Solved show us your BBC apps

The BBC is the largest broadcaster in the world by number of employees. It is much like our PBS here in the U.S., but much bigger. Quite popular I would imagine since it is publicly owned.

I'm not sure, but I think the BBC is the only television and radio broadcast in Great Britain, although there are various newspapers and magazines. Perhaps one of our members would verify either way?

I'm not a app writer, but I would imagine that these are the simplest apps to write, therefore probably popular amongst app writers. Perhaps one of our members that write apps would explain better?

I just looked up BBC in the Google Play Store. There are 2965 apps in just one of the categories of online news and radio players. In the music category there are even more at 8,710.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I'm not sure, but I think the BBC is the only television and radio broadcast in Great Britain, although there are various newspapers and magazines. Perhaps one of our members would verify either way?
Hi there Hippsie,

The UK has had commercial radio and television in addition to the BBC for many years now (guessing it's since the sixties if not earlier).

I can still remember only having 4 TV channels (of which two were BBC) but since the invention of digital terrestrial broadcasting and also satellite broadcasting, there are now many more. However the BBC does try to maintain a reasonable level of quality for its channels, particularly (IMO) in Radio.

It's also many people's main website for news and I think there's a lot of web infrastructure there - it's very rare for the BBC website to be down, for instance.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
There are 5 what used to be called terrestrial channels. You need to pay a license fee , currently £145 p.a. ( I think ).

BBC is widely regarded as the best quality broadcaster in the world. The UK Commercial channels are too.

I could manage just fine with those 5.

There is also freeview - dozens of free channels..

Correct me if I am wrong - I thought pbs was pretty poor, therefore almost everyone in the US ends up being milked by the various cable /satellite providers?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Thanks for the info, fellow forumeers. :)

Commercial TV started here with 3 major networks > ABC, NBC, and CBS. Here in Chicago there was an independent station named WGN. They are nationwide now. There were a few other local independents around the country. Everything was transmitted via antennae. Cable TV was introduced in the 70's and became very popular. The idea started in a eastern mountainous area where someone on the mountain with good antenna reception wire-fed the houses in the valley and started to charge a fee because of amplification costs.

A company named Comcast with their Xfinity is huge. Dish was next. at&t now has Uverse. There are hundreds of stations to choose from. They all supply TV, data, and phone services. I'd guessimate they're all around $60 on up to $150 per month depending on what service package one gets.

Correct me if I am wrong - I thought pbs was pretty poor, therefore almost everyone in the US ends up being milked by the various cable /satellite providers?

The cable/satellite/telephone line is just part of the privately owned infrastructure for a monthly fee and sponsors' commercials. One can still get TV via antennae if one chooses. The amount of stations is limited to 20 or 30 depending on location. That is free, but also with sponsors' commercials. PBS is carried by both infrastructures.

Actually PBS is quite good IMO. PBS: Public Broadcasting Service / PBS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I watch it via the internet. More informational documentary type, news, music shows, and theater on it. You'll notice they carry some of your English produced shows. This is commercial free except a short "Sponsor statement" or short commercial in the beginning of the program. Mostly supported by public donations and charity or trust foundations.

We used to watch Monty Python's Flying Circus religiously every Sunday evening on PBS. That was a classic to me. Very funny stuff! :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling