Software subscriptions: progressive or premature?

Office News - Software subscriptions: #progressive or #premature?
Like Adobe, we think subscription software-as-a-service is the future. The
benefits to consumers are huge. Subscribers are always up-to-date. They get the
latest and most complete applications. They can use subscriptions across the
multitude of devices people use today. Web services like SkyDrive and
applications like Skype are also more easily integrated with subscription
services, like the new Office 365 Home Premium.

However, unlike Adobe, we think people's shift from packaged software to
subscription services will take time. Within a decade, we think everyone will
choose to subscribe because the benefits are undeniable. In the meantime, we are
committed to offering choice--premier software sold as a package and powerful
services sold as a subscription.

As proof of this point, since the launch of Office 365 Home Premium and Office
365 University in January, more than a quarter of consumers buying Office have
chosen the subscription. This exceeded our expectations, given that software
subscriptions are relatively new to most consumers. So, perhaps the shift is
happening faster than we originally thought, and Adobe is helping blaze the
trail.

I think you mean libre office.

It is open source. No fees.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Rivals

I think you mean libre office.

It is open source. No fees.

Libre Office is Open Office's "rival".
They are both free (last time I checked).

A lot of Linux distros used to use Open Office (e.g. Ubuntu 10) but they seem to have swapped to Libre Office during the last couple of years.
Maybe the Linux distro makers hate Oracle. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
I'll tell you right now - Subscription-based software is not immune to Piracy. Also, what may arise, is Subscription Sharing. One guy Buys the subscription, others also can log in and split the cost. Usually access is granted by a user name and a login, but lately the developers have been making Dumb Terminal Software, that installs on the PC but only allows access after authentication is made.

A world where that is the only form of software, would suck.

That's a lot like with Office 365, two people can split the cost of a year long subscription, and install it on their PCs. One hundred dollars sounds better split between two people than hundreds of dollars.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Linux Mint comes standard with Libre Office. That may say something.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Cokey, The software I maintain uses a Shell - The user's Database is stored locally, and backed up on a server. The Libraries it connects to are online, you can actually log into them via a website using a Log/pass they give you when you buy it. So, these guys, they "rent" out their Log and Pass - to a few other guys, the main guy therefore gets it for free almost. So, the main shell Program, It activates via an active and paid up account number plus some MySQL gunk. I do not work for the company that sells it, but I know more about it than they do, I've been fixing it since 1999. It's actually a beautiful software bundle, very useful information. But - They also supply hard copy of their libraries, for Education, and customers who have no internet.

It's my job to keep the crud working. I've just learned recently, they have a built in non-internet-access activation. Any Subscription software may have this kind of "back door" - that's the thing that gets hacked. Not suggesting I or anyone I know or anyone else in here does this, it's just one way they break into Sub software. If iPhones can be Jailbroken, then any other software can be exploited.

So - If companies think that by making "sub only" software they cannot e hacked or pir8ed any more, they need to get slapped silly.

Anyway, I see the move to Cloud Software, which is what this is anyway, this was a move suggested as far back as 1991, the first time I heard of it. The Format was different but the idea the same - Just like Tape and CDs. back then, Microsoft was suggesting keeping the OS on the Network and to a remote login, they would then serve the programs to the users. There would be NO Storage drives on these machines.

Now, that was 1991. In 2013, I went to DMV to try to get my Reg... And they are USING systems like this now. each workstation is the sized of my hand - No Hared Drive, it's a Dumb Terminal.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
I'll tell you right now - Subscription-based software is not immune to Piracy. Also, what may arise, is Subscription Sharing. One guy Buys the subscription, others also can log in and split the cost. Usually access is granted by a user name and a login, but lately the developers have been making Dumb Terminal Software, that installs on the PC but only allows access after authentication is made.

A world where that is the only form of software, would suck.

That's a lot like with Office 365, two people can split the cost of a year long subscription, and install it on their PCs. One hundred dollars sounds better split between two people than hundreds of dollars.

Hi there
That sort of operation might work in a family household but it's not viable for individual users -- and still doesn't get over the fact that 3 computers for Office 2007 / 2010 student and teacher edition for a perpetual license beats the subscription price of Office 365 hands down.

Libre Office isn't really any sensible substitute for power users of most of the ms office suite -- some parts like the word processor might be "passable" but power EXCEL users will find the spread sheet program very limiting and for some projects totally not fit for purpose.

Casual users will find it OK though - even on Windows.

As for Hacking subscription software - there are zillions of methods (or so I'm told) - especially for software that you can run locally - this type of software usually "Phones home" every so often once it checks that the user is connected to the internet - then it logs in and checks the license against the activation servers records. I'm told the trick is in preventing the software from actually phoning home when you are on the internet and then somehow replicating the work that the activation server does by having some hack on the local machine -- so I do tend to agree that if companies think Subscription models will combat Piracy -- they will be HUGELY disappointed.

I don't think too many people (Home users not corporates) will be interested in stuff that ONLY runs when connected to the web (music / film / multi-media streaming content is an exception - but for basic classical Windows applications people won't want to be connected to the web the whole time in order to use them).

Another even more Irritating system is also creeping in -- you need to connect to the internet ONCE each time you use the software --then you can log off again for that session and run locally. I don't think that system will last too long though as it can be hacked as above and really does cause user irritation.

Finally if companies are really desperate then they can supply a DONGLE -- this used to be popular several years ago - but since any "Mickey Mouse" factory in Taiwan / PRC etc can clone these for CENTS at a time I'm not sure if this method is viable anymore in 2013.

The most sensible system I've seen is is a hardware Key system that operates something like those Online Banking login machines. Each time you start up the session you have to enter something like your customer number . The start up program then hashes your customer number with say the BIOS number of the machine the software is installed on and then generates a number which you then enter before the software works. The Bios number would be stored in the little machine you would receive when you purchased your subscription so you would be restricted to the particular machine you've purchased the software for (or set of machines if the license of for several machines).

This is not 100% Hack proof but does a pretty good job --

Cheers
jimbo

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Cokey, The software I maintain uses a Shell - The user's Database is stored locally, and backed up on a server. The Libraries it connects to are online, you can actually log into them via a website using a Log/pass they give you when you buy it. So, these guys, they "rent" out their Log and Pass - to a few other guys, the main guy therefore gets it for free almost. So, the main shell Program, It activates via an active and paid up account number plus some MySQL gunk. I do not work for the company that sells it, but I know more about it than they do, I've been fixing it since 1999. It's actually a beautiful software bundle, very useful information. But - They also supply hard copy of their libraries, for Education, and customers who have no internet.

It's my job to keep the crud working. I've just learned recently, they have a built in non-internet-access activation. Any Subscription software may have this kind of "back door" - that's the thing that gets hacked. Not suggesting I or anyone I know or anyone else in here does this, it's just one way they break into Sub software. If iPhones can be Jailbroken, then any other software can be exploited.

So - If companies think that by making "sub only" software they cannot e hacked or pir8ed any more, they need to get slapped silly.

Anyway, I see the move to Cloud Software, which is what this is anyway, this was a move suggested as far back as 1991, the first time I heard of it. The Format was different but the idea the same - Just like Tape and CDs. back then, Microsoft was suggesting keeping the OS on the Network and to a remote login, they would then serve the programs to the users. There would be NO Storage drives on these machines.

Now, that was 1991. In 2013, I went to DMV to try to get my Reg... And they are USING systems like this now. each workstation is the sized of my hand - No Hared Drive, it's a Dumb Terminal.
Oh yeah, that's kind of different than Office 365.

That also made me think as well, in situations such as Office 365 where the program is installed locally and requires checking in on the internet, there can be a hack around that for sure. I can think of one software to pirate another software where it basically emulates an internet connection to fool that software that it is activated.

God, that would had been DREADFUL if a dumb terminal was done back in the '90s with dial up... Oh boy.

