Screenshot Claims To Show Coming Windows 8.1 Start Menu

Mostly lost in the noise surrounding the World Cup final, a screenshot floated around the Microsoft-watching community. The image picked up attention because it contains what some claim is an image of the soon-to-return Start Menu in Windows 8.1.

Microsoft promised that the user interface element would come back in a keynote this April. In the ensuing few months there hasn’t been much to go on in terms of new hints of what it might look like.

Read more at: Screenshot Claims To Show Off The Coming Windows 8.1 Start Menu | TechCrunch

Last edited:
You mean Windows 7 advocates here on forums want, which are but a minority in proportion to the general public worldwide. It looks as though less users were using the Start Menu only to plaster icons to the Desktop or Taskbar. How many Desktops such as waltc just posted above have we seen?

Probably a million or more...;) It's because that style of Windows GUI design is extremely popular with the majority of people who still don't want/need touchscreens...;) I like my desktop as pictured because everything is convenient for me--I never have to scroll a screen up, down, or horizontally, and use multiple pages (like the start-screen demands), because I can access every single program and file on the computer from that one single, simple desktop "page." The background imagery can be soothing, and relaxing, as opposed to the garish & jarring primary-color screens of the standard start page--I'd rather go easy on my eyes, etc...But again, there is no "right" or "wrong" here...it's all a matter of personal preference. *Except* for the differences between a touchscreen gui and a mouse/keyboard gui. The Win8 Metro GUI is horribly inefficient for a mouse/keyboard-driven gui; much screen space is wasted because the tiles and the text for *everything* has to be far larger for use with a touchscreen than it does for use with mouse & keyboard (for obvious reasons.) IE, what works well with touch doesn't work well with mouse/keyboard, and vice-versa.

I like the shortcut icons of certain programs I use very often to be immediately accessible from the desktop--so that's why they are "plastered" there--no menus, no page scrolling--every one of those programs is but a double-click away (with the mouse, remember.) Also, look at my taskbar. I place mine at the top of the screen as opposed to the bottom, but that's just what I got used to in the 80's during the eight years I spent with Amigas--old habits die hard, etc. But notice the programs I have pinned there on the taskbar--each one of those programs is executable with a *single* mouse click, and as I use those programs the most on a regular basis, I pin them there.

With the Classic Shell start menu as pictured above, I can easily access the rest of my installed programs (the ones that I use less often than the ones I've placed as shortcuts on the desktop), I can search the computer for a file, etc., and, again, I can do all of that without having to leave the desktop and/or scroll to another page, etc.

Therefore MS took Start Screen from the phone and made it better via Live Tiles and better personalization in order to organize to one's benefit. We've also entered an era of mobility, which demands touch UI, but one can navigate just as well with keyboard and mouse. BTW, Apps Screen is much closer to the Start Menu in functional replication, not the Start Screen.

Tiles, and etc. I think are fine for touchscreen-based tablets and for touchscreen cell phones, but they don't work so well for non-touch OS customers. I know I prefer the desktop, non-touch gui, overwhelmingly, but that is because I am not a fan of touchscreens. I find my keyboard & mouse much more user-friendly and precise than a touchscreen.

So...now you know why my Win8 desktop, and so many other Windows desktops, look like they do...;) The short of it is, if you don't use touch, then Metro does nothing except get in your way...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    UEFI install of Win8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    self-crafted
    CPU
    FX-6300 @4.515Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI 970a-G46
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 (2x4) 1600 @ 1800
    Graphics Card(s)
    2GB HD 7850 @1.05GHz core/6GB/s ram
    Sound Card
    RealTek 892
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG HZ281
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 320GB sata2 boot UEFI install of 8.1 x64;
    1TB WD Blue SATA 3;
    Seagate 2x 500GB sata2's in RAID 0
    PSU
    Corsair GS600
    Case
    LIan Li
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech Internet k-board
    Mouse
    Microsoft Sidewinder
    Internet Speed
    VDSL
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    built into OS MSE/Defender
    Other Info
    Had a brain amputation followed up by an all-lobe "clean-up" lobotomy last year, am doing fine. Life is so much simpler, now.
You mean Windows 7 advocates here on forums want, which are but a minority in proportion to the general public worldwide. It looks as though less users were using the Start Menu only to plaster icons to the Desktop or Taskbar. How many Desktops such as waltc just posted above have we seen? Therefore MS took Start Screen from the phone and made it better via Live Tiles and better personalization in order to organize to one's benefit. We've also entered an era of mobility, which demands touch UI, but one can navigate just as well with keyboard and mouse. BTW, Apps Screen is much closer to the Start Menu in functional replication, not the Start Screen.
Man you like to write.

