Microsoft warns Windows XP users risk 'zero day forever'

Microsoft's latest tack in trying to wean users off Windows XP is to warn them of a possible 'zero day forever' scenario in the post-April 2014 support cut-off world.

Microsoft has been beating increasingly louder the XP end-of-support drum. Earlier this summer, Microsoft gave its reseller partners marching orders to step up their warnings about the end of support for Windows XP on April 8, 2014. This week, Microsoft echoed that warning, adding a new twist, via an August 15 post on the Microsoft Security Blog.

As Microsoft execs have been cautioning for more than a year, after April 8, 2014, users running Windows XP Service Pack (SP) 3 -- the last service pack delivered for the 11-year-old operating system -- won't get any more updates. That includes both security and "non-security" hot fixes, free or paid support options and online technical content updates

Read more at: Microsoft warns Windows XP users risk 'zero day forever' | ZDNet

Hi everyone,

Very good comments in regards to Microsoft XP Pro, in 2014 when support end...

FYI you will be able to run it forever and ever just make sure it your Installation of Windows XP Pro, 32bit or 64bit never ever see's or connects to the internet and make sure your LAN Adaptors are turn off, If not Microsoft with all their Update Servers and Security Servers in other words Bean Counters will ID your copy and lock up the Registry and you will be screwed...

If you don't connect on the Internet Via Direct Cable or WiFi or other means your Installation will last for many years on any hard drive...

What. . .:roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
Hi everyone,

Very good comments in regards to Microsoft XP Pro, in 2014 when support end...

FYI you will be able to run it forever and ever just make sure it your Installation of Windows XP Pro, 32bit or 64bit never ever see's or connects to the internet and make sure your LAN Adaptors are turn off, If not Microsoft with all their Update Servers and Security Servers in other words Bean Counters will ID your copy and lock up the Registry and you will be screwed...

If you don't connect on the Internet Via Direct Cable or WiFi or other means your Installation will last for many years on any hard drive...

What. . .:roflmao:

Vot is so funny? LOL

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel 2 Extreme 4 Core 3.2GHz X9770
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet
What i think is funny is how my doctors office still uses windows XP when are they ever going to learn.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Myself
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77A-G45
    Memory
    8 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    PNY GeForce GTX 660 Ti
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung Sync Master s27B550
    Screen Resolution
    1080p
    Hard Drives
    1 TB internal driver and one 1TB external drive.
    PSU
    Antec NeoECO 620 watt
    Case
    custom case
    Cooling
    Fans
    Keyboard
    steelseries apex
    Mouse
    stellseris sensel
    Internet Speed
    Unknowen
    Browser
    Google chrome
    Antivirus
    Norton 360 from comcast
I run quite a few older OSes in Virtual-Box. None are secure, so none go online.

But they are all still perfectly usable.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
What i think is funny is how my doctors office still uses windows XP when are they ever going to learn.

The entire medical profession uses XP. SCRIPPS uses it. They'll probably keep using it.

My sister in law, a Cardiologist, uses XP in a little Toshiba laptop, it's the only thing that can read the CDs she gets, with Active Content on them - They won't run in 7 or 8, blocked. Unless I can unblock it for her.

All of the big machines in Doctors offices, X Ray Machines, Ultrasound, etc plug into computers that have to run XP. So you can be sure, they will still be running with or without support from Microsoft.

Actually the government put some kind of block on computer updates in Medical and Government offices- I read about this a long time ago, but the last time I was in my doctors office it was STILL XP. No Updates allowed, no other OSes than XP allowed. That's why support has been offered this long. But you see, Microsoft is chopping off their HEAD by stopping support for XP, because at this time, they have an unbreakable Monopoly on all government and Medical computer systems. So, I can't wait to see what's gonna happen in 2014. Unless the government allows updates to Windows 7, the medical profession will come to a grinding halt.

I'll tell you one thing though, Since 2008, every Medical Office I go to, they ALREADY HAVE all of my medical records. When I got an X-Ray, I had to wait for it to be developed, then I had to march it back to the doctor's office. Not any more, it';s waiting for me when I walk back down the hall, it goes into the server, then the Doctor pulls it up for me when I get back.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
OK presumably Chrome, Firefox etc will still work on XP and those will continue to be supported.Antivirus programs will still be updated. Maybe MSE will still work even, unless MS takes active steps to prevent XP accessing the definitions.Large corporate users will simply save some money if they take support in-house.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD
    Memory
    4Gb
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Browser
    IE11
One guy actually got me to build a totally new rig approaching high end and insisted on putting XP on it despite the BIOS drive config having to be set to legacy IDE instead of AHCI ... in order to be able to load it ... and needing to make an nLite CD of XP with SATA drivers preinstalled on it to stop BSOD during install. All I can say is if people want to waste their hard earned $$$$ ... good luck!

Actually, you CAN install AHCI drivers in XP, they just aren't native. I've done it both ways, using a floppy during install, and retrofitting the drivers on an existing install. Bit more of a pain, but doable. I have a multi-boot system, running primarily Win 8/64-bit, but also XP 32-bit, which I keep simply for a couple of old pieces of hardware and software that won't run on 8. And I refused to go into the BIOS and disable AHCI every time I wanted to boot into XP.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Windows XP Pro 32-bit, Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit
My friend and I couldn't install the AHCI drivers via a floppy disc. :confused:
I was able to successfully create a slipstreamed install disc with the AHCI drivers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
When I tried to install it kept BSOD and BIOS in Intel board stated XP could only be run in IDE config for disks, and needed SATA drivers pre-installed.

Likewise floppy driver installation wouldn't work, using it on USB connected floppy drive because no IDE slots on board ... hence slipstream disk. Never thought of pre-installing AHCI drivers. Where would these be available from?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
When I tried to install it kept BSOD and BIOS in Intel board stated XP could only be run in IDE config for disks, and needed SATA drivers pre-installed.

Likewise floppy driver installation wouldn't work, using it on USB connected floppy drive because no IDE slots on board ... hence slipstream disk. Never thought of pre-installing AHCI drivers. Where would these be available from?

I got mine from the motherboard supplier or AMD directly, I can't remember which (AMD SB700 AHCI driver).
I create the XP install ISO using nLite.

I thought that Intel had a "generic" AHCI driver for their boards.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Thanks for the input Iehnerus. At the time I did go to the Intel site for drivers and didn't notice any AHCI drivers for XP. I got all the normal ones of chipset, LAN, etc, that were available for his board; plus the SATA ones that were slipstreamed with nLite, but there was nothing else listed. I can't remember the exact model of the board but it was extreme, and quad core duo, (hyper threading) i7 CPU. Maybe Intel didn't provide them for XP on that board?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
I was able to successfully create a slipstreamed install disc with the AHCI drivers.

I never had any luck slipstreaming with nLite, could never get a working disk. But the floppy method is simple, you just get those drivers from your motherboard mfr (the standard AMD ones are called ahcix86.inf, ahcix86.sys, etc.) and put them on a floppy in root position. Then, during XP install, where it says, "Press F6 if you need to install 3rd-party SCSI or RAID drivers", press and hold F6. It will come to a stopping point and ask you to insert the disk you just made. It will see the drivers and tell you what it's installing. That's all there is to it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Windows XP Pro 32-bit, Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit

I never had any luck slipstreaming with nLite, could never get a working disk. But the floppy method is simple, you just get those drivers from your motherboard mfr (the standard AMD ones are called ahcix86.inf, ahcix86.sys, etc.) and put them on a floppy in root position. Then, during XP install, where it says, "Press F6 if you need to install 3rd-party SCSI or RAID drivers", press and hold F6. It will come to a stopping point and ask you to insert the disk you just made. It will see the drivers and tell you what it's installing. That's all there is to it.
Yeah that's exactly what I tried doing but when it go to the point of asking to hit F6 it failed to read the floppy. Possibly the USB drivers had not installed at that point, as it was a USB caddy for the floppy due to lack of IDE slots.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives

Yeah that's exactly what I tried doing but when it go to the point of asking to hit F6 it failed to read the floppy. Possibly the USB drivers had not installed at that point, as it was a USB caddy for the floppy due to lack of IDE slots.

Like we've been saying, XP is OLD, in terms of computer tech. Back in the late 90s, when they were developing it, EVERYBODY had a floppy drive, and nobody had heard of AHCI yet. USB was still in its infancy. So no, the only thing XP will recognize during installation is a signal from the FDD controller. A USB floppy drive won't do the trick.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Like we've been saying, XP is OLD, in terms of computer tech. Back in the late 90s, when they were developing it, EVERYBODY had a floppy drive, and nobody had heard of AHCI yet. USB was still in its infancy. So no, the only thing XP will recognize during installation is a signal from the FDD controller. A USB floppy drive won't do the trick.
Thanks Roff. That confirms my suspicions. Fortunately the slipstreamed nLite XP disk was able to load SATA drivers obtained from Intel specifically for that board and that did the trick.

But it created another problem when he later down the track finally got Win7, but wanted dual boot with XP still there. And that bit was OK. But when it came to reloading Acronis images of either of the two OSs, the BIOS had to be changed from IDE to AHCI and vice versa, depending on which OS image was being loaded, for Acronis to see the applicable target disk.

I personally ran XP Pro as a virtual installation for awhile, but finally caved, and changed to Win7 on flagship and Vista on backup until W8 arrived. Now it's W8 flagship and Win7 backup. Not a lot of difference performance wise though, with SATA3 SSD HDs on both machines. Even Vista is quite respectable with SSD, sufficient RAM and correct drivers. It will do most run of the mill jobs for the average user.

