Microsoft remains shackled to strategy after $900M loss

Computerworld - Microsoft's massive $900 million Surface RT gaffe may have been, as one analyst put it, "an absolute abomination" in operations, but the company will not -- cannot -- give up on the ARM-based platform, experts contended today.
"They haven't given up, not yet," said Frank Gillett, an analyst with Forrester Research. "Maybe in a year or two if, in fact, they're still struggling, but this is a determined company with a lot of cash and a large market presence."
Yesterday, Microsoft took a $900 million charge against earnings to account for a drop in the value of its remaining Surface RT inventory. As explained by Amy Hood, the company's new CFO, in a call with Wall Street Thursday, the charge accounts for a 25% to 30% discounting of the tablet as well as a write-off of an unspecified quantity of components and accessories, likely including some already-purchased parts that have not yet been used to assemble more devices.
But the company, which has repeatedly confirmed that it will remain in the hardware business, gave no hint that it would either dump the Surface RT specifically or scale back its plans to become a devices-and-services vendor.
Likewise, Microsoft will keep working the Windows RT side of the street because ARM, whose processors power virtually every smartphone, is critical to the company's phone strategy. With Microsoft bullish on its ability to merge the code bases of Windows Phone and Windows on the desktop, it would be idiotic to walk away from Windows RT.
Microsoft remains shackled to strategy after $900M 'absolute abomination' of a blunder - Computerworld

If M$ switches to ARM we can say good buy to all legacy desktop programs.

Nobody cares, they won't know. They will only see Ubuntu.

Mark is not going to find it easy. He doesn't have $2bn to spend on promotion, he can't subsidise anybody. He can't buy acres of space at best buy. It is not a level playing field.

It is not impossible - Mozilla managed to FF os going.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Andriod is Linux, iPhone is unix base and they are eating M$ lunch in mobile and more to come. Windows 8 phone is a distant third.
M$ is betting the farm on trying to beat Linux right now and they are losing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    System Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
Yes, that is true.

What is also interesting is the possibility of another full os size in the market.

It is made by Canonical and called Ubuntu. That is all the public will know.

It is possible Ricky Stallman will have some criticisms of it. He has far, far greater criticisms of Windows and Apple. Doesn't seem to stop many people buying them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
But, Linux community and Dev's don't have to support 25 flavors or even 2, get behind one good one.
The community and devs, and the consumer will ultimately decide that. That is how the free market is supposed to work.

But they WON'T. That's the problem. If that was likely, it would have happened by now. But instead, every so often, a new Linux distro rises above the others, only to be beaten down by the hordes for it's audacity to speak for them. This is a system cultural flaw of Linux, and something that cannot and will not change without some major shift in the political and licensing winds.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Andriod is Linux, iPhone is unix base and they are eating M$ lunch in mobile and more to come. Windows 8 phone is a distant third.

Actually, Android is *NOT* Linux. Android is Java. It just so happens to typically ship on a Linux kernel. It could run on anything and still be Android.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Linus Torvalds
And as Android has shown, Linux really can be very much a consumer product.

That is good enough for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Actually, Android is *NOT* Linux. Android is Java. It just so happens to typically ship on a Linux kernel. It could run on anything and still be Android.

Android is a Linux-based operating system[SUP][9][/SUP] designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers. Initially developed by Android, Inc., which Google backed financially and later bought in 2005,[SUP][10]
[/SUP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_%28operating_system%29
Apps are written in Java not the OS.
Android has a large community of developers writing applications ("apps") that extend the functionality of devices, written primarily in a customized version of the Java programming language.[SUP][13]
[/SUP]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    System Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
Android is not, technically, an OS. I don't care what the Wikipedia entry says. It's a framework. a set of libraries, and an environment. It can run on any Kernel it's ported to.

If you go to Google's android site, notice they don't even call it an OS. They call it a "Platform".

If you check out this image:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Android-System-Architecture.svg

The parts that are Blue, Yellow, and Green are all OS agnostic and comprise what is basically the entire Android OS. The kernel, the part in red, can be easily replaced with any other kernel that provides the same services.

The Wikipedia article is too simplistic. Linux has barely *anything* to do with Android, other than providing the basic kernel and device driver functions. Even multi-tasking is handled in the Dalvik virtual machine. Yes, Android does ship on Linux today, but it doesn't have to.

For instance, here's someone that has gotten Android running on FreeBSD

Android on FreeBSD | FreeBSD News

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Whatever you post, it isn't going to make MS the master of all.

You can disagree with Linus Torvalds till you go blue in the face - whatever turns you on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Whatever you post, it isn't going to make MS the master of all.

You can disagree with Linus Torvalds till you go blue in the face - whatever turns you on.

I didn't disagree with Linus. He did not say Android was an OS. He just said that Android has shown that Linux can be used in consumer devices, which it has. And what does any of this have to do with Microsoft? You seem to be inventing things which aren't there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650