So I guess all the articles etc. bemoaning the lack of a true Start Button in 8 and 8.1 are just one man's opinion (times thousands).

I could go on but why. If you like the way 8 and 8.1 are (lacking a true Start Button) don't move to 9 or don't install Update 2 if it includes it (which I doubt it will).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium on 2 Windows 8.1 on 1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Ok, Walt. Fair enough. All a matter of personal choice. This topic has been debated ad nausea. :D

The short of it is, if you don't use touch, then Metro does nothing except get in your way...

On the contrary. Personally it's a great aid to me and never in the way.

It may be more than 1 million, but what's selling at the moment? I know that W8 numbers aren't the best, but still selling none the less, especially on mobile units. Drastic change is always slow in any product until proven better.

Keep in mind that there is no faster navigation than with the finger. I'm quite sure everyone would agree with that.

On my tower PC I'm a "keyboardist" for navigation and have been since learning it in W95. Browsers and Taskbar are all I really use the mouse for, although there are shortcut combos for Taskbar. I had no problem adapting to 8.x with keyboard. In fact Page up/down, End/Home, and arrow keys work very well on the Start Screen to reach a tile quickly. While I'm there I'm getting information that the Start Menu didn't give me. I'm also desiring to get a touch monitor for quicker navigating. A tilted monitor such as the Surface would be best.

Like I stated, I used to use the hidden Taskbar of which I found best for me. Although silly, it can be filled/sized to fill the whole screen if one desires. I've tried the Desktop icons as you posted. I can understand that until I need to get to an icon with a window or more open and in the way. Then I have to move or minimize to get to an icon, or use the Start Button (or Windows key) to open the Start Menu to get to a link there. There is no difference whether I open the Start Menu vs the Start Screen so far as that goes. I would still have to scroll in either (at times). I find it easier to simply roll the mouse right (no mouse clicking) to get to what I need then click. That's, of course, if I use the mouse. With Taskbar, Start Menu, or Start Screen the desktop doesn't get disturbed unlike with desktop icons.

I'm not going to argue which UI menu is faster, but I will stress that the Start Screen gives me a whole lot more personal data than the old system, especially upon boot or wake with using less system resources. I've posted the link to my thread many a times, but it seems no one (but a few) wants to answer to it. The system is simply quicker in that respect.

BTW, one can configure using the same background image on both the Desktop and Start Screen in 8.1. I use Bing Desktop which gives me a new image daily. :)

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/16379-real-quality-boot-time-8-verses-7-a.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Man you like to write.

Yes I do now that I have the time in retirement. Simply stating my opinion just as everyone has a right. Is there something wrong with that? I'm quite sure there are some that don't read my posts and I'm also quite sure some would simply want me to go away. :D

So I guess all the articles etc. bemoaning the lack of a true Start Button in 8 and 8.1 are just one man's opinion (times thousands).

I could post a lot of articles in which authors are proponents of the new system "(times thousands)". There are members that posted here that came from Macs that claim the system is very similar. And it is in many respects.

I could go on but why. If you like the way 8 and 8.1 are (lacking a true Start Button) don't move to 9 or don't install Update 2 if it includes it (which I doubt it will).

Oh you can bet your sweet bippy I'll be upgrading to every new OS and update. Purchasing other devices as well. They only get better with time. :)

If they reintroduce the Start Menu (of which I'm hoping they do for those that want it) I'm quite sure it'll be optional just as we saw the changes from 8 to 8.1. I absolutely have no qualms with personalization. In fact, I think 8 was too extreme so far as that goes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Man you like to write.

Yes I do now that I have the time in retirement. Simply stating my opinion just as everyone has a right. Is there something wrong with that? I'm quite sure there are some that don't read my posts and I'm also quite sure some would simply want me to go away. :D
No nothing wrong with it. And I don't think much about it either way whether you stay or go.

But I know me and many others on the internet tune out after one or two sentences. Its a fact in our fast paced world. You may have good things to say but many might not ever read them because it may be at the end of a four paragraph 800 word post.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium on 2 Windows 8.1 on 1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Ok, Walt. Fair enough. All a matter of personal choice. This topic has been debated ad nausea. :D

The short of it is, if you don't use touch, then Metro does nothing except get in your way...

On the contrary. Personally it's a great aid to me and never in the way.

It may be more than 1 million, but what's selling at the moment? I know that W8 numbers aren't the best, but still selling none the less, especially on mobile units. Drastic change is always slow in any product until proven better.

