Microsoft Looking to Tighten Up Windows 8 Activation Requirements

Microsoft’s activation service has always been somewhat controversial since its debut in Windows XP, but has turned out to be a necessary evil. The process started out being very forgiving, and to be fair, we have yet to hear of a single legitimate customer being turned away. Even when Microsoft was within its rights to deny activation as a result of terms in the EULA, a simple phone call was often all it took to resolve the dispute. Pirates have been taking advantage of Microsoft’s generous nature for years now, and new reports are suggesting they are looking to close down a few of the loop holes with Windows 8.

Read more at:
Maximum PC | Microsoft Looking to Tighten Up Windows 8 Activation Requirements

You can hardly pirate something that has not been released or is impossible to buy.

Of course you can. In all my years of constant (for example) music hunting, I've seen far too many times a finished product being leaked and spread on the Internet ilegally, and it usually doesn't go away.

Trying to activate it now is a form of piracy, it doesn't matter if it's still not available for purchase.
Also, it is true that many people did it with Windows 7, perhaps even of SF ( I wouldn't know, I don't think I was around at the time)...

You, however, like (I would assume) most others (in this community) are standing on that thin line between outright piracy for the sole reason of "stealing" ie. not paying for a product and the fact that the trial period may not be enough to suit your needs for testing, tweaking, and as you mentioned yourself, feedback.

Windows 7 was great partly because of the giant amounts of feedback given by those who wanted to test it, one way or the other (activating or not).

In the end, it matters if you actually buy the thing, not what you do before it (unless you actually spread it around ilegally). It is kind of a touchy subject that is even against the rules, I but will only dare say this: if you end up with the actual product in your hands and cough up the cash, "hacking" it beforehand is acceptable... in some cases, not all. With Windows, I both do and don't agree with you, but I understand and accept your reasoning. I guess I just still have faith in humanity xD

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire V3-531G
    CPU
    Intel B960 Sandy Bridge (2.2GHz, 2MB L3 cache)
    Motherboard
    Intel® HM77 Express
    Memory
    6GB (4+2) DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce GT630M with 1GB dedicated VRAM + Intel HD
    Sound Card
    Integrated audio with 2xHigh Definition Dolby® v4 speakers
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6" HD LED Acer CineCrystal™ (high-brightness 200-nit)
    Screen Resolution
    1.366 x 768 (WXGA)
    Hard Drives
    500GB SATA
    Keyboard
    Acer FineTip & MultiTouch Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 5M
Microsoft has the right to protect their product anyway they want, people who think they are completely invisible to outside forces on their pc's are just silly. That being said, Microsoft doesn't give a rats ass about your computer, hardware swap outs, what sites you visit etc, they just want to be paid for their product.

I have 3 pc's and a laptop in my home, all wired together in 1 GB network to deliver HD media throughout my house, updating for $40 is a reasonable price, why would I feel the need to handsome frog about activation and work arounds, geeze people, its $40 bucks.

TC :huh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro ($39.99 upgrade)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel I5 3570K overclocked to 4.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V LX
    Memory
    Cosrair DDR3-1600 (4 x 4gb)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GT 610 2GB
    Sound Card
    None
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 27" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x0180
    Hard Drives
    Seagate HDD 500gb (windows)
    Seagate HDD 1.5tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    PSU
    CoolMax 700watt
    Case
    Cosiar R400 Carbide series
    Cooling
    Cool Master H212
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    PowerUp 3 button mouse
    Internet Speed
    12mb down, 1mb up
    Other Info
    qty. (5) 120mm fans, four are monitored by motherboard.
    Logitech T650 Touchpad for touch screen gestures
You can hardly pirate something that has not been released or is impossible to buy. I will also never be using it as my main OS and more than likely uninstall after I have finished playing, just as I did with the previous builds, and if I do use it (unlikely) I will pay for it. But yes I find it exciting (not so much with windows 8) but I installed every single leak of windows 7 right up to the RTM and activated any copy possible, just like many others did on sevenforums. It does not make me a pirate. I sent a lot of feedback when testing the win7 leaks also.

I understand the point that you are making. And you are right, using the leaked releases, at the present time, don't make you a pirate. I do think though, once the official OS releases, if anybody continues to use their leaked releases then they have now crossed that line and are pirating software they they otherwise should have paid for.

I'm cognizant of the fact that not everybody takes piracy seriously or sees any harm in it. I'm biased as I have worked for commercial software vendors for my entire life and sales of the product ensure paychecks keep coming to keep me and my family provided for.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
So what does this mean for people who have the Windows 8 Enterprise x64 version and they haven't installed it? You can install it, but will be nagged to activate constantly?

Any comments?

I think that I read with Windows 7, that after the activation period expires and you get the screens saying that you might have non genuine software that the OS would occasionally log you out (not shutdown) if you are still not activated.

I honestly don't know the answer to your question though, as I either have activated my copy within the window, or just tested for a few days on a VM and never even came close to the 30 day expiration ending.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Also non activated windows 7 still allowed critical updates but not optional updates like media center stuff, browser updates and the like, stuff the most people would like access too. Sure one can run non activated windows but whats the point after a while, if its stripped down, nagging you all the time and becomes a burden.

It cracks me up because most people running windows 7 probably have a decent computer to run everything but won't pay microsoft $99 for an oem edition of windows 7. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro ($39.99 upgrade)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel I5 3570K overclocked to 4.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V LX
    Memory
    Cosrair DDR3-1600 (4 x 4gb)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GT 610 2GB
    Sound Card
    None
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 27" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x0180
    Hard Drives
    Seagate HDD 500gb (windows)
    Seagate HDD 1.5tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    PSU
    CoolMax 700watt
    Case
    Cosiar R400 Carbide series
    Cooling
    Cool Master H212
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    PowerUp 3 button mouse
    Internet Speed
    12mb down, 1mb up
    Other Info
    qty. (5) 120mm fans, four are monitored by motherboard.
    Logitech T650 Touchpad for touch screen gestures
It cracks me up because most people running windows 7 probably have a decent computer to run everything but won't pay microsoft $99 for an oem edition of windows 7. :(
:ditto:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
You can hardly pirate something that has not been released or is impossible to buy.

Of course you can. In all my years of constant (for example) music hunting, I've seen far too many times a finished product being leaked and spread on the Internet ilegally, and it usually doesn't go away.

Trying to activate it now is a form of piracy, it doesn't matter if it's still not available for purchase.
Also, it is true that many people did it with Windows 7, perhaps even of SF ( I wouldn't know, I don't think I was around at the time)...

You, however, like (I would assume) most others (in this community) are standing on that thin line between outright piracy for the sole reason of "stealing" ie. not paying for a product and the fact that the trial period may not be enough to suit your needs for testing, tweaking, and as you mentioned yourself, feedback.

Windows 7 was great partly because of the giant amounts of feedback given by those who wanted to test it, one way or the other (activating or not).

In the end, it matters if you actually buy the thing, not what you do before it (unless you actually spread it around ilegally). It is kind of a touchy subject that is even against the rules, I but will only dare say this: if you end up with the actual product in your hands and cough up the cash, "hacking" it beforehand is acceptable... in some cases, not all. With Windows, I both do and don't agree with you, but I understand and accept your reasoning. I guess I just still have faith in humanity xD

Either way, I have brought so many copies of windows over the years, sent so much feedback on windows 7 leaks/beta and other MS products, I feel I have the right to do this until it's possible for me to purchase a key. At this point I will probably just uninstall it as other than curiosity I really see no reason to upgrade from seven on my machine. I'm sure even Microsoft would not mind. If they do, tough.

My Computer

So what does this mean for people who have the Windows 8 Enterprise x64 version and they haven't installed it? You can install it, but will be nagged to activate constantly?

Any comments?

The 8 Pro that I installed nagged me for activation and kicked me into a Metro enter a new key or buy a new key screen. You could exit out without doing anything though. It was an in your face kind of deal though. There were also some customization personalization options greyed out until you activate. I only ran it for a couple of hours before nuking it and installing the RP. As far as I know Enterprise does the same thing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2

Hi there

just step off the horse a bit.

Imagine I'm in LA for a little bit of a Holiday (US "Vacation" - although what that has to do with Cows -- Latin -- VACCA I don't know. The word obviously came from the Latin source !!).

Say I buy LEGIT a DVD in the USA which is Region 1 -- no reason why I shouldn't.

Now if I try and play this on my laptop (no reason why I shouldn't do this either) it normally wouldn't work because of the regional encoding -- but LAPTOPS are used by people travelling all over the world.

So we have to use to "Software from dubious sites" to unlock this stuff so even though I've purchased it 100% legally in the USA it still wouldn't work on a European Laptop.

No wonder the whole DVD / Music industry is riddled with piracy. That whole B/S "Regional Encoding" thing alerted people to all sorts of "Other possibilities".

Good luck to those torrent sites still operating if they can circumvent this type of B/S where even if I PAY for a DVD it won't play on a European Laptop unless you download something like VLC player.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
hi Jimbo get dvd region free program then you can play dvds from anywhere in world on any comp and back to topic cant wait to can buy windows 8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 update 1 Pro X64 with WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    intel i7 2600k
    Motherboard
    Asrock H61M-VG3
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia geforce GTX 560 Ti
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Internet Speed
    100MB
What is more annoying to me is the RP and RTM are actually different:
am not talking about the rainbow colors, and the "metro" icons but the functionality they have removed.
gadgets are gone - glass is gone (alpha transparency on the desk top)
I have been running RP since day one and have been tweaking and customizing and debugging to get it to do what I wanted.
Happy Bunny and was quite happy to buy 4 upgrades.
RTM is leaked so just to verify everything is still OK, I installed and activated it.
No glass , themes have to be modified, no gadgets - has to be fixed.
Result I will now only consider one upgrade for support purposes.
I have been burnt in the past with ME just horrendous and the vista lack of drivers for a lot of my oddball peripherals
£200 down the tubes. Even if it is not fit for purpose you will never manage to get your cash back from MS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    xp , 7Pro, 8RP, Android phone, Tablet
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    q6600@3Ghz, amd 965 etc etc
    Motherboard
    gigabyte
    Memory
    8gb per
    Graphics Card(s)
    gts450 ,560gt etc
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3xsamsung 24in
    Screen Resolution
    3, 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    To many! spread across 4 desktops,3 laptops 1 netbook
    ssd, sata 3's ide etc
    PSU
    Hyper Modular 600W
    Case
    lian li
    Cooling
    artic
    Internet Speed
    60Mb
    Other Info
    Basically the house has 4 desktops 3 in the study + the wifes,
    3 laptops 1 netbook 2 android tablets 2 android smart phones
    and ipad and iphone
Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question but if I upgrade for 40$ will I still be able to dual boot with linux as the hardware won't have the uefi boot locked in.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows8 64bit
    self build
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel Corporation DQ45EK (LGA775)
    Memory
    DDR2 Size 4096 MBytes
    Graphics Card(s)
    M197WDP on Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)
    Sound Card
    Asus Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG FLATRON M197WDP
    Hard Drives
    64gb ssd drive as my c drive
    488GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HM500JI ATA Device (SATA)
    244GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG SP2504C ATA Device (SATA)
    PSU
    OCZ 500W ModXStream Pro Power Supply - UK
    Case
    coolermaster
    Internet Speed
    60mb
Back