New Windows 8.1 requirements strand some users on 8

New Windows 8.1 requirements strand some users on Windows 8

Windows 8.1 fixes many of Windows 8’s most glaring flaws, but not everyone is able to bask in the bountiful new features. Owners of some older PCs have found themselves stranded on Windows 8, trapped by a subtle tweak in Windows 8.1’s hardware requirements. And beyond the irritation factor, the issue could have troubling support implications for affected users, as Microsoft has told Windows 8 users they’ll need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 by 2015 to continue receiving critical system updates.

Source

A Guy

I should have said but I was referring to the CPU requirements. I do believe that's what's catching some people out when trying to upgrade to 8.1. Yes drivers are up to the original hardware manufacturers.

Absolutely, Alpha! Absotively posolutely!

I have used 64 bit Windows since the beta testing Vista days. And, I might add, RTM and every time I added a service pack, just worked with my 64 bit system.

Graduate to beta testing Windows 7, on to RTM and service packs . . . same song, second verse . . . No problems with the same system I tested and used Vista on.

OK, create a dual boot 64 bit system with Windows 7 and Windows 8. Same song, second verse once again . . . No problems with Windows 8 working on the same system I tested and ran Vista on . . . 'ceptin' we're both showing our age a tad bit. So, more RAM and bigger hard drives added.

So, when Windows 8.1 was offered, I gladly accepted . . . And along came . . . Along came . . . Along came Jones . . . errrrrr, ummm, Sinofsky and tore mah saddle right offen mah hoss!

In my long years of working with computers, from DOS days to the first versions of Windows to Windows 8, I have NEVER been told that my computer wouldn't handle whatever Microsoft chose to throw at it! And ABSOLUTELY not by an UPDATE!

In fact, through the tests of Vista and Windows 7, we beta testers (probably a lot of BTs in this Windows 8 Forum) picked our oldest, most obsolete systems and installed Windows 7 onto them. I can't remember who installed on the oldest and most obsolete, but I participated with an old "piece of crap" I had laying around and it worked! It worked like crap, was slower than molasses in January, but it worked!

I can understand that from a full version operating system to Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, that a particular system possibly would not support the newest Windows, but NOT MIDSTREAM from Windows 8 to an update to Windows 8.1!

OK, creakily climbing down from soapbox with StarFerret giving me a little support . . .

Y'all get my drift . . .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Some of us are getting fatal errors when trying to install the Win 8.1 upgrade from Win 8.0. I'm sure many are furious and don't have the patience to attempt to install Win 8.1 another time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Win 8 Pro DVD
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP m7-1015dx Laptop
    CPU
    2.3 Ghz - 3.3 Ghz
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    External USB
    Mouse
    Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15 mbps dl / 1 Mbps ul
    Antivirus
    Avast!
Well, this is fantastic. So I do have to upgrade to 8.1. I did it once, and found out later that I can't reset or refresh back to 8.1. I have to reinstall 8.0, and then upgrade again to 8.1 I was planning to just stick with 8.0 this time around, but it seems that isn't an option. I'm assuming the Microsoft will always keep the upgrade to 8.1 in the Windows store until 2023.

I'm also assuming the update to 8.1 in April is just that, an update, not an entirely new system where I'd have to reinstall all my software, is that right?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back