Keep in mind that there is no faster navigation than with the finger. I'm quite sure everyone would agree with that.

HippsieG,

Bear in mind that I'm using 8.1x64, fully updated, and the only 3rd-party UI software I am using is Classic Shell's start menu. I much prefer Win8's under-the-hood performance to that of Win7, and its built-in .iso mounting function has turned out to be a feature I find myself using all the time as it's so convenient and powerful (and far more elegant than a 3rd-party hack like Daemon Tools was for me in Win7.)

The central problem with Metro, imo, is that Microsoft deliberately crippled the Win8 gui in order to force people to use a bunch of scrolling "start screens" instead of a single, convenient "start menu." The heck of it is, Microsoft more or less felt it *had to omit a start menu* from Win8 otherwise 95% of the people buying and running Win8 would run the start menu instead of the start screen(s). The logic Microsoft used for this decision was "bass ackwards," in my opinion. Far better to provide *both* solutions in the OS and let the customers decide which one they prefer, as opposed to trying to force something on their customers for purely arbitrary reasons, somethingthat is better suited to touchscreen environments. (Metro just isn't suited for traditional non-touch at all, imo.) So, now Microsoft is hustling and bustling in order to shoehorn a "start menu" back into Windows and simply let their customers decide which UI they'd prefer to use. Had Microsoft done this in the beginning, Win8 would have sold far better than it has to date. The really bizarre thing to me is that although it is easily possible to run Win8 without ever seeing the Metro UI, and even though the explorer.exe is mandatory for many critical tasks in Windows 8 (pull up the Device Manager, for instance--that's not Metro, that's the explorer.exe UI), Microsoft is still pretending (at least in public) that the only way to use Win8 is with the Metro UI--and as I've just illustrated, not only is that not true, but there are many critical UI areas in Win8 that do not and cannot be run under Metro at all. So Metro itself, even for touchscreens, is half-baked at best.

OK, last, I'm sort of surprised you'd say: "Keep in mind that there is no faster navigation than with the finger. I'm quite sure everyone would agree with that."

...;) I just don't think you've given this a lot of thought, really...;) Quick example of many possible examples disproving your hypothesis:

You are sitting at a desk in a chair facing your 27" (measured diagonally) computer monitor; In front of you, of course, is your keyboard and mouse. Pretend that the task before you is a very simple UI task, that is, you have to activate an icon at the bottom left corner of your monitor, and then activate an icon at the top right-hand corner of your monitor touchscreen.

Touchscreen: I click on the bottom left corner icon with my right index finger, then I move my entire arm the full 27 inches diagonally so that I can click the icon in the top right-hand corner of my screen, also with my right index finger.

Mouse: (assuming the mouse cursor is mid-screen when I begin) I rest my palm on the mouse and rotate only my wrist perhaps 1/2 of an inch to move the cursor over the bottom left-hand icon and then left-click the LMB with my right index finger; I then rotate my right wrist approximately 3/4 of an inch so that the cursor is now positioned over the top right-hand corner icon, and then simply press the LMB with my right index finger to also activate the second icon in the exercise.

With the touchscreen I have to move my entire arm 27" to press both icons; with the mouse I merely have to rotate my wrist a total of maybe 1.5 inches and click on the LMB twice to accomplish the identical goal. Winner, ease of use and speed: mouse, hands down. Now, think about moving your arm all around that 27" touch screen to press on screen icons all day long while doing a variety of tasks, versus rotating your wrist slightly and left-clicking when needed to accomplish the same things. The winner again is the mouse by a wide margin.

Next, suppose the area required for activation is only a few pixels wide? The fingertip will prove to be fairly crude in precision compared to a high-resolution mouse (high dpi accuracy.)

Next, what about general cleanliness comparing a screen you've been touching all day with your fingers versus a screen you haven't touched even once for the entire day? WHich do you think will require more cleaning and hygiene?

Finally, HippsieG, know that I certainly respect your preferences and this post isn't meant to persuade you of anything--it's only meant to illustrate why *I* prefer the mouse & keyboard to a touchscreen-driven gui...;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    UEFI install of Win8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self-crafted
    CPU
    FX-6300 @4.515Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI 970a-G46
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 (2x4) 1600 @ 1800
    Graphics Card(s)
    2GB HD 7850 @1.05GHz core/6GB/s ram
    Sound Card
    RealTek 892
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG HZ281
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 320GB sata2 boot UEFI install of 8.1 x64;
    1TB WD Blue SATA 3;
    Seagate 2x 500GB sata2's in RAID 0
    PSU
    Corsair GS600
    Case
    LIan Li
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech Internet k-board
    Mouse
    Microsoft Sidewinder
    Internet Speed
    VDSL
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    built into OS MSE/Defender
    Other Info
    Had a brain amputation followed up by an all-lobe "clean-up" lobotomy last year, am doing fine. Life is so much simpler, now.
I'm enjoying our "challenging", but constructive exchange, Walt. :) My main goal in all this is to bring out the facts and omit opinions. It seems to me that opinions cause arguments and they don't promote constructive discussions. This is not to say that I don't post my opinion. I can, however, state that I try my utmost to filter them out, only to consider the facts.

I believe the biggest fact is that MS as a business is moving in quite different and diverse directions in order to turn over a profit. Since Windows is their "main stay" and the tower PC is a dying business, would it not make good business sense to get that to run on as many devices as possible along with introducing and selling devices and services? It also seems to me that a touch UI is becoming more of a demand these days. That along with scanners. We see it more and more as time goes on. In any business there is evolution in the way things are performed and/or created. Robotics is a good example. Touch and scanning is another. Warehousing would unprofitable without scanning today. Touch cash registers, ATM monitors, airport terminals, train stations, jukeboxes, and others.

HippsieG,

Bear in mind that I'm using 8.1x64, fully updated, and the only 3rd-party UI software I am using is Classic Shell's start menu. I much prefer Win8's under-the-hood performance to that of Win7, and its built-in .iso mounting function has turned out to be a feature I find myself using all the time as it's so convenient and powerful (and far more elegant than a 3rd-party hack like Daemon Tools was for me in Win7.)

No doubt it's a leaner (using less resources) with added features we always expected with "the next OS". I find it hard to believe that it runs so well on older machines such as mine. I thought with 8 I would have to upgrade hardware, but it runs as good if not better than 7 did. Boots faster also, especially with giving me personal data as I stated.

Perhaps 8.x aided in the declining tower PC market. Nothing wrong with saving people money, especially with the the declined economies these past years.

The central problem with Metro, imo, is that Microsoft deliberately crippled the Win8 gui in order to force people to use a bunch of scrolling "start screens" instead of a single, convenient "start menu." The heck of it is, Microsoft more or less felt it *had to omit a start menu* from Win8 otherwise 95% of the people buying and running Win8 would run the start menu instead of the start screen(s). The logic Microsoft used for this decision was "bass ackwards," in my opinion. Far better to provide *both* solutions in the OS and let the customers decide which one they prefer, as opposed to trying to force something on their customers for purely arbitrary reasons, somethingthat is better suited to touchscreen environments. (Metro just isn't suited for traditional non-touch at all, imo.) So, now Microsoft is hustling and bustling in order to shoehorn a "start menu" back into Windows and simply let their customers decide which UI they'd prefer to use. Had Microsoft done this in the beginning, Win8 would have sold far better than it has to date. The really bizarre thing to me is that although it is easily possible to run Win8 without ever seeing the Metro UI, and even though the explorer.exe is mandatory for many critical tasks in Windows 8 (pull up the Device Manager, for instance--that's not Metro, that's the explorer.exe UI), Microsoft is still pretending (at least in public) that the only way to use Win8 is with the Metro UI--and as I've just illustrated, not only is that not true, but there are many critical UI areas in Win8 that do not and cannot be run under Metro at all. So Metro itself, even for touchscreens, is half-baked at best.

I find this to be rather exaggerating. There's not "a bunch of scrolling start screens". There's one. I'll give you Apps Screen, so 2. If we think about it, they took the Start Menu and divided it in 4. The Start Screen, Apps Screen, the advanced context menu (power user task menu) in the lower-left hot corner of the screen, and Charms, so it was something new to learn, which I feel a lot of people detested. I'm not pointing fingers, but some people just don't like or cope with change, including me at times. It seems resisting change is part of our human nature. There were/are different materials, techniques, and designs in construction of which is my profession. I had/have to keep up or I lose out. I found that keeping up with the times made me more money.

Where did you get that 95% would want to use a Start Menu? Please make reference. Stats are difficult to find. This may be an example of stating a biased opinion rather than fact. It states in the blog linked below of which includes stats that less and less used the Start Menu as time went on. If one follows the trend of those stats with given time it would most certainly be used less. Therefore, MS took the opportunity to introduce something different. Admittedly vastly different to fit into their new business model so as to sell items to turn over a profit just as in any business. If a business doesn't keep up then they go under.

