Solved New Windows 8 Install - Keyboard delay and freeze up

Im using a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse on win8.1 with no issues at all , maybe you have a bad connection/wifi device ,
ps2 ports are rare on new computers ,and I almost would have thought a 20 year old mouse would have had a serial connection ,but anyway good luck with a new keyboard

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
Im using a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse on win8.1 with no issues at all , maybe you have a bad connection/wifi device ,
ps2 ports are rare on new computers ,and I almost would have thought a 20 year old mouse would have had a serial connection ,but anyway good luck with a new keyboard

All is still working well with the wired components. On closer check I see the keyboard is straight PS/2. It is possible it is a replacement of the original. It is beige, and I haven't used that color for a long time though. I see the mouse is running through a USB to PS/2 adaptor, so it obviously is newer. Also it is black and optical. I know the first one I had was not.

On looking at the keyboards available locally I do see the odd PS/2 still around. The interesting part are the gamer keyboards which are said to be "mechanical", like there is another way? But obviously whatever is in them, price is no object, with a range of $100-200 each!

Yes, this new Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 still has the PS/2 ports. Perhaps it is for the gamers. I see some controversy exists on whether PS/2 or USB is "faster" for gaming. However it has no IDE or FDD ports. I finally had to throw out my FDD, and all the floppy disks. Still had some of the 5.25" version ones kicking around.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
    Memory
    16 GB Viper 3 DDR3-2133
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS Radeon HD 7770
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus PA248Q
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    128 GB 840 Pro Samsung SSD
    2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (Storage Space - Simple)
    PSU
    Antec 550
    Case
    Antec Sonata II
    Cooling
    CoolerMaster TPC 812
    Keyboard
    CM Storm Quickfire XT Brn - wired PS/2
    Mouse
    Roccat Lua - wired USB
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    MS Defender
I have an old POS Dell keyboard, it's been working for 20 years. I have a newer Dell USB keyboard that works great. I always use IR mice, I have an old Microsoft Intellimouse. It even has a service that you can install where you can use the mouse remotely from another workstation. But I use Mobile Mouse on my iPhone for that lately. I have the service installed on all of my PCs and my Macs and it works great.

You'd be surprised how quickly USB ports can get fouled up, thats why I always use a Hub, cos it is much sturdier and can handle constant plugging in and unplugging. I only have 2 ports out of 6 working on my Box and Motherboard. The ones that are flakey, I have to jiggle around.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
If you have Bluetooth on your MB, you should try a Bluetooth KB and Mouse. I've seen some of those for less than 50 bucks for a combo, If you install a BT card, there is no other connection.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
As an update, there has not been a hint of a delay or freeze of the keyboard since I went to a wired PS/2 connection. While this has all appearance of solving my problem, it still does not definitively identify the root cause of the problem. Assuming the PS/2 is the solution, then the problem could actually be the USB on my computer or the software associated with it, or it could be the wireless keyboard itself. Once I'm certain the PS/2 is bulletproof, then I will use the keyboard in wired USB mode. If that works, all that is left is the wireless keyboard.

In any case I was convinced yesterday a wired keyboard was the quick fix, regardless of the root cause. I made the mistake of doing some research on the expensive "mechanical keyboards". The more I looked at them, the more they sounded like what I really wanted, except for the price. This old Fujitsu keyboard feels like you are typing on a plate of mush, and I knew there had to be better. In any case I found out that the secret to a good keyboard are the way the keys are made, and that Cherry MX keys are the best to be had. And further for my preferences as a touch typist not wanting loud keys, that the Brown version would suit me the best. Then just as it happened when I was looking for keyboards at an on line store that has a nearby outlet, they were advertising a one day special on a mechanical CM Storm QuickFire XT keyboard for $55 after instant discounts and a coupon. That looked a lot better than the $100-200+ prices I was seeing for other keyboards. It is a stripped down version with no cup holders, and no lighted keys, that gamers like. And it had the Cherry MX Brown keys! Couldn't resist and bought one.

I have to say it is the best keyboard I have ever used. If you don't want to get hooked, I would suggest never typing on one of these, or not even reading about them!

On the PS/2 interface thing, it is clear that this is what gamers prefer. Whether it makes a real world difference is debateable, but technically it is better than USB. The key difference is that PS/2 can handle multiple keystrokes at the same time, and USB can't. I guess gamers want/need? that. I suspect that is why any motherboard that may be of interest to a gamer still has PS/2. As long as there is a demand from gamers, I suspect the PS/2 is not going away any time soon.

The relevant part with respect to my problem is that PS/2 takes a different route, both hardware and software wise through the computer. See that last link for a block diagram. This certainly leaves the possibility that I just bypassed my root cause problem, rather than solve it. Since this keyboard uses a PS/2 adaptor, I can still plug into a USB port, and I should do that to satisfy my curiosity at some point, to see where the real root cause is.

In any case I'm back typing without delay or freezing, and have a new and great keyboard. No more wireless keyboards for me. I'm tired of having issues and constantly replacing batteries. When I went to my computer parts boneyard in the basement, I found no less than three wireless keyboards. I wish I had bought a real keyboard like this latest one a long time ago. I suspect there are many touch typists out there pounding away on mushy keyboards that don't even know this quality of a keyboard even exists. I was one for sure...

Thanks for all the help on this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
    Memory
    16 GB Viper 3 DDR3-2133
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS Radeon HD 7770
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus PA248Q
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec 550
    Case
    Antec Sonata II
    Cooling
    CoolerMaster TPC 812
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Roccat Lua - wired USB
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    MS Defender
I suppose I agree, I've always bought MBs that had a PS2 KB port. Mice, I can live with USB, it's never been a problem for me.

Where I have the most difficulty is with systems people bring me that have some kind of USB or IR KB/Mouse combo, sometimes it is difficult to get into the BIOS when using the USB KB's and Mice I have at my house - They have to be detected by the System OS before they will even work. I don't know why that would cause problems getting into the BIOS or hitting F Keys during boot, but sometimes I have to plug in a PS2 KB before I can get the F keys to work. Newer Motherboards don't do this so much, but some of the motherboards from a few years ago have this problem, some of the DELL systems that first had USB-only KBs.

The KB for my Pro Tools system is a USB Avid Keyboard, it's never caused me any grief, and all of my hotkeys are marked.

But actually my favorite KB is my newer Dell KB I use on my Media System, it responds easily, feels good and never freezes up when I am using it.

You may as well mark this as Solved, although we really don't know why the Combo you were using was causing this. I had a Logitech IR combo I used to use, it was a dog, even though it was both PS2 for KB and Mouse. It would constantly disconnect from the receiver, and I would replace the KB and Mouse batteries constantly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Where I have the most difficulty is with systems people bring me that have some kind of USB or IR KB/Mouse combo, sometimes it is difficult to get into the BIOS when using the USB KB's and Mice I have at my house - They have to be detected by the System OS before they will even work. I don't know why that would cause problems getting into the BIOS or hitting F Keys during boot, but sometimes I have to plug in a PS2 KB before I can get the F keys to work. Newer Motherboards don't do this so much, but some of the motherboards from a few years ago have this problem, some of the DELL systems that first had USB-only KBs.

Yes, I have seen this issue in older motherboards/BIOS. This current motherboard works well and you can gain access with either USB or PS/2. The mouse even works to make selections in the EZ Mode of the BIOS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
    Memory
    16 GB Viper 3 DDR3-2133
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS Radeon HD 7770
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus PA248Q
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec 550
    Case
    Antec Sonata II
    Cooling
    CoolerMaster TPC 812
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Roccat Lua - wired USB
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    MS Defender
Yes, newer MBs have a fully browsable BIOS, one of the newest PCs I worked on, even had a Web Browser in it. It was kind of cool actually.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
So, I've been running for nearly 24 hours now with my new wired keyboard hooked up to one of the USB ports that was used for the wireless keyboard connection. Not a hint of a delay or freeze. It is looking like the root cause of the problem is the keyboard itself being defective, or much less likely interference in the wireless communication from other components in the house. I discount the latter because the same keyboard was working fine for at least a year previous and there have been no changes in wireless phones and routers in that time. Also the wireless mouse operating off the same USB transmitter worked fine. Only the keyboard was a problem.

For now at least I will declare the problem solved and the root cause a defective wireless MK320 Logitech keyboard. Thanks again for all the help, and hopefully I will not be back to this thread again with bad news...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
    Memory
    16 GB Viper 3 DDR3-2133
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS Radeon HD 7770
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus PA248Q
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec 550
    Case
    Antec Sonata II
    Cooling
    CoolerMaster TPC 812
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Roccat Lua - wired USB
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    MS Defender
I have a new mk360 and it works great with win 8.1 ,without reading all your post ,did you make sure you have good batteries in the keyboard and mouse

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
Sometimes they just start disconnecting from the receiver while in whatever mode they use for "sleep", that's what the Logitech Combo I had did.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
I have a new mk360 and it works great with win 8.1 ,without reading all your post ,did you make sure you have good batteries in the keyboard and mouse

Batteries were good. I has to be something in the keyboard itself, or the way it communicates. The good news is that my new computer software and hardware build don't seem to be at fault.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
    Memory
    16 GB Viper 3 DDR3-2133
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS Radeon HD 7770
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus PA248Q
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec 550
    Case
    Antec Sonata II
    Cooling
    CoolerMaster TPC 812
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Roccat Lua - wired USB
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    MS Defender
Well, only in relation to the KB/M Combo.

Keep the old Combo and try it on another system, it may be just the way the hardware settings fell when it was detected, maybe it interferes with something at random.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Back