    ACER CHAPALA
    Memory
    4GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA X3100
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    160 GB HDD
Say I upgrade to windows 10 (within 1 yr of the release)and then If I happen to revert back to windows 8.1(after a year) and then will it be possible to go to 10?

On the same PC you did the upgrade on, most likely yes. I say most likely because all the details haven't been released by Microsoft. If you get a Windows 10 product code with the free upgrade you could use that to reinstall it again latter on. I'm also assuming they don't lock out your key for the Windows 8.1 install you upgraded from. A lot of the answers to questions like the one you just asked are going to be guesswork on our part. There just isn't enough info out there yet to give a definite answer.

Will MS issue a key for each and every genuine customer? I really think they won't.

Why not? You'll need it if you have to reinstall Windows 10.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2

Why not? You'll need it if you have to reinstall Windows 10.

I hope they issue considering the possibility of reinstallation of windows 10.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 professional x64 + WMC
    Acer Aspire 5920
    CPU
    Core 2 duo T5550
    Motherboard
    ACER CHAPALA
    Memory
    4GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA X3100
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    160 GB HDD
You can do that regardless, just use the install.esd file as usual and create your own Windows 10 ISO.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS420
Back