Second screen not working

One more potential idea. Before you go to the effort of reinstalling Windows, you could try to do a system restore to a date before the problem developed. If the reinstall is going to work, that probably should as well.

Okay, two potential ideas - does the monitor have a function that allows you to select which input it displays? I really doubt that would be it, but I'm just trying to go through everything.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Crappy old Dell
    CPU
    Core 2 Duo e8500 3.16ghz
    Motherboard
    G33M02
    Memory
    3gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8600gt
When you get into doing a system restore I get a bit nervous. Does that pose risks of losing all my saved files from beyond the restore point through today? Is there a risk of corrupting anything on the computer?

Unfortunately, no. There are no functions to allow me to select inputs. These are basic, older monitors.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Widows 8.1
A system restore will not delete any data. Files that you have saved, either modified or created, will remain as you left them. However, any programs that you have installed since the date you select will be gone, and likewise, any windows settings that you have changed will revert.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Crappy old Dell
    CPU
    Core 2 Duo e8500 3.16ghz
    Motherboard
    G33M02
    Memory
    3gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8600gt
When you get into doing a system restore I get a bit nervous. Does that pose risks of losing all my saved files from beyond the restore point through today? Is there a risk of corrupting anything on the computer?

Unfortunately, no. There are no functions to allow me to select inputs. These are basic, older monitors.

No, system restore does not delete saved documents, pictures etc. The stuff in your Libraries is unaffected. When you select a restore point there should be an option to click and it will list all the effected programs. You can undo a restore too and go back to what it is like now. Assuming system restore doesn't fail in the process that is. If it works as advertised you should be fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Another idea... Could the resolution setting on the second display somehow have gotten changed to something that the monitor doesn't support? Maybe try changing the resolution for that monitor to 1024x768 and see if that makes any difference.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Crappy old Dell
    CPU
    Core 2 Duo e8500 3.16ghz
    Motherboard
    G33M02
    Memory
    3gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8600gt
I'd still like a web link to the "new cable" he bought, or at least the make and model number. Exactly how its hooked up would help too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
A system restore will not delete any data. Files that you have saved, either modified or created, will remain as you left them. However, any programs that you have installed since the date you select will be gone, and likewise, any windows settings that you have changed will revert.

Any tips on how to complete this? I don't want to be responsible for messing up a nearly new work computer by doing it wrong.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Widows 8.1
I'd still like a web link to the "new cable" he bought, or at least the make and model number. Exactly how its hooked up would help too.

I can't find a link for the one I purchased, but that one is not being used anyways so it doesn't apply. I'm back to the original adapter which is working, in a sense, that the computer recognizes the second monitor, just doesn't display on it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Widows 8.1
Another idea... Could the resolution setting on the second display somehow have gotten changed to something that the monitor doesn't support? Maybe try changing the resolution for that monitor to 1024x768 and see if that makes any difference.

I have changed the resolution between all the settings. None of them will display. I have also changed the frequency hz and that does nothing as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Widows 8.1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
I am only able to go back three weeks. It looks like I missed my chance to find a restore point from a few months ago.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Widows 8.1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Crappy old Dell
    CPU
    Core 2 Duo e8500 3.16ghz
    Motherboard
    G33M02
    Memory
    3gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8600gt
I'm having a similar issue. Had my pc about 3 weeks and was running my LCD tv as the main screen and my dell monitor as my 2nd screen. If I changed the source or turned my tv off it would flick over to my monitor. My PC ran an update over the weekend and noticed an AMD Driver warning message. The PC then stopped running duel screen and not playing through my TV. I managed to do a restore and the PC started playing though my TV again but my Dell monitor was just black. When I check my hardward in the control panel there is a yellow warning symbol. I run trouble shooter but it can not find the problem. The symbol for my dell monitor is flashing in and out. In the device manager screen everything was flashing in and out. I managed to uninstall my display driver and reinstall it but same issue. I then noticed the my AMD Catalyst Centre App had vanished. Managed to reinstall that and when I tried to detect my screens both screens just went black and flash in then black again for about 20 mins or so. I managed to turn my pc on and again my TV had stopped working. I have managed to get it working again but my dell monitor is still black. I tried using my Samsung 22in TV as my 2nd screen though the monitor cable and I have duel screen. I noticed this morning that I have no sound through my TV from my PV that runs through a HDMI lead. I didn't have a chance to check the sound settings but I do have sound though my stereo that is connected via a phono jack. Really have no idea what has happened to it other than an update ran. Really did not take any effort setting up duel screens when I got my pc and did not even have to use the AMD Catalyst Centre.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer Packard Bell iMedia S2185 Desktop
    CPU
    1.4GHz
    Motherboard
    AMD E1 E1-2500