Nope! Decided 8.1 not worth risk

According to a post I saw, Microsoft support for Win 8 (not 8.1) ends in January. It will be just like XP.

As I was saying that running Windows 8 after January will be just like XP, but I'll live with it. Nothing bad has happened on my work computer running XP.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP xw8600 Workstation
    CPU
    Two Intel Xeon Core2 Quad 3.2 GHz Processors
    Motherboard
    Proprietary
    Memory
    16 GB DDR2 800 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia Quadro FX 3800 PCI-E
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 213T 21" 4x3 Flat Screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    Two Seagate Cheetah 300 GB SAS Disks
    PSU
    Proprietary
    Case
    HP xw8600 Workstation Case
    Cooling
    Two CPU Fans and a Larger Case Fan
    Keyboard
    PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    7 mbps
    Browser
    Firefox ESR 102
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Two LSI 3000 SAS Adapters
According to a post I saw, Microsoft support for Win 8 (not 8.1) ends in January. It will be just like XP.

As I was saying that running Windows 8 after January will be just like XP, but I'll live with it. Nothing bad has happened on my work computer running XP.
-------------------
What version of Windows are you running 8.1 on your own home computer ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 (plain '8')
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo
    Browser
    CHROME & /OR AOL
    Antivirus
    McAfee ISS
    Other Info
    SuperAntiSpyWare/MalewareBytes
I am running Windows 8 Core x64 (my specs show up under my signature). I just came over from Vista x64 Ultimate. I cannot run Windows 8.1 because of slight differences in my processor (I have two Intel P-4 style Xeons)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP xw8600 Workstation
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Proprietary
    Memory
    16 GB DDR2 800 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Proprietary
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    7 mbps
    Browser
    Firefox ESR 102
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
I am running Windows 8 Core x64 (my specs show up under my signature). I just came over from Vista x64 Ultimate. I cannot run Windows 8.1 because of slight differences in my processor (I have two Intel P-4 style Xeons)
------------------
thanks - no sure what 'core x64 means but i'll do the update (8.1) after all - and hope for the best ...i only have one computer so if i'd run into problems because i don't have the latest (8.1) i'll be w/o a computer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 (plain '8')
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo
    Browser
    CHROME & /OR AOL
    Antivirus
    McAfee ISS
    Other Info
Core is like Standard or Home Edition. I like Windows 8.1, but it's a no go on the HP xw8200. I have tried it though in its 32-bit form on a virtual machine. I think you'll like it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP xw8600 Workstation
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Proprietary
    Memory
    16 GB DDR2 800 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Proprietary
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    7 mbps
    Browser
    Firefox ESR 102
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Core is like Standard or Home Edition. I like Windows 8.1, but it's a no go on the HP xw8200. I have tried it though in its 32-bit form on a virtual machine. I think you'll like it.
-----------------
thanks - not worrying about 'not' liking it - lol - just worried that the download/install works w/o any glitches - will do tons of pre-download gymnastics i.e. full av scan/ optimize/ get latest windows updates if available/turn off AV/Firewall (third-party) ... and then let 'er' rip - ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 (plain '8')
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo
    Browser
    CHROME & /OR AOL
    Antivirus
    McAfee ISS
    Other Info
Quickly browsed through this post, and just curious to if you listened to the advice of making an image of your system? Have you done that with macrium yet?

and you absolutely should make the Recovery CD/USB.. There are millions of videos of people making it if you need.. and all of us can even show you how via pictures or youtube if you need.

Once you make the "image" ( In your case, I'd make two images to really soothe yourself), you can do whatever you want with your system and try things you would never try before.. then you will really learn.. and maybe even have fun and enjoy trying windows 10 haha..

because with the image and Recovery CD/USB, you can always go back to Windows 8.0 that you have right now..

Once you upgrade to Windows 8.1, which you really should do the Clean install windows 8.1, not the uprgrade, but maybe that will seem overwhelming right now, but truly it's not.. It's very simple especially if you have DVD/CD drive on your Lenovo..

By the way, what is your exact Lenovo Computer model?

I have a Lenovo Laptop and it did come with Onekey Recovery backup, however what they don't tell you, is that if you change anything in the partition structure (if you don't know what that is, you will only destroy it if you install Windows using a "reformat" method,) then by changing any of the partition structure that One-Key Lenovo Recovery doesn't work anymore.. there is a very difficult way to fix it but you definitely don't want to go through that..

overwhelmed yet?

here is a simple video of an image backup on macrium - free of charge..

Creating an image in win10 is the same as win8.

[video=youtube;pCUNEwU41MU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCUNEwU41MU[/video]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Quickly browsed through this post, and just curious to if you listened to the advice of making an image of your system? Have you done that with macrium yet and you absolutely should make the Recovery CD/USB.. I DO have a USB i made as instructed when i got the PC There are millions of videos of people making it if you need.. and all of us can even show you how via pictures or youtube if you need.
Once you make the "image" ( In your case, I'd make two images to really soothe yourself), you can do whatever you want with your system and try things you would never try before.. then you will really learn.. and maybe even have fun and enjoy trying windows 10 haha..
because with the image and Recovery CD/USB, i also have a 'recovery cd you can always go back to Windows 8.0 that you have right now..ok
Once you upgrade to Windows 8.1, which you really should do the Clean install windows 8.1, not the uprgrade, but maybe that will seem overwhelming right now, but truly it's not.. It's very simple especially if you have DVD/CD drive on your Lenovo.. weellllll yeah, the 'clean-install' does seem overwhelming i'll just tackle the update via The Store ; as i said i'll do lots of 'prep' to computer i.e. install any available win. updates/run 'full' A.V. scan/maleware scans//clean-disc/optimize/turn-off third party A.V. & firewall...clear cache/history/make sure recycle bin is empty/ and right before download will 'restart' computer... wheww...even ran a microsoft program that checked my computer & devices...all ok...
By the way, what is your exact Lenovo Computer model? does ''idea pad'' sound right ? it has a tower ..it's not an 'all in one'' and not a laptop.
I have a Lenovo Laptop and it did come with Onekey Recovery backup, however what they don't tell you, is that if you change anything in the partition structure (if you don't know what that is, haven't a clue ! you will only destroy it if you install Windows using a "reformat" method,) then by changing any of the partition structure that One-Key Lenovo Recovery doesn't work anymore.. there is a very difficult way to fix it but you definitely don't want to go through that..
overwhelmed yet? such a silly question - LOL well thanks for 'trying' - right now my head is spinning LOL ... PS: i have 856 GB open on my hard drive - is that enough for the 8.1 update ? thanks again for the below also ! edythe

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 (plain '8')
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo
    Browser
    CHROME & /OR AOL
    Antivirus
    McAfee ISS