But usually in the enterprise, you will see dumb terminals like that connected back to a main server on site. It's just a network terminal and a screen. It does saves a BUNCH of costs for individual PC repairs, individual software upgrading, and less hassle as well to deal with individual system imaging and reimaging. But to do that on a large scale of 600+ million users? Ehhhhh....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Boys, and Girls what you are talking about here is basically what is happening with Google's Chrome OS. It is all basically run from Cloud Servers no actual hard drive based applications (yes, there are applications on a HDD just in case there is a lack of service). This also is what Apple is hoping to do with OS X, or the up and coming OS XI (will be interesting to see what direction Apple is going with OS XI).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
Lee, is the Chrome OS to which you refer, related to these new 'Apps" which are installed into my Chrome? I noticed several Apps I use all the time, suddenly being offered to me - Is that because I bought them?

This is the second time I have heard about Chrome OS - But I have never seen it, can I download it and use it? Ah - Yes, it is a form of Linux. So, it will connect to my Googol account and figure out all of the apps I bought that can run on it? It seems that some of my Apple iOS apps can be also downloaded for free for Droid- I was able to get them using my account in Bluestax. Maybe it was a fluke - Cos I have both AutoDESK and Creative Cloud accounts plus the cloud storage spaces which accompany them.

I had to download the Chrome OS Installer disk from a file repository, so it is taking a long time. Plus I'm doing it on my new old Inspiron 9100 laptop- (My New Old Laptop which I just got a new battery for for 48 bux flat- It's pretty good, the first time I used it and charged it full, it lasted half an hour then the battery level went to 7%. I'm trying to train it, this time, it lasted since 9:00 this morning and i have been using it all day, it was down to 40% then it dropped suddenly to 7%, so I hope it is just the training, that its not a bad battery, it's huge, 12 cells.) (Sorry for the tangent heh)

chromeapps.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Nobody has answered the question yet.

Question :

Software subscriptions:progressive or premature?

Answer:

Neither,they are regressive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
If ya wanna make the answer as simple as that, then Yah, I agree with that assessment. Regressive AND Repressive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Lee, is the Chrome OS to which you refer, related to these new 'Apps" which are installed into my Chrome? I noticed several Apps I use all the time, suddenly being offered to me - Is that because I bought them?

This is the second time I have heard about Chrome OS - But I have never seen it, can I download it and use it? Ah - Yes, it is a form of Linux. So, it will connect to my Googol account and figure out all of the apps I bought that can run on it? It seems that some of my Apple iOS apps can be also downloaded for free for Droid- I was able to get them using my account in Bluestax. Maybe it was a fluke - Cos I have both AutoDESK and Creative Cloud accounts plus the cloud storage spaces which accompany them.

I had to download the Chrome OS Installer disk from a file repository, so it is taking a long time. Plus I'm doing it on my new old Inspiron 9100 laptop- (My New Old Laptop which I just got a new battery for for 48 bux flat- It's pretty good, the first time I used it and charged it full, it lasted half an hour then the battery level went to 7%. I'm trying to train it, this time, it lasted since 9:00 this morning and i have been using it all day, it was down to 40% then it dropped suddenly to 7%, so I hope it is just the training, that its not a bad battery, it's huge, 12 cells.) (Sorry for the tangent heh)

View attachment 21581
The only place I have found it is at a computer store down in Sun Vally (laptop). Played with it for about an hour, albeit not all that impressed. For Google it just hasn't taken off yet. . .:cry:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
Nobody has answered the question yet.

Question :Software subscriptions: progressive or premature?

Answer: Neither,they are regressive.

So far I fine premature. But, who's to say one way or another time is the major factor. The "Average User" really doesn't need a high priced subscription to high end software. If you look at this as having to pay for two or more different subscriptions this could be the deciding factor. To me it is easier to upgrade maybe every three to four years, thus giving me a one time payment. Do not really see any reason for updating every couple of months, or even a year or two. But, then that is me there are others who for some reason believe they must get the latest and greatest hits right then and there.

