Office 2013 to be the last non subscription version

Think again on corporate. Most companies kept Windows XP until Windows 7. Heck, we are just now going to Windows 7. Companies were on Office 2003 for years and we just now upgraded to Office 2010. Companies use enterprise licenses, so if those went away companies would stick with the old. At least mine would.

that is not entirely true. Microsoft Volume Licensing will probably never go away. Most big companies have Software Assurance through MS. They will upgrade as often as they see a reason to do so, without question. If there is a reason for big corporates to move to 2013, they will do it. It's part of the Software Assurance contract with MS.

Microsoft Volume Licensing - Microsoft Software Assurance

Also be aware that a lot of companies have this available,,, Microsoft Volume Licensing - Microsoft Software Assurance Benefits - Home Use Program

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Think again on corporate. Most companies kept Windows XP until Windows 7. Heck, we are just now going to Windows 7. Companies were on Office 2003 for years and we just now upgraded to Office 2010. Companies use enterprise licenses, so if those went away companies would stick with the old. At least mine would.

that is not entirely true. Microsoft Volume Licensing will probably never go away. Most big companies have Software Assurance through MS. They will upgrade as often as they see a reason to do so, without question. If there is a reason for big corporates to move to 2013, they will do it. It's part of the Software Assurance contract with MS.

Microsoft Volume Licensing - Microsoft Software Assurance

Also be aware that a lot of companies have this available,,, Microsoft Volume Licensing - Microsoft Software Assurance Benefits - Home Use Program

Not my Fortune 500 company. They do not upgrade very often due to cost and compatibility issues with proprietary software.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Question? If I subscribe to Office 365 can I use it on any computer?
Meaning only one subscription...

Only if it is running Windows.
That's cool so £8/month instead of ££££ for 5 computers. I'll save loads!

Your Maths could eventually fail

100 GBP a year (approx.) + VAT in 5 years assuming the subscription doesn't rise (and how many times have you paid for a subscription service where the price remains the same indefinitely) will be OVER 750 GBP. !!! (more with say typical inflation annual increases say around 2 - 3% --although they might sweeten the pill by allowing renewals at a cheaper rate).

We also don't know if the subscription is COMPUTER based in which case you'll have a hassle when changing / upgrading computers or IMO a better option if you really are going to buy a subscription - USER based - like TechNet - so you could use Office 365 anywhere --even in an Internet Café.

Office 2010 works on 3 computers, Office 2007 can still be got for around 25 GBP which also works on 3 computers -- and considering for a HOME user there really isn't anything new in any version of office after 2007 that is of significance to a typical home user other than say Touch or links to social media like facebook or online services like skydrive.

Considering also if you qualify as a student or your work is a member of the "Use at Home" service or has a policy of use your own device where they would have a license to install the Enterprise version on your PC the subscription model is a BAD DEAL.

Trouble is people don't understand LONG TERM -- especially if they are used to the US big business mentality which often can't see further than into the middle of next week.

A small subscription might sound trivially cheap --but measured over a decent time span it becomes expensive.

In my country if you were a typical Smoker who has say smoked for 30 years -- the amount you could have saved had you never started could have paid for a typical property MORTGAGE FREE. (I'm not suggesting you change what you want to do here --just pointing out how what perhaps seems a smallish amount of money can mount up to over a long period).

If it wasn't profitable for companies why would they bother with the subscription model.

Anyway I'm not taking part in this particular gig. Office 2010 indefinitely for me unless I eventually switch to say Linux Mint and Libre Office.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
It's always cheaper to buy a perpetual license. I'll probably buy a copy of 2010 before it disappears just to avoid problems later on with the single activation/locked version but if I had to, I'd buy the single activation before I'd subscribe. I'd prefer just to stick to Microsoft Office, I tried Open Office four years ago and I hated it. But this incarnation of Microsoft Office makes the videogame world of DRM clients and DLC look practically benevolent these days in comparison.

I was going to buy the 2013 office suite (before I found out it was limited to one pc) and tuck it away somewhere safe until I needed it. Now I won't unless I need it and then it's the perpetual licence- this emphasis on subscription based models will not save you money in the long run. That being said, I don't think they will migrate to subscription only between now and the next office suite.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 64-bit/ Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Desktop: Allison Designs by Austin Computers / Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L50-A006
    CPU
    Intel Core i5- 4590/ Intel Core i5 processor 4200U
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte H97M-D3H/ ?
    Memory
    16 GB Kingston at 1600 Mhz/ 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 760 OC Windforce (2 GB/256-bit)/ nVIDIA GeForce GT 740M 2GB
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio'
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 2216Vw 22"/ 15.6" Widescreen HD LED Backlit Display
    Screen Resolution
    1680*1050 / 1366*768
    Hard Drives
    2 TB Western Digital Black Caviar Drive (7200 RPM)/ 750GB (5400rpm) with Toshiba HDD Accelerator
    PSU
    Coolermaster 750W VS Series 80+ Gold Power Supply (Desktop Only)
    Case
    Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Mid Tower Gaming Case (Desktop Only)
    Cooling
    Two Case 120 mm fans and GPU, CPU, PSU cooled by own fans respectively. (Desktop Only)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wired Keyboard Desktop 600 (Desktop Only)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wired Mouse 600/ Toshiba Touchpad and Logitech Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer and Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton 360 by Symantec
It's always cheaper to buy a perpetual license. I'll probably buy a copy of 2010 before it disappears just to avoid problems later on with the single activation/locked version but if I had to, I'd buy the single activation before I'd subscribe. I'd prefer just to stick to Microsoft Office, I tried Open Office four years ago and I hated it. But this incarnation of Microsoft Office makes the videogame world of DRM clients and DLC look practically benevolent these days in comparison.

I was going to buy the 2013 office suite (before I found out it was limited to one pc) and tuck it away somewhere safe until I needed it. Now I won't unless I need it and then it's the perpetual licence- this emphasis on subscription based models will not save you money in the long run. That being said, I don't think they will migrate to subscription only between now and the next office suite.

Hi there
I tend to disagree with some posters who think the subscription is cheaper or good value

I also disagree with the sentiment that Office 2013 will NOT be the last version available on a "perpetual" or non subscription license.-- reasons seem straightforward

Office 365 is available NOW
Office 2013 only available on THE INITIAL COMPUTER it's installed on.
Windows "Blue" rumors.

Cheers
jimbo

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Windows Blue- people are inherently lazy, and as much as I love Windows and Microsoft, unkindly put, it's why it thrives. But if it were to move to a different model such as paid upgrade/expansions and subscription only- it would create an exodus where it was no longer the simple and easy choice. Let me remind you that for the longest time there were rumour the new XBOX 720/whatever its called wasn't going to have a disc drawer- resoundingly quashed. Rumours are just rumours until proved otherwise.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 64-bit/ Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Desktop: Allison Designs by Austin Computers / Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L50-A006
    CPU
    Intel Core i5- 4590/ Intel Core i5 processor 4200U
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte H97M-D3H/ ?
    Memory
    16 GB Kingston at 1600 Mhz/ 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 760 OC Windforce (2 GB/256-bit)/ nVIDIA GeForce GT 740M 2GB
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio'
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 2216Vw 22"/ 15.6" Widescreen HD LED Backlit Display
    Screen Resolution
    1680*1050 / 1366*768
    Hard Drives
    2 TB Western Digital Black Caviar Drive (7200 RPM)/ 750GB (5400rpm) with Toshiba HDD Accelerator
    PSU
    Coolermaster 750W VS Series 80+ Gold Power Supply (Desktop Only)
    Case
    Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Mid Tower Gaming Case (Desktop Only)
    Cooling
    Two Case 120 mm fans and GPU, CPU, PSU cooled by own fans respectively. (Desktop Only)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wired Keyboard Desktop 600 (Desktop Only)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wired Mouse 600/ Toshiba Touchpad and Logitech Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer and Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton 360 by Symantec
I still maintain office 365 is not a bad deal. People often react in an all our nothing way.

