Next-generation lithium cells will double phone's battery

The lithium ion batteries in your mobile devices are inherently limited by the "ion" part of their name; they can safely use lithium only in the part of the cell that supplies ions, wasting a lot of potential energy. It's good news, then, that researchers at Stanford have developed a new lithium battery that could last for much, much longer. The technique allows for denser, more efficient lithium in the battery's anode (which discharges electrons) by using a nanoscopic carbon shield that keeps the unstable chemical in check -- uncontrolled, it can quickly shorten the device's lifespan.

Read more at: Next-generation lithium cells will double your phone's battery life

Last edited by a moderator:
Need vs Want

Very few people want a car that will only go about 120 KM before it needs re-charging -- the whole point of a car is that YOU use it whenever you want to and you might want to do a 400 KM journey.
There is a gap between what people actually need and what they think they need (probably hyped by the oil companies).

Since most car owners live in urban areas, very few people need a car that can travel further than 120 km/day (based on most studies I've seen).
As long as the batteries can recharge whilst you're at work (or asleep at home) there is no real range problem with an electric car.

Still given the propensity of Lithium batteries to burst into flames, these higher energy density versions could be a real menace.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/2...rtphone-burns-under-her-pillow-as-she-sleeps/

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Very few people want a car that will only go about 120 KM before it needs re-charging -- the whole point of a car is that YOU use it whenever you want to and you might want to do a 400 KM journey.
There is a gap between what people actually need and what they think they need (probably hyped by the oil companies).

Since most car owners live in urban areas, very few people need a car that can travel further than 120 km/day (based on most studies I've seen).
As long as the batteries can recharge whilst you're at work (or asleep at home) there is no real range problem with an electric car.
That's another thing it's been worked on, fast charging, capacitor are best at that, no chemical changes to store potential. Few years ago there were experiments in charging buses wireless at bus stops. N.Tesla was working on that most of his life. Wireless transmission of electrical energy, that is. His largest experiment was just for that until it burned down and he run out of funds.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

Still given the propensity of Lithium batteries to burst into flames, these higher energy density versions could be a real menace.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/2...rtphone-burns-under-her-pillow-as-she-sleeps/

Hi there

In Urban areas that's what buses, trains, taxis, bikes, motor bikes and even feet (walking) are for generally. I have a car not because I actually need to use it every day - but it's there when I want it at my convenience. For the convenience I pay huge taxes to the authorities (Road Tax, Tax on gasoline PLUS on top of that VAT too -- tax on a tax --only the French could have thought of that one -- but once in place no govt is going to repeal it -- brings in far too much money).

An electric limited rage car would stop you making an "ad hoc" or spur of the moment decision - to say nothing of an emergency where you needed to drive 300 KM or more especially with no gurantee of being able to re-charge it at the other end.

What I am excited about is the use of LNG (Liquified Natural Gas ) - as distinct from LPG (which is a product created by distillation in Oil refineries when Gasoline is being made) or even better Hydrogen -- the products of that are simply WATER - perfectly clean. LNG is also comparatively clean. Both these technologies will probably kill off the Electric car - manufacturing the batteries is a polluting process and the drain on the electricity supply as people charge up these things will cause old polluting power stations to have their lives extended considerably into the future - that's a real contribution to a "Green Planet" !!.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
LNG. (Methane) is lowest hydro-carbon and easiest to burn but does not produce as many calories than more complex ones. In Toronto all the buses and taxicabs use it. Because of low calories they have to use more of it and because it does not have any lubricating qualities engines are specifically made for it's use. Rotating valves, made of special steel, smaller diameter but longer travel with appropriate heads need to be used too. On the other hand, LPG is mixture of gasses with higher density and are produced at oil refineries anyway so it would be just a waste if not used in some way. Largest amount is used to power refineries themselves
and rest goes to consumers.
Methane can be and is produced by waste recycling like from sewer system but not readily available because they are situated in outside environment. Other way it can and is produced is in tanks producing alcohol (methanol) and is also a byproduct that can be used, cooled and compressed much easier.
US Navy is experimenting in making methane from sea water and carbon from the air and can be used to power same ships that it's made on. Don't think it will ever be able to be shrunk to car or boat size but large plants on seashore could make a lot of it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
In Urban areas that's what buses, trains, taxis, bikes, motor bikes and even feet (walking) are for generally. I have a car not because I actually need to use it every day - but it's there when I want it at my convenience.
Those methods may or may not be practical depending on the city and government.

Taxis are very expensive and I'm certainly not walking 10 km carrying any more than a couple of kg (or a bulky item like a HD TV).
For example to travel from the city centre to my house would probably cost:
  • ~$20 by taxi
  • ~$4 by bus (any type)
  • ~$3 by car (petrol)
  • ~$2 by car (diesel)
  • ~$1.50 by car (electric)

Bus patronage (where I live) clearly indicates that most people won't walk more than a couple of hundred metres to catch a bus, during good weather.
This means that there needs to be a bus route every couple of blocks (which no government or private business is going to fund).

An electric limited rage car would stop you making an "ad hoc" or spur of the moment decision - to say nothing of an emergency where you needed to drive 300 KM or more especially with no gurantee of being able to re-charge it at the other end.
Apart from war zones, where in the world is the nearest hospital more than about 10 km from most suburbs?

If you live in a regional area (or you regularly have to drive large distances) then you will still need a petrol powered car. :)

Where I live I could make:
  • 6 trips to the city centre and back, before recharging
  • 12 trips to the nearest urban shopping complex and back, before recharging
  • 30 trips to the nearest supermarket and back, before recharging

What I am excited about is the use of LNG (Liquified Natural Gas ) - as distinct from LPG (which is a product created by distillation in Oil refineries when Gasoline is being made) or even better Hydrogen -- the products of that are simply WATER - perfectly clean. LNG is also comparatively clean.
We have some LNG powered buses.
Apparently they take a very long time to refuel vs petrol or diesel buses.
Obviously that is faster than recharging a giant battery, but buses could use swappable battery packs.

Unless you combine LNG or Hydrogen with pure Oxygen in a fuel cell, you will still get pollution caused by the other gasses in the atmosphere (e.g. nitrogen compounds).

Both these technologies will probably kill off the Electric car - manufacturing the batteries is a polluting process and the drain on the electricity supply as people charge up these things will cause old polluting power stations to have their lives extended considerably into the future - that's a real contribution to a "Green Planet" !!.
There are numerous ways of generating electricity that don't require combustion.

Electricity is very easy to distribute (shipping LNG or Hydrogen is more problematic and arguably more dangerous).
Obviously Hydrogen could be created locally using solar or other "renewable" power sources.

Improved high strength, low mass materials (think carbon fibre) could significantly improve the performance and efficiency of standard and electric vehicles.

All that is really required is that governments swap the current multi-billion dollar subsidies from the old energy companies to the renewable energy companies.
Our new right wing government:
  • Has just eliminated the "Carbon Tax"
  • Is fighting "tooth and nail" to eliminate all renewable energy
  • Wants to jack up the tax on petrol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Back