Admittedly I think MS would like it if 8 never saw the light of day. 8.1 was much improvement. That's what should have been released. The old bosses are gone and the new ones are in place.

As with a lot of .exe-s like Explorer, in time they will be replaced with a Modern/Metro Store app such as we see with the OneDrive app that somewhat resembles Explorer. I think a lot more will be introduced in 9.

Now that we’ve briefly discussed the history of the Start menu, let’s discover how people are actually using it. We thought it would be interesting to see how the usage of the menu has changed over time. Figure 3 reveals the change in Start menu usage across the two versions of Windows.

Evolving the Start menu - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

OK, last, I'm sort of surprised you'd say: "Keep in mind that there is no faster navigation than with the finger. I'm quite sure everyone would agree with that."

...;) I just don't think you've given this a lot of thought, really...;) Quick example of many possible examples disproving your hypothesis:

You are sitting at a desk in a chair facing your 27" (measured diagonally) computer monitor; In front of you, of course, is your keyboard and mouse. Pretend that the task before you is a very simple UI task, that is, you have to activate an icon at the bottom left corner of your monitor, and then activate an icon at the top right-hand corner of your monitor touchscreen.

Touchscreen: I click on the bottom left corner icon with my right index finger, then I move my entire arm the full 27 inches diagonally so that I can click the icon in the top right-hand corner of my screen, also with my right index finger.

Mouse: (assuming the mouse cursor is mid-screen when I begin) I rest my palm on the mouse and rotate only my wrist perhaps 1/2 of an inch to move the cursor over the bottom left-hand icon and then left-click the LMB with my right index finger; I then rotate my right wrist approximately 3/4 of an inch so that the cursor is now positioned over the top right-hand corner icon, and then simply press the LMB with my right index finger to also activate the second icon in the exercise.

With the touchscreen I have to move my entire arm 27" to press both icons; with the mouse I merely have to rotate my wrist a total of maybe 1.5 inches and click on the LMB twice to accomplish the identical goal. Winner, ease of use and speed: mouse, hands down. Now, think about moving your arm all around that 27" touch screen to press on screen icons all day long while doing a variety of tasks, versus rotating your wrist slightly and left-clicking when needed to accomplish the same things. The winner again is the mouse by a wide margin.

Next, suppose the area required for activation is only a few pixels wide? The fingertip will prove to be fairly crude in precision compared to a high-resolution mouse (high dpi accuracy.)

Next, what about general cleanliness comparing a screen you've been touching all day with your fingers versus a screen you haven't touched even once for the entire day? WHich do you think will require more cleaning and hygiene?

Finally, HippsieG, know that I certainly respect your preferences and this post isn't meant to persuade you of anything--it's only meant to illustrate why *I* prefer the mouse & keyboard to a touchscreen-driven gui...;)

Oh, I thought long and hard about touch. One needs the proper equipment to perform touch. Perhaps you and others aren't familiar with touch screens and/or devices today. Let's forget the traditional tower PC monitor and introduce a tilted monitor with the Windows flag, back arrow, and search buttons on the bottom frame as we see on Nokia, Surface, and other devices. The monitor would be tilted and placed closer to the user so as to be comfortable in both reach and view. The mouse can be placed in basically the same position and a keyboard drawer is a definite must on any proper computer desk IMO. This to me would be an efficient setup.

When you mention icon, I assume you're referring to the on screen Start Flag in the lower left Hot Corner. The physical hard Start button remedies that. With the 3 physical buttons surely touch is way quicker than mouse and/or keyboard > Hands down. ;)

One could place multiple monitors in a crescent with a proper accommodating desk.

A pen would remedy the precision and hygiene problems, yes? The pen is quite a diverse peripheral. It actually replaces both the mouse and keyboard altogether via touch UI. One can write instead of typing if one prefers.

All in all, I'd like to see the results of a scientific study performed by the old and new systems as I described. That to me would settle a lot of disputes. I'd have to place my money on the new.

In closing, like you, I respect your preferences and I'm not here to persuade anyone into something I prefer. I'm just trying to share my thoughts with all the facts I can find.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Minority?

You mean Windows 7 advocates here on forums want, which are but a minority in proportion to the general public worldwide.
Minority?
You are using an interesting mathematics system.

Market Share OS (2014-07-04) 6 Month Bar Chart.png
Market share for mobile, browsers, operating systems and search engines | NetMarketShare

W7 has ~4x as many Desktop users as W8.
XP still has ~2x as many Desktop users as W8.

W8 vs XP numbers look better for W8 on W3Counter (but W7 still has ~4x as many users).
W3Counter: Global Web Stats

According to Web metrics firm Net Applications, Vista dropped 0.2 percentage points during September to end the month at an 18.6% slice of the operating system pie. It was the first decline for Vista since a 0.3 percentage-point slip in January 2008.
Computerworld - Gregg Keizer (October 2, 2009)
Vista peaks, starts decline in share as Windows 7 surges - Computerworld

After nearly 2 years, the W8 "collection" has only managed to gain ~2/3 of Vista's peak market share.

OTOH, I'm sure that W8 is installed on more mobile devices than XP or Vista.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
You mean Windows 7 advocates here on forums want, which are but a minority in proportion to the general public worldwide.
Minority?
Apparently we read and understand Hippsie's post differently. Of course it can be English not being my native language but as far as I can understand what Hippsie wrote, he means that the amount of Windows 7 advocates here at the Eight Forums is just a fraction of the worldwide general public.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.
Hi there

@waltc -- If you've got a 27" (or bigger) monitor I'd imagine that you'd be sitting FAR ENOUGH away from it (at least arms length away ) that even if you wanted to use Touch it wouldn't be feasible. Imagine with 50 inch or even bigger monitors -- most large screen TV's sold these days can operate quite decently as a Computer monitor too and often are used for that purpose.

However using Multi-monitors becomes slightly different - if so you are using a pen type device on a tablet like screen then using touch on one screen to project the image on to a larger screen becomes much more practicable. Photoshop for example -- but using Touch doesn't mean that you have to use horizontally scrolling tiles. Touch can be used IN CONJUNCTION with a mouse -- unfortunately the arguments proposed usually assume ONE OR THE OTHER. The most useable system actually allows both to be used concurrently -- filling in areas in Photoshop is much easier with a pen like touch device while manipulating large blocks of text for example is best done with a keyboard and mouse. No touch device even comes close for that purpose.

Note though provided you as a user can find a decent method of launching your applications the whole start menu debate is a bit silly now --if you want one there's applications around, if you don't want one don't use one. I can't understand the whole hostility to using 3rd party apps --- people use Browsers, Back up programs and loads of others without even the tiniest squeal -- why not a start menu if they want one.

My complaint is that an endless horizontal scrolling system is ridiculous when you have a lot of complicated large applications - it's ok for a FEW simple apps and that's more appropriate to a small Mobile phone screen - not an office Computer and certainly NOT a server.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Minority?
Apparently we read and understand Hippsie's post differently. Of course it can be English not being my native language but as far as I can understand what Hippsie wrote, he means that the amount of Windows 7 advocates here at the Eight Forums is just a fraction of the worldwide general public.
My Bad. :eek:

If "general public worldwide" means everyone, then that case it would also be true to say W8 advocates comprise an even smaller minority of the general public worldwide, than W7 or XP advocates.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
Minority?
My Bad. :eek:

In that case, it would also be true to say W8 advocates comprise an even smaller minority of the general public worldwide, than W7 or XP advocates.

Hi there

Ms is still making INCREASING revenues from Windows -- it's not all bad news for them. Remember also this was in a period that included the unpopular Windows 8 -- Windows 8.1 has alleviated a bit of that stigma. Most of the drop in profits was due to the takeover of Nokia.

Don't give up "on the Old Dog" just yet.

Microsoft profit hurt by Nokia, but revenues jump

cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there

Note though provided you as a user can find a decent method of launching your applications the whole start menu debate is a bit silly now --if you want one there's applications around, if you don't want one don't use one. I can't understand the whole hostility to using 3rd party apps --- people use Browsers, Back up programs and loads of others without even the tiniest squeal -- why not a start menu if they want one.

Cheers
jimbo

Jimbo,

Unless things have changed since I worked I Microsoft back in the early 90's, I think part of the complaint around 3rd party solutions is that they are third party. I remember working on the escalation team, among others, and the bottom line was to always get the client to remove their third party utilities first. To be honest, this often solved their issue 2/3rds of the time. Of course people were unhappy to hear that their Norton whatchamacallit they had purchased and love was going to have to be removed because they had already been told by Norton they didn't consider it their issue.

The philosophy at the company with regards to the OS was KISS. That meant running the OS as is. I can't imagine they have changed that view. Now if you discount that aspect of things, I totally agree that the start menu can be resolved either free, or next to free with 3rd party solutions.