If you can use Libre Office and pay nothing, than do it.

If you can run 3 copies or less of office 2010 home and student, than do it.

If you can get a cheap copy of office via "home use program" through your employer, do it.

If you need/want Office 2013, and you need programs outside of the home and student version, and you have multiple computers to run it on, or you change computers regularly than the subscription model could very well be a compelling cost for you. And if you want to stay on the nest version of office down the road, you won't pay for a perpetual licence again.

You gotta look at entire picture. You end up with the 400 per pc office 2013 pro suite, that you can run on 5 pcs for 100 a year. It just depends upon whether you need our want these features.

For my home use,I can use Libre Office, Google docs, or Office web apps for free. And that is what I do. To me, the cost of MS Office is completely unnecessary.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
It is really hard to beat FREE.

So true, unless the free software simply will not work in ones context. Then free actually comes with a cost.

Seems like Libre Office or Google Docs would be a very good choice for non-work environments.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro w/Media Center, Windows RT
I have been playing with libre office 4.0. And for a free office suite it is not bad at all and every file opens in word PowerPoint or Excel with no problems as long as you save it in the right format. It is a good alternative for those who want a free office suite that actually mimics Microsoft office

My Computer

System One

• OS
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Optiplex 390, 380, 3 Vostro Laptops (7 computers in all)
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
I have been playing with libre office 4.0. And for a free office suite it is not bad at all and every file opens in word PowerPoint or Excel with no problems as long as you save it in the right format. It is a good alternative for those who want a free office suite that actually mimics Microsoft office

Hi there
as far as EXCEL is concerned Libre Office equivalent isn't much good once you start using a lot of macros and retrieve data dynamically from the Internet

For example I really can't replicate this relatively simple EXCEL application in Libre Office

Download the "Puts" and "Calls" for say MSFT from the CBOE -- that's the Option prices for "Puts" and "Calls" for the next periods for MSFT (Microsoft) from the Chicago Board of Options Exchange (rather like NASDAQ or NYSE but for Stock Options rather than actual Stocks).

This is quite simple to do in EXCEL -- I've looked at Libre office and really had to give up.

Screenshot enc

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• cboe.png
    cboe.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 169

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
For the average user, LibreOffice does everything that they may require. For those that need to play power games, you know where to send your cheque.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
This is quite simple to do in EXCEL -- I've looked at Libre office and really had to give up.

And that's exactly why I don't use Libre Office . . . so far, it's too different from MS Office and I don't have time to contend with the learning curve.

However, I have Office 2010, so I don't have to worry about it, now, do I? :thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

Hi there
as far as EXCEL is concerned Libre Office equivalent isn't much good once you start using a lot of macros and retrieve data dynamically from the Internet

For example I really can't replicate this relatively simple EXCEL application in Libre Office

Download the "Puts" and "Calls" for say MSFT from the CBOE -- that's the Option prices for "Puts" and "Calls" for the next periods for MSFT (Microsoft) from the Chicago Board of Options Exchange (rather like NASDAQ or NYSE but for Stock Options rather than actual Stocks).

Screenshot enc

Cheers
jimbo

Just wondering Jimbo, are you a stockbroker? There are more threads around here where you use the example of viewing stock quotes in Excel.

Greetz,
Rover

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center Edition
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Made
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 750
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD 7750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Iiyama ProLite B2481HS-B1
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1x 120 GB SSD Samsung 830;
    1x 1.5 TB HDD Seagate;
    1x 2 TB HDD Western Digital;
    1x 3 TB HDD Seagate
    1x 80 GB SSD Vertex 2
    PSU
    Corsair CX 600
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 300R with Side Window
    Cooling
    Intel RTS2011 LC
    Keyboard
    DasKeyboard (blue switches)
    Mouse
    Wacom Baboo Tablet Pen & Touch
    Internet Speed
    50 Mbit FullDuplex Fiberglass
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    I also own the following Microsoft devices:
    * Surface Pro 2 128 GB
    * Windows Phone HTC 8X

Hi there

Screenshot enc

Cheers
jimbo

Just wondering Jimbo, are you a stockbroker? There are more threads around here where you use the example of viewing stock quotes in Excel.

