No Sound- The device is being used by another application

Well, so much for that. It was all working fine, then I plugged in headphones, now I have no sound again. I am SOOOO frustrated. I will finish uninstalling all the last Windows Updates, I am still convinced that is the problem.

My user also said she used the headphones on her PC last week when it broke after the updates were installed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
ASUS laptop. Sound broken after forced update. Same error. Just commenting in hopes someone somewhere is working on a fix.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Same here, Vaio Windows 8 after Updating.. i tried once to restart it and the sound is working.. but now the sound start to losing again and restarting doesnt solve the problem... hopes someone found the solution

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Signed up to say, SAME HERE. Day before yesterday, temporary sound ever since.

So..what are we just waiting for windows to fix it now?

UPDATE : I Just upgraded to windows 8.1 to see if it had an effect...... just like my first post, it's a cross windows 8 problem that started with the latest critical update. It literally forced my computer to shut off, even though I have auto updates turned off.

I had downloaded an antivirus and nothing came up, i have an ASUS and it's not HP.

So I would say perhaps it's a "GLITCH" that microsoft is using to get people to upgrade to win 8.1, and I know that sound ridiculous, but I wouldn't put it passed the developers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I have a found a rather strange solution to this problem. The issue is that an application is seizing exclusive control over the speakers, muting all other sound.

Obviously this is a temporary solution and we should all try to find an actual fix, but for now this seems to keep them working.

Thanks Forsaken Moose! I was having a big issue with this for a few days now! This temp solution worked for me :) Much appreciated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I have the same problem with windows 8 and ASUS laptop! I only get my sound working by restarting computer and starting to use my sound device before leaving the computer idle for too long... :cry:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
*SOLUTION*

Hey everyone,i just had the same issue after the last critical update.
WHat i did is a recovery to 10.7.14 last critical update.when everything was good,and here it is after recovery everything is good and the sound working again :))

I also disabled those automatic updates for now.

Hope this may help you as well.
Samsung NP370R5E laptop here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Did you mean June 10, 2014 or July 10, 2014 for your recovery? I'm asking because I have had the problem since mid-June and don't have any of the July updates installed. If it was July, this will not work for me and others who have had the problem since June. Hopefully it continues to work for you.

I've also seen that people with Realtek audio drivers have installed the latest driver, and it apparently fixed the problem for them. I have the current IDT audio driver, so I'm still looking for a solution.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP ENVY 4-1215dx
    CPU
    i5-3337U
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky Internet Security 2013
Did you mean June 10, 2014 or July 10, 2014 for your recovery? I'm asking because I have had the problem since mid-June and don't have any of the July updates installed. If it was July, this will not work for me and others who have had the problem since June. Hopefully it continues to work for you.

I've also seen that people with Realtek audio drivers have installed the latest driver, and it apparently fixed the problem for them. I have the current IDT audio driver, so I'm still looking for a solution.
I meant July.
Because i had the problem right after the 13.7 update...
So if it's June at your pc than it's something else maybe....don't know.

For those who have it from last update i think this helps.it works for me so far,more than 24h already of normal work.
The latest driver didn't work for me when i tried.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
same here acer aspire laptop.did a refresh to see if it solves this and now there is no previos restore point.gutted

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    acer
Wanted to say I have 8.1 on Acer and don't have the problem. Realtek HD audio.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
I sucked it up and updated to 8.1. Took a couple of hours. PIA.

Problem solved for now.

Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
I sucked it up and updated to 8.1. Took a couple of hours. PIA.

Problem solved for now.

I believe Microsoft has said people need to upgrade soon or future updates will not be available. You're ahead of the game now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
No Sound

:dinesh:Hi ... was happy to read I was not alone on sound problem. Came back from vacation, turned on Laptop and everything worked great. While shutting down July 13, Windows was performing a "Critical Update". On Monday I had no sound whatsoever. I tried everything and nothing worked. Tonight I did a "System Restore" and chose the update of July 13 - the most recent one which was labelled "Critical". It worked and my sound is back. Nothing else was affected by the restore. The restore took about 10 minutes and rebooted on it's own. I tested it with a video and it was so nice to hear the music again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Google
I also have my sound gone, after the so called Win8. Its like sharing the pain, I wish that fix my sound :)
Just one of the reasons 8 was replaced by 8.1 in such short time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
SIMPLE SOLUTION EVERYONE!

I’m not a computer expert in terminology or skill but found the solution for my computer. People are talking about getting 8.1, but unless you’re getting it for free (unlikely), no need to upgrade. Perform a system restore on your computer dating before the last update. I restored from 6/27.

After the restore only half my volume worked (the left side). Left click the “speakers” icon on my bottom right à Left click the “speakers” icon located above the volume...the only symbol that looks like a speaker above the volume... à Once you get to speaker properties select “levels” (from the menu options) à The first should be your Audio output. To the right, you will see “Balance” à Select balance à It will show the “l” left side and “r” right side volume balance à Adjust and your speakers are balanced.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
The HP Community forum has a possible fix for this problem. It is to uninstall Microsoft update KB2962407 that came out in June, which is when I started to have the problem. There is a fix in KB2962407 that states it fixes "Shortened battery life when an idle audio device is not turned off on a computer running Windows". This update applies to Windows 8 and 8.1. The problem is sporadic for me, so it is too soon to tell if it is the solution. For another person who uninstalled the update, he has not had the problem reoccur, and I believe it was a daily problem for him.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 4-1215dx
    CPU
    i5-3337U
    Memory
    4GB