Microsoft Cuts Windows 8 Price to $49 (€36.5) in China

Microsoft is getting ready to launch a new massive discount for those who want to make the move to the newly-launched Windows 8, cutting down the price of the operating system to no less than $49 (€36.5) in China.

According to a report by Chinese website WPDang and cited by Neowin, the discount campaign will kick off on November 11 and will run through November 24. Of course, Chinese users who buy the operating system at the discounted price can now switch to Windows 8.1 using the Windows Store update.

Microsoft is attempting to kill two birds with one stone with this new campaign.

First, the company is attempting to bring more users to its modern operating system, as Chinese uptake has so far been relatively slow, with only a few users rushing to see what’s new in the touch-ready Windows 8. Many are still running Windows XP and, with end-of-support coming soon, Redmond is hoping that more users will take advantage of this offer.
Microsoft Cuts Windows 8 Price to $49 (?36.5) in China

I changed my supplier but living where I do we don't have gas in the village just electricity and my place is on a meter rather than getting a bill every quarter. I do prefer that though even though it used to be slightly dearer at least I'm paying for it as I use it, plus my supplier hasn't put the price up yet.

The thing that got me though was the price hike in oil after Katrina and it never did come back down again, we have oil. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit/ Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Zoostorm/ Asus K55A Notebook
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2400 MHz
    Motherboard
    Foxconn 45CMX/45GMX/45CMX-K
    Memory
    2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM)/8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Corp 82945G Integrated Graphics Controller
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hanns.G HH221 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    ExcelStor (250GB)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (UK)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Just under 4MB download it's ADSL.
    Other Info
    Epson Stylus SX415 All-in-one Printer,
    Seagate Expansion 500GB External Desktop Drive
I changed my supplier but living where I do we don't have gas in the village just electricity and my place is on a meter rather than getting a bill every quarter. I do prefer that though even though it used to be slightly dearer at least I'm paying for it as I use it, plus my supplier hasn't put the price up yet.

The thing that got me though was the price hike in oil after Katrina and it never did come back down again, we have oil. :)

Hi there
you might do better to switch to or install LPG - Liquefied Natural Gas (mixture of propane / butane) --if it's not used as road fuel there's no tax on it and it should be a lot cheaper than heating oil which is some form of diesel (expensive) anyway or electric heating - even more expensive in the UK.

A lot of those Monster Winnebagos (RV's or Rediculous Vehicules -- where people travel "to the wilds" and then sit in ginormous car parks discussing how independent they are from society showing off their latest "Solar Powered" Can openers etc !!) use LPG tanks for cooking, fuel etc.

You need proper LPG -- normal "Bottled Gas " or "Calor Gas" type of Gas is usually just BUTANE which has a considerably lower calorific value than LPG - OK for cooking but useless for heating purposes.

Domestic use LPG is approx. a 50% mix of propane and butane --you don't want 100% propane -- far too dangerous for any sort of non industrial use).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB