Share to homegroup does not keep the edit permissions

Same problem

I have the same problem too. My data files are on a different partition form my OS and it keeps resetting the file permissions. Very annoying!!

I hope they fix it soon as it is really inconvenient!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
I have abandoned Libraries altogether as it is just not worth the hassle. I don't use any of the flashy new Windows apps either because they need the files in the Library. Yes, they are very pretty and yes, you can navigate through to an individual file, but unless anyone knows of a way to let them get all the content in folders outside of the Library, they are simply not worth the effort. They should "just work".

Thanks Microsoft, for spoiling another piece of software.

Sharing outside of Libraries works perfectly, so I am sticking to that and abandoning all the Windows 8 froufery.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Ye Olde Numbercruncher Co.
    CPU
    Gerbil 2.0.1
    Motherboard
    Straw
    Memory
    Linford Christie wining gold in Barcelona
    Graphics Card(s)
    MoonPig is pretty good
In order to have the Homegroup style sharing keep it's edit's to the write settings you must first ensure that the C:>Users folder is shared with Everyone >read>write,.

The problem is that write isn't enabled by default and needs to be set manually. This setting was over riding the Homegroup setting which is how it's supposed to work.

The C:>Users folder needs to be set up like the picture in order for the Homegroup sharing options to retain it's write setting.

What's strange is that the write permission vanishes on reboot but only with Windows 8, this definitely works on all my Win7 machines but Win8 seems to have a bug or something here which prevents the write access to Homegroup library's from staying put.

This is probably built into the system to prevent unauthorized access to Library's unless you change the setting manually after each reboot. It's hard to believe they would do this on purpose. :think:

Attachments

• Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    47.1 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
Thanks Gonzonator for the reply. It does seem Windows 8 easily gets itself confused with the file sharing.

Thanks also Chev. I am going to check out the permissions of my users directory, although for me they are on the E: drive as I have partitioned my disk. I'll let you know if your suggestion works.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
In order to have the Homegroup style sharing keep it's edit's to the write settings you must first ensure that the C:>Users folder is shared with Everyone >read>write,.

The problem is that write isn't enabled by default and needs to be set manually. This setting was over riding the Homegroup setting which is how it's supposed to work.

The C:>Users folder needs to be set up like the picture in order for the Homegroup sharing options to retain it's write setting. :)

Yeah, thanks a bunch. Spent last night restoring a system image after following your advice!

Several programs stopped working, and I was unable to download or save new files. Oh, and in addition, the problem with sharing files in Libraries wasn't solved. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Ye Olde Numbercruncher Co.
    CPU
    Gerbil 2.0.1
    Motherboard
    Straw
    Memory
    Linford Christie wining gold in Barcelona
    Graphics Card(s)
    MoonPig is pretty good

The C:>Users folder needs to be set up like the picture in order for the Homegroup sharing options to retain it's write setting. :)

Yeah, thanks a bunch. Spent last night restoring a system image after following your advice!

Several programs stopped working, and I was unable to download or save new files. Oh, and in addition, the problem with sharing files in Libraries wasn't solved. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

Aren't you the one who just mentioned that you gave up on Homegroups?

These are the basic share settings, exactly by the book, standard procedure in fact, and it does fix the Homegroup sharing problem as I've tried this myself on all of my systems. All I did was add write permissions to the original Share "Sharing Tab" settings so that the Homegroup write settings would hopefully stick.

The real problems start when Users get desperate and attempt to adjust the NTFS Security settings which is a mistake and that is where the problems usually begin.

This one setting could never directly cause a problem because just about everyone makes adjustments here if they require read/write access.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
I realize this thread is a bit old, but I was able to find a solution to this after putting up with the problem for awhile. It is indeed the Homegroup share settings for the libraries that are causing the issue. Windows for whatever reason wants to make the libraries' share permissions read-only. What you need to do is find your overall Homegroup share settings and turn OFF sharing for the libraries. Then, use windows explorer to find the actual folders you want to share, and set those to share with the Homegroup using read/write permissions. This worked for me and since I turned the library sharing off, my folders don't revert to share read-only on reboot.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
The good news is that this problem is fixed in Windows 8.1. The write permissions stick as they should through a reboot.

This was an unresolved bug in the Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW