Plummeting PC sales expose fiction of Windows 8 numbers

When major PC manufacturers report that first-quarter sales are down or flatlined, one has to wonder: Where are all the supposed Windows 8 licenses going?

Hewlett-Packard posted its quarterly results late last week, and the results paint yet another horrendous picture for the future of Windows. Lenovo posted first-quarter results last week as well, and while the picture from China isn't as dire, it's far from comforting. Windows 8 is in a nosedive, no matter how you look at it, in spite of Microsoft's remonstrations to the contrary.

Read more at: Plummeting PC sales expose fiction of Windows 8 numbers | Microsoft windows - InfoWorld

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd only recently purchased this machine when the Windows 8 CP was released, so I certainly won't be in the market for a new one at present. But when I do replace it, it will be with another top-end, powerful laptop with similar high-end specs. I'd like a new desktop machine too, but can't justify the spend at this time.

I did, however, go out and purchase Windows 8.

And, apart from a few minor things, I like it. I certainly won't be removing it to go back to Win 7 (I have that on my other machine).

So having bought the laptop less 14 months ago, and then having purchased Windows 8 in December (and with a desktop purchase planned in the next six months or so), I'd say I've done my bit to support both Microsoft/Windows 8 and the 'desktop'.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
"When major PC manufacturers report that first-quarter sales are down or flatlined, one has to wonder: Where are all the supposed Windows 8 licenses going?
Hewlett-Packard posted its quarterly results late last week, and the results paint yet another horrendous picture for the future of Windows. Lenovo posted first-quarter results last week as well, and while the picture from China isn't as dire, it's far from comforting. Windows 8 is in a nosedive, no matter how you look at it, in spite of Microsoft's remonstrations to the contrary."...

It's what I have said before - Microsoft uses the numbers of Licenses sold to OEMs as a basis to tell us that those were how many actual "People" have bought Windows 8 - When in fact the systems are all in boxes on shelves, unsold.

Now, Tim Cook has said publicly that 85 Million iPhones have been sold - We know that they were sold to People, not Sprint, Verizon, ATT or Radio Shack!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
This 'death of the desktop' will end up becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy unless people stop deliberately talking desktops down in favour of toys...oops, tablets and phones.

When the 'desktop. dies, so will home/hobby computing as we know it. We'll become a world of computer-illiterate Farce-bookers and Twits using low-powered devices with limited functionality in a walled-off system (we're already well on the way). And I really have no desire to be part of that kind of 'computing'.

To me, the big, powerful desktop or laptop equipped with powerful, functional software that I own the hard-copies of, and capable of 100% functionality without the need to be connected to the 'net, IS computing, I have no interest in a world of mobile content consumption or social networking. Take my desktop/laptop away, and you've taken away everything I love about computing. I may as well throw it away and go buy a book (and I probably will).

Wenda.

Wenda, I completely agree with everything you said.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Compac Presario SR5518F
    CPU
    Dual Pentium E2180 (2 GHz)
    Motherboard
    MS-7525 (Boston)
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
It's what I have said before - Microsoft uses the numbers of Licenses sold to OEMs as a basis to tell us that those were how many actual "People" have bought Windows 8 - When in fact the systems are all in boxes on shelves, unsold.

Now, Tim Cook has said publicly that 85 Million iPhones have been sold - We know that they were sold to People, not Sprint, Verizon, ATT or Radio Shack!

Who knows how MS count their 'sold' figures. For all any of us know the OEM's only make a payment once the pre-installed version is activated but MS count it as a sale before then. In the old days a sale was when you physically got paid for an item but not any more in the days of creative accountancy. Figure manipulation goes for just about every company operating today whatever field it's operating in. Doubt if my local PC superstore pays for anything until they've retailed it and got the money in the bank. But bet your bottom $ that the manufacturer is counting it as a sale as soon as the box goes on the back of the truck for delivery!!

What would be interesting is to find out (don't know how) just what the MS market share is today. Counting in those tablets I bet it's not over their 90% plus mark.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
This 'death of the desktop' will end up becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy unless people stop deliberately talking desktops down in favour of toys...oops, tablets and phones.

When the 'desktop. dies, so will home/hobby computing as we know it. We'll become a world of computer-illiterate Farce-bookers and Twits using low-powered devices with limited functionality in a walled-off system (we're already well on the way). And I really have no desire to be part of that kind of 'computing'.

To me, the big, powerful desktop or laptop equipped with powerful, functional software that I own the hard-copies of, and capable of 100% functionality without the need to be connected to the 'net, IS computing, I have no interest in a world of mobile content consumption or social networking. Take my desktop/laptop away, and you've taken away everything I love about computing. I may as well throw it away and go buy a book (and I probably will).

Wenda.
This is what I've never understood. Why all of a sudden a tablet PC isn't the same as a laptop hardware wise? There have been tablet PCs I believe now and before that are the SAME as a laptop. Even then, a laptop is NOWHERE in the ballpark on average on par with a desktop, not at all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I absolutely love this notion as well, that Lenovo has shipped such a plethora of Windows 7 machines that they are doing great whereas apparently other OEMs such as Dell that do the same with enterprise geared PCs aren't.

OS market share news

So someone explain how Windows 7's marketshare went up about a percent in the course of three months after Windows 8's release, and then back down?

Let the theories begin!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Part of the problem is Microsoft programmers dictating to customers what they should like in terms of GUI look and feel. If W8 were to look and feel like W7 (all the way through; not just as far as Classic Shell goes) many more PC desktop users would consider upgrading. And if W8 were to be able to look and feel like XP, even more PC destop users - and especially big 'enterprise' users would be interested. I have XP both at home and at work, and whenever I have to work on my kid's PC, which runs W7, I get lost, and am glad to get back to my XP desktop. Trouble is, my employer will be switching to W7 in the summer, and I'm not looking forward to it. And when XP support dies next year, and XP then gets less and less secure, I don't know whether to bite the bullet and go to W7 or to jump ship to Linux. As I say, I've played around with my kid's W7 PC, and I cannot get to like it - I can't even get the taskbar area to look right (but that's for a different forum) - let alone W8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP
    Shuttle SD11G5
    CPU
    Pentium M
    Motherboard
    Shuttle SD11G5
    Memory
    plenty
    Graphics Card(s)
    on-board (Intel 915GM)

Wenda.
This is what I've never understood. Why all of a sudden a tablet PC isn't the same as a laptop hardware wise? Not sudden, they never have been. There have been tablet PCs I believe now and before that are the SAME as a laptop. Nope. Low-end laptop, perhaps. Even then, a laptop is NOWHERE in the ballpark on average on par with a desktop, This one is. not at all.

:)

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.

Wenda.

YEAAAAAAAA!

braveheart-gibson_l.jpg

I've been watching the $ale$men pushing SAAS and cloud computing real hard for the past few years. I'm seeing more and more yearly licensing as well. I'm not liking this change in who holds ownership. Were moving towards a rental, subscription society. Too much dependency.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Pssh. Who buys prebuilts?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Asus 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    OCZ SSD boot drive. Spinny secondary drive.
    Case
    Diablotek
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Toureny edition.
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50 down 10 up
    Browser
    FireFox