Not enjoying the format of windows 8

Well, i like Metro, in fact Windows8 should remove (or give a choice to the user to do so) the old (very old) start screen. It's like living in the 20th century.

But unfortunately whenever i am on the NEW startscreen, opening no mather what i always get redirected to the 20th century start screen (same for all of us).

So in fact all the fuss about this is created by MS itself.

Now instead of asking to remove the Metro i am asking to remove the what......the almost 30 year old start screen.

Jeff

Sometimes, we have to accept things as they are because we cannot change them.

In another post Mystere gave a clear & simple explanation for the 2 screens. Msg #2 Here's what I think would fix Windows 8:

All these ideas people express about how to make Windows 8 better are all based on a single misunderstanding.

Metro is *NOT* Win32. It's not just a new UI. It's an entirely different operating system that runs side-by-side the old Win32 operating system. You can't just make Win32 and Metro work together in the same application (the desktop). This is the reason that Metro is full screen, because the only way to "share" the two OS's is to have one of them control the monitor. In the case of Windows 8, Metro (it's real name is WinRT for Windows RunTime) owns the monitor it is currently on. If you see a desktop on that monitor, it's actually a metro application that views the desktop, sort of like Remote Desktop. This is why you can "close" the desktop window by using alt-f4, or moving the mouse cursor to the top and dragging it to the bottom. (if you have multiple displays, you will notice that you can't do that with the other monitors)

Metro apps are physically separate from Win32/Desktop apps. They are different OS's and they cannot really work together very well, other than some really terrible hacks (such as how IE is able to display in Metro mode).

Keeping this simple concept in mind, you will find you have a greater understanding of why Windows 8 works the way it does.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
Technically Windows 8 is designed for touchscreens and Metro abstracts the APIs so that Windows 9 can be based on something other than NT.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus Tansformer Book Flip TP500LN
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000
Still a year later and I dont care for this look. Never used the apps. I hate not having the start menu. I have adapted since the start of windows and will have to just keep adapting to this new style. Thanks for everything to all u techs and engineers u guys really do help despite all our complaining...lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    toshiba
No need to adapt:

Windows 8 can be a bit difficult to use compared to Windows 7. It can be tamed though.

Start Button:
If you install Classic Shell (free) or Stardock's Start8 ($4.99) or similar software then you can have the Start button as it was in Windows 7 and boot directly to the Desktop. You can still play with Metro stuff but it's not forced on you.

Windows 7 Gadgets:
Windows 7 Gadgets are also available if you want them: 8GadgetPack - Gadgets for Windows 8

UAC:
I find UAC extremely annoying. If you do too then to (mostly) disable UAC, Press Windows key + R to open the Run window.
Type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Tools tab.
Select Change UAC settings and click Launch.
Move the slider all the way to the bottom then click OK.
Some parts of UAC will still be alive, so to completely disable it you need to change a registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Key: EnableLUA
Set the value to 0

You cannot use any Metro Apps or the App Store when UAC is disabled. If you've gone this far, you can also disable all hot corners so you will not get any of the Windows Charms popups. Just check the Classic Shell and Start8 options to do this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
hello guys,

need i say again that i like Win 8.1.....

if only METRO could take over the outdated startscreen.....

Yeah... i know, let it come

Jeff

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    KINGSTON 2400 MHZ KHX24C11K4 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 SAMSUNG 840 PRO RAID 0 ON BOARD 2 x 128 GB
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
Wow, some love it some hate it, sounds Democratic to me though. I tired Windows 8 Pro, but abandoned it after fighting some of the little things that really seem to steal my privacy. I have a very large collection of MP3 files, and I was not amused when my Media Player would not allow me to rip to a different location other than default. I do not want my music on the sky drive or any other for that matter. I do have many different social accounts but don't like the idea of being live all the time. What ever happened to silence is golden? I did not do a clean install and that was a mistake (hot-mail.com), none of my Apps worked except Desktop, create a local user but then lost all other connections, no more syncing. Created another account (outlook.com) which seemed to work but then the lack of administrative powers, the machine just would not allow me to make adjustments to the most fundamental things although I am Administrator and also in the group thereof. Come on Microsoft and fix the stupid thing before everybody else runs off the Unix and or Linux. I mean come on, give me a break as I am not in a Domain (Workgroup) and get Domain GPO errors.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Build
    CPU
    Phenom III X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    GigaByte