Greetz,
Rover

Hi there

No I'm not an "Official" stockbroker -- but I do "Amateur" or some part time trading as a hobby -- like some people play poker or mess around with the "gee-gees". I look at the Options - particularly "Weekly Options" where if you do it correctly you can make in good weeks around 3 - 4 % A WEEK -- try getting that in a Bank. -- Small amounts of money only that you can afford to lose if necessary and I only trade on the US exchanges where an option contract is a multiple of 100 shares - unlike Europe where you have do deal in multiples of 1000 and the dealing costs (and taxes) are horrendous.

Coming up to retirement I need to look at some other income streams now -- I'm not going to be sitting at home just "Gardening".

I like mathematics and Statistics -- was trained originally as an Engineer so the statistics side of the Stock market ("Technical analysis" ) keeps me interested.

I've still hopefully got an extension or two left in my current job but I'm getting a bit too old now for all the travelling etc so am looking forward for other ways of supplanting my pension when I get it in the not too distant future.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Yes, but if you cannot afford office, than libre is a good alternative for the beginner user who just do simple tasks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Optiplex 390, 380, 3 Vostro Laptops (7 computers in all)
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
Well, free offices are good only for personal use, but when it comes to everything else, there is no choise but microsofts office.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ljkhlj
Yes, but if you cannot afford office, than libre is a good alternative for the beginner user who just do simple tasks

For simple tasks, yes, Libre Office is probably a good choice.

But, and it's a huge but (no pun intended), I do extensive research and report work in Word and Excel which is very, very important to an ongoing lawsuit which involves our subdivision. BTW, my research work is on an unpaid volunteer basis, so I think it would qualify as "personal".

Now, if I were up to speed on Libre Office, I could use it, because my reports are simple Word files and intermediate Excel files. However, the learning curve is such that I just don't have time to learn LibreOffice. Besides, as I said, I have enough copies of Office 2010 that I don't have to look elsewhere.

Though, if I only had a choice between Office 2013 and Libre Office, I'd have to go with Libre, simply because of the new restrictive and expensive licensing fees for Office.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
If you've used the versions of Office prior to the introduction of the 'Ribbon', then LibreOffice has the same interface of the previous versions of Office. Just comparing the two side by side, and even after using the new Word style for so many years, LibreOffice is so much simpler in so many ways.

For example, if you want to insert a section break, in LibreOffice you simply click on the 'insert' button and then select 'section' from the dropdown box and set it up. In Office 2010, this is located under 'page layout', but if you want to insert a header/footer, that's not under 'page layout', but under 'insert'.

And there are many other such oddities, at least to me, in how functions and settings are arranged. This was another one of those menu changes where a lot of people wanted a choice of old style over new, but were not given a choice. Even after so many years, I know that people can take much longer to do things, because the Ribbon menu is not quite as intuitive as was perhaps the more visually bland menu of yesteryear.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Too many years have passed between having used Office 2003 and today. So, although Libre Office may well be a lot like Office 2003, I am accustomed to Office 2010 and how things work there; thus, I literally don't have the time nor the inclination to learn Libre Office. BTW, I have tried both Open Office and Libre Office several times.

Why should I when things are working well for me now, and I can get my work done without problems. And, I'm well past the point of having to hunt for things on the ribbon. And if I need to know how to do something new works, I have Microsoft Office Professional 2010 Step by Step I can look things up in, or I can use Professor Teaches Microsoft Office 2010.

As my grandson says, "No thanks, I'm good."

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory