Microsoft's 'Blue' not just for Windows

As we've known for a few months, the Windows client team at Microsoft is working on its first "feature pack" update for Windows 8, supposedly due this summer/fall, which is code-named Blue.

But it turns out Blue isn't a Windows thing only, according to one very accurate tipster of mine who doesn't want to be identified.

Blue also is the way Microsoft is referring to the next substantial platform update for Windows Phone, the Windows Services (like SkyDrive, Hotmail, etc.), and Windows Server, according to my source. In other words, Blue is a wave of product refreshes which are not expected to arrive exactly all on the same day, but which are meant to be released more or less around the same time.

Read more at source:
Microsoft's 'Blue' not just for Windows | Microsoft - CNET News

Bing has been overtaken by Yandex now - check it out - you might like it. yandex.co - yandex Resources and Information. This website is for sale!

Don't they do apps which contain ads - usually free ones?

Aren't there even some ads in the bundled crapps?

I don't know what is going on the store - wasn't the review posted up here recently complaining the music app showed a bunch of ads ?

How are they going to target them - bit of waste beaming tampon ads to Ray 8 - you might think they would send him something he is more likely to be suckered into buying.

There is an ad in the Bing Weather app, which you have to scroll over to see after the hourly forecast. There is one at the VERY end of the Bing News app, and I think one at the end of the Bing Finance app. The Xbox Music app only shows/plays ads when you play a Smart DJ mix and you're past your free six month trial.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
There you go.

Thin end of the wedge.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
bit of waste beaming tampon ads to Ray 8 - you might think they would send him something he is more likely to be suckered into buying.

:roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Sounds like Blue is an infrastructure that's designed to tie all Microsoft devices together in ways in which Windows 8 has failed. Sounds like Blue seeks to make us more dependent on unsecured cloud based systems.

Two good reasons to hate the direction in which Microsoft is going. Microsoft is the new Google.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64 bit
    HP Pavillion G7-2251dx
    CPU
    AMD A-8 4500M
    Memory
    8 Gigabytes DDR3 sdram
    Graphics Card(s)
    Discrete ATI Radeon HD 7640G with 2 Gigs
    Sound Card
    IDT Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    500 gig
    Internet Speed
    3.5 mb/sec
I can tell you that if MS tries to Cloud everything, the older crowd who are capable will move towards linux.
Corporations aren't going to go for that right now, they don't all have full infrastructure for it the cloud everything OS.
Even a private cloud.

I still remember a company trying to run Office from the server, not installed on the desktop, man that was slow and a nightmare.
Really bad idea.

Consumers however, remember, the 20somethings and Teens are very Cloud Centric.
That is what they are being indoctrinated on. If MS clouds everything, that is who they are thinking about, and that is who will buy it.

As for Blue, there is nothing out there yet in regards to what all will be released in it, or if it will be free or not.
It's all speculation right now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
How are they going to target them - bit of waste beaming tampon ads to Ray 8 - you might think they would send him something he is more likely to be suckered into buying.

Based on my Internet habits, I'm not sure what the Microsoft AI would send to me as ads. I think it would be like Kryton from Red Dwarf, a tad confused:

kryton-thumb.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Sounds like Blue is an infrastructure that's designed to tie all Microsoft devices together in ways in which Windows 8 has failed. Sounds like Blue seeks to make us more dependent on unsecured cloud based systems.

Two good reasons to hate the direction in which Microsoft is going. Microsoft is the new Google.

And that's a major concern of mine. I love Windows 8 now that I've customised it to my tastes and work-style. Well, almost, I still miss the eye-candy.
But I'm not particularly impressed with the direction MS seems to be heading, and am in no hurry to join in.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
I can tell you that if MS tries to Cloud everything, the older crowd who are capable will move towards linux.
Corporations aren't going to go for that right now, they don't all have full infrastructure for it the cloud everything OS.
Even a private cloud.

I still remember a company trying to run Office from the server, not installed on the desktop, man that was slow and a nightmare.
Really bad idea.

Consumers however, remember, the 20somethings and Teens are very Cloud Centric.
That is what they are being indoctrinated on. If MS clouds everything, that is who they are thinking about, and that is who will buy it.

As for Blue, there is nothing out there yet in regards to what all will be released in it, or if it will be free or not.
It's all speculation right now.

How are young people cloud centric? Most young people I know are more into USB storage and find cloud storage to be too advanced for them, or even if they know what it is to begin with.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
And all the ones that I know tend to store everything of interest on their iPhones (mainly photos).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Coke, that's not entirely true. Shutterfly or Facebook, twitter, cloud storage such as DropBox, iCloud, Rackspace, Carbonite and others.
Cloud is here to stay and will only get bigger. People are using them, otherwise they wouldn't still exist.

Heck, many cameras come with automatic upload to shutterfly or other cloud location when they connect to internet if you set it up.
My WP7.8 (BTW, Awesome) can auto upload video or pic's to Skydrive.

Cloud services are already integrated into everything, whether enabled or not. They are there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Coke, I don't think that they are doing the blue stuff following your logic.

The main reason is probably financial - they need a more regular cash flow and not the dramatic ups and downs inherent in the current release patterns. They will charge extra for every blue layer - smaller amounts than for a full new version, but on a constant regular basis. That way they get their maintenance financed and we don't have to dish out a big amount each time - but in sum, it will probably be more than in the past.

Hi there
it's called that awful word "Monetisation".

Office 365 is merely the first in this type of service, next XBOX , finally the OS itself -- a basic free version but then to access anything useful you have to PAY - probably what seems a trivial amount at first - then they will gradually ratchet up the price - especially as people become more dependent on it.

Thank goodness the web has expanded in the way it has -- otherwise we'd already be paying subscriptions to access most web sites -- but as a lot of online publications are finding out that model is HUGELY unpopular.

Once Ms go down the pay for this - pay for that by subscription then as the saying goes "I'm outta here". I don't mind buying my copy of OS / Office or anything else - but I'm certainly not signing up to subscription services -- which all add up almost unnoticeably until you suddenly find "Why am I paying nearly 1000 USD a month for all sorts of stuff I perhaps only want to use once in 6 months.

Dreadful business model --might look good for some stupid CEO's but almost universally loathed by consumers.

Time to get out those old Linux manuals again I think !!!!!

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
As I pointed out earlier, if Microsoft is even pondering going that course of action, then the device manufacturers will be looking at alternatives. I think that they are doing that regardless. Balmer has already sent a message to manufacturers that says Microsoft doesn't need them, has blamed them for lack of devices and poor sales of Window 8. It'll be interesting how that pans out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Yeah once I have to pay for my, Electricity, Gas, Phone Bills, Broadband, Car Payments, Mortgage, Foxtel and mobile data plan every month, I'm outa here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Jimbo45 wrote: - "Once Ms go down the pay for this - pay for that by subscription then as the saying goes "I'm outta here". I don't mind buying my copy of OS / Office or anything else - but I'm certainly not signing up to subscription services".

Well, don't stop too suddenly, mate, or I'm likely to run right up your jacksi, as I won't be far behind you.

I'm all for the 'pay once - use forever' model of software purchase, and that's the way I'll be continuing. If MS monetise Windows beyond what I'm prepared to pay, well, there's always some form of Linux (I have several: Ubuntu; XandrOS, Puppy), and there's no shortage of good freeware and shareware programs out there, for both Windows and Linux.

I don't see Apple products as an option, I have owned an iMac and it was fine for what it was. But I found their 'walled garden' approach to be way too restrictive.

In fact, with the number of OSes and their associated programs that I currently own, I could probably go offline permanently tomorrow, never buy any software ever again, and what I have would probably see me to the grave. But I'd rather not have to do that.

The saddest thing is that, after overcoming some initial issues, I really do like Windows 8. Just not the direction it's headed.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Jimbo45 wrote: - "Once Ms go down the pay for this - pay for that by subscription then as the saying goes "I'm outta here". I don't mind buying my copy of OS / Office or anything else - but I'm certainly not signing up to subscription services".

Well, don't stop too suddenly, mate, or I'm likely to run right up your jacksi, as I won't be far behind you.
I'm all for the 'pay once - use forever' model of software purchase, and that's the way I'll be continuing. If MS monetise Windows beyond what I'm prepared to pay, well, there's always some form of Linux (I have several: Ubuntu; XandrOS, Puppy), and there's no shortage of good freeware and shareware programs out there, for both Windows and Linux.
I don't see Apple products as an option, I have owned an iMac and it was fine for what it was. But I found their 'walled garden' approach to be way too restrictive.
In fact, with the number of OSes and their associated programs that I currently own, I could probably go offline permanently tomorrow, never buy any software ever again, and what I have would probably see me to the grave. But I'd rather not have to do that.
The saddest thing is that, after overcoming some initial issues, I really do like Windows 8. Just not the direction it's headed.
Wenda.

I think we're all jumping the gun here a bit about this pay as you go. I know it's probably the way MS is headed but we don't know anything about pricing yet. Don't forget Windows and associated programmes are some of the most pirated programmes on the planet, this subscription scheme would be beneficial to MS, but also to us, as piracy will go down, hopefully.

I've already said that prices in the store are comparable to over 20 years ago, which can be attributed to cutting out the middle man and piracy. With a bit of luck this will be a win for us the consumer, but then I'm a bit of a dreamer.

I just hope developers don't get too greedy, otherwise I'll be outa here too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Trust Bill, he knows more about Microsoft's business that anyone here, apart from a few others. If Bill says that Microsoft isn't out to make you 'pay as you go' just yet, he's good for it. Bill also recommends that you buy a Surface, or two, or three, or...recommend it to your friends, relatives, workmates, buy a few as presents, they'll love you for it.

My Computer

System One

• OS

Wenda.

I think we're all jumping the gun here a bit about this pay as you go. I know it's probably the way MS is headed but we don't know anything about pricing yet. Don't forget Windows and associated programmes are some of the most pirated programmes on the planet, this subscription scheme would be beneficial to MS, but also to us, as piracy will go down, hopefully.

I've already said that prices in the store are comparable to over 20 years ago, which can be attributed to cutting out the middle man and piracy. With a bit of luck this will be a win for us the consumer, but then I'm a bit of a dreamer.

I just hope developers don't get too greedy, otherwise I'll be outa here too.

Hi there
tend to disagree totally.

In NO way is a subscription service beneficial to most consumers compared to what we have NOW -- i.e purchase Windows / Office / Photoshop etc and it's good FOREVER or until you get fed up with it and buy the next version on offer -- but YOUR CHOICE.

Why on earth would anybody even THINK of starting up this type of service unless it increased (or they thought it would) their revenue stream.

Assuming we could get W8 for around 120 USD one off price ---- that seems to be a typical average price that people are paying -- there's still a load of "cheapies" out there as well and the rest get W8 pre-installed with their computer.

So that's 10 USD a month -- and after two years you've paid DOUBLE to say nothing of possible payments for "Upgrades" i.e "Service packs" which will sneakily come in the guise of new releases such as Windows 8.51 or whatever.

The chances are anyway the minimum subscription would be at least 20 USD a month -- and at that price it starts getting seriously expensive for individuals.

This is a model I have no hesitation in saying for an INDIVIDUAL --STAY AWAY. For businesses it could make sense as this type of expense can be deferred against taxes -- but even here this is not really a future business model as companies implement the "Bring your Own device" more and more.

And to those who say we don't know anything about Ms's pricing -- well here's a start.

(This is just a start - prices will surely rise too : Office 365 basic pricing is 99 USD a year -- small business is 149 USD a year) -- now OK Office 365 allows install on 5 machines for one home subscription -- but how many people at home need 5 copies of office.

That's also the price BEFORE any taxes are added on -- sales / service / VAT or whatever. You can 100% be sure that governments won't allow Ms to deliver these services tax free. So add on say another 20 USD a year for tax -- up and up it goes. - Well I'm OFF that particular treadmill and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Then what happens if Ms introduce say Windows 365 -- will it also be similarly priced or cost more. Not difficult to see how pockets will get really squeezed.

BTW You can still get the very capable Office 2007 student and teacher edition for around 35 USD in some places.

Finally I can only say that if a subscription model is introduced -- in no way will Piracy go down --this is an EXTRA challenge I'm sure to people indulging in that type of activity so expect to see many more copies of THIS version around rather than fewer.

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• pirate.png
    pirate.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
You've sort of jumped from $10 to $20 a month Jimbo, that's a bit of a leap and looks a bit unreal to me. Like I said, lets wait and see before we say the Sky is Falling.

My Computer

System One

• OS
You've sort of jumped from $10 to $20 a month Jimbo, that's a bit of a leap and looks a bit unreal to me. Like I said, lets wait and see before we say the Sky is Falling.

Hi there
Monthly cost :

10 USD for Windows 365 (Guestimate), 8.50 USD for Office 365 basic -- Ms'es ACTUAL pricing so that's as near as matters to the 20 USD.
I'm sure a huge majority of Windows users have Office in some form on their machines either for use at home or work or both.

(Both Excluding any taxes). After taxes if this type of pricing is maintained will surely be over 20 USD.

If you look at RETAIL costs of Windows compared with RETAIL costs of Office (basic editions - not the full blown enterprise versions) you'll see that Office / Windows pricings are roughly the same -- what did W7 Ultimate full retail cost at the time -- wasn't cheap from what I remember - especially if it wasn't an upgrade. So I think my "Guestimate" of a "Windows 365" would be fairly near the mark.

In fact the Windows subscription may be significantly higher than the office one and finally - most finance depts. of large corporations don't want to deal with loads of separate tiny payments of a few dollars a month flooding their "Accounts Receivable" systems.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Trust Bill, he knows more about Microsoft's business that anyone here, apart from a few others. If Bill says that Microsoft isn't out to make you 'pay as you go' just yet, he's good for it. Bill also recommends that you buy a Surface, or two, or three, or...recommend it to your friends, relatives, workmates, buy a few as presents, they'll love you for it.

Come on Ray these are all your words, I haven't told anyone to do anything. All I've ever said is that I like Windows 8 and I can see the sense in what Microsoft is doing as far as developing a single ecosystem goes. You obviously have other ideas which I don't agree with, simply because I can see disaster in that direction.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back