So, does the upgrade "really" need to have anything previously on HD?

Hello guys.

When I 1st received mine from Amazon yesterday I was wondering myself, so I tried to do a advanced custom clean install from Windows 8 RTM enterprise what I did have installed at that time, and that actually work btw.

Windows 8 was automatically activated aswell.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
So it looks like you can't install this on a blank drive.

so even though you used VMware to try and install windows 8 on a blank disk, does this mean I can install windows on a new ssd that I bought that currently has nothing on it....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro
    CPU
    i7 920 @2.67Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI x58m
    Memory
    8Gb Corsair XMS3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD5870
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 830 128Gb
    3x Samsung 500Gb
    Cooling
    Coolermaster 212 Hyper Evo
I see no reason why you can't install it on a clean disk if you're putting it on the same PC.

MS will already have a record of the activation anyway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP

so even though you used VMware to try and install windows 8 on a blank disk, does this mean I can install windows on a new ssd that I bought that currently has nothing on it....

If you bought Windows 8 (the upgrade) I don't think it will work, because this is a new drive and there was no Windows 7, Vista or XP before on that SSD.

It looks like you will need to get the Windows 8 System Builder kit....

Hope this Helps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Seven x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC
    CPU
    2.2 GHz Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Quanta 3600
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3470
    Sound Card
    ATI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Labtop
    Hard Drives
    ATA Hitachi HTS543215 (5400RPM)
    Internet Speed
    Basic DSL 1.5 up and Down
If you bought Windows 8 (the upgrade) I don't think it will work, because this is a new drive and there was no Windows 7, Vista or XP before on that SSD.

It looks like you will need to get the Windows 8 System Builder kit....

Hope this Helps.
ah bummer.. there is so much contrivers with this and I have read and been told that I should be able to do a clean install with windows 8 on a fresh hard drive as long as I have a genuine windows package (which I do) ....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro
    CPU
    i7 920 @2.67Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI x58m
    Memory
    8Gb Corsair XMS3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD5870
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 830 128Gb
    3x Samsung 500Gb
    Cooling
Just give it a go what does it matter, its a clean disk anyway it doesn't take long to install, you'll soon find out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
what I did want to do then was save me some cash, although it is cheap the moment, but if this doesnt work, then at least I can put that money towards the full version of windows 8 :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro
    CPU
    i7 920 @2.67Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI x58m
    Memory
    8Gb Corsair XMS3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD5870
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 830 128Gb
    3x Samsung 500Gb
    Cooling
Glad to report that it works! I used a Win7 retail disc and did a clean reformat. I did not enter a serial number and left the OS on 30-day trial mode.
I went to the Windows 8 upgrade page and downloaded the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant and made the purchase from there.
My guess is that the Upgrade Assistant never checked for a product key!!
This is great news especially since I've never owned a Windows OS (had a volume-licensed WinXP then a pirated Win7 in my teens). Feels good to finally have a legit OS for my homebrew.
I was able to burn my DVD ISO and do a clean reformat using that Win8 disc.
Thanks to dproberts55 for posting his results and making it known this is even possible.
To Microsoft, thanks for letting the few of us that have been too broke to afford your excellent OS finally get on the bandwagon. Now that I have Win8 Pro, I won't mind shelling out another $40 for Win9 in a few years. Microsoft now has a new loyal customer..

I almost forgot to mention, after I entered my payment information (credit card number, billing address) and clicked the "make purchase" button (or whatever it says), the Upgrade Assistant said that the purchase could not be completed. So I clicked "back" (you're never supposed to do this) and rechecked my payment information (card number, etc.). I clicked "make purchase" again and again it failed. I then used a completely different card and the purchase went through. I later checked my checking account via online banking and I had BEEN CHARGED THE FIRST TWO TIMES!! YES, THE FIRST TWO THAT HAD SUPPOSEDLY FAILED!
I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or will experience it but those 3 charges, each for $39.99 work out to being just under the price for Windows 8 "System Builder" DVD on Newegg for $140!
I called Microsoft and they politely informed me that I'll be given a refund (seriously, bless them, they're too good to us) but I wondered if this was Microsoft's way of getting close to fair market value for their new OS..
I'm just happy I got Win8 Pro.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Professional
    Did it myself!
    CPU
    Intel i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    ASUS Sabertooth P67
    Memory
    G.Skill 16Gb 1600MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x GTX570's SLi
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi USB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2410
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
Yes, you can, but the same rules apply as Windows 7 End User Liicence Agreement:
Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version - Windows 7 Forums

So in the end you have to have a valid Windows 7 OS (or other ones that are listed) to be able to clean install Windows 8. .

Yes, than you do a clean install legally.

Do you have a valid Windows XP/Vista or 7 OS for the new PC.
If NO, you need a full.retail or OEM.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4

The test he did with VMWare should be the same as if you had a blank hard drive in your computer. It sounds like it DOES not work as it won't activate with that key.

Glad to report that it works! I used a Win7 retail disc and did a clean reformat. I did not enter a serial number and left the OS on 30-day trial mode.
This does NOT mean it installs to a blank hard drive. This means it installs to a previously installed system, whether activated or not. That is NOT, what I want. I would have liked to have been able to load Windows 8 without loading Windows 7.

This is great news especially since I've never owned a Windows OS (had a volume-licensed WinXP then a pirated Win7 in my teens). Feels good to finally have a legit OS for my homebrew.
Well, technically you do NOT have a legit OS. You weren't entitled to the upgrade version, you should have paid the price for the full version. You took advantage of a loophole.

To Microsoft, thanks for letting the few of us that have been too broke to afford your excellent OS finally get on the bandwagon. Now that I have Win8 Pro, I won't mind shelling out another $40 for Win9 in a few years. Microsoft now has a new loyal customer..
You say it was a homebrew computer. How much did you spend on the hardware? I always question people who say they were too broke to pay the $100 for Windows 7 OEM..but then you find out they bought a $300 video card, and a $200 SSD, etc. I'm glad you have a paid for OS now...even if it was a violation of the EULA since you didn't own a previous version of Windows.

I'm yet to catch up on this thread, my case is similar.
I'll be installing it on a new hdd, mobo and processor too.
I want to know if that can be done with the retail upgrade dvd. Or do i need the systen builder?
My original post is in this thread here http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/10627-x32-x64-did-i-get-2.html#post127639

In your case, you NEED the System Builder license. The upgrade is only intended to upgrade...not build new.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I want to know if that can be done with the retail upgrade dvd. Or do i need the systen builder?
My original post is in this thread here http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/10627-x32-x64-did-i-get-2.html#post127639

In your case, you NEED the System Builder license. The upgrade is only intended to upgrade...not build new.

The oem versions are unfair, make any hardware change and activation is void. I'm using it on only one pc for personal use.
Btw i have win7 oem and i want to make that change to retail, but i don't think there will be a full retail for win8.

One way i can try is, after changing the hardware, i install my x86 win7 oem and try to get it activated by calling MS(i don't remember if there is a trial period for ome, if there is then i don't need to call MS).
If that is a success, then i can get the win8 dvd and install the x64 win8 pro.
This is just the theory i'm not sure if it'll work.
To be noted, i'll be doing a cross architecture upgrade, i need the x64 win8 on my x64 capable system running x86 win7 oem. As told previously hardware change is also in the equation.

And btw i think the virtual machine test failed because win8 can't be installed on 2 systems simultaneously...but the error did say something about it's only an upgrade version. notsure.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows7, 8 pretty soon
OK, so I think I have worked this out now... I should, in theory, be able to download and "upgrade" my current windows 7 machine to windows 8. But then instead of installing windows 8 onto the hdd with 7 on it, I will burn it to a disk and then install it to my ssd later.

I get the impression that Windows 8 makes sure you have a valid windows installation before it downloads and then after that it doesnt matter...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro
    CPU
    i7 920 @2.67Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI x58m
    Memory
    8Gb Corsair XMS3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD5870
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 830 128Gb
    3x Samsung 500Gb
    Cooling
OK, so I think I have worked this out now... I should, in theory, be able to download and "upgrade" my current windows 7 machine to windows 8. But then instead of installing windows 8 onto the hdd with 7 on it, I will burn it to a disk and then install it to my ssd later.

I get the impression that Windows 8 makes sure you have a valid windows installation before it downloads and then after that it doesnt matter...

It also needs to see the previous version on your system during the upgrade.

Jim :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner

Not so easy.
In theory u will be able to install it on a brand new ssd but u'll not be able to activate it.
There are workarounds for it but it's not a guarantee.
Someone said a double installation of win8 will do the trick like it was with win7.
U could try the phone activation method.
Something to do with editing the registry fixes it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows7, 8 pretty soon
It also needs to see the previous version on your system during the upgrade.

So if I perhaps install windows 7 onto the ssd first, activate it, and then install the update version of windows 8, that should be fine??

and then roofrider
Someone said a double installation of win8 will do the trick like it was with win7.
could you please explain this method??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro
    CPU
    i7 920 @2.67Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI x58m
    Memory
    8Gb Corsair XMS3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD5870
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 830 128Gb
    3x Samsung 500Gb
    Cooling
and then roofrider

Install win8 normally, it wont' activate.
Then do a fresh install win8 again over the existing win8 partition and u'll be fine.

Another option,
Install the win8 Release Preview on the new hdd and then install win8 pro ;)

Have the reg hack as the last option but it's confirmed to work for almost everyone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows7, 8 pretty soon

The oem versions are unfair, make any hardware change and activation is void.

Untrue. With OEM versions in the past, you are NOT allowed to move the OEM license to another computer. And with any version of Windows, OEM or retail, if you make a substantial # of changes to your system you may have to reactivate it and this might cause you to have to make a phone call rather than activating over the Internet. Now, with the OEM version in the past, if you upgraded your mobo, processor, memory....well that you were really building a new computer and activation may remain in a failed state.

With the new System Builder licence, it's suitable for the home hobbyist to use now (in the past, MS said it was not). You are going to use the Personal Use License (PUL). Windows 8 System Builder Product--Personal Use License

The license above grants exclusively the right to transfer this PUL to another computer;
Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Anytime you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers. You may transfer Get Genuine Windows software, Pro Pack or Media Center Pack software only together with the licensed computer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Untrue. With OEM versions in the past, you are NOT allowed to move the OEM license to another computer. And with any version of Windows, OEM or retail, if you make a substantial # of changes to your system you may have to reactivate it and this might cause you to have to make a phone call rather than activating over the Internet. Now, with the OEM version in the past, if you upgraded your mobo, processor, memory....well that you were really building a new computer and activation may remain in a failed state.

With the new System Builder licence, it's suitable for the home hobbyist to use now (in the past, MS said it was not). You are going to use the Personal Use License (PUL). Windows 8 System Builder Product--Personal Use License

The license above grants exclusively the right to transfer this PUL to another computer;
Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. To make that transfer, you must transfer the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to that other person, without retaining any copies of the software. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Anytime you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers. You may transfer Get Genuine Windows software, Pro Pack or Media Center Pack software only together with the licensed computer.

I understand, that post is so yesterday.
I did say in another thread the win8 oems are hardware upgrade friendly.
While with win7 oems technically hardware upgrades are not allowed but MS did allow it, if u say motherboard=computer i'm not going to argue but i don't agree.
I'll say upgrading and u'll say building a new computer, whatever the case may be MS did reactivate but it was not straightforward, it was a gamble and it depended on the person at the other end of the line, but most of the time they re activated it.
There have been cases where even with motherboard change(i'm not talking about say model replacement) the win7 oem key was activated without any trouble not even a phone call was required. And other cases where even simple reinstall with no changes resulted in phone activation be required. It depends.
However MS recognized this and that is why a change has been brought about in the win8 system builder pul license.
Now, will they still be as lenient as they have been with win7 oem even today after the win8 release? I don't know.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows7, 8 pretty soon
and then roofrider

Install win8 normally, it wont' activate.
Then do a fresh install win8 again over the existing win8 partition and u'll be fine.

You can not install Windows 8 without entering the product key and if it is a upgrade key it won't install if it doesn't see a previous version on your system. This is not Windows 7 and the rules have changed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
Back