9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
Password Length

I've set up two drive mappings on my Windows 8 machine to my NAS machine but they never stay when I reboot.
When I reboot or start my machine, the drive mappings show a red "X" beside them in Explorer, but when I just single click on them they open up as you would expect them to. From that point on, everything is good... until I reboot again.
I should mention that I also always get the yellow pop-up message (bottom left side) that says "Could not reconnect all network drives".

Until I manually click on the drives in Windows Explorer, my favorites won't show up in IE since I have my favorites located on one of the mapped drives (on my NAS). As soone as I click on the drive(s) in Windows Explorer, the favorites immediately show up in IE.
I've set them up using UNC and IP addresses (ie: \\192.168.0.100\sharename
So far, nothing 'sticks' and I can't seem to find an answer on the net.
Many suggestions seem to think the OS is trying to load the mapped drives before the network stuff is loaded. Since I'm booting from a SSD drive (8 seconds to boot up! yes!) then this makes sense.
I've also tried a net use command in the registry run to manually connect the shares each boot, but that gives me the same result.

Anyone have any ideas?

As a matter a fact yes... when you are Prompted by windows to enter the Credentials required to access your NAS and you enter the password windows is only saving part of the PW.. If you go into Windows Credentials Manager and edit the entry for the NAS and put in the Full password WALA! NO MORE ISSUE with windows not being able to logo to all networked drives anymore with the NAS... I Have never heard anyone talk about the Credentials manager.. in fact I did not even know it had one LOL.. but when I looked not only did i find that the password was incomplete... But that every time you make a mistake it adds that to the list.. I found 3 Removed 2 and fixed it.. NO MORE NAS ISSUES when I reboot it finds the Mapped drive NAS FINE! and all is good... I think that maybe there is a Limit to how long windows thinks the password should be when entering it at the Prompt.. but when you go into the credentials manager you can fix it.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 Enterprise
I've set up two drive mappings on my Windows 8 machine to my NAS machine but they never stay when I reboot.
When I reboot or start my machine, the drive mappings show a red "X" beside them in Explorer, but when I just single click on them they open up as you would expect them to. From that point on, everything is good... until I reboot again.
I should mention that I also always get the yellow pop-up message (bottom left side) that says "Could not reconnect all network drives".

Until I manually click on the drives in Windows Explorer, my favorites won't show up in IE since I have my favorites located on one of the mapped drives (on my NAS). As soone as I click on the drive(s) in Windows Explorer, the favorites immediately show up in IE.
I've set them up using UNC and IP addresses (ie: \\192.168.0.100\sharename
So far, nothing 'sticks' and I can't seem to find an answer on the net.
Many suggestions seem to think the OS is trying to load the mapped drives before the network stuff is loaded. Since I'm booting from a SSD drive (8 seconds to boot up! yes!) then this makes sense.
I've also tried a net use command in the registry run to manually connect the shares each boot, but that gives me the same result.

Anyone have any ideas?

As a matter a fact yes... when you are Prompted by windows to enter the Credentials required to access your NAS and you enter the password windows is only saving part of the PW.. If you go into Windows Credentials Manager and edit the entry for the NAS and put in the Full password WALA! NO MORE ISSUE with windows not being able to logo to all networked drives anymore with the NAS... I Have never heard anyone talk about the Credentials manager.. in fact I did not even know it had one LOL.. but when I looked not only did i find that the password was incomplete... But that every time you make a mistake it adds that to the list.. I found 3 Removed 2 and fixed it.. NO MORE NAS ISSUES when I reboot it finds the Mapped drive NAS FINE! and all is good... I think that maybe there is a Limit to how long windows thinks the password should be when entering it at the Prompt.. but when you go into the credentials manager you can fix it.

I've also been dealing with this issue for 7 months. I've tried variations of this solution (glad it worked for you) but it never worked for me, including removing windows credentials and re-adding them from scratch. I've searched this and other forums consistently during this time, with no solution found ever, so my final solution was to revert back to Windows 7. That fixed the problem. Now I always connect to my NAS drives when I boot up. The sledgehammer does work after all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus X202E Laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-3217U 1.80 GHz
    Memory
    4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz