Need urgent help on windows 8 error code 0xc0000034

Thank you to everyone for your help, I done what you had told me to do and my laptop is fixed and back to normal. I booted from the usb stick then US->Trouble Shoot->Advanced Options-I was able to do a refresh and all my files & photo's were saved also a clean version of Windows 8 was installed, I will stay away from windows 8.1. I cant thank you enough for all your help and information. Thank you again :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba
Thank you to everyone for your help, I done what you had told me to do and my laptop is fixed and back to normal. I booted from the usb stick then US->Trouble Shoot->Advanced Options-I was able to do a refresh and all my files & photo's were saved also a clean version of Windows 8 was installed, I will stay away from windows 8.1. I cant thank you enough for all your help and information. Thank you again :D

Very good, baps! Success is what we love to see!

Remember . . . backup, backup, backup! Put your files and photos on a DVD! Also, Microsoft gives us 5 or 10 GB of space on SkyDrive. If it were me, I'd put them there too; especially the irreplaceable photos.

I have a Toshiba 500 GB external hard drive (it's tiny: 3" X 4.5") and can be used when you need it. I have ALL of my files and photos on this drive, and I mean lots of 'em! and I still have 401 GB of space. The little feller cost me $69.00, so I certainly can't complain about price vs my valuable files.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

Very good, baps! Success is what we love to see!

Remember . . . backup, backup, backup! Put your files and photos on a DVD! Also, Microsoft gives us 5 or 10 GB of space on SkyDrive. If it were me, I'd put them there too; especially the irreplaceable photos.

I have a Toshiba 500 GB external hard drive (it's tiny: 3" X 4.5") and can be used when you need it. I have ALL of my files and photos on this drive, and I mean lots of 'em! and I still have 401 GB of space. The little feller cost me $69.00, so I certainly can't complain about price vs my valuable files.

I got a new Seagate 2 TB hard drive, I'll be putting all my stuff on it, I'm so pleased I didn't loose any of my stuff, 4 years of work & research almost lost. Thank you all again for your help and advice.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba
make sure you set the thread as solved so others can come see your solution.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIN 7 PRO x64, WIN 8.1 PRO x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7 4790K
    Motherboard
    ASUS Maximus VI Extreme
    Memory
    32GB(4x8GB) DDR3 Team Xtreem 2666 @ 2400 CL10 10-12-12-31
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x MSI GTX 780 Twin Frozr OC 3GB
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PB278Q, HP 2311xi, UN46F7100AFXZA
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440p, 2x1080p
    Hard Drives
    256GB 840 PRO SSD
    10TB RAID 0 Array (Movies, Steam)
    6TB RAID 1 Array (Backups, Documents)
    3TB EXT Drive (Secure Backups)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760
    Case
    NZXT White Switch 810
    Cooling
    Block: XSPC Raystorm, RES/Pump: XSPC Bay res W/D5 Vario, RAD: XSPC RX360, 6xNF-F12's
    Keyboard
    Rosewill RK-9000 with MX Blue switches Logitech G15 Rev 2 (gutted for LCD)
    Mouse
    Logitech G400
    Browser
    Chrome
    Other Info
    I also own a Lenovo Y510p, and Yoga 2 Pro
Hello, sorry for the bump, but i'm experiencing the same problem and i'm stuck on that error screen
(Recovery
Your PC needs to be repaired
The Boot Configuration Data File is missing some required information.
File: \BCD
Error code: 0xc0000034).
I have tried the recovery files posted by topgundcp, but this solution didn't work for me. What could i do?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    lenovo s410
Hi topgundcp!
I'd like to use your recovery files, do you know how I can determine which version of windows i have, whether it's 8 or 8.1? I'm helping a friend with their laptop, so I'm not sure which version they had when they started having this error. I believe this error occurred during a windows update and now it's getting to that blue screen saying the pc must be repaired. Thanks so much!

Booting from the recovery disk will not wipe anything in your PC. Since you cannot boot to Windows so booting from the recovery will provide you a way to trouble shoot and fix any errors that prevent a normal boot up.

Just to make sure, you have Windows 8.1 X64 ? if so, use this download that I create for Windows 8.1:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73124583/recovery8.1.rar
instead of what I have in step 1 above.

Once you boot up from the recovery disk, click on:
US->Trouble Shoot->Advanced Options->Command Prompt
Then use the procedure in post #3 above.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Hi,
  1. If you don't have the recovery disk. Please download from my dropbox:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73124583/Recovery.rar
  2. Unzip/Unrar it to a USB Stick
  3. From Boot Menu or Set your BIOS to boot from it and follow the screen to get to the Command Prompt.
  4. Follow the steps from the thread I posted above.

Good Luck !!!

Having the same problem as OP. Tried creating an ISO, but unable because it says the service is unavailable after I enter the product-key.

I tried downloading the file that Topgundcp provided in his dropbox, but it's no longer available.

Can anyone please make an windows 8.0 setup iso file I can use to fix my problem? I've been googling for 3 hours without finding one. It would be very appreciated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.0
My friend just got this. I made a recovery disc and have tried everything. Nothing works. Any ideas? Tried fixmbr..fixboot etc and all bcdboot commands.

I have win 8.1 Pro (doesnt know if he runs 8 or 8.1, but doesnt matter right?)

1. Create a recovery drive from my 8.1.
2. Start with that, change boot order, go to advanced and cmd-tool.
3. Tried the bcdboot c:\windows /s c: /l en-us
(also tried "sw-se" instead of "en-us")
4. This command gave a "success, boot blabla - But when restarting computer the same x34 error keep coming.
5. I went into the cmd-window again
6. Tried this bootrec /fixmbr, /fixboot, /scanos and finally /rebuildbcd.

The rebuildbcd did gave me

Successfully scanned Windows installations. Total identified Windows installations: 1 [1] D:\Windows Add installation to boot list? Yes<Y>/No<N>/All<A>:

7. Nothing worked here. so I tried this command:
bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup
But that did not work either, got some error there to.

8. Tried getting into diskpart and I gave the "recovery drive (100mb) letter Z:
and tried another command (cannot find it now) but did not work.

Frustrating, can I burn a CD from Windows and do something? Automatic repair or so? With the USB nothing worked. Says something is locked or so.
Why is this working for everyone else then me/him, crap..

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
My friend just got this. I made a recovery disc and have tried everything. Nothing works. Any ideas? Tried fixmbr..fixboot etc and all bcdboot commands.

I have win 8.1 Pro (doesnt know if he runs 8 or 8.1, but doesnt matter right?)

1. Create a recovery drive from my 8.1.
2. Start with that, change boot order, go to advanced and cmd-tool.
3. Tried the bcdboot c:\windows /s c: /l en-us
(also tried "sw-se" instead of "en-us")
4. This command gave a "success, boot blabla - But when restarting computer the same x34 error keep coming.
5. I went into the cmd-window again

The rebuildbcd did gave me

Successfully scanned Windows installations. Total identified Windows installations: 1 [1] D:\Windows Add installation to boot list? Yes<Y>/No<N>/All<A>:

7. Nothing worked here. so I tried this command:bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup
But that did not work either, got some error there to.

8. Tried getting into diskpart and I gave the "recovery drive (100mb) letter Z:
and tried another command (cannot find it now) but did not work.

Frustrating, can I burn a CD from Windows and do something? Automatic repair or so? With the USB nothing worked. Says something is locked or so.
Why is this working for everyone else then me/him, crap..

Wow, I just got this same problem today. Nothing seems to fix it. Need urgent help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro x64 fi
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I did solve it! I went into BIOS and from there if you notice you have 2 USB entries, one ending with UEFI. Start with that one and run the command, then restart the computer without the USB. Dont know if any of my other trix did anything. But try maybe

My Computer

System One

• OS
I have only a Win 8 DVD what I used to access the repair/command. The Win 8.1 x64 recovery file in this thread isn't valid anymore.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro x64 fi
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hmm, to bad :/
Maybe I can share the files from my USB on dropbox? But Dont know if you need to make a bootable usb or something first, then add the files to the stick.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Could you please share the files? I need the bcd and then I need to figure out how to put the new boot in without deleting all the files

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Here's the SOLUTION (I had the same error) (FOR SURFACE USERS). All you need to do is create a recovery drive on a thumb drive (USB drive). You can either do this by creating one from another PC (running same bit rate, e.g. 32Bit or 64Bit) or goto here to download the recovery software from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...ervice-and-recovery/downloadablerecoveryimage

If using the Microsoft link, you'll need to sign in with your Microsoft Account. It will then present you with options to download software for your specific Surface (purchased) or any other type of Surface. See this great video for a step by step video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Z2Kof82E0

Either way, you'll need to extract the files to a FAT32 formatted USB drive (you'll need at least 8GB, but I suggest a 16GB to play it safe).

THE TRICK to get the PC to load off the USB drive is to:

1) Shut the PC down completely
2) HOLD down the Volume Down button BEFORE you press the power button
3) TAP the power button
4) When you see the Surface logo, you can let go of the Volume key and the PC will boot to the recovery software

Follow the options on screen and your PC will be reset - see the above video link for further details.

I got all of this but I couldn't work out how to get the PC to recognise the USB drive in it's current blue-screen state. The TRICK is as described above, and it works straight off the bat. GREAT!

Hope this helps? Not sure what the answer is for non-Surface users but believe F8 during startup (or F2 or F12, depending on the machine) will lead to the same results, allowing you to start from a thumb drive.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, RT and WP8
Back