As I keep soapboxing on though, I want to see Modern UI apps vetted in the store, and more functionality. The latter is said to be coming with regards to better development tools. The former, well until the marketing department is removed so they can spin the number of apps available we are probably a long way from a solution there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770k
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia 630
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 23 inch LED
    Screen Resolution
    1680X1050
    Hard Drives
    1 internal 1tb, 1 external 3tb
Ms is still making INCREASING revenues from Windows -- it's not all bad news for them. Remember also this was in a period that included the unpopular Windows 8 -- Windows 8.1 has alleviated a bit of that stigma. Most of the drop in profits was due to the takeover of Nokia.

Don't give up "on the Old Dog" just yet.

Microsoft profit hurt by Nokia, but revenues jump
It would be interesting to see a long term chart comparing the various MS divisions share of the total MS profit.

I thought that the Windows division was actually one of the lower income generating divisions these days.
I noticed that they were talking up the success of the Services division.

The other day I read an article quoting those analysts that you "really like" and they are projecting that PC sales will pick up this year.

Based on the Alternate Windows Versions meme, Windows 9 should be good.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
Minority?

W7 has ~4x as many Desktop users as W8.
XP still has ~2x as many Desktop users as W8.

W8 vs XP numbers look better for W8 on W3Counter (but W7 still has ~4x as many users).
W3Counter: Global Web Stats

According to Web metrics firm Net Applications, Vista dropped 0.2 percentage points during September to end the month at an 18.6% slice of the operating system pie. It was the first decline for Vista since a 0.3 percentage-point slip in January 2008.
Computerworld - Gregg Keizer (October 2, 2009)
Vista peaks, starts decline in share as Windows 7 surges - Computerworld

After nearly 2 years, the W8 "collection" has only managed to gain ~2/3 of Vista's peak market share.

OTOH, I'm sure that W8 is installed on more mobile devices than XP or Vista.

Please don't take the sentence out of context. The whole paragraph subject was the usage, or rather non-usage of the Start Menu by the general public.

What I wrote:

You mean Windows 7 advocates here on forums want, which are but a minority in proportion to the general public worldwide. It looks as though less users were using the Start Menu only to plaster icons to the Desktop or Taskbar. How many Desktops such as waltc just posted above have we seen? Therefore MS took Start Screen from the phone and made it better via Live Tiles and better personalization in order to organize to one's benefit. We've also entered an era of mobility, which demands touch UI, but one can navigate just as well with keyboard and mouse. BTW, Apps Screen is much closer to the Start Menu in functional replication, not the Start Screen.

According to MS data less and less were using it. The subject was not Windows 7's usage. I know 7 was a huge success and never have I mocked it. All I'm stating is that for me and others here on this forum (and elsewhere) are enjoying the experience and think it is a more efficient system to use, both in navigation and productivity via the Start Screen and Apps Screen. Also using the advanced context menu (power user task menu) in the lower-left hot corner of the screen, Charms, Store apps, services, synchronization, touch UI, and more. Perhaps some don't understand that any more than we understand how users stick to 7 or make 8.x to be as much like 7 via 3rd party programs.

Generally I think news articles and posts here are based on opinions or preferences (including mine) rather than scientifically proven facts via a study. At this point we can't prove the new system better any more than others can prove the old better.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Please don't take the sentence out of context. The whole paragraph subject was the usage, or rather non-usage of the Start Menu by the general public.
Fair enough. :)

The "general public worldwide" confused me.
I suspect that the majority of people worldwide don't have a PC, Smart Phone or Tablet.

IMO, desktops "covered with icons" weren't consciously created by most users (based on watching my friends).
They are caused by "crappy" program installers.

Some companies insist on placing their icons/logos all over a user's machine (their program updates always restore them too).
These companies rely on the fact that a lot of users assume that they are required and shouldn't be removed (like crapware bundled with installers). :mad:

Most open source programs (that I use) have superior installers when compared to a lot of commercial software installers.

BTW, Apps Screen is much closer to the Start Menu in functional replication, not the Start Screen.

I agree that the "All Apps screen" is more like the "Start Menu", than the "Metro screen" is.
The "Metro screen" is more like the left half of the "Start Menu" (the pinned programs area).

However, when I was playing with the W8.1 Enterprise Trial download I was not able to modify the "All Apps screen", unlike the "Metro screen" or the old "Start Menu", so I'm always amazed when people claim the new system is more customizable.

This issue may have been related to Activation restrictions (I know that some features are unavailable on the Trial versions).

According to MS data less and less were using it.
Data released by MS always seems to support MS' current current position.

The term "Snake Oil Salesman" seems to have originated in the US.
When some corporation is trying to scam (sorry ... market some product to) you they are always going to say that it is "the greatest thing ever made" and they often trot out "proof" that they are right.