Why do you see it as "Regressive?"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
Some chromebooks recently have been on display at my local not so best buy. I toyed around with them, and got upset at how unfamiliar and unintuitive it was that I condemned google forever and understood why no one wants them. But no, actually, there really isn't much there to be had. An android 4 tablet has more features and capabilities than a chomebook. An android 4 based smartphone has more capability and features than a chromebook. That isn't a good thing in my notebook.

I've seen utilities such as registry and other system cleaners be subscription based. There is a one year, two year, or lifelong subscription (basically buying it). Once that expires, you can choose to buy a new subscription. Honestly, if this subscription "wave" just means it's a different payment form for a service, then this is just meh. Some people can't afford 500 dollars for a new Office Pro Plus suite, but 100 dollars a year is more of an affordable option. That I guess also ties back to anti-piracy measures, because it now can make something that would cost over 1,500 dollars more affordable at 50 a month. I for one, don't have 1,500 dollars lying around to through at Adobe CS 6, but I do have 20 a month to throw at a subscription so I can use it when I use Photoshop from time to time.

Subscription payments does not equal web based services that are only accessed on a browser.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
LOL.

I think you missed the point.

Look at this question:

Shall I beat you now, or shall I beat you later?

Now look at this :

Software subscriptions: progressive or premature?

They are examples of what is commonly called a loaded question.

They presuppose something. The idea is to restrict replies to those which fit the questioner's agenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
It is one of many techniques used to influence opinion. In a lot of cases, it isn't really a question - it is a rhetorical, i.e. a statement.

You will notice the frequent use of words like "forward" and "progressive" in MS PR. Those words imply "better". Repeat them enough and it influences opinion.

Another technique is to say a number of things that are true to get people nodding along, then slip in a lie.

Related technique is to say a lot of things that satisfy your audience existing prejudices, then slip in something you wish them to incorporate into their prejudices. Repeat enough times and there you go.

You would be surprised how effective it can be.

Well known bit of research ( Loftus/Palmer ) shows the general principle - it goes roughly like this:

Subjects watch a video of car crash.

If you ask how fast the cars were travelling when they smashed into each other - the answer will be much higher than if you asked

how fast they were travelling when they bumped into each other.

They were even able to get people to falsely remember bits of wreckage/glass, etc - depending how they phrased the question.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I found a couple of Linux "versions" of Chrome OS - They are not really Chrome OS, some guy named Hexxeh or something, who works for Googol, has made a bootable USB version, I don't know exactly how it works, but it does not work with my Dell 9100 laptop. I also have an ISO image, I'll burn that and see if it comes up, then I'll post some screenshots.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Have you posted that in wrong thread?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Some chromebooks recently have been on display at my local not so best buy. I toyed around with them, and got upset at how unfamiliar and unintuitive it was that I condemned google forever and understood why no one wants them. But no, actually, there really isn't much there to be had. An android 4 tablet has more features and capabilities than a chomebook. An android 4 based smartphone has more capability and features than a chromebook. That isn't a good thing in my notebook.

I've seen utilities such as registry and other system cleaners be subscription based. There is a one year, two year, or lifelong subscription (basically buying it). Once that expires, you can choose to buy a new subscription. Honestly, if this subscription "wave" just means it's a different payment form for a service, then this is just meh. Some people can't afford 500 dollars for a new Office Pro Plus suite, but 100 dollars a year is more of an affordable option. That I guess also ties back to anti-piracy measures, because it now can make something that would cost over 1,500 dollars more affordable at 50 a month. I for one, don't have 1,500 dollars lying around to through at Adobe CS 6, but I do have 20 a month to throw at a subscription so I can use it when I use Photoshop from time to time.

Subscription payments does not equal web based services that are only accessed on a browser.

I have a chromebook and I really like it. I use it way more than my Asus transformer and the surface pro from work. For 250, it's great for my web consumption.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Now it is the chromebook thread?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back