Report: Little demand for Microsoft's Surface RT tablet

Lackluster demand has reportedly prompted Microsoft to slash orders of its Surface RT tablet from 4 million to 2 million units.

According to DigiTimes, the slow start for Redmond's ARM-based tablet could ultimately persuade Microsoft to lower the price of its upcoming Intel x86-powered Surface Pro ($899 for 64GB and 128GB for $999) which is slated to ship in January.

Source

A Guy

I think if people want a dumbed down tablet there are a lot of cheaper alternatives, ipad not being cheaper but what people want because it's good, marketed to death and what people they know have.

To me the RT is dumbed down and not worth my cash. The pro will be too expensive so where are most people going to go?

My Computer

System One

• OS
I stopped by the Microsoft surface Kiosk in our local Mall, they had the older I am guessing the know all's inside and a bunch of young people on outside trying to tell us about the new Surfaces. After looking at them and their prices and hearing how they were saying this new tablet/computer would make all my needs become easy. My first thought was after the Holidays and the Microsoft Surface Kiosk is gone, where does someone get any needed help? and after looking at the many faces of the Surface I just kept thinking the Microsoft RT O.S. that come installed is really not a full Win8 O.S. But this tablet/computer is priced right with many full blown notebook computers. A little farther down inside the Mall Apple has a full sized room that is were they are year round. Everyone working there is out in the open not behind a counter, and all I spoke with knew their Apple products and gave IMHO good correct answers to my questions. I have both Windows computers and Apple computers I am testing Win8 on just one computer right now. I have iPads and Android tablets. For what Microsoft is thinking they can do with their new Surface tablet/computer meaning get the buying public to really start buying them IMHO is a dream that will not come true. My advice to Microsoft is stick with Software stay out of the hardware ball games.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 and Win8
I don't understand the meaning of the "RT"at all. the existing environments are Apple, Android and X86 (split in Linux and Windows). when i consciously buy a new device and do more than browsing, I decide based on what software i already have or want (the same way people bought VHS, and not Betamax).

why would anyone now go with another incompatible (to any of the above) system and buy a surface RT?

Things are different with the surface Pro since that gives me x86 on a tablet and this is a huge benefit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro 64
    CPU
    Core i3 3.3 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB 1600 MHz
    Hard Drives
    SSD Samsung 830 128 GB
It might seem odd they bothered with the RT at all.

Perhaps because they aren't going to be able to get anything decent with PRO on it at near ipad price.

They didn't want to leave that sector wide open.

They will be wary of lowering the price - that would infuriate the oem's even more.

They might not have much choice, if things aren't going too well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
It might seem odd they bothered with the RT at all.

Perhaps because they aren't going to be able to get anything decent with PRO on it at near ipad price.

They didn't want to leave that sector wide open.

They will be wary of lowering the price - that would infuriate the oem's even more.

They might not have much choice, if things aren't going too well.

It was said they wanted to use ARM to force Intel to get their rubbish together in low-power CPUs. Maybe the development cost for MS was cheap and they wanted something in the $600 category. I think a student who normally would buy an iPad, the RT is not bad since it has Office.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro 64
    CPU
    Core i3 3.3 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB 1600 MHz
    Hard Drives
    SSD Samsung 830 128 GB
I have a Gigabyte S1080 tablet that runs Windows 7 and Windows 8 pro, in many respects, it has better specs than the upcoming Suface Pro, yet cost under $600. The later versions of the Gigabyte are even better and still cost under $700, so if manufacturers want to build competitive tablets there doesn't appear to be any impediment. That's what makes me wonder why the Surface Pro is so expensive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
It will have high resolution, not sure what these other tablets have.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I have a Gigabyte S1080 tablet that runs Windows 7 and Windows 8 pro, in many respects, it has better specs than the upcoming Suface Pro, yet cost under $600. The later versions of the Gigabyte are even better and still cost under $700, so if manufacturers want to build competitive tablets there doesn't appear to be any impediment. That's what makes me wonder why the Surface Pro is so expensive.

The only reason I find that the Surface Pro and other Windows 8 tablet PCs cost so bloody much is that OEMs can argue that it's both a PC, a laptop in this case, but yet also a tablet in one package versus two separate devices; and the one package costs just less than the two separate devices in most cases.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

I am right with you I just can't understand where this Surface can compete, against many notebooks that will do it all and at a much better price. Maybe Microsoft's cool T.V. Adds with people jumping around and snapping their Surfaces and keyboards together will pull it off for them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 and Win8

I am right with you I just can't understand where this Surface can compete, against many notebooks that will do it all and at a much better price. Maybe Microsoft's cool T.V. Adds with people jumping around and snapping their Surfaces and keyboards together will pull it off for them.

They did say the Pro will cost relatively to current ultrabooks, but the thing is is that it's coming down to screen size usually, capacity, and a few other things like a keyboard that makes the ultrabook arguable for.

Then again, there is technology in the Surface Pro that isn't on other tablets like a full 1080p display and Wacom stylus. Also, the wifi antennae were specifically designed for Surface and apparently picks up better signal than anything out there; as well as the 200 or so specially designed and engineered parts....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Let's just add this,,,,,

Win 8 Pro = Running Full Desktop Software....
Show me an Ipad/Android Tablet with Detachable Keyboard, Additional SDCard Support and USB, that can do the same.
I am not aware of any.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
I think you're absolutely correct, Tepid. One gets more for the price. If one compares the specs, there's pros and cons, but the Surfaces are a better deal buck for buck as long as one is comparing the RT to iPad and the Pro to ultrabooks.

MS could have introduced both these machines at a much lower introductory price if it not for OEMs. It seems they have to walk on egg shells around these people. Apple and Google don't have to contend with them. This is a real B for MS getting into the hardware business. It seems they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I think they got their marketing aims correct. The RT out in time for the holiday shoppers aimed at the younger and students. I feel this thing fits them perfectly with the consumption, entertainment, and homework with the Office programs preinstalled. Far better than an iPad the way I see it. The Pro, of course, is aimed at the heavier user.

What's next for MS? You can bet your sweet bippie that it'll be more machines, as rumors are out. I foresee a smart phone as well. This is what Microsoft reimagined is all about. They're in it for the long haul. A gamble indeed, but one I think will pay off greatly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Let's just add this,,,,,

Show me an Ipad/Android Tablet with Detachable Keyboard, Additional SDCard Support and USB, that can do the same.
I am not aware of any.
windows 8 pro surface isn't out for another month and a half so i'm not aware of any either until then.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64x /Windows 8 Professional 64x
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    Q6600 @ 2.6GHz
    Motherboard
    EVGA NF780i CK-132-A
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800Mhz 5-5-5-18 T2
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 560 GTX SSC 1GB
    Sound Card
    Logitech G35 7.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell S2409W
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    1TB Sata II Samsung
    750GB Sata II Samsung
    250GB Sata II Hitachi
    PSU
    Xigmatek 750W 80% eff.
    Case
    Antec 900 v1
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9700 Nvidia Tritium Edition
    Keyboard
    Logitech generic
    Mouse
    Razer Lachesis Banshee v2 blue
    Internet Speed
    152MB Virgin Media Fibre
windows 8 RT is a waste of money because you cannot add anything to it, and there are so many other tablets out there cheaper that can do the same thing or better. Android and Apple still have the corner on apps that Microsoft has and many of the apps freeze as the reviews I have read on my upgraded Windows 8 computers.
Now Windows 8 pro is another thing, it gives you the ability to do a heck of a lot more especially by adding office apps but then again the price is also high. I wish Microsoft would lower the price a bit. I hear that Surface with RT (windows 8 pro has not come out yet) is doing very bad in sales.
Wonder how the pro Surface will do- time will tell
robin

My Computer

System One

• OS
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Optiplex 390, 380, 3 Vostro Laptops (7 computers in all)
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
windows 8 RT is a waste of money because you cannot add anything to it, and there are so many other tablets out there cheaper that can do the same thing or better. Android and Apple still have the corner on apps that Microsoft has and many of the apps freeze as the reviews I have read on my upgraded Windows 8 computers.
Now Windows 8 pro is another thing, it gives you the ability to do a heck of a lot more especially by adding office apps but then again the price is also high. I wish Microsoft would lower the price a bit. I hear that Surface with RT (windows 8 pro has not come out yet) is doing very bad in sales.
Wonder how the pro Surface will do- time will tell
robin

Again, not entirely useless for RT, you get Office 2013 with it (Word, Excel, Power Point, OneNote) it comes with the device pre-installed, and when it is gold released will download the full version for free, and is not an App Add-on.

As for Freezing issues, my wifes Asus RT is running pretty damn good (no freezing) and as I show here more and more of the uses, she is liking it more as a replacement for her Nook Color. So, it is very much a good alternative to Ipad and android. Both of which I won't buy for various reasons.

Let me stress,, a good alternative for her, for myself, it will be 8Pro Tablet of some kind.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Let's just add this,,,,,

I am not aware of any.

The vast majority of folks who need "full desktop software" are gonna buy a laptop, and not a toy, which many many folk still view a pad as.

Sure, some will buy, but most will not. And all the spin in the world won't change that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
uh yes it will, that is an extremely narrow view.

Oh wait, we live on earth, I keep forgetting who the US President is.

Your right, I concede.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
I have a tablet running full desktop software already, as I needed something portable to do that and other things that a laptop could not do (or not without significant issues). Try doing this with a laptop (full off-road navigation):

tablet05.jpg

And then I can use it with Lightroom/Photoshop for photo management, or Office for word processing and for presentations at meetings etc; it is my mobile PC. All of this fits into a small laptop satchel, which previously just held a laptop; but now accommodates the tablet, its keyboard case, charger, mouse, notebooks etc, with room to spare.

That's why I really love my tablet PC and the additional peripheral ports that are severely lacking in Apple, Android and lesser tablets; full USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports, SD port, ethernet port, VGA port and SIM card port just make it so much more versatile. Total weight of tablet alone, 0.825kg, with keyboard cover, 1.3kg. But all of this came at a much lower cost than the Surface Pro current price.

There is a very good argument supporting business/work tablet PCs, it's just a pity that it has taken so long for them to get traction, as they have been over-shadowed by the social networking tablets that Apple and Android have been pushing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Back