New to Windows 8

Would it just b easier to uninstall Start8 and restore to factory settings knowing that I uninstalled Norton completely and ready to install AVG Anti 2013 and start that fresh to whereas I can always go back to that point total reset to factory settings and able to learn from Step one...
After reading on in yr post I thought I might ask this question might be a good idea...
Maybe you might be able to publish a Win8 for Dummies 2013 Edition..:thumbsup:

Hello and welcome!

First things first, you will see some people hear posting random, potentially troll-like comments that detract from the original topic.

Setting that aside, Windows 8 can be a bit tricky to learn at first, one must need an open mind to learn it. You obviously are willing to learn it, so that's good! :D

The main thing you need to know is how to pin things to the Start Screen yourself. This is simple. When you're on the Desktop, within File Explorer, you can go and right click on Computer, a hard drive, folder, Library, Control Panel subcategory, or a program shortcut; and then hit Pin to Start from the context menu. This will make new tiles appear on Start, which will reduce your need for Start8. You can simply click and drag the tiles around to where ever you please.

Second, while on the Start Screen, you can right click anywhere and hit All apps on the bottom command bar. From there, you can scroll over and right click on pretty much any program or app, and hit Pin to Start or Pin to taskbar from the command bar. This is your basic Start Screen usage.

Next, the new metro apps. This is the trickier part.

When you launch an app, it'll go full screen. You can open another app, then then move the mouse pointer to the top left corner, click and then drag to snap it. To change app settings, move the mouse pointer to the top or bottom right corners, and move towards the middle side of the screen. This opens the Charms bar, which is the primary way to interact with the apps, such as searching (both from your PC to apps to the internet) or sharing (email, social networks, or other apps that share), using other devices (if you're in Reader and want to print off a pdf file, this is used; or switching to a secondary display), as well as settings (app settings, a few system settings and power options). Click on the Settings charm, and you can change app settings right there. Or if you want to search within the app, you can just literally start typing right away. To close the app, move the mouse pointer to the top of the screen, click when you see a little hand, then drag it down. It's pretty fun! :)

You will also need to right click often within the apps. For example, in the News app, you can right click to switch to different news sources or videos. Or in the Music app, you right click to hit play. Or you can just use your keyboard's multimedia controls.

This is mostly the basics of it all, hopefully you can uninstall Start8 soon and Start using Windows 8!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP 2000 Notebook PC
    Graphics Card(s)
    hd graphics 1.30 GHz
It may have been helpful to mention you were using Start8. Up to now, we assumed you were using the default start page.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
I know about that when using Firefox and IE. I was looking for a Free download or a easy method of organizing them without manually doing it. Where would I be importing my fav's to as per your instructions?
In IE 10, to get to favorites, click on File->import/Export.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows8
    HP 2000 Notebook PC
    Graphics Card(s)
    hd graphics 1.30 GHz
Would it just b easier to uninstall Start8 and restore to factory settings knowing that I uninstalled Norton completely and ready to install AVG Anti 2013 and start that fresh to whereas I can always go back to that point total reset to factory settings and able to learn from Step one...
After reading on in yr post I thought I might ask this question might be a good idea...

Hello and welcome!

First things first, you will see some people hear posting random, potentially troll-like comments that detract from the original topic.

Setting that aside, Windows 8 can be a bit tricky to learn at first, one must need an open mind to learn it. You obviously are willing to learn it, so that's good! :D

The main thing you need to know is how to pin things to the Start Screen yourself. This is simple. When you're on the Desktop, within File Explorer, you can go and right click on Computer, a hard drive, folder, Library, Control Panel subcategory, or a program shortcut; and then hit Pin to Start from the context menu. This will make new tiles appear on Start, which will reduce your need for Start8. You can simply click and drag the tiles around to where ever you please.

Second, while on the Start Screen, you can right click anywhere and hit All apps on the bottom command bar. From there, you can scroll over and right click on pretty much any program or app, and hit Pin to Start or Pin to taskbar from the command bar. This is your basic Start Screen usage.

When you launch an app, it'll go full screen. You can open another app, then then move the mouse pointer to the top left corner, click and then drag to snap it. To change app settings, move the mouse pointer to the top or bottom right corners, and move towards the middle side of the screen. This opens the Charms bar, which is the primary way to interact with the apps, such as searching (both from your PC to apps to the internet) or sharing (email, social networks, or other apps that share), using other devices (if you're in Reader and want to print off a pdf file, this is used; or switching to a secondary display), as well as settings (app settings, a few system settings and power options). Click on the Settings charm, and you can change app settings right there. Or if you want to search within the app, you can just literally start typing right away. To close the app, move the mouse pointer to the top of the screen, click when you see a little hand, then drag it down. It's pretty fun! :)

You will also need to right click often within the apps. For example, in the News app, you can right click to switch to different news sources or videos. Or in the Music app, you right click to hit play. Or you can just use your keyboard's multimedia controls.

This is mostly the basics of it all, hopefully you can uninstall Start8 soon and Start using Windows 8!
Yeah, I'd go ahead and uninstall Start8. You probably don't need to install AVG as Windows 8 has Windows Defender, which is like Microsoft Security Essentials built into Windows. I'd choose that over AVG, unless if it's the full internet security suite or such.

I could publish a Windows 8 for dummies manual, huh?! :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I do apologize
That is again why I ask If there a way that I can send Processes that r running are items installed or jpegs that caught my attention and would like to taken a look at. By the way is this the right way to respond to an individuals post?
R should I just use the top left corner of: Reply to thread?
It may have been helpful to mention you were using Start8. Up to now, we assumed you were using the default start page.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows8
    HP 2000 Notebook PC
    Graphics Card(s)
    hd graphics 1.30 GHz
Ok.. Start8 deleted as well as AVG.
So now I am just waiting to see if you want me to reset Win 8 back to factory settings to whereas I have all the desktop the way it was shipped.

Hello and welcome!

Yeah, I'd go ahead and uninstall Start8. You probably don't need to install AVG as Windows 8 has Windows Defender, which is like Microsoft Security Essentials built into Windows. I'd choose that over AVG, unless if it's the full internet security suite or such.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows8
    HP 2000 Notebook PC
    Graphics Card(s)
    hd graphics 1.30 GHz
As every other OS, it takes time to master. In my opinion the interface of Windows 8 is very easy and simple. It favors people who more less just use their PC for simple things, but it does have good advanced features packed in. YouTube is packed full of videos that show hands on tricks, tips, and keeping your PC up to par.

Good luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built
    CPU
    AMD FX-6300
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
    Memory
    2x4(8 GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6870
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G245HQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    2xWD Black 1 TB
    PSU
    Cooler Master G650M
    Case
    Cooler Master n500
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Internet Speed
    60/12(Mb/s)
    Browser
    Chrome
tyvm I will look into that. By the way:party: Happy New Year 2 All
I was just getting ready to turn it in when I noticed that I can not sign into a couple of my Game Sites :sarc: Pogo and gamesville
All info is correct its just keeps going back to the sign in page? Boy if it not one thing its another...
As every other OS, it takes time to master. In my opinion the interface of Windows 8 is very easy and simple. It favors people who more less just use their PC for simple things, but it does have good advanced features packed in. YouTube is packed full of videos that show hands on tricks, tips, and keeping your PC up to par.

Good luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows8
    HP 2000 Notebook PC
    Graphics Card(s)
    hd graphics 1.30 GHz
Doesn't seem to be a windows problem, if they are web browser related. Try resetting your password.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built
    CPU
    AMD FX-6300
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
    Memory
    2x4(8 GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6870
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G245HQ
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    2xWD Black 1 TB
    PSU
    Cooler Master G650M
    Case
    Cooler Master n500
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Internet Speed
    60/12(Mb/s)
    Browser
    Chrome

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
Other then the one commenter (Hater) I would like to thank the OP and those who commented in a very civil and interesting thread. Learned some new along with bringing back into mind some old stuff.

:thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
Tyvm all;) I think I am going to take it to bed right now but will look into that tomorrow
Again Happy New Year to all
God Bless

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows8
    HP 2000 Notebook PC
    Graphics Card(s)
    hd graphics 1.30 GHz
I agree Lee. Someone joined 4 days ago, 16 posts and everyone negative. Makes it hard to communicate about the issue & learning.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
Lady8,

I'm really sorry, but I am having a very difficult time understanding what you're asking for. Your.. umm.. method of writing is difficult to read, and you don't really get to the point. Please use some consideration for those you are asking for help and write as clearly as possible, and avoide "text" speak and other shortcuts.

If we clearly understand what you're saying, we can give you the response you are asking for.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
I know about that when using Firefox and IE. I was looking for a Free download or a easy method of organizing them without manually doing it. Where would I be importing my fav's to as per your instructions?
In IE 10, to get to favorites, click on File->import/Export.

The favorites is imported to the same place as for Windows 7, it is under:

C:\Users\YourUsername\Favorites

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Brewed
    CPU
    I7 4970K OC'ed @4.7 GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI-Z97
    Memory
    16 GB G-Skill Trident X @2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual HP-W2408
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    256 GB M2 sm951, (2) 500GB 850EVO, 5TB, 2 TB Seagate
    PSU
    Antec 850W
    Case
    Antec 1200
    Cooling
    Danger Den H20
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance Mouse MX
    Internet Speed
    35/12mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
Ok.. Start8 deleted as well as AVG.
So now I am just waiting to see if you want me to reset Win 8 back to factory settings to whereas I have all the desktop the way it was shipped.

I wouldn't reset it back to the factory settings UNLESS if there is a genuine performance issue. Why would you need to reset the Desktop back?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I wouldn't reset it back to the factory settings UNLESS if there is a genuine performance issue. Why would you need to reset the Desktop back?

I agree.
If all works fine then resetting stuff is just a waste of time.

I also don't really get the point here, but I can advise you to use the new Task Manager to look at the start-up tab and disable unneeded items if you want a boot performance gain.

Cheers
Hopachi

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Turning Live Tiles off will help resources as well. Just right click an animated tile to turn off. Some unanimated ones may be live as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
Turning Live Tiles off will help resources as well. Just right click an animated tile to turn off. Some unanimated ones may be live as well.

Yes but some apps that we find useful can be left on. For example some tile-notes showing.:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
I am running Windows 8 64-Bit and I understand what u r saying in regards to win 8 vs. win 7 but I guess where I am getting confused is that I was using win 7 with Firefox and now I am using win8 with IE10 and as far as locating and being able to find items that I usually do Is not as easy as it once was.. Bookmarks n such the library which shows where and how my favorites were is totally different.

My Norton just expired and I uninstalled it and I am going to download AVG 2012 antivirus and Spybot which I guess I install on win 8 as I would win 7.. I have CCleaner installed....That is really to sum that later part up is the reason why I wanted to submit an HJT report to whereas U All can help if needed on item installed on a New Laptop were necessary are not which I totally understand regarding the Report.. But is there another way I can have someone look at what is installed b4 I install these items

You haven't been out here for a couple days but I thought I'd reply to one of your posts. Also note this is coming from a relative novice to Win 8.

1. If you're running IE from the Start Screen, try running it from the desktop and see if it looks more familiar and is more to your liking. If it is, there is a way to make that the default in Internet Options.

2. I'd be leery of using CCleaner. Is the version you're running compatible with the Win8 registry?

3. Why load another anti-virus package? Win 8 comes with Defender (formerly known as Security Essentials) and it does a good job.

Just my thoughts, others may disagree.

-jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint and Windows 8 Pro
    Asus G75VW
    CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16G
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17"
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 5400 rpm 1T and Seagate 7200 rpm 500G.
    Internet Speed
    30M down, 5M up
    Other Info
    Oracle Virtual Box
    Ubuntu 64 bit
Back