With prices so much cheaper now on SSD, and durability problems in early models ironed out, I simply have 2 x internal 120GB SSD SATA3 HDs, with one for OS and other for storage; and two external HDs being an eSATA spinner & USB3.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
Thanks Roff. That confirms my suspicions. Fortunately the slipstreamed nLite XP disk was able to load SATA drivers obtained from Intel specifically for that board and that did the trick.

But it created another problem when he later down the track finally got Win7, but wanted dual boot with XP still there. And that bit was OK. But when it came to reloading Acronis images of either of the two OSs, the BIOS had to be changed from IDE to AHCI and vice versa, depending on which OS image was being loaded, for Acronis to see the applicable target disk.

I personally ran XP Pro as a virtual installation for awhile, but finally caved, and changed to Win7 on flagship and Vista on backup until W8 arrived. Now it's W8 flagship and Win7 backup. Not a lot of difference performance wise though, with SATA3 SSD HDs on both machines. Even Vista is quite respectable with SSD, sufficient RAM and correct drivers. It will do most run of the mill jobs for the average user.

With prices so much cheaper now on SSD, and durability problems in early models ironed out, I simply have 2 x internal 120GB SSD SATA3 HDs, with one for OS and other for storage; and two external HDs being an eSATA spinner & USB3.

For me, on the main machine, it's W8 by default, XP secondary, and Ubuntu 13.04. (I have a second machine running W7 default, W8 secondary, and Zorin.) Haven't used Acronis in several years, I've been using Paragon, and haven't had those problems. The only issue with Paragon is that it won't work on dynamic disks, I had to convert back to basic. But the AHCI thing has been no problem for it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I used to have triple boot to XP, Vista & Win7 but never got into Linux or Mac. Back in the day I did a lot of playing around with multiple HDs and partitions within the various HDs, RAID, VMs, etc. Finally got to a point where I just wanted to keep it simple and now only have 3 PCs, with one OS on each ... W8, Win7 & Vista. Have got a couple of real oldies for memorabilia, but still working ... one with Win98. Can't bring myself to ditch it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
I used to have triple boot to XP, Vista & Win7 but never got into Linux or Mac. Back in the day I did a lot of playing around with multiple HDs and partitions within the various HDs, RAID, VMs, etc. Finally got to a point where I just wanted to keep it simple and now only have 3 PCs, with one OS on each ... W8, Win7 & Vista. Have got a couple of real oldies for memorabilia, but still working ... one with Win98. Can't bring myself to ditch it.

I know what you mean, on both scores. Have to tell you though, that I would have NO trouble ditching Win 98! I refurbed an old HP, a few years ago, and used its Re-Install disk... which turned out to be Win ME, about the same thing. I gave that one away faster than you can say BSOD!

My Computer

System One

• OS
I know what you mean, on both scores. Have to tell you though, that I would have NO trouble ditching Win 98! I refurbed an old HP, a few years ago, and used its Re-Install disk... which turned out to be Win ME, about the same thing. I gave that one away faster than you can say BSOD!
Yeah totally understand that one. The annoying thing about W8 is how difficult M$ have made everything for desktop users. Such as a simple thing like booting into safe mode with F8 where you need to do a BCDEdit or use a third party app. It seems to be an endless litany of work-arounds and third party software to get it back to the efficiency of operation that existed in Win7.

In general terms PCs have only ever really been a hobby for me, aside from the actual work jobs I do on them like spread sheets for tax work, banking, music and movie editing, etc. I have no formal education in PCs aside from a few odd units from yesteryear when doing Electronic Engineering; and they're all prehistoric now. By no means do I have an in-depth, comprehensive range of knowledge.

I really only did things that needed to be done to make the PC work the way I wanted it to work; unless something got my attention and became a challenge or a curiosity. What I do know I know well, but there are a lot of gaps. And I could never get into it again like formal tertiary study, which would take all the fun out of it. All the repair work I've done for others was really to satisfy my own learning and interests. So they benefitted and so did I.

And sometimes I hope I'm not putting other person's data at risk. I recently fixed a late model Dell desktop with RAID setup for a friend. It wouldn't boot up. And after a lot of work with no joy was on the point of reloading, albeit losing his data. Then purely by chance when rummaging through the BIOS I discovered the disk config was AHCI instead of RAID. Changed it back and hey presto, all good! A month later without him doing anything, it changed back to AHCI. Still haven't worked that one out short of spooks, but this time it only took 2 minutes to fix.

Over the years I've repaired countless PCs pro bona for friends and acquaintances, especially after I retired. And the thing that never ceases to amaze me is why people don't back up their data to external media. It's so easy now with external HDs, flash drives, DVDs, cloud. Then when their PC crashes they fly into a panic at losing their data. One woman had something like 7,000 emails saved, and Outlook Express couldn't delete because the storage deletion temp was over the limit. There was a work around, but I mean, 7,000 emails already!!! And that was the scenario of my friend with the Dell.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
Back