When MS was trying to convince people that W8 was the greatest OS ever made (only a few months after it was released) they claimed that they had sold 100 million licenses, implying that "everyone" was upgrading to W8.
Usage statistics clearly indicated that there were far fewer than 100 million users accessing the Internet via W8.

Generally I think news articles and posts here are based on opinions or preferences (including mine) rather than scientifically proven facts via a study. At this point we can't prove the new system better any more than others can prove the old better.
Agreed. :)

This type of question can only be proven by independent testing.

Thanks for those links. :)

I thought that I had read somewhere that the Server division was raking in large amounts of money for MS.
The first links seems to indicate that MS' income (revenue and gross margin) is indeed from corporate purchases/renewals.
It also seems to be indicating that non-corporate income is dropping.

The second link ("Chart of the Day") clearly indicates that Windows 7 caused a massive increase in the profit share generated by the Windows division.

W8 "philosophical discussions" are probably moot, as we should start to see W9 previews soon (Ed Bott is predicting that W9 will be released around July 23, 2015).
Several years ago, with Windows 7 just around the corner, I looked at the historical intervals between Windows releases and noted that "the most stable and successful releases of Windows arrived roughly 1000 days after their trouble-plagued predecessors." If Windows 9 follows that timetable in the wake of the trouble-plagued Windows 8 release, it will ship on or about July 23, 2015.

Consider this my entry in the Windows 9 release date prediction poll. (You'll get the chance to add your prediction soon.

ZDNet - Ed Bott
Desktop PCs and the Windows desktop: Endangered species? | ZDNet

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
Hi there

"Non corporate " income might be dropping but as a % compared to corporate income or in absolute terms -- without that data the statement is essentially meaningless --sorry !!

In any case it's a perfectly OK strategy to rely more on the corporate market if the consumer market has matured - not only do they tend to buy in huge volumes you also get repeat licences, ongoing support contracts and all the other stuff that goes with having a lucrative contract to a large organisation -- IBM transformed itself from a Hardware company ("The Big Blue") into quite a successful service organisation and got rid of its PC division too to Lenovo.

As far as Laptops are concerned, unless you are talking about emerging markets, nearly everybody who wants one (consumer / home users) HAS at least one already and with modern hardware don't need to buy another one for YEARS. Desktops are similar -- these are very much a niche market --home hobbyists, gamers, a few specialized areas like professional video work and some large engineering projects (CAD etc).

That's why there's all this emphasis on Cloud based services and subscription rates -- the relative income (from consumers using subscription services -- NOT CORPORATE) is currently relatively small but it's "in perpetuity" and will be growing all the time. People get taken in by the LOW rates in the beginning and then when they are "captured" the prices rise inexorably.

Also the trouble with subscription stuff is that there is a total disparity of rates across the world. While Australia and N.Z might complain of higher rates than the US the UK actually gets the highest rates of al once the VAT (20%) is added -- there's even a comment somewhere on an Ms site saying something like " We can offer it cheap to the USA -- We'll make it up on charging the UK a much higher rate -- those people never complain and always pay up" !!).

Buying the software attracts no VAT if it's educational purposes and sourced outside the UK BTW. Doesn't apply though to Office 365 as this is supplied by Ms from within the EU (Ireland I think).

...................As usual, consumers in markets outside the US are paying a higher price for software. Microsoft revealed 2013 pricing in the US last September, setting Office 365 Home Premium costs at $99.99 per year. Given current exchange rates, the same product costs roughly US$50 more for European and UK customers than their US counterparts. The same price difference applies to Australian customers, where the service costs AU$119 (US$124 or £78)........................

Note in the UK you also have to add a WALLET BUSTING 20% VAT on top of that too !!!!! Not sure what Aussie equivalent is here -- VAT / Sales tax ?? buit I'm sure they have something on top of the base price to pay too.

I'm sure the next update of Windows is going to include more subscription type software -- or certainly Thresher (W9) will have it.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
"Non corporate " income might be dropping but as a % compared to corporate income or in absolute terms -- without that data the statement is essentially meaningless --sorry !!
I assumed that people would check out the charts for themselves.
I'm not an investor, so I might not have read the info correctly. :)

Note in the UK you also have to add a WALLET BUSTING 20% VAT on top of that too !!!!! Not sure what Aussie equivalent is here -- VAT / Sales tax ?? buit I'm sure they have something on top of the base price to pay too.
We have a 10% Goods & Services Tax (